Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Mozzie alert

tito-o-mac - 6-7-2007 at 07:05

Help!! I live in Asia and my area has been classified by the authorities as a dengue hotspot. Two of my neighbours have already been infectedby dengue fever and taken to hospital. I urgently request a need of a suggestion of a chemical to chase away the incoming onslaught. I have burnt mosquito coils but they are utterly useless to the effect that they even attract mosquitos. This requires an urgent call to arms to obtain a chemical effective enough to be able to effectively chase away the dengue mosquitos! Anti mosquito products have disappeared of the shelves of shops and I have to wait for a week to resupply (why so slow?)! Its going to be 5 days of head to head fighting with dengue mosquitos before the authorities clear the place. I'm armed with only a semi-effective 250ml anti mosquito repellant(note that it has only a one hour effect, most of the time less than half an hour) and a fly swatter, I'm scouring the Internet to find a chemical which chemical properties help repel mosquitos for long periods of times.

I request that everyone pit their sugestions urently. I am highly thankful of your support. Remember, everyday the mosquito army's scouts move closer everyday...

[Edited on 6-7-2007 by tito-o-mac]

[Edited on 12-7-2007 by tito-o-mac]

YT2095 - 6-7-2007 at 07:10

for a start dump any water you have lying around outside and in, Napthalene (even the P-DCB blocks used in toilets will help), place them around your house.

Anything X-methrin based will kill them also.

grow Marigolds.

[Edited on 6-7-2007 by YT2095]

tito-o-mac - 6-7-2007 at 07:16

thanks, I'm doing that everyday and its effects are significant to a certain extent. I'm trying out eucalyptus plants as a anti mosquito repellant: that'll extent my safety to 1 more day.

one more thing: do moth balls work? they're napthalene right?

tito-o-mac - 6-7-2007 at 07:23

The abandoned ricefields in our area breed hordes of fierce mosquitoes, and at dusk they attack in force. But it's hard to tell which is worse, the mosquitoes or the commercial repellents. The mosquitoes are horrific -- they're highly aggressive, you can be bitten hundreds of times without protection, it's torture, impossible to bear.
The alternative to repellants is incense coils, which you burn -- they fill the air with smoke containing insecticides. And indeed the mosquitoes are attracted?! I got hold of some local lemon grass ( a clump about 15" across) They said rubbing it on your skin will work...

tito-o-mac - 6-7-2007 at 07:25

I figured out that the stalk is richer in that mosquito repellant, so I'm also using it.
Lemon grass is also an effective herbal anti-fungal medicine (lemongrass tea) and in Puerto Rico people use the fibrous stalks as a natural toothbrush! Clean and tingling fresh! (Try it!)

tito-o-mac - 6-7-2007 at 07:28

According to the CRC Ethnobotany Desk Reference by Tim Johnson, lemon grass (Cymbopogon citratus) is traditionally used in various parts of the world as an antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative, cyanogenetic, dentrifice, diaphoretic, diuretic, emmenagogue, expectorant, pectoral, preventative (cold), stimulant, sudorific, and tonic, used to treat common cold, consumption, cough, depurative, dyspepsia, elephantiasis, fever, flu, gingivitis, headache, hypertension, insecticide, leprosy, malaria, mouth sores, neuritis, pneumonia, pyorrhea, rheumatism, sprains, and toothache.

roamingnome - 6-7-2007 at 08:48

since you typed in ALL CAPS i can only think to help.....

http://asia-sourcing.net/new-products/A-Z/1/1-octene-3-ol.ht...

since you are in asia... chemicals might be easier to get...

The use of Octenol in combination with CO2-baited solid-state Army miniature (SSAM) mosquito traps was evaluated under operational conditions while on deployment at the Shoalwater Bay Training area, Queensland Australia, during Operation Tandem Thrust 2001. The addition of octenol increased the number of mosquitoes captured by 5 fold. Additionally, a greater number of species of mosquitoes were captured in traps baited with octenol + CO2 than those baited with only CO2

good luck....

bereal511 - 6-7-2007 at 11:36

Have you eaten your daily dose of garlic?

franklyn - 6-7-2007 at 12:38

You may try improvising insect traps , of course you'll catch much more
than just mosquitos. At some distance surounding your residence place
3 or 4 white linen sheets soaked in water soluble adhesive over a frame
illuminated from within by a flourescent lamp.

Update
Know your enemy _
http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/MedEnt/MosquitoFS/Mosquito...
http://www.howstuffworks.com/mosquito1.htm
CO2 Traps _
http://home.howstuffworks.com/mosquito-magnet.htm
Even when used correctly, a mosquito trap takes time. It has to be in place four
to six weeks to have a significant effect on the mosquito population. It takes
that long for existing eggs to hatch and get captured. Once they have been
trapped, the population starts to decline.
Control measures _
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_IN171

[Edited on 6-7-2007 by franklyn]

hashashan - 6-7-2007 at 13:29

cats, yeah the furry animals. they are great to kill insects. start living in harmony with household animals. Cats will be great. or start growing a chamellion farm

Ozone - 6-7-2007 at 16:39

99% DEET works for me in south Louisiana (where the mosquitos will carry off your dog). We have at least 6 species here including the bastard asian tiger mosquitos:mad:.

That's m-N,N-diethyltoluamide if you can get the pure compound, just spray it on (seems to be good for hours). Tastes like shit though!

[Edit] there's some stuff regarding nepetalactone (from catnip), but no synthesis for DEET?! Shame!

existing thread:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2809&a...

a synthesis for DEET:
http://www.miracosta.edu/home/dlr/211exp7.htm

Perhaps we should outline syntheses which can avoid the "nearly there" precursor and, of course, the ever elusive thionyl chloride.

BEst of luck,

O3

[Edited on 6-7-2007 by Ozone]

Twospoons - 6-7-2007 at 21:58

Citronella oil is supposed to repel mozzies. I'm not sure how effective it is, but theres a solid market for the stuff. And it smells nice too (sort of lemony).

Day two of mosquito onslaught

tito-o-mac - 6-7-2007 at 22:40

Arggh I've been bitten by a salvo of ruthless ordinary mosquito ( those that suck blood and not have any dangerous disease) I've mastered the art of making HOMeR-"homemade organic mosquito repellant" that should kep them at bay:

To make HOMeR
-sustainable: made entirely from locally available renewable resources
-empowering: processed entirely by the end-user as needed
-eco-friendly: won't boil the planet or blow a hole in the sky. (don't forget today is Earth Day. ( anyone going for Live Earth?)

Chop up the cores of five or six stalks of lemon grass and put them in a blender with a tumblerful of spirits, blend thoroughly. Can be further diluted by adding up to half as much water. Next, take some peppermint plants, and again chop them and blend. Add to solution.

I used whatever booze I could find in my dad's booze cupboard, with my dad's permission (we hardly drink at all, but people keep giving it to us), and strained it into a sprayer. The extremely cheap Chinese brandy went first, the Absolut Swedish vodka worked even better and I didn't smell quite as much like winos, and then I used London Dry Gin. When I get round to distilling fuel ethanol, I'll use that.

The only problem is that it goes stale after about a week and loses effectiveness -- does anyone know why, or how to prevent it going stale?

Can you find a better way? These are some of the kinds of preparations you can make with herbs:

tinctures
infusions
decoctions
fluid extracts
essential oils

I heard that the amazing NEEM tree also works well. First formulated in India, the low-cost neem oil is mixed with 1-2% coconut oil

tito-o-mac - 6-7-2007 at 22:55

Creating an Artificial Cow
To create an artificial cow, you need to have three things:
A way to produce carbon dioxide
A way to create warmth and moisture
A way to produce the plant chemicals that cows produce
If you have these three things, you have everything you need to attract many varieties of mosquitoes. A machine that combines an artificial cow with an automatic vacuuming system would make a very effective mosquito trap.
Several manufacturers have created such a machine, and one of them is called the "Mosquito Magnet." The way these machines work is quite ingenious.

The source of the carbon dioxide in the mosquito trap is propane. Propane is a gas that contains carbon and hydrogen, so when you burn it you get carbon dioxide and water vapor. Traditionally, we burn propane with a flame, for example in a barbecue grill.

Modern mosquito traps put an interesting twist on the burning process. Instead of a flame, they "burn" the propane catalytically, using the same idea as that used in the catalytic converter on your car.

The propane comes in and hits the catalyst -- a set of ceramic beads or a ceramic grid coated with platinum. The catalyst converts the propane directly to heat, carbon dioxide and moisture without actually needing a flame. The advantage of this system is that you can catalyze very small quantities of propane over a long period of time without having to worry about the flame ever going out. In addition, there are no worries about other gases, like carbon monoxide or nitrogen oxides, being produced by the flame. The lack of a flame also cuts down on fire risks.

Completing the Trap
Carbon dioxide is not enough. To complete the chemical signature you add a cartridge that contains either octenol (a generic molecule that simulates plant chemicals) or Lurex (a proprietary mixture that simulates sweat chemicals). These chemicals act as strong attractants for different types of mosquitoes. Lurex-type chemicals work best on imported tiger mosquitoes, while octenol works best on mosquitoes native to the United States.
By mixing the chemical attractant with the carbon dioxide and moisture and then blowing it out into the surrounding air, the trap creates a plume of gas that mosquitoes find irresistible. They will fly upwind to follow the plume to its source.

When the mosquitoes get to the mosquito trap, they encounter a vacuum created by a fan, just like a vacuum cleaner. The fan sucks in air and the mosquitoes. The mosquitoes are trapped in a net bag, where they dehydrate and die.

Can anyone tell me more on how to build this thing?

tito-o-mac - 8-7-2007 at 00:39

Ugh I'm vomiting!

The_Davster - 8-7-2007 at 13:45

Mosquitos eh? I have spent the last 4 days camping in the northern Canadian bush, so mosquito heaven. Nothing works better than a good smoky fire. Get a nice hot fire going, and add green brush often to generate smoke. The DEET containing repellents do not work nearly as good as this. I was not bitten for the last couple days after my clothes were impregnated with smoke, various 100% and 25% DEET repellents, and grime.

Nerro - 8-7-2007 at 14:42

You must have smellt horrible though. Perhaps that might not be so great if you want to be able to live in a city...

The_Davster - 8-7-2007 at 14:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerro
You must have smellt horrible though.

Haha, ouch, yeah, gotta repell bears as well though lol;).
I never thought of the smell aspect.

Nerro - 8-7-2007 at 15:40

What exactly in woodsmoke is it that repells the mosquitos? Perhaps it can be synthesized, it need not nessesarily be a smelly substance.

jimmyboy - 8-7-2007 at 18:11

wear mosquito netting

The_Davster - 8-7-2007 at 18:21

CO2 and alkali carbonates I believe. I wonder if they are actually repelled, or if their flesh seeking abilities are impaired by the hyperabundance of CO2 in the air, so they cannot target a host?

JohnWW - 8-7-2007 at 21:23

DIMP (dimethyl phthalate) was for many years the standard mosquito and sandfly repellant, before it was replaced by the much more costly, but supposedly more effective, m-N,N-diethyltoluamide. I suspect that the latter was foisted upon us by a big pharmaceutical manufacturer simply because the patents for DIMP had expired and so was much less profitable than previously. To make things worse, some preparations containing m-N,N-diethyltoluamide are still being sold in pharmacies and supermarkets under the name "DIMP", in spite of containing no actual DIMP at all.

[Edited on 9-7-07 by JohnWW]

tito-o-mac - 9-7-2007 at 05:15

Finally the long awaited pest busters arrived and wiped out or relocated the entire breeding ground, placed BTI sandgranular insecticide as measures to prevent the outbreak from happenning.

Another form of repellant are the Hydroyethyl Isobutyl Piperidine Carboxylate, and Ethyl Butylacetylamino-propionate. DEET - N.N Diethyl-meta-toluamide.

here's more alternatives and options instead DEET:

Bite Blocker (key ingredient: soybean oil).

Picaridin, found in Cutter Advanced. This product has not yet been approved for children under 3. Picaridin, also known as KBR 3023, has been available for many years in Asia, Australia, and Europe. It was recently approved for use in mosquito sprays by the EPA and has been included in the list of repellent recommendations by the CDC.

Oil of lemon eucalyptus, found in Repel Lemon Eucalyptus, OFF! Botanicals & Fight Bite Plant-Based Insect Repellent. These products should not be used on children under 3. Repel is 30% eucalyptus oil. Pure eucalyptus oil should never be applied to skin.

Based on a recent study:

A product containing 23.8% DEET provided an average of 5 hours of protection from mosquito bites.
A product containing 20% DEET provided almost 4 hours of protection.
A product with 6.65% DEET provided almost 2 hours of protection.
Products with 4.75% DEET or 2% soybean oil provide roughly 1-1/2 to 2 hours of protection.

Also, I found this article from WHO providing information on Hydroyethyl Isobutyl Piperidine Carboxylate.

[Edited on 10-7-2007 by tito-o-mac]

Attachment: Icaridin_spec_eval_Oct_2004.pdf (146kB)
This file has been downloaded 913 times

sparkgap - 9-7-2007 at 06:59

Now, now, tito-o-mac, I understand your enthusiasm about this topic (tropical mosquitoes are a PITA), but seriously, all those consecutive posts could have been done away with the "Edit" button. ;)

The only thing I could add would be that the only thing icaridin (picaridin is a deprecated synonym) has over DEET is that it is gentler to synthetics. Otherwise, not significantly more effective or anything.

As I understand, concerns over the effects of phthalates on the environment were one reason behind their eventual phase-out.

sparky (~_~)

P.S. The reply below... PRICELESS. :o

[Edited on 10-7-2007 by sparkgap]

tito-o-mac - 10-7-2007 at 01:21

Am i spamming the message board? Please let me know if I am doing so! (Like right now?)

[Edited on 10-7-2007 by tito-o-mac]

DrP - 10-7-2007 at 05:12

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Davster
CO2 and alkali carbonates I believe. I wonder if they are actually repelled, or if their flesh seeking abilities are impaired by the hyperabundance of CO2 in the air, so they cannot target a host?

I once saw a program (or read it in a magazine - I can't remember) - That the mozzie will follow CO2 trails in the air to lead them back to the animal. (the animal will breath in O2 and emit CO2). Mozzies love me for some reason - even to the extent that my friends love it when I go fishing with them as I get bitten and they get left alone.

Dr. Beaker - 10-7-2007 at 15:04

I would recomand burning the rice fields with NAPLAM. brings back old memories of 'Nam
:D

sparkgap - 11-7-2007 at 03:39

Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. If it were not for the slightly inconvenient fact that Singapore has no rice fields to begin with, that just might have been a teensy bit plausible. :p

Anyway, I remember a survey done many a time ago by Union Carbide, back when 6-12 (ethohexadiol) was still a respectable repellent. Something about dark-skinned, sedentary, and perfumed people being the most attractive to mosquitoes. Yum.

Note to mods: maybe the thread title should be changed?

sparky (~_~)

Twospoons - 11-7-2007 at 15:09

From what I've read around the subject of mosquito traps, the various attractants often work synergistically. ie CO2 alone isn't very effective, neither is acetone - but combine the two and you've got a very enticing bait. Add some sweaty socks (seriously!) and it becomes irresistable. I've also read that the baits can be somewhat species specific, as the different species of mozzies prefer different parts of the mammalian host. Some like sock sweat (ankle biters) , some like armpit sweat (neck biters).

Know thy enemy!

greenyppols - 11-7-2007 at 22:43

What? Mosquitos passing on disease in Asia is new? A sudden onslaught of mosquitos? What, overnight? Seems odd one does not know how to deal with a pest in their own neighborhood of the world.

A Chemist call to arms, over a problem in existence for centuries?? Surely you jest.

odd..

tito-o-mac - 12-7-2007 at 01:35

Not really a rice field sparkgap, a small used-to-be abandoned around 100 square metre rice field near the east area where it is mostly occupied with local fishing farms near my house. It's dengue, and the area I stay is quite remote though Singapore is quite a small place, local authorities have taken quite a while to be alerted at this isolated place.

[Edited on 12-7-2007 by tito-o-mac]:(

[Edited on 12-7-2007 by tito-o-mac]

tito-o-mac - 20-7-2007 at 06:22

Burn it with Napalm: first sign environmental contract. next buy land. thirdly purchase 2 gallons of napalm. Next rent a C-130 and load it. Finally, purchase insurance and burn!

solo - 20-7-2007 at 06:39

..................yes, you're having a conversation with yourself.....find the edit button as the esteemed member suggested............solo

sparkgap - 20-7-2007 at 06:46

"Sorry for not being related to the subject!"

Better not to post it then. :p All of us could use less thread-clutter.

So as not to be entirely off-topic, I want to ask any who may know as to why dimethyl carbate and butopyronoxyl were phased out as insect repellents?

sparky (~_~)

tito-o-mac - 22-7-2007 at 08:51

I hope I'm not spamming this time, but you should take a good look at this patent: http://www.wikipatents.com/4164561.html

JohnWW - 23-7-2007 at 21:10

I could not read it on that site, even after registering an account and logging in!

cbfull - 19-8-2007 at 13:22

One thing that I have found useful indoors is an outdoor electric bug zapper.

Those things have proven themselves pretty much worthless for insect control if you just want to go outside after dusk and not be attacked, but they are fantastic for killing the bugs that manage to get inside the house.

When I was younger and laying in my bed trying to sleep, if I heard that high pitched sound of a mosquito near my ear(I'm sure you ALL know exactly the sound I am talking about), I couldn't sleep until I found the little sucker. I went to the basement and dug out our old zapper, plugged it in, sat it on the dresser and waited. It only took a minute or two for that sucker to head towards that blue light, and then I heard a very comforting "zap" that confirmed the demise of the mosquito.

Not trying to sound goofy but I wanted to at least get the idea out there.