Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Any good (read cheap) sources of Tartaric Acid UK?

NEMO-Chemistry - 8-12-2017 at 12:40

I seem to be having trouble getting 200g of tartaric acid at a reasonable price, anyone got a reasonable source in the UK?

zed - 8-12-2017 at 16:02

What? You can't find "Cream of Tartar"? Should be around.

Looks pretty cheap in the U.S.. More spendy in the UK.

UK postage seems to be expensive. But, I have heard the service is lightning quick. Is this true?

Hereabouts, in the U.S., I can get half a kilo of Tartaric acid, reasonably priced.... And, they ship it to me for free.

[Edited on 9-12-2017 by zed]

NEMO-Chemistry - 8-12-2017 at 17:27

Didnt occur to me!! Yes i can get cream of tartar, your right about the price being a rip off though.
Thx for pointing out the obvious :D, nest time i will think it through better (actually thats unlikely). Still strange you dont come across it on ebay etc as Tartaric acid.

Must be one of those days, i have a list of stuff to order, i wrote this over several days. I have been slowly getting it ordered, except today I ordered GAA AND Ethanoic acid :S.

Must be in stupid mode today

[Edited on 9-12-2017 by NEMO-Chemistry]

bobm4360 - 9-12-2017 at 01:32

Don't know about U.K., but tartaric acid is sold here at brewer's/winemaker's supply houses.

Sulaiman - 9-12-2017 at 02:26

eBay ! ... e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500g-Tartaric-Acid-food-grade-home...

but if it is to make something like Rochelle salt then buying the salt may be easier and cheaper.

P.S. I'm not sure but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Cream of Tartar often contains substitutes for tartaric acid.

[Edited on 9-12-2017 by Sulaiman]

unionised - 9-12-2017 at 04:03

Cream of tartar is not tartaric acid.
It's potassium bitartrate.

NEMO-Chemistry - 9-12-2017 at 06:59

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
eBay ! ... e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500g-Tartaric-Acid-food-grade-home...

but if it is to make something like Rochelle salt then buying the salt may be easier and cheaper.

P.S. I'm not sure but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Cream of Tartar often contains substitutes for tartaric acid.

[Edited on 9-12-2017 by Sulaiman]

Thats really odd, i just ordered a load of stuff from them, i didnt see it anywhere!! Cant believe i now got to order yet more from them lol.

Thx for the link. I dont drink, so always fail to consider wine making places for stuff.

PirateDocBrown - 9-12-2017 at 17:54

I use the local brew and wine supply place for potassium bitartrate, tartaric acid, citric acid, potassium metabisulfite, tannic acid, calcium sulfate, all kinds of stuff.