Gigantic Nitric acid spill

guy - 29-3-2007 at 19:40

:o:o:o
Watch!!!!

Check out the size of that NO2 cloud

[Edited on 3/29/2007 by guy]

The_Davster - 29-3-2007 at 20:11

Can anyone say future source of ground leached nitrates:D

I know I would go over there(with gas mask)...look for areas of uncontaminated nitric acid pooling...and then later leach nitrates from the ground around the spill site:P

But seriously...thats one cloud...I suppose if that woman dident die from pulmonary edema already, I would be worried about cancer as it is carcinogenic...

(Either that and she is just lawyer happy and is hoping to profit off chemophobia)

bereal511 - 29-3-2007 at 21:31

*cries* 500 gallons...of...precious reagents...

Darkblade48 - 30-3-2007 at 03:10

500 gallons....that translates to nearly 2000 litres of precious nitric acid lost.

I wonder how concentrated the acid was, in order for it to fume that strongly during a transfer. I would assume normally HNO3 would be around 70%? However, for it to fume that strongly, perhaps it was of a higher concentration?

Fleaker - 30-3-2007 at 08:30

That is unfortunate. I didn't know it was carcinogenic, and for it to fume like that, it would have had to have been the red fuming variety. 70% nitric acid barely decomposes, but the 96% stuff is horrible.

Any further details on if it really is carcinogenic?

[Edited on 30-3-2007 by Fleaker]

12AX7 - 30-3-2007 at 11:08

Wouldn't it go nuts over the organic trees, shrubs and humus when it hits the ground?

Tim

Nerro - 30-3-2007 at 11:53

How is nitric acid precious? It's not that hard to make... For the company the lawsuits and the ensuing bad press will be the pricy factor...

But that's deserved, that cloud was fkn HUGE! doesn't it form some nitrite in the body as well? I believe that can act as a vasodilator... Must have been a lot of horny men taking care of their sick wives :P

Levi - 30-3-2007 at 19:53

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerro
How is nitric acid precious? It's not that hard to make...

It may not be hard to manufacture industrially, but in a home lab it is--nitrates are difficult to come by in large quantities in the US unless you happen to own a farm. Fixing nitrates from the soil takes a long time and zapping it out of the air requires lots of electricity and special equipment. At any rate, it's way too cool to just dump on the ground.

Quote:
Originally posted by 12AX7
Wouldn't it go nuts over the organic trees, shrubs and humus when it hits the ground?

I agree. Even a low concentration would begin to fume if you just poured it on the ground.

[Edited on 30-3-2007 by Levi]