Sciencemadness Discussion Board

An Interesting Find on Ebay

VSEPR_VOID - 22-12-2017 at 23:01

Thoughts on this little still? It might be useful for elements other than mercury.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Retort-Large-Capacity-Conti...

Bert - 22-12-2017 at 23:51

Would not want to be down wind.

XeonTheMGPony - 23-12-2017 at 05:54

not the best I've ever seen, cooling section seems a bit short, pot design is poor.

I'd not touch that with a 20 foot pike pole even if free as it'd be a hassle, So I wouldn't recommend bothering with the thought of it.

Buyer beware, the new ebay motto

EilOr - 24-12-2017 at 00:56

For 130$ you could build a 10times better still from steel and Cu parts within one day

unionised - 24-12-2017 at 03:00

Quote: Originally posted by EilOr  
For 130$ you could build a 10times better still from steel and Cu parts within one day

And, within a day the copper parts would be attacked by the mercury.

VSEPR_VOID - 24-12-2017 at 12:23

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Quote: Originally posted by EilOr  

And, within a day the copper parts would be attacked by the mercury.

So just a standard death trap then. I imagine the designers saying to testers, "but did it explode, no? Full production!".

SWIM - 24-12-2017 at 16:19

Gold miners have generally been pretty cavalier about mercury.
I've seen worse mercury retorts on Ebay, including a few made with copper pipe (and air condenser only about 2 feet long).

I sure wouldn't use that thing, and I doubt getting that pipe-threaded bottom off the pot would be much fun after you'd heated it a few times.

I would guess these things get fired up in the middle of nowhere on some mining claim where any escaping mercury doesn't harm anybody much except the operator.

A lot of the gold country out here is already pretty contaminated with mercury from years of mining so they probably figure a little more won't make much difference.

It's not uncommon to find gold nuggets in some parts of Northern California that have metallic mercury stuck on them.

Radium212 - 26-12-2017 at 03:35

Seems a tad ramshackle. Perhaps adding some vapour traps, or an extra condenser might make it a little safer.