Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Nitromethane Source: Super Glue Remover

Deathunter88 - 13-8-2018 at 02:54

Just wanted to leave a quick heads up that almost pure nitromethane can be found in super glue remover, such as this one.

The SDS claims 60-100% nitromethane, with just toluene as an impurity.
I have checked quite a few brands, and they all appear to contain it as the main ingredient. Just wanted to throw this out there to hopefully help someone.

ELRIC - 13-8-2018 at 02:57

That’s some expensive shit

Am I reading that right? 481$ a gallon

[Edited on 13-8-2018 by ELRIC]

Corrosive Joeseph - 13-8-2018 at 14:37

I would have thought nitromethane to be available in China........?
Maybe not any more.

France......... https://www.vpracing.fr/nitromethane,us,3,70.cfm

Australia...... http://www.vpracing.com.au/product/nitrorace

/CJ

davic - 22-9-2018 at 02:53

just so people will know; TORCO RACING FUELS sells 100% nitromethane for $81.70/gal. and 100% methanol for $22.75/gal.
and
free shipping

SWIM - 22-9-2018 at 16:01

Some super glue removers are based on Dimethylformamide, if anybody needs a bit of that OTC.
There were DMF based glue removers on Amazon last time I checked.

Used to be one with nitroethane in it, but I haven't seen that around in years.
Haven't really been looking for it though.

macckone - 23-9-2018 at 12:52

model fuel has a substantial quantity of nitromethane the last I checked. and is much cheaper.

Deathunter88 - 24-9-2018 at 01:36

Yep I agree that some of the sources listed in this tread is likely a cheaper source for nitromethane than super glue remover. This is probably only useful to those living in places where racing fuel is not available, or restricted.

Heck, in China any flammable liquids such as gasoline is not allowed to be sold to individuals (unless directly into a car), so RC racing fuel is even more difficult to get.

fusso - 24-9-2018 at 09:31

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
Yep I agree that some of the sources listed in this tread is likely a cheaper source for nitromethane than super glue remover. This is probably only useful to those living in places where racing fuel is not available, or restricted.

Heck, in China any flammable liquids such as gasoline is not allowed to be sold to individuals (unless directly into a car), so RC racing fuel is even more difficult to get.
Not even isopropanol?!

S.C. Wack - 24-9-2018 at 14:11

In this part of amerika nitromethane in any dilution hasn't been available locally for at least 30 years; not at hobby stores selling RC, not fuel additive of any kind...maybe the fire marshal has something against it.

macckone - 24-9-2018 at 14:26

Wack - order on-line -> https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=POWP132...

S.C. Wack - 24-9-2018 at 15:42

There is no source seeking here I'm pretty sure I can get a good price on 55% so I'm not clicking that, being aware of the internet and the many uses of nitromethane in methanol that could easily lead to restrictions and could have a long time ago.

Deathunter88 - 24-9-2018 at 19:27

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  

Not even isopropanol?!

Nope, not even isopropanol is allowed. Over here we use ethanol for disinfection, but starting this year they have banned the sale of ethanol above 75% for flammability concerns, and even the 75% stuff is regulated to death. Sale of any amount (even 100ml) requires a passport, and each passport is only good for one bottle a day.