Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Phase transfer catalyst request?

SHADYCHASE54 - 13-10-2017 at 18:55

Hello it's been awhile since I have posted anything, I am breaking my silence now to request aid in acquiring some PTC's of the tetrabutylammonium. variety. Ideally I would like the iodide or bromide however I'd be happy with any at reasonable price. Typically I don't have issues with acquisition my suppliers carry most of what I require and what they don't I can usually prepare myself. I would like to find someone in Canada who could spare some and or point me in the right direction. I don't like buying reagents cross border so a Canadian would be appreciated. I hope I've not broken any rules with the post, if I have sorry, I'm no longer well versed in the newer posting rules. No offense meant.

Also feel free to u2u.
Best regards,
Issac

AvBaeyer - 13-10-2017 at 19:36

Tetrabutyl ammonium bromide and bisulfate among other salts are available on Amazon. Not cheap but convenient.

AvB

Melgar - 16-10-2017 at 06:40

If you have n-butanol, it's easy enough to get n-bromobutane, and from there it's just a matter of adding to ammonia and potassium carbonate until it loses any amine smell. It doesn't dissolve well in aqueous solutions that contain a lot of potassium or carbonate, but dissolves very well in n-butanol, so you can extract with that.

SHADYCHASE54 - 18-10-2017 at 07:09

Thank you for your replies I did look at Amazon however I have recently found ordering from .com is near impossible when one resides in Canada. With regards to preparing the PTC's myself I would like to avoid it I do however appreciate the suggestion. I have yet to source 100gr.+ for a resonable price but am currently very hopeful.

Regards.