Sciencemadness Discussion Board

What chemicals would you want if you could order them?

undead_alchemist - 19-7-2007 at 20:27

What package sizes do you like?

sparkgap - 20-7-2007 at 06:12

Hate ta burst yer bubble, bub, but s'been asked.

sparky (~_~)

evil_lurker - 20-7-2007 at 06:52

Generally chemicals are purchased depending on their need, and not because "boy it would be cool to have some of that". That being said, the type of chemicals one wishes to purchase is as varied as the direction of the wind blowing on any particular day minus typical lab staples such as HCl, H2SO4, HNO3, KOH, NaOH to name a few.

Chemical quantities is also varied. The general rule is more is definatly better as the more one buys, the cheaper they get per liter or kilogram as packaging and handling costs decrease. However, in the USA, this is offset by shipping. Take H2SO4 for an example. One vendor sells a four pack of 1L bottles of ACS grade for $55. Another sells 4L jugs for $42. If all one needed was 4L then the 1L bottles would be a better deal as the seller of the jug would have to charge a $25 hazmat fee since the 1L's can go ORM-D.

YT2095 - 20-7-2007 at 07:11

Quote:
Originally posted by undead_alchemist
What package sizes do you like?

well you don`t specify WHY one may not be able to order "them".
I`m OK for chems at the moment, but stuff I would LOVE to Order and cant are simply dictated by Financial restrictions, namely Thick Pt electrodes and PEM sheets.

there`s other things I would Like, but I cannot justify the cost.

and I wouldn`t say no to some dye laser Quartzware. ;)

chromium - 20-7-2007 at 14:31

I would like if there were shops for chemicals where i can just step in - and buy anything what i want with as small quantities as i need without paying that extra for small packages. For me most bothering thing with hobby chemistry is need to stock up.

I do not like ordering - it may be ok if you live in USA because almost everithing is available there but for me its costly (just do not like to pay 2x or 3x more just because i live far away), it also takes too much time and too often it leads nowhere as local distributors are actually unable or unwilling to do their job.

Returning to original question - what chemicals i would like to buy - maybe good "kit " for synthesising organic dyes: benzene, phenol, resorcinol, cresols, phthalic anhydride, oleum, phosphorous oxychloride, iodine, HI, RP, NaNO2, HCl - so i can try it all myself. Of course lot of these chemicals are available (and many i have) but if we are dreaming here then there could be shops where one can buy all of them without any problems.