Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Crystalline uranium metal

Hunterman2244 - 18-8-2018 at 12:45

Is it possible to grow crystals of uranium metal as is done with tin or silver? If so, how?

Hunterman2244 - 18-8-2018 at 13:02

[rquote=529907&tid=88482&author=Ph:D]Yes, just do things slooowly, for example cool liquid U slooowly, or slooowly vaporize and condense (make it vaporize at minimum temperature possible to achieve maximum size crystals), like days to months, depending on wanted size, there is nothing unusual about U except radiation, and there are crystals of most metals on wikipedia. Uranium is exception. Vapor method will need extremely low pressures but much lower heating unlike melting method. I performed thorough uranium crystal images search on whole www, and could not find any picture. Your question is interesting and insane.

[Edited on 18-8-2018 by Ph:D][/rquote]
I was thinking displacing from solution, rather than phase change, do to my lack of high temperature equipment. And the lack of info makes the idea more appealing.

Hunterman2244 - 18-8-2018 at 14:30

[rquote=529911&tid=88482&author=Ph:D]You quoted me before i made edit, so your quote is now damaged, LOL.
So that is why there are so many damaged pages on SM. :P
Maybe...

Well, solution method sounds safer, easier, but maybe it can't be reduced so easily, maybe complicated organic chemicals are needed...

Oh, and smiley is appearing whenever I edit something except when bbcode is off, but then i can't put my own emoticon. And when somebody quotes me there are 2 smileys.
Like it's smiley philosophy instead of doctor philosophy, first time that website is trolling.

[Edited on 18-8-2018 by Ph:D][/rquote]
it seems that iron should work.

Ubya - 19-8-2018 at 07:37

are you answering at yourself???

Hunterman2244 - 19-8-2018 at 10:03

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
are you answering at yourself???

No, PhD was being helpful for once.