Sciencemadness Discussion Board

New Nitrogen Era? Pentazolate (N5 anion) Energetic Salts Synthesized With Low Impact Sensitivity

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 2-6-2018 at 03:17

Lets go back a little bit.

2017:

First "real" synthesis that's not just an observation.
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/355/6323/374

24bt10m.png - 112kB

and as usual, a lot of "comments" and critics

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/359/6381/eaao3672

and then the responses, but as they fought on if N5- really existed...

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/359/6381/aas8953

Others made it too! Here late 2017, we have some studies using highpressure to synthesize N5.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.chemmater.6b04538

And then metal-complexes of the N5..

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/asia.2018004...

and caged structures.. like Na20N60

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ange.2017106...

2w5t2ww.png - 367kB

Hmm.. Just wow.

And finally, pentazolate anion as energetic materials! Not the strongest yet, but moderate sensitivity (15J) and around ~8000 m/s VoD

[M(H2O)4(N5)2]·4H2O (M = Mn, Fe and Co) and [Mg(H2O)6(N5)2]·4H2O
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature23662

Energetic Materials of Pentazolate:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/asia.2018001...

Cesium Pentazolate:
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.4971510

[Ag(NH3)2]+[Ag3(N5)4]ˉ
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-03678-y

(NaN5)5[(CH6N3)N5](N5)3- and (NaN5)2(C2H4N4)
http://engine.scichina.com/publisher/scp/journal/SCMs/doi/10...

xds4s3.png - 40kB

34fftqt.png - 40kB

And obviously, what about pentazenium pentazolate? Also, waiting for klapotke on his first pentazolate paper :)

[Edited on 2-6-2018 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 2-6-2018 at 21:58

Also, similar to oxides on tetrazole, what are the theoretical conditions that oxides on pentazole can form?

The hydroxylammonium, guanidine, polyaminoguanidines, polyaminotetrazoles, azodicarbonamide, carbazide salts of pentazolate might also exist with some stability.

SciMad, let's do pentazoles

Tdep - 4-6-2018 at 04:07

Lets take on the pentazole. Sciencemadness has previously made the magical world of the tetrazole a fairly easy task for the average home chemist, so perhaps we could do the same to the pentazole??
Once we're at the pentazole anion, there's a world of cutting edge chemistry waiting. People took that anion and mixed it with cobalt, iron, silver salts, and got into Nature! Probably the most prestigious journal in the world. I'm not saying it was easy, but never have I been so excited to try some cutting edge chemistry. And what's next, nitrogen sandwich compounds? Or just half sandwich compounds? Brand new organo-nitrogen chemistry, it's all possible.

Pictured is the reaction scheme we somehow need to achieve. Sure, everything needs to be cold, but that's a hurdle we can cross later. First up, comes the issue of the starting molecule.

2,6-Dimethyl-4-amino-phenol. There's 2 possibilities: either the two methyl 'blocking' groups are a complete necessity, or they're not. Lets explore the first option first:

That molecule isn't too common. Adding methyl/alkene groups to a benzene ring? Trash. Adding a phenol group? Shit. Adding an amine group? Well that's not too hard. If you had 2,6-dimethylphenol (from now on called '2,6-xylenol'), a mild nitration followed by a reduction, easy. So is there a source of 2,6-xylenol? I can't seem to think of an easily available one.

Another option is the plastic Poly(p-phenylene oxide) (PPO). Not all that common but i'm sure everyone would be able to find some around the house. If hydrolysis is performed however, will it break into 2,6-xylenol, or will it break into 3,5-xylenol? Or a bit of both??

The other option is the the methyl groups aren't strictly necessary. In that case one could use p-amino-phenol, which is only one step away from paracetamol! But yeah, those methyl groups are likely there for a reason.

Thoughts Scimad?

Dewar8yUwAEOxnq (1).jpg - 26kB

Σldritch - 4-6-2018 at 05:35

I am guessing those methyl groups are there to add electrons to the aromatic ring because that seems consistent with the phenolate so maybe another deprotonated hydroxyl group or two could replace it. If that is the case then dichloronitrobenzene seems like the easiest way to start.

Tsjerk - 4-6-2018 at 05:40

I looked a bit into p-amino-phenol before and too bad but it is very sensitive to oxidative polymerization (becomes black crap). So unless you can work under anoxic conditions it will make your life unpleasant (the m-amino-phenol is a lot easier to work with, but not useful here).

I think the poly(p-phenylene oxide) monomer would be a way to get your molecule. I think decomposition of the polymer will give you a lot of crap, as the polymer is not an ester. Also the plastic is not used in its pure form.

maybe get a sample from a manufacturer?

Ah, I found this:
Quote:

The thermal degradation of polyphenylenes and poly(phenylene oxides) was studied under vacuum at temperatures between 350 and 620°C. The volatile and solid degradation products were analyzed by mass spectroscopy, infrared spectroscopy, and elemental analysis. Overall mechanisms for the thermal breakdown have been proposed. Polyphenylene decomposes to form polymer carbon, while hydrogen is the major volatile product. Some ring breakdown occurs with evolution of methane.
I don't see how hydrolysis could help here.

Edit: as this is quite cutting edge stuff I would stick to the published routes, not trying to substitute/ghetto anything.

Apparently it is a food additive....
http://apps.who.int/food-additives-contaminants-jecfa-databa...

[Edited on 4-6-2018 by Tsjerk]

Tdep - 4-6-2018 at 06:08

I agree, I don't really want to substitute anything. It is even dangerous too, it's a lot of nitrogens to herd into a small paddock.
But if we can never getting the starting material, we can never start. The 2,6-xylenol is avaliable on eBay, 30g for $100 so there's always that option to fall back on, but maybe there is something more inventive?

Good reference about the PPO. The hydrolysis of PET proceeded so nicely but you're right, I'm confusing esters with ethers, it's a lot nice to break an ester than an ether. It doesn't look like a viable option at all.

Tsjerk - 4-6-2018 at 06:17

Ah, if you can get 2,6-xylenol I would start with that. I don't see any problems nitrating and reducing that. The meta position is de-activated, and nitrating the para will de-activate it even further.

Texium - 4-6-2018 at 07:06

It should be possible to synthesize 4-amino-2,6-dimethylphenol by acetylating 4-aminophenol and then running a double Friedel-Crafts alkylation with methyl iodide followed by deprotection of the amine

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 4-6-2018 at 10:13

Heres another pentazole synthesis chart - I hope this is more clear.

synthesis.png - 271kB

clearly_not_atara - 4-6-2018 at 10:22

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
It should be possible to synthesize 4-amino-2,6-dimethylphenol by acetylating 4-aminophenol
Also good for treating headaches!

Seriously though, if that FC alkylation works then this is the way. If not, maybe you can pull off a double Mannich reaction followed by reduction.

Also, you could possibly replace those two methyl groups by methoxy groups if you start with syringol and just nitrate/reduce. The nitration would have to be somehow mild, or you could try a nitrosation.

Texium - 4-6-2018 at 11:37

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
It should be possible to synthesize 4-amino-2,6-dimethylphenol by acetylating 4-aminophenol
Also good for treating headaches!

Seriously though, if that FC alkylation works then this is the way. If not, maybe you can pull off a double Mannich reaction followed by reduction.
Duh-doi!

Of course there's no need for starting with p-aminophenol and acetylating it when paracetamol is OTC and already the main source for p-aminophenol for amateurs! That makes the route even more easy and OTC since it eliminates the need for acetic anhydride.

Sigmatropic - 4-6-2018 at 12:13

Has anyone considered propofol as a starting material. There must be some online vendors supplying this material although I doubt it will be technically legal to import APIs.
Perhaps the tert butyl derivative is more suitable? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,6-Di-tert-butylphenol
Could it be accessible from tert butanol and phenol?

Texium - 4-6-2018 at 12:34

I wouldn't want to work with propofol due to the legal implications. And even if you could get it with a prescription, it would probably be very expensive.

[Edited on 6-4-2018 by Texium (zts16)]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 4-6-2018 at 16:48

Very interesting, but, is all of this too much?

100 grams of 2,6-Dimethyphenol is 20$, from the notoriously costly Sigma Aldrich

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/d175005...

Tdep - 4-6-2018 at 17:35

I suppose you're right, it does seem like a cheap industrial chemical. I can't buy directly from Sigma, and Sigma ships this particular chemical from the US anyway, but there are members on Scimad we could buy this through?

Texium - 4-6-2018 at 20:52

The dimethylation and subsequent de-acylation of acetaminophen really shouldn't be too hard. If there is interest, I would be happy to conduct that synthesis and send some of the (NMR verified pure) product to anyone interested who would pay the cost of shipping and credit me in their write-ups! I'd be happy to be part of a collaborative project with you EM'ers.

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 4-6-2018 at 20:57

I would be happy to conduct that synthesis and send some of the (NMR verified pure) product to anyone interested who would pay the cost of shipping and credit me in their write-ups!

Synthesis of?

(N5)6(H3O)3(NH4)4Cl ? The pentazolate as described in Zhang et al?

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

Tsjerk - 4-6-2018 at 23:33

I guess he is talking about the 4-amino-2,6-dimethyl-phenol

Edit:
In case the amino-phenol seems air sensitive; Couldn't the de-acetylation be done one-pot with the diazotization?

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by Tsjerk]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 5-6-2018 at 01:09

Hmm, would he really offer to synthesize a phenol compound for $ ? I dont think so, he must be talking about the pentazolate salt (I hope so haha)

Tdep - 5-6-2018 at 01:23

The amine phenol wont be air sensitive surely... maybe it might want to polymerise but it should be fine in air.
And what Texium is offering is to turn paracetamol into the 2,6-dimethyl-amino-phenol. And then he is offering to donate some, just for the cost of shipping. He's not trying to make money off of it no, if you want to buy off Sigma go ahead, but I like the cut of his jib.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in getting some directly from you Texium, but I'd be interested in replicating your results with my own synthetic hands. In the past I have turned paracetamol into p-DDNP and found that the paracetamol was a lovely starting reagent, it purified and crystallised well without any hassle and was cheap as it gets.

Texium - 5-6-2018 at 05:10

Tdep is correct- I am offering the 4-amino-2,6-dimethylphenol, which I thought I made clear, but I guess I didn't completely spell that out. I am not offering to synthesize and ship high explosives! I just figured it could save you a step and give me something useful to do.

Edit: another problem with that compound from Sigma is that it would still require nitration and reduction. The nitration should yield the right isomer predominantly, but I know from personal experience that reducing nitrophenols with iron is a huge mess. Starting with paracetamol is cleaner, though you need methyl iodide.

[Edited on 6-5-2018 by Texium (zts16)]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 5-6-2018 at 11:57

I am not offering to synthesize and ship high explosives!

I dont think the ammonium pentazolate hydrate salt in a solution would be anywhere near explosive. What would a price be for that? I might need for 1-3 grams.

Considering the high impact sensitivity of even the energetic N5 salts see :https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/asia.201800187

I dont think the salt is explosive, you can ship me the sodium pentazolate hydrate version if you want, which is probably less explosive than the ammonium version.

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

Texium - 5-6-2018 at 15:46

Quote: Originally posted by DubaiAmateurRocketry  
I am not offering to synthesize and ship high explosives!

I dont think the ammonium pentazolate hydrate salt in a solution would be anywhere near explosive. What would a price be for that? I might need for 1-3 grams.

Considering the high impact sensitivity of even the energetic N5 salts see :https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/asia.201800187

I dont think the salt is explosive, you can ship me the sodium pentazolate hydrate version if you want, which is probably less explosive than the ammonium version.
I suppose if the sodium salt is safe in solution, it wouldn't be very hard to make- though I would need to obtain sodium azide, and determine if I have access to a suitable substitute for mCPBA, which I have looked for in the past but found to be virtually unobtainable.

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 5-6-2018 at 17:31

m-CPBA is on aldrich for cheap.

I can financially aid you.

Texium - 5-6-2018 at 19:36

m-CPBA is on aldrich for cheap.

I can financially aid you.
Being able to order from Aldrich is the problem here, friend, not the expense!

Edit: also, on second thought, this is definitely not what I'd consider cheap for a workhorse reagent that is used stoichiometrically. Especially since it's no greater than 77%, with the remainder being CBA and water...

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by Texium (zts16)]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 5-6-2018 at 20:33

Zhang et al published both of these, in 2016, he tried many different phenols and benzenes, and was half successful (many of them needed cooling to remain stable), unsure why a salt was unable to be obtained.

In such cutting edge synthesis, i'd remain with his 2017 paper's methods.

Attachment: zhang2017.pdf (623kB)
This file has been downloaded 398 times

Attachment: Zhang 2016.pdf (681kB)
This file has been downloaded 403 times

Sodium Salt from Xu 2017 Nature:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature23662
Quote:

Methods

Safety precautions Caution.

NaN5 and other metal–N5 complexes are, in part, extremely energetic compounds with increased sensitivities towards various stimuli, therefore proper protective measures (safety glasses, face shield, leather coat, earthen equipment and shoes, Kevlar gloves and ear plugs) should be used. All compounds should be stored in explosive cases as they can explode spontaneously.

General methods.

All reagents and solvents were purchased from Sigma-Aldrich, Aladdin, and Energy Chemical as analytical grade and were used as received. The filtration and storage of the intermediate product were performed in a Coolingway DW-86W58 cryopreservation box. A Bruker AVANCE 500 nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer operating at 50.69 MHz was used to collect 15N spectral data. DMSO-d6 and CD3OD were employed as the solvent and locking solvent, respectively. Chemical shifts are given relative to MeNO2 for 15N NMR. High-resolution mass spectra (electrospray ionization) were recorded on a Waters Q-TOF MicroTM high-resolution mass spectrometer operated in the splitless mode. The samples were dissolved in methanol/H2O (70/30 by volume), and introduced via a syringe pump at 5 μl min−1. The instrument was run in the negative ion mode with a capillary voltage of 2,500 V. DSC plots were acquired on a differential scanning calorimeter (Mettler Toledo DSC-1) at a scan rate of 5 °C min−1 in perforated stainless steel containers under a nitrogen flow of 50 ml min−1. TG analysis was also performed at a heating rate of 5 °C min−1 on a Mettler Toledo TGA/SDTA851e instrument. X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS, XPS Microprobe, PHI Quantera II) was performed using Al Kα as a monochromatic radiation source (hν = 1,486.7 eV) at a power of 240 W (12 kV × 20 mA) at 25 °C. The total pressure in the main vacuum chamber during analysis was typically 5 × 10−8 Pa. The pass energy was set to 160 eV (energy step 0.5 eV) for recording survey spectra and 20 eV (energy step 0.05 eV) for high-resolution spectra. The carbon peak at 285.0 eV was used as a reference to correct for charging effects. IR spectra were recorded on a Thermo Nicolet IS10 instrument. Raman spectra were collected using a Horiba-Jobin Yvon Labram HR800 Raman spectrometer with a 514.532 nm Ar+ laser. A 50× objective was used to focus the laser beam. TG–DSC–MS was performed on a Netzsch STA 449 F3 Jupiter and QMS 403C at a heating rate of 5 °C min−1 under an argon atmosphere.

[Na(H2O)(N5)]·2H2O (2)

To a magnetically stirred H2O/tetrahydrofuran mixed solution (20 ml/20 ml) containing 4-hydroxy-3,5-dimethylbenzenaminium chloride31 (6 g, 34.58 mmol) and hydrochloric acid (36%, 3.025 ml, 36.31 mmol), sodium nitrite (2.505 g, 36.31 mmol) in 5 ml water was added dropwise at −3 to 0 °C. After 45 min, 45 ml methanol and 45 ml THF were added and the reaction system was cooled to −38 °C, after which sodium azide (2.360 g, 36.31 mmol) in methanol/H2O (22 ml, 1/1 by volume) was added dropwise. The resulting mixture was stirred at −38 °C for 1.5 h. The solution was removed by filtration at −60 °C (in a cryopreservation box), and the filter residue was washed with acetone (10 ml × 4). The off-white solid was collected and used in the next step without further purification after freeze-drying. A solution of the intermediate product sodium salt of arylpentazole (5.000 g, 21.64 mmol) and ferrous glycinate (8.600 g, 42.16 mmol) in a mixed solution of 100 ml methyl alcohol and 100 ml acetonitrile was stirred at −47 °C. After 30 min, meta-chloroperbenzoic acid (85%, 19.25 g, 94.82 mmol) was added in portions. The reaction mixture was maintained at –43 °C for 24 h. The precipitate was removed by filtration, and the filtrate was evaporated under reduced pressure. The residue was suspended in 200 ml of water, after which the precipitate was filtered off and washed with 50 ml water. The filtrate was concentrated, and after removing the solvent under vacuum, the residue was purified by chromatography with ethyl alcohol/ethyl acetate (1/10–1/3 gradient elution). Crude NaN5 hydrate was obtained as an off-white product (427 mg, 19.56%). Colourless crystals of 2 were obtained by maintaining alcohol (95%) solutions at ambient temperature for several days. Decomposition point (onset): 111.3 °C; 15N NMR (50.69 MHz, DMSO-d6): δ − 5.7 p.p.m. (s); IR (neat): νmax 3,491, 3,354, 3,293, 2,166, 1,651, 1,246, 1,219 cm−1; Raman (neat): νmax 1,188, 1,120, 1,005, 112 cm−1; HRMS (m/z): [M]− calcd for N5, 70.0154; found, 70.0156; analysis (% calcd, % found for NaH6N5O3): H (4.08, 4.13), N (47.62, 47.74).

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 6-6-2018 at 20:42

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/sci/suppl/2017/01/25/3...

Here is the supplementary material for Zhang et al 2017's paper.

The synthesis of the Ammonium-Pentazolate-Hydrate-Chlorate salt is described here:
Quote:

An aqueous solution of ferrous bisglycinate (2.65 g, 13 mmol) was added to a solution of
HPP (0.993 g, 5.2 mmol) in a mixture of solvents (160 mL) of acetonitrile and methanol
(v/v, 1/1) and stirred at −45 °C for 30 min. A cold methanol solution of mchloroperbenzoic
acid (4.26 g, 21mmol) was added. The reaction mixture was stirred at
−45 °C for more than 24 h, the insoluble materials were eliminated by filtration. The

collected filtrate was evaporated under vacuum to furnish a dark-brown solid. The pure
product could be isolated through a column of silica gel (ethyl acetate/ethanol, 10/1) with
an acceptable yield (19%, based on the number of moles of HPP) of (N5)6(H3O)3(NH4)4Cl
as an air-stable white solid.

Note: HPP is n 3,5-dimethyl-4-hydroxyphenylpentazole

Note 2: This synthesis is pretty brutal for amateurs. The below numbers and words are almost painful to read.

m-CPBA

Azides

-45 °C for more than 24 hours.

Filtrate was evaporated under vacuum.

19% Yield.

Texium - 6-6-2018 at 21:13

Yikes. 19% yield... The -45 C makes me wonder though, because 0 is easy (ice water bath) and -78 is easy (dry ice/acetone bath) but anything in between those is kind of weird. Does it really NEED to be at -45, or would it perhaps work just as well at ~-78?

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 6-6-2018 at 21:38

Hmm... they all look like high-yielding products until the last step of the salt.

As for -78... I honestly dont know. Acetonitrile has a freezing point around -50 I think.

Also, I am currently in contact with several vendors, from what I have yeard, azides are getting regulated more heavily, im still confident I can get it for you though.

I could get the iron bis-glycinate, sodium azide, do you need concentrated HCl, acetonitrile, tetrahydrofuran ?

I can also just obtain the 2,6-Xylenol to make stuff easier.

Edit: Use propane, maybe from a propane tank? Its boiling point is -43. Im pretty sure that'd be fine. Venting large amounts of propane might not be easy, but it could be done.

[Edited on 7-6-2018 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

nitro-genes - 7-6-2018 at 01:12

CaCl2*6H2O and ice is said to reach -55 C, so that may be an option, the dihydrate is cheaply available as dessicant. The required 24 hours may be a stretch though.

[Edited on 7-6-2018 by nitro-genes]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 7-6-2018 at 01:43

the 24 hours is a indeed a stretch, i wonder if it really... needs 24 hours, ill go to the literature and come back and edit this comment.

Texium - 7-6-2018 at 08:23

I could get the iron bis-glycinate, sodium azide, do you need concentrated HCl, acetonitrile, tetrahydrofuran ?

I can also just obtain the 2,6-Xylenol to make stuff easier.
Thanks, though I don't need HCl, acetonitrile, or THF. I don't want the 2,6-xylenol either because as I explained upthread, the route from that is a lot worse than the route from acetaminophen.

Tsjerk - 7-6-2018 at 08:37

If anyone needs NaN3 send me a pm, I have plenty.

Edit; I'm only offering to people seriously wanting to give pentazole a try, so basically anyone who posted above or who can give me a believable story why they didn't post before.

[Edited on 7-6-2018 by Tsjerk]

Tdep - 7-6-2018 at 18:15

Quote: Originally posted by nitro-genes  
CaCl2*6H2O and ice is said to reach -55 C, so that may be an option, the dihydrate is cheaply available as dessicant. The required 24 hours may be a stretch though.

[Edited on 7-6-2018 by nitro-genes]

The problem is that you still need dry ice to get to that temperature. In my experience, ordinary freezers can get liquids down to about -25 C. If you're getting dry ice, then you might as well just set the temperature using ethanol/water ratios. 24 hours is still always going to be a stretch though

750px-Phase_diagram_ethanol_water_s_l_en.svg.png - 57kB

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 7-6-2018 at 23:46

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
If anyone needs NaN3 send me a pm, I have plenty.

Edit; I'm only offering to people seriously wanting to give pentazole a try, so basically anyone who posted above or who can give me a believable story why they didn't post before.

[Edited on 7-6-2018 by Tsjerk]

Tsjerk, I think texium might be trying to obtain some, also im not sure if your U2U is bugged.

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 7-6-2018 at 23:59

Also on a chinese amateur energetic forum that I follow, a person has claimed to have synthesized (as described in Zhang 2017 et al) pentazolate salts, and he will be providing some of the information (although not all).

If he does release pictures / procedures i will post it here.

jepa - 8-6-2018 at 14:52

what are the theoretical conditions that oxides on pentazole can form?

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 8-6-2018 at 15:18

Quote: Originally posted by jepa  
what are the theoretical conditions that oxides on pentazole can form?

Great question, but first, Welcome to the forum of energetic materials!

There has been speculations that pentazolate-N-oxide can form, or even have 2 N-oxides !! However their stability lacks computational studies, and the so-far theoretical synthesis I would assume is.

Ozone might just do the trick, but whats tricky is that whether if we need to do it on a benzene-pentazole compound, since ozone will likely produce benzoquinones instead ? I am not sure if ozone oxidation of pentazolate salts will work.

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 9-6-2018 at 17:33

Some more information regarding Pentazole-N-oxide.
:

Attempted synthesis from DTIC 417664:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a417664.pdf
Quote:

Cycloadditions of diazenium diolates and other two-nitrogen species with trimethylsilyl
azide in an effort to synthesize pentazole-N-oxides were not successful; catalysts and conditions
will be modified extensively in the continuation of this effort

Attempted synthesis of 5-benzyl-pentazole-1-N-oxide:

Attempted Acid-Catalyzed Cyclization of N-Nitroso-N-Methoxy Benzylamine with Trimethylsilyl Azide Under Acid Catalysts to Give 5-Benzyl Pentazole-1 -Oxide 15
Attempt to Effect Acid Catalyzed Cycloaddition of Phenyl Diazenium Diolate to Azidotrimethylsilane Under Acid Catalysts to Give 5-Phenyl-Pentazole-1-Oxide 16

Figure 17. Silylation of dimethyl nitrosamine to give dimethyl silyloxy diazenium triflate.
Figure 19. Pentazole N-oxide synthesis from cycloaddition of azide to diazenium diolate.

Some computational papers:

http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2013/nj/c2nj40...
Quote:

Starting from pentazolate 1, the synthesis of nitro- and azidopentazole-N-oxide
5–8 can be envisioned by introducing first
either the oxygen atom or the nitro/azido group (Scheme 1).

We have explored computationally the reaction paths for the
synthesis of N- and N,N0
-oxide pentazole-based derivatives. The
mechanism for the oxidation by ozone has been determined
and the synthesis of some of the mono- and di-oxidized
derivatives studied here seems to be realistic, with a regioselectivity
in favor of the b-isomer for the mono-oxidized products. Nitration
can be achieved with NO2
+
BF4
, whereas azide group addition
through electrochemical pathways is not thermodynamically
viable. From pentazolate, the most accessible target seems to be
6. We recommend a synthesis in two steps from 1, with oxidation
by ozone followed by nitration. The oxidation of phenylpentazole
15 prior to N–CPh bond breaking and nitration can also be
envisaged.

http://www.hzyxb.cn/oa/DArticle.aspx?type=view&id=201112...
Quote:

N5O- 的
分解能垒为12.6kJ/mol,是 N-
5 分 解 能 垒 为1200 倍[20],预测其甚 至 可 以 在 室 温 下 稳 定 存 在

Translation:

N5O- has a decomposition barrier 1200 that higher of the pentazolate anion, and might even be stable at room temperature.

nitro-genes - 12-6-2018 at 11:58

A stupid suggestion probably, could any nitrene mediated ring contraction reactions of azido derivatives be made to work on high nitrogen heterocycles, e.g. 5-azidotetrazole and known N-oxides?

[Edited on 12-6-2018 by nitro-genes]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 13-6-2018 at 02:19

Screening benzylpentazoles for replacing PhN5 as cyclo-N5 − precursor by theoretical calculation
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11224-017-1026-8

(NaN5)5[(CH6N3)N5](N5)
(NaN5)2(C2H4N4)
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s40843-018-926...

- Not pentazolate, but this is ... polynitrogen in ambient conditions..
Cubic gauche polymeric nitrogen under ambient conditions
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-017-01083-5

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 26-6-2018 at 00:13

Interesting paper:

Synthesis and Characterization of Pentazole Anion in Methanol

https://caod.oriprobe.com/articles/50959132/Synthesis_and_Ch...

https://www.researchgate.net/search.Search.html?type=publica...