Sciencemadness Discussion Board

FREE chemicals

CouchHatter - 12-6-2018 at 17:07

There is a place a few hours from me called Environmental Management. They specialize in hazardous spill containment and the like. I have met with them a few times and gotten pounds and gallons of chemicals for free. About half of their inventory is dyes, epoxies, flavors, but the other half is organic solvents and reagents!

The representative explained it to me this way:
Industrial Dye Co. orders a pallet of 100 dye bottles. The warehouse forklift punctures one of the bottles on its way out the door. It's shipped to Industrial Dye Co... They refuse the entire pallet upon delivery. (This is apparently quite a common practice.)
EMI is called and removes the other 99 bottles from the premises, cleaning up any dye spills along the way. They relocate it to their warehouse, where they store it until it can be signed over to another party -- 1, 2, or 99 at a time -- and free of charge.

Attached is an inventory list. It can be found on their website, the last link in the 'Info' tab. It's updated a few times each month. They are government contracted, so I imagine there has to be at least a few like companies across the US. I left my license number with them, and signed a waiver promising not to ingest anything I received. That's it.

Attachment: EMIpd.pdf (431kB)
This file has been downloaded 764 times

Edited for continuity.

[Edited on 13-6-2018 by CouchHatter]

SelfInflicted - 12-6-2018 at 17:39

If i lived close by i would pick up some items from them. They have quit a bit of sodium hydroxide i noticed.

Bert - 12-6-2018 at 17:42

Two 50 lb. bags of lab grade Potassium chlorate.

8 gallons of Rooto sulfuric acid.

15 gallons of Lee & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce?!

Vosoryx - 12-6-2018 at 19:01

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

15 gallons of Lee & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce?!

Do you mean DELICIOUS IN A BOTTLE? Damn that stuff is good.

This sounds like a great deal for people nearby. I envy you, a lot of the stuff on that list is making me salivate. (Obviously, Including the Lea & Perrins)

Dr.Bob - 14-6-2018 at 04:27

That is awesome. I would go get the isopropanol, sodium hydroxide and other inorganics, then repackage them and sell for a deal if I could get there. Perhaps you could start a service of helping people by repacking these things.

I will note that I have heard of the same thing when large packages of food leak due to poor packaging, and shipping companies have to get rid of them. I had a 5 gallon container of soap I ordered leak once on a truck and UPS was not happy. Fortunately the shipper was the one on the hook for it, and I got a refund as well. But that should warn the people that ship chemicals to pack them well and then a second time.

Bert, do they also have some Al powder? That would make a great Dr. X product.

[Edited on 14-6-2018 by Dr.Bob]

ninhydric1 - 14-6-2018 at 09:34

I know Texium/zts16 lives in Texas, and this company is located in Oklahoma. Maybe he is able to pick up some reagents?

Hunterman2244 - 14-6-2018 at 18:13

Wish there was something like that near m

CouchHatter - 14-6-2018 at 18:24

Dr. Bob, I thought about that! I think it'd be really cool to be able to give back to members that way. I am building a lab right now that will enable me to store quite a lot. I will have to read up on best shipping practices in between then and now. If I'm going to make a thing of it, then it will be done to the best of my capabilities.

What is meant by Dr. X product? Maybe I need to UTFSE better? I snagged several pounds of aluminum sulfate:D

fusso - 14-6-2018 at 18:28

I wonder if there's similar services in vancouver canada? That way I could get sth when I visit there in the future.

Texium - 14-6-2018 at 18:33

Quote: Originally posted by ninhydric1  
I know Texium/zts16 lives in Texas, and this company is located in Oklahoma. Maybe he is able to pick up some reagents?
Heh. That would be nice, but due to Texas being a Very Large Place, it is still an 8 hour drive to there from where I live. Still, it may be worth a trip at some point if they have anything really cool, or if I'm going to be closer to there at some point on other business.