Sciencemadness Discussion Board

How did you find the Mad Science Discussion Board?

I am a fish - 29-7-2003 at 07:12

Basement Chemist - 29-7-2003 at 07:16

madscientist said my genious was desperatly needed here.

hiding form the DEA

vladsbyte - 30-7-2003 at 01:59

Dude! stay right where you are! .....Vlad

???

xxl - 11-10-2003 at 01:33

At Google during a search by typing in the word explosives forum or board...

Searching

chloric1 - 11-10-2003 at 16:32

Well I was searching for information on google for Calcium nitrate and I was referred to BASF's site and the URL was curious so I dropped off the cano3 part and just entered sciencemadness. org on my address bar. I saw and I was HOOKED! By the way, if I want to put something in the library, how would this be done?

blip - 11-10-2003 at 16:59

I honestly cannot remember! :o Maybe I should stay away from all that aluminum, lol. Though it was probably totse, a search, my bro, or I was looking for a chem discussion board. When I came, I didn't know about the bad connotation of "kitchen chemistry" :( so I was inititially quite confused. I really thought it was a catchy term for "home chemist".

PHILOU Zrealone - 13-10-2003 at 03:13

I'm an old fellow from alt.engr.explosive and from roguesci. So it occured to Madscientist and Polverone I could be of some help here.
I did check out their site.
I found it very interesting to be able to speak with really chem and science addicted people :D .
So naturally I decided to help and from the begining this site has grown to maturity, not only by the number of members but also by the level of scientific discussion one can read or reach. :o:P:o;):o:P:o
It has had some troubleshootings in the first 6 monthes but nothing severe and always a link to the new place and good care/following of the members.
Owing to the good quality of the posts here and to a lack of time, I have quitted roguesci, but I keep an eye on alt.engr.explosive and chemistry related alt. newsgroups.

Ph Z

Magpie - 1-11-2003 at 21:12

I wanted to make metallic sodium. So I did a search on Google and the MadScience forum came up. I found a fantastic thread on sodium making so was very impressed. I have been reading this forum for every waking moment for 2 days now. Resistered today as new member. I enjoy the wide range of expertise and balls-to-the-wall attitude.

PrimoPyro - 2-11-2003 at 21:13

I found this place by invitation when I used to frequent the E&W often. I liked this place so much better than the E&W that I stopped going there altogether, in favor of here.

PrimoPyro

JDP - 3-11-2003 at 01:04

Was told about it by a member here, with the initials T.N.T...;)

ech310n - 3-11-2003 at 01:22

I was curious as to how you make sodium metal so I did a search on Google which then led me to a thread on this board. I am now totally hooked to this forum :)

Organikum - 23-11-2003 at 10:03

Polverone forced me.......

No, it was a misunderstood piece of humor posted by Polverone on the HIVE Couch which led me here. As I remember I was the only one who thought it being funny....except Polverone himself....LOL

Iv4 - 29-11-2003 at 22:31

I saw a DPPP thread back in the rush for that and registered for the BS/TOTSE/Roguesi crap and I come around now and then.

trinitrotoluene - 30-11-2003 at 12:30

Must be over a year ago, that I found this link in the E&W forum. When I joined I stayed here.

zacktheperson - 6-2-2004 at 15:57

I found it while searching for info on ether cannons.

Saerynide - 6-2-2004 at 20:09

Found it when I was looking for specifics on making NaOH from salt.

BromicAcid - 12-4-2004 at 16:58

Recruited by Polverone from rec.arts.pyro possibly due to my phosphorus explorations which ironically enough I really haven't written about.

4s2 - 12-4-2004 at 19:20

I was googling for thermit stuff. a great find it was.

IgnorantlyIntelligent - 12-4-2004 at 19:58

The poll results arent visible. What the hell is the point of a poll that can't be seen? Now the chicken will die for this outrage!

BromicAcid - 20-12-2004 at 17:53

And there will be a lot more people viewing this forum, a lot of the time I go to google and search for chemistry information, sciencemadness is usually on the first page, and sometimes the first result. We are quickly becoming the main public form for some of the more obscure information and manipulations expecially those dealing with inorganic chemistry.

cyclonite4 - 21-12-2004 at 06:11

I originally heard about MSDB from roguesci, when a member would post a link to a thread here. I signed up, but rarely came here, until i was reading a thread at roguesci about DPPP. I looked up phorone on google and ended up here again, since then, i havent been back to roguesci.

I like this board better becuase it focuses on the chemistry rather than the application of the materials.

HNO3 - 21-12-2004 at 12:44

Rogue Sci *thumbs down*
MSDB 1757+:o BIIG THUMBS UP!!!!!! I'm hooked.;)

How found ?

MadHatter - 21-12-2004 at 20:13

By searching for a specific user on RS who also happens to post here. Glad I found it !

P.S. HNO<sub>3</sub>, you give RS the thumbs down, but Megalomania's lab involving the
precursors is good. I hope he gets it running again.

[Edited on 23-12-2004 by MadHatter]

MSDB

Joeychemist - 21-12-2004 at 20:57

I too found this forum through RS. I like how this place also discusses chemistry where as the E&W’s forum is strictly explosives and weapons. :)

Who started this forum???

Found it when looking for chem groups

FloridaAlchemist - 21-12-2004 at 21:36

I Found it when looking for chem groups from the google search engine or similar.;)

crazyredhead - 23-12-2004 at 23:35

found it while searching for the hive........ what the fuck happened ,, i mean even searches on google for key members left me with barely nothing

neutrino - 24-12-2004 at 07:33

The HIVE is not indexed by google.

rift valley - 24-12-2004 at 07:35

Quote:
Originally posted by PrimoPyro
I found this place by invitation when I used to frequent the E&W often. I liked this place so much better than the E&W that I stopped going there altogether, in favor of here.

PrimoPyro

Same for me, except I wasnt invited.

cyclonite4 - 24-12-2004 at 08:11

Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino
The HIVE is not indexed by google.

Thats why he ended up here, as we refer to the hive quite often (mostly for synths).

bennator - 29-12-2004 at 12:13

A link someone posted on physicsforums.

evilgecko - 6-1-2005 at 19:44

I think it was about a search on thermite of something that lead me here. Anyway, out of the four forums I am a member too (apcforum.net, roguesci.org, ukrocketry.org, and this one) I ave too say this is the best. Has the best topics, the most members, and an easy to use navigation system and a not to bad search egine. Top marks to Polverone, amdscientist and everyone else a sciencemadness.org ;)

Travellar - 7-1-2005 at 20:56

Google Search.
"Mad Science+Forum"

I was amazed I got what I was looking for on the first hit.

Other:

Polverone - 7-1-2005 at 21:14

created it :)

Sergei_Eisenstein - 9-1-2005 at 13:16

I found it while browsing the internet in search for methods to dispose of my current government. :cool: :cool:

¡Viva la Revolución!

halogen - 12-3-2005 at 18:49

I was a kewl. Naturaly i wished to expand my horizons beyond "ka fuckin boom"...
So I searched and voila! MSDB
:D Now Im hooked

PS:
applause for Sergei_Eisenstein.
:D

sparkgap - 23-6-2005 at 00:02

I found Sciencemadness courtesy of Google. What I was researching for at that time escapes me now, but after reading the posts, I got hooked and joined early 2005.

sparky (~_~)

P.S. Why isn't this thread sticky? ;)

kbk666 - 6-7-2005 at 05:20

I found this site through APCforum.net, I lurked for a long while but never joined.

Sandmeyer - 6-7-2005 at 05:37

Quote:
Originally posted by Sergei_Eisenstein
I found it while browsing the internet in search for methods to dispose of my current government. :cool: :cool:

¡Viva la Revolución!

Haha, a good one Sergei! :D

Twospoons - 6-7-2005 at 21:54

Like many others, from EWF. Got sick of their preoccupation with destruction, so I don't go there anymore. The ambience of this board is so much better ...

triphenylphosphineoxide - 3-8-2006 at 08:12

Bump
Searching for information on the Lead Chamber process, this site actually had usefull information.

woelen - 12-8-2006 at 11:42

I personally met someone from the Dutch chemixtry forum. This guy told me about sciencemadness, when we met, and after a few minutes of browsing, I immediately registered.

bereal511 - 17-8-2006 at 08:46

My friends were talking about making a chemistry forum a while back, so I was searching Google to find any good forums to mimic. Quite frankly, that chemistry forum never took off and I've been addicted to SM ever since.

metaminct - 22-8-2006 at 11:53

Found this board while searching for peltier cooling for cloud chambers. Wish I was more knowledgeable about chemistry so as to contribute more but sure find lots of interesting reading here.:)

CPC - 11-10-2006 at 03:11

I was doing research on advanced solid rocket fuels and found it

chochu3 - 12-10-2006 at 01:43

The HIVE

Elawr - 12-10-2006 at 18:49

StumbleUpon

denatured - 27-10-2006 at 02:28

"Was searching for something else and a MSDB posting came up as a hit."

I was trying to find organic chemistry books *1 , chemoleo was nice ... although I'm _still_ ashamed:( of this very post ... if I could delete it ...

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2393#p...

Baphomet - 12-12-2006 at 22:00

As others, the Hive.
I really see a forum like this becoming as much of a resource as ASD, and as much as the Hive ever was. IMO the ingredients are:
- Member research with experimental results
- Discretion of member posts especially when discussing sensitive issues
- Quality moderation of content
Currently the reason I like SM is for it's high signal / low noise ratio

pantone159 - 12-12-2006 at 23:58

I think I first found it searching for red cabbage chemistry.

Veruth - 28-12-2006 at 21:59

I actually came here after reading the Wired News article about United Nuclear. I was rereading it one day for some reason and thought I'd see what the place was like. I'm very glad I did. This is one of the few forums I post on out of all the ones I'm a member of. I tend to be more of a lurker normally.

Sauron - 29-12-2006 at 00:07

It came to me in a dream, I saw a snake swallowing its own tail and then the forum's URL appeared in fiery letters in the heavens as if the very finger of God was dripping triethylaluminum...

UnintentionalChaos - 29-12-2006 at 00:29

I did a google search for potassium permanganate production/synthesis or something like that. Very few good results came up, but a link to the thread on all the attempts to make it showed up, which I devoured as fast as my brain could take in the information (at the time much slower than now, since I was really rusty on my chem terminology). After several rereads and going through the entire thermite thread a few times over, I absolutely had to join. I am very happy I found this forum, otherwise, my chemistry hobby would be moving pitifully slowly right now and I'd be spending winter break bored stiff instead of living in the garage (lab setup on the workbench) and eating holes in stainless steel by accident from time to time :cool:

fajahadita - 13-1-2007 at 08:55

Googling for the biosynthesis of 5-HT from the amino acid tryptophan.

franklyn - 13-1-2007 at 22:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
It came to me in a dream, I saw a snake swallowing its own tail and then the forum's URL appeared in fiery letters in the heavens as if the very finger of God was dripping triethylaluminum...

You really ought to refrain from imbibing Absinthe for a while.

FANTOMAS - 24-1-2007 at 14:39

It was in my Karma! between vindoloo and chichen,nan.