Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Making magnesium powder or bits for sodium hydroxide reduction

MöbiusMan - 13-7-2018 at 05:06

How can you break up magnesium ribbon into fine particles for use in making sodium-magnesium aggregate? Cutting it up is effort and takes ages so any suggestions are appreciated.

VSEPR_VOID - 13-7-2018 at 18:50

You turn a rock tumbler into a mill.

TheMrbunGee - 14-7-2018 at 00:19

blender?

j_sum1 - 14-7-2018 at 01:13

Turnings would be the traditional route. Do you have access to a lathe or drill press?

How brittle is your Mg? My ingots crumble quite easily and I intend to give them a bit of a bash with a hammer.

Ubya - 14-7-2018 at 05:03

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Turnings would be the traditional route. Do you have access to a lathe or drill press?

How brittle is your Mg? My ingots crumble quite easily and I intend to give them a bit of a bash with a hammer.

mhh he said magnesium ribbon, using a lathe or drill press would be ok with an ingot as you said, but with ribbon how would you do that?

maybe using first a blender to make fine-ish particles and then a ball mill to make them into powder.

trying to melt the ribbon into an ingot i suppose would end up in a metal fire

JJay - 14-7-2018 at 05:27

Is it safe to run magnesium ribbon through a blender? I imagine you'd cut or drill the roll into pieces first. I've run aluminum through a coffee grinder, but magnesium seems more prone to sparking, and most people can't flush their blenders with argon.