Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Favorite Science Books

gritty_cryst - 28-6-2003 at 21:40

Hi all,
I searched the board and didn't find a thread like this one I'm trying to start. What are your favorite science books? Chemistry, Physics, Biology, etc. and each of their subdisciplines, what are the best books you have come accross? Besides the internet, what sources gave you the knowledge and understanding you have today?

To start, I must say Feynman's Lectures on Physics, which I am still in the process of reading. This three volume set is simply mind blowing. When skipping forward for a sneak preview, its hard to go back to where I was because I want to keep reading whatever page I landed on! I am also enjoying Linus Pauling's General Chemistry, even though most of the quantum mechanics stuff goes over my head (I'm not that far in Feynman's yet, but I plan to go over those sections again in Pauling's once I feel ready). Pauling's book is much more thorough and realistic than the modern first-year college general chemistry textbook I read for class.

Besides the two relatively recent historical landmarks I mentioned, I have great interest in other old science books. I see science as an evolutionary process, and I get great pleasure from learning exactly how it has progressed to its current state. I occassionally entertain the idea of reenacting original experiments such as some of the old alchemy experiments ( The search for the philosopher's stone, if you've seen the picture: http://library.thinkquest.org/3588/Renaissance/University/Al... which I recently learned from Pauling's book was the evaporation of urine, and then distilling the phosphorous from the solids left behind which glows while being oxidized by the air!) or even something much more elaborate like the original radiation or electron experiments.

I like this board very much and wish I had more to contribute, and perhaps I will some time in the future. Thanks for reading!

[Edited on 29-6-2003 by gritty_cryst]

vulture - 29-6-2003 at 02:00

I am also enjoying Linus Pauling's General Chemistry, even though most of the quantum mechanics stuff goes over my head (I'm not that far in Feynman's yet, but I plan to go over those sections again in Pauling's once I feel ready). Pauling's book is much more thorough and realistic than the modern first-year college general chemistry textbook I read for class.

Odd. My first semester of university chemistry covered those subjects (quantum mechanics, Schrödingers equation etc) very thoroughly.

At first you say "Whoa? What the fuck is that gibberish supposed to mean??" but as you advance you'll learn to appreciate the very unorthodox "thinking methods" it applies.

My favorite booklist:

- Basislexikon der Chemie, Rompp-Thieme verlag 2001
- Taschenbuch der Chemie, Harry Deutsch, 2001
-Organikum, Wiley VCH, 21st edition
-Organische Chemie, Spektrum Akademischer Verlag

And ofcourse my university syllabusses about chemistry and physics.

I have to admit shamefully that I've gotten higher grades for physics than chemistry until now...

[Edited on 29-6-2003 by vulture]

Rhadon - 29-6-2003 at 04:16

Vulture, could you give me the author or ISBN for this one: Organische Chemie, Spektrum Akademischer Verlag? Thanks in advance!

Organikum - 29-6-2003 at 04:54

Paul Watzlawick:
Anleitung zum Unglücklichsein

in english:
The Situation Is Hopeless, But Not Serious: The Pursuit of Unhappiness
@ AMAZON

Oh, yes. Thats science.
And highly recommended for everybody.

Chemistry:
Merck Index 12th

rikkitikkitavi - 8-7-2003 at 11:30

easy, Gmelin ... i would sell my mother for a complete library of those..

/rickard

willing to share?

Polverone - 8-7-2003 at 16:48

I will throw in most of my mother's side of the family for Gmelin. The last grandmother goes too if I can get the full print edition of Ullmann.

blip - 25-7-2003 at 19:53

Quote:

...its hard to go back to where I was because I want to keep reading whatever page I landed on!

I do that all the time even when looking for specific information in my chemistry books; I often see things that catch my eye as I flip the pages and it can take a while to get back to what I was looking for. ;)

Basement Chemist - 26-7-2003 at 05:21

yeah same thing happens to me "blip"

Ramiel - 26-7-2003 at 20:48

It's probably fair to say that everyone has this problem. As my ex-christian-education teacher might tell you, it is one of the dangers of a curious mind.

Haha, i even got stuck in the encyclopedia britannica...

back on topic; the only danger of advanced texts (eg. journals and fourth year textbooks) is they are highly specialized. Even though I might get stuck in "Advanced electrolysis theory with calculus" in the chem library, one rarely finds out anything of practical aplication.
Well, just MHO

-Ramiel

favorite science book

wrench352 - 7-8-2003 at 23:34

I'm currently into "The Chemistry of Powders and Explosives".Sounds dry but its a great read.
BTW:I've looked all over,where,how,do I get access to EliteForum's FTP

Eliteforum - 20-9-2003 at 05:38

Wrench352, I'm afriad the FTP is offline for the moment, however - I've got a little work coming up with my dad to help build 2 garages. So I should be able to afford to get some DDR RAM, and I hope not but I believe I also need a new PSU.

Then I have to pay £75 for cable installation, and £50 a month after that, should have everything within the month!

..hopefully, anyhow, anyone have a spare (350w minimum) PSU? Or willing to trade some DIMM RAM for some DDR RAM?

I have 1x256mb 1x64mb 1x32mb DIMM RAM will trade for 1x256 or 1x512 stick of DDR RAM and a full copy of the FTP? :P

NERV - 22-9-2003 at 16:01

My favorite books right now are PiKAL, And TiKAL :D . Although I know Ill never go into drug chemistry because of the risk, its still a damn good read.

I am also reading The Organic Chemistry Lab Survival Guide right now. It is definitely a must for anyone into organic chemistry.

EDIT: Grammer
[Edited on 22-9-2002 by NERV]

[Edited on 22-9-2002 by NERV]
--------------------------------------------

Deleted double post.

[Edited on 23-9-2003 by vulture]