Sciencemadness Discussion Board

The CTH Writeup by Barium as Tried Out by Bandil. Sciencemadness Members Clear Things Up!

stoichiometric_steve - 5-8-2007 at 03:32

see further below.

the original protocol is flawed and will only yield anything useful if correct purification of intermediates is performed.

[Edited on 28-8-2007 by stoichiometric_steve]

Sauron - 5-8-2007 at 17:03

Care to advance any explanation for this deception by bandit snd/or barium?

Any other clunkers in writeups by him/them?

I am sorry to see peer pressure forcing you to backpeddle on your criticism.

If this procedure in the hive is not reproducible then it deserves opprobrium. This forum, and that one are not formal peer reviewed venues, we are not constrained to cautious courtesy. Call a spade a spade.

The two most likely explanations for failure to be reproducible are

: Technical flaws in the procedure
2. Poor writeup

of course, this could be a case of 3. BOTH

[Edited on 7-8-2007 by Sauron]

stoichiometric_steve - 6-8-2007 at 05:34

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
Care to advance any explanation for this deception by bandit?

what do you mean? other than collecting credit at the former hive, there is no explanation. 'tis not the first time though that a (wannabe) chemist posts a faulted procedure, this also happens in the primary literature.

its not that i hadnt tried to make this work for like 5 times...there just never was anything near a homogenous system.

IPN - 6-8-2007 at 06:26

Would vigorous stirring be of any help?

Nicodem - 6-8-2007 at 08:39

Damn I hate people referring to some "writeups" without providing a link or citation. How the hell anybody is supposed to check what is wrong and even what is it talked about?

Oh my

volfrahm - 6-8-2007 at 09:15

Quote:
Originally posted by stoichiometric_steve
the writeup at the hive by bandil using Pd/C, KCOOH in IPA is, by any and all means, fake.
I'm not doing much with hydrogenation at the moment, and have never attempted any CTHs, but this thread caught my eye.

First, I had some trouble finding the writeup you indicated. Finally searching for the combination of reagents you mentioned, I found Post 382254 ("A great CTH method", Novel Discourse). This was written by Barium. Bandil's name was mentioned in the thread, but it is in no way his work. This is procedurally irrelevant, but your emphasis of the word faked intimately connected with the author makes this more a comment on the circumstances of the writing/posting than a critique of the procedure, wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
there is no way of getting a solution of 250mmol partially hydrated or aqueous KCOOH in IPA, all you get is two layers.
This is true...
Quote:
since this interferes with the reduction itself by not letting the substrate/catalyst/hydrogen make contact at the same time, this protocol is deemed to fail.
But this explanation is lacking. Your catalyst is a metal supported on a large amount of carbon; is this ever going to be anything but a suspension? As IPN mentioned, vigorous stirring is essential to this kind of reaction. Barium states this in the writeup, as well as his similar procedure in Beaker's "2C-B synthesis without LAH." In the absence of detail one might assume you followed this direction, but your comments about lack of contact suggest a static reaction mix. Are you getting two layers during the reaction itself, or upon first mixing? Because vigorous stirring probably won't allow two defined layers.

In fact, the procedure is designed to be non-homogeneous. Barium based this on US Patent 4,792,625, from which I quote:
Quote:
This three-phase system consists of an aqueous formate salt solution, an organic, substantially water-immiscible, solution containing the substrate which is to be reduced and a third solid phase of a Group VIII metal supported catalyst, without the need of using a solvent, high temperatures or a phase transfer catalyst.
[...]
A major advantage of the heterogeneous catalyst systems over the homogeneous ones lies in the ease with which the catalyst can be separated after reaction by simple filtration and reused afterwards.
If you had trouble and you think that the solvent system is the cause, Barium mentions that you can freely substitute EtOH and MeOH. Did you vary this in any of your 5 trials?
Quote:
the only valid protocol would use NH4COOH, which is soluble in MeOH.
Ammonium is apparently the most common formate salt used, but by no means the only one possible. And methanol is not the only usable solvent. Here's some reading if you're interested in the theory (1,2)
Quote:
what do you mean? other than collecting credit at the former hive, there is no explanation. 'tis not the first time though that a (wannabe) chemist posts a faulted procedure, this also happens in the primary literature.
I imagine that Sauron asked because of the way you phrased all this.

Forum researchers can easily be wrong (especially those who dose themselves with reaction products :D ). Peer-reviewed research chemists can be wrong. Patent chemists can be wrong, and even prone to mislead.

This procedure was written by a respected researcher, uprated to "excellent," and praised by several very intelligent members. Its basis in literature was clearly documented.

By employing "fake," "by any and all means fake," "wannabe chemists" you imply deceit—an intention to create something not genuine—and ineptitude. If you insist upon such incendiary language, you should probably: a) make sure you are right, b) familiarize yourself with the theory of the reaction to make sure your polemic makes sense, c) provide details of your process, if only to confirm that you followed it correctly, and d) try at least to provide accurate documentation (get the author right).

Or just try to use words like "incorrect" instead of "fake." And don't insult established members of the community, even if they make a procedural error.

Don't get me wrong, this procedure might not work after all. But based on your errors, absence of detail and lack of research into this reaction I'm going to assume that you don't know enough to say with so much certainty that the fault is with the procedure, and not your execution of it.

If you asked a question, someone with more knowledge might be able to help you out.....

The "writeup" in question

volfrahm - 6-8-2007 at 09:23

I still have this open, so I might as well. I'm not aware of any good hive mirrors, so I'll just clutter up the board with a copy:

-----------------------------------------------------

Barium (Hive Bee)
11-22-02 08:00
No 382254

A great CTH method
(Rated as: excellent)

Ammonium formate/Pd-C is the most commonly used CTH-system I´ve seen. It has been used to reduce -NO2 -- NH2, =NOH -- NH2 to name a few types of reductions. In the literature the reduction of aromatic nitro groups are far more common than reduction of alphatic nitro groups. This bad for us, since we have more often a far greater interest in reducing aliphatic nitro groups. The ammoium formate/Pd-C system is awesome for aromatics but can be very troublesome for aliphatics.

I´ve over the years had some success with the ammonium formate/Pd-C system for alipahtic nitro groups, in some cases with great yields. But far more often terrible yields. This is even though I´ve used 10 mols formate/mol nitro. mad So cursing like mad, I´ve usually ended up using excess Red-Al instead of dirt cheap formate CTH. frown

In the literature it´s stated that the different formate salts behave very different as hydrogen donors. Formic acid is usually the poorest donor, sodium formate is better , then ammonium formate (and trialkylammonium formates) and finally the best donor is potassium formate. In
Patent US4792625 potassium formate is used in a CTH procees for various aromatic nitro compounds. I tried this method to make some 2C-H in Post 326004 (Barium: "Better yields", Novel Discourse) with decent yields (64%). For some reason I completely forgot all about this system until two days ago. This method was now tried with a few nitroalkanes to see how useful it was as a overall CTH method for aliphatic nitro groups.

General method

50 mmol nitroalkane
250 mmol potassium formate
750 mmol water
25-50 ml IPA (depending on how much is needed to get a nice solution)
10%w/w 5%Pd/C (catalyst to substrate)

Add the catalyst to the reaction flask and and wet it with the water. Then add the nitroalkane dissolved in IPA and finally the formate. With good stirring, heat the reaction mixture to about 70°C on a water bath for 1-3 hours. The reaction is over when gas evolution ceases.

Here comes a nice twist.
when the reaction is over one can carefully acidify the solution to pH 2-3, filter off the catalyst and perform the workup as usual.
Or, filter off the catalyst/KHCO3 and wash it with IPA. Dry the IPA solution with MgSO4 and distill off the IPA to get the crude amine. Save the filter cake, because when the next batch of the same amine is to be made just dissolve the nitroalkane in IPA, add the filter cake and finally 250 mmol formic acid. Voila, potassium formate regenerated.
Do I need to mention that formic acid is dirt cheap?!

2-Nitro-1-(2,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-propane -- TMA-2*HCl 89%
2-Nitro-1-(3,4-ethylenedioxyphenyl)-propane -- EDA*HCl 84%
2-Nitro-1-(2-fluorophenyl)-propane -- 2-FA*HCl 85%
2-Nitro-1-(2,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-ethane -- 2,4,5-TMPEA*HCl 85%
2-Nitro-1-(2,4-dimethoxyphenyl)-ethane -- 2,4-DMPEA*HCl 91%
2-Nitro-1-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-ethane -- 2C-H*HCl 89%

-----------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Wasn't thinking, might as well attach a copy of the thread, too. Barium writes a couple more procedural/experimental posts.

[Edited on 2007-6-8 by volfrahm]

Attachment: 000382254.html (108kB)
This file has been downloaded 1088 times

stoichiometric_steve - 6-8-2007 at 10:05

phew, wow! spiked up quite some interest there.

those 5 times i have performed the protocol originally posted by Barium (i seem to have gotten this wrong, but i only have a copy of the thread where bandil applies this protocol to 1-(4-fluorophenyl)-2-nitropropane),

the procedure was in all casesfollowed exactly, to the point of where it was getting pretty anal.

to clear things up with volfrahm:

there was one trial with MeOH, one with EtOH and three with IPA. in all trials the mix was of course violently stirred, since it was obvious that a static three phase system wouldnt do any good.

whats more, and this is the major cause for my ranting, there is this disturbing statement by bandil "...depending on how much [IPA] is needed to make a nice solution", which refers to formate+substrate IN IPA.

i have attached the thread for your reference.

Attachment: cth tried by bandil.htm (47kB)
This file has been downloaded 1127 times

volfrahm - 6-8-2007 at 12:15

Ah. Details are good! :cool:
Quote:
there is this disturbing statement by bandil "...depending on how much [IPA] is needed to make a nice solution", which refers to formate+substrate IN IPA.

I'm not sure if that interpretation is accurate. Looking at the patent, the nitroalkane is dissolved in a fixed amount of alcohol as the first step, then Pd/C, and finally formate. Barium switches the order of the first two: "Then add the nitroalkane dissolved in IPA [to the wetted Pd/C] and finally the formate." Bandil says only: "The potassiumformate mixture was poured into the nitro/IPA flask in one portion." Less clear with the third iteration, but all three create a solution of nitro/IPA which is then added as a unit to the other reagents. Adjustment of the viscosity of the total suspension would (I hope) entail another step. In the absence of an object of that adjustment, and in light of the original procedure, it seems best to assume the word "solution" is used correctly.

Bandil's writeups are good, but he often cuts some pretty big corners. There is no purification of intermediates, and reagents are generated in situ right on top of them. We all do things differently, but there are lots of things I wouldn't attempt until I completed a synth as written; those are two pretty big ones. Of course, Bandil supposedly got very good results with the procedure as he wrote it—but if you can't duplicate it, there's a strong possibility of omission or error in his casual algorithm.

If you haven't yet, check out that patent. It jumps straight from theory into examples, without a lot of "claims" that usually explain the variables in more detail. But there are several things one could play with: addition of extra catalyst after stalled conversion, and a preferred temperature ranging 50º+ above Barium's figure, are two that leap to mind. Barium also made some modifications over the course of his three trials that are worth thinking about; acetic acid isn't mentioned in all of the trials.

Maybe ignore Bandil's synthetic bridging and attempt the two stages separately, with proper purification, so you can follow Barium's patent route with the actual reagents instead of reaction mixtures. Try following the solvent volume in the patent examples unless the nitro/alcohol solution is truly unworkable on its own.

And I'd encourage you to post still more elaborate details (as far as common sense allows, that is), such as equipment, exact procedure, and physical description of the reaction at its different stages. The more info, the more likely someone will recognize an element that can be altered to make the difference.

Well, good luck!

[Edited on 2007-6-8 by volfrahm]

Klute - 6-8-2007 at 18:11

Are you sure it's hydrogen gas that is generated? In the case of nitroarenes (which IMHO should apply to nitroalkanes), no hydrogen gas is said to be generated as long as an acceptor is present, in a three-phases system. [1] Of course nitroarenes are much more easily reduced than nitroalkanes, but it is still surprising.

Did you directly use the IPA solution obtained after the NaBH4 reduction as did Bandil, or did you isolate the nitroalkane before the CTH?

[1] Studies on the mechanism of Transfer Hydrogenation of nitroarenes by formate salts catalysed by Pd/C, H.Weiner, J.Blum, Y.Sasson J.Org.Chem, 56, 4481-4486 (1991) [very interesting read BTW]

stoichiometric_steve - 6-8-2007 at 23:17

volfrahm, as for purification of the nitroalkane, the nitroalkene was reduced separately using a solvent system of EtOAc in which were dissolved substrate and NaBH4 slurried and water slowly dripped in, hydrolysis with acetic acid after reduction, water washing after hydrolysis, and rotary evaporation of the solvent.

the nitroalkane itself was not further purified. after having it left to stand for a few weeks in the freezer, there was a white precipitate at the bottom - most likely remaining borate salts.

8,5g of the the supernatant nitroalkane were added the 2-phase system of Pd/C, IPA and KCOOH which was prepared as follows: 16.5g KOH 85% p.a. partially dissolved in IPA (~100ml), 13.5g HCOOH 85% tech. added, pH tested, some more drops HCOOH added until neutral. to this was added the catalyst (BEFORE addition of nitroalkane) and an egg shaped stir bar. stirring and heating to reflux was started, reflux maintained for 14 hours.

tee hee! out of the trial following this procedure, 49% of amine salt were isolated.

[Edited on 10-8-2007 by stoichiometric_steve]

Klute - 17-8-2007 at 10:09

Congrats!

I wonder what made your succes this time. Maybe some impurities in the crude nitroalkane poisonned the catalyst when added before the formate in your previous attempts? The Pd/C is a subtle animal..

When you prepared your formate solution, did it form two distinct layers (IPA+ aqu)? I find it unclear when you say:

Quote:
were added the 2-phase system of Pd/C, IPA and KCOOH

if the 2-phase system means solid catalyst + solution or isopropanolic+aqueuse solutions. I would guess solid+solution, but I want to be sure.

The problem could come from the hydride reduction, since the nitroalkane wasn't purified or characteritied, but that reduction usually seems to go on easily and cleanly, from what was posted at the Hive.

I would really understand what causes your failures before, it seems to depend on very subtle parameters...

In any case, thanks for sharing your results

CTH succes

Klute - 27-8-2007 at 16:30

Barium's CTH method was tried with succes..

Nitrostyrene was made using GAA/Cyclohexylamine with 78% yield, and recrystallized with MeOH to afford nice yellow plates, single spot on TLC.

Nitroalkane was made by Barium's EtOAc/EtOH borohydride reduction, using 4 equivalents, and was isolated and recrystallized twice from MeOH to give beautifull colorless needles, with an overall yield of 82%, single spot on TLC. A few mishabs during recrystallization must have causes some mechanical losses (The solvant system MeOH/H2O was tried, but resulted in the nitroalkane oiling out during two attempts, so solution had be diluted, extracted, and solvant removed again, two times.)

CTH reduction

0.17g of 10% Pd/C (Acros) were suspended in a little abs EtOH and pipetted into a schlenk under Argon, with magnetic stirring.
15 mL of abs EtOH were added with a syringe, followed by 7mmol of solid nitroalkane, under slight stirring.
3.00g (35.67 mmol) of solid HCOOK (very hygroscopic!) were added followed by 1,7mL (95.24 mmol, 2.67eq) of H2O, which caused immediate evolution of H2, and solid KHCO3 appeared.

The schlenk was fitted with a condenser and placed in a 50°C oil bath, and stirring increased, the gas evoltuion (monitered by a wash bottle connected to the top of the condneser) increased too, the stream of Argon was cut.
Small quantiites of GAA were added via syringe when the black suspension became too thick to be properly stirred. The oil bath was gradually increased to 78°C, a mild reflux set in.

After 5h of reflux, the mixture was much more fluid and gas evoltuion had practically ceased. (It had drasticly dropped after about 2h). The oil bath was removed, and the schlenk left to cool under Argon.
GAA was added under stirring in a ice bath until acidic (10mL, large excess) and the catalyst was vac filtered over normal filter paper, refiltered on the same filter to clear up the slight purplish tint. The solution came out crystal clear after the second filteration. The catalyst was washed with 10mL EtOH and 10ml H2O which where combined to the original filtrate. The catalyst was regenerated, see at the end.

The EtOH was distilled under light vacuum, at 45°C, until only water started to pass. The 30mL residu was diluted with 20mL dH2O, and washed with 2x15mL of DCM. The first wash had a amber tint (unreacted nitroalkane?), the second was clear.
The aq. was delicatefully basified with 20% NaOH, with 20mL DCM. The addition of the base caused cloudiness and an clear oil crashed out. As soon as the cloudiness persisted, the pH was > 10. The DCM was seperated, and the aq. extracted with anothenr 2x20mL DCM.
The combined organics where washed with 2x25mL brine, dried, and the solvant was removed, the water-clear oil remaining was left under vacuum to evaporate the solvant remains.

The amine base was diluted in10mL abs EtOH, and titrated with shaking with freshly prepared 10% w/vol H2SO4 in EtOH. This caused immediate precipitation of a white solid. The pH was frequently checked with dampened pH paper, and titration stopped as soon as pH was acidic.
The white solid was vac filtered, washed with 10mL EtOH and 10mL anhydrous acetone, and dried under a lamp, to afford the amine in a yield of 62%.

catalsyt regeneration

Following US3214385, the catalyst was washed with 100ml of 10% NaOH, passed two times, then with ~50mL of dH2O until the washes had a pH of 8.5. It was then dried under suction for 15min, and placed in a vial under argon.

Comments

The substarte was a sensitive one, but still gave very respectable yields, so this methods definatively works :)

Even if certain of Barium's methods haven't always been reproductible (Thinking of the "wet reductive alkylation" with NaBH4 which I've personally never seen/heard to give acceptable yields except by the author and another few), this one seems to be a efficient one. Few parameters could be modified to obtain excellent yields IMHO.

It's surprising that just by changing to order of introduction of the reagents Stoechimetric_Steve passed from failure to succes, alot of parameters could count.

BTW, I really recommend isolating and recrystallizing the nitroalkane between double bond reduction and CTH, the intial yellowish oil that solidifed quickly contained some colored impurities that could possibly mess up the catalyst or interfer in one way or another. By recristallzing the nitroalkane (if it's a solid!), on get's a pure product easily.
The final product will also be recrystallized although it seems to be very pure. The method of forming the sulfate salt, although satisfying, may not be the more efficient solvant-wise. The filtrate will be evaporated to check if any dissolved product is present. IPA or perhaps AcOEt could easily substitute for EtOH.

I don't know how vital the Argon atmospher is, but I prefer using it when I can, especially with the catalyst at the beggining; the gas evolution during the reaction, if some sort of bubbler is used, prevents any air to come in on it's own.

I also don't know how effective the regeneration of the catalyst is, I'll try it some day to see. Unfortunaly, it contains some filter paper fibres as it was scrapped off, I'll just compensate the weight next time I use it. Harder filter paper, or celite would be more avantageous i guess.

[Edited on 28-8-2007 by Klute]

stoichiometric_steve - 27-8-2007 at 22:48

in the meantime, i made the effort to distill the intermediate nitropropane. and boy, what a surprise: typically, the nitropropane from a NaBH4 reduction is a yellowish liquid, much lighter in color than the nitroalkene itself.

after distilling, the nitropropane came out colourless. there was a lot of reddish tarry residue in the distilling flask. the nitroalkane took on a very slight pinkish colour upon standing in the freezer for 3 days.

i am currently running a 150mmol nitroalkane trial with 9g Pd/C 10%, 270:30ml MeOH:H2O, 50g NH4COOH (95%), slowly adding HCOOH 98% (34g) dropwise over time to prevent carbonate deposition on the catalyst. the mix is argon flushed and mechanically stirred.

i am pretty sure the bad yields i previously got from Zn/HCOOH and CTH reductions were due to very impure nitroalkane, after seeing it distil as a colourless liquid...
so, if you can afford a high vac pump (i was as lucky as can be and was donated a new edwards e2m1.5 which pulls down to 0,04torr when connected to a still with 60cm vigreux), you should always distill the nitroalkanes after double bond reduction.

will report yields asap.

Klute - 28-8-2007 at 06:48

I think we can agree that isolating and purifying the intermediate nitroalkane is a necessary step to obtain descent yields...

If the nitroalkane is a liquid and a strong vacuum isn't availble, at least a few washes would be needfull IMO.

PS: I think the title could be changed :)

[Edited on 28-8-2007 by Klute]

stoichiometric_steve - 28-8-2007 at 14:40

WHATS THIS: when passing Ar thru the reaction mix, a large amount of fog is continuously generated. i took a tiny wiff at it and it smelled sweetish (not ammoniacal or amine-like).

JohnWW - 28-8-2007 at 18:41

I doubt that there is any way that the argon could have reacted with the reaction mixture. The gas has recently been found to react with the greatest difficulty only with F2, and that under the most extreme conditions, and by irradiation of its clathrate with frozen HF, forming HArF and ArF2.

stoichiometric_steve - 29-8-2007 at 01:14

i didnt expect the argon to react in any way, but quite obviously it displaces another component in the reaction mix. the question is WHICH?

[Edited on 29-8-2007 by stoichiometric_steve]

Klute - 29-8-2007 at 08:01

That's strange... was that with using IPA? Had you added any GAA yet?

stoichiometric_steve - 29-8-2007 at 12:43

Experiment 1:

9g of wet (probably 25% H2O) 10% Pd/C was introduced in a 3-neck 500ml RBF equipped with reflux condenser and an overhead stirrer.

150mmol of a previously distilled substituted phenyl-2-nitropropane (a water-clear liquid with a very slight pinkish tint) was added to wet the catalyst.

270:30ml MeOH:H2O and 50g NH4COOH was added, stirring started, the mix was flushed with Argon (which produced the strange fumes mentioned above, by apparently displacing some gaseous material dissolved in MeOH) and 34g HCOOH 98% was added dropwise over the course of the reaction (1 drop every ~20 secs).

the reaction was allowed to stir for 24 hours.

addition of a bit of 20%w/w H2SO4 caused CO2 evolution and a white, flaky, voluminous precipitate appeared (this is your product!:)) which dissolved upon addition of water.

the workup should be done like this:

Filter the reaction mix through coarse filter paper twice without acidifying. rinse the filter cake generously with MeOH and add the washes to the main filtrate.

the precipitate in the filter will be washed away with dH2O and kept separately.

the main MeOH/H2O filtrate probably needs to be filtered once more on fine filter paper which removes the rest of the suspended catalyst.

the catalyst wasn't regenerated as in previous runs, it was rinsed with MeOH and a bit of 20%w/w H2SO4, scraped from the filter paper with a spatula and put in a small bottle. the filter paper, to which a lot of catalyst still stuck, was suspended and stirred with 3x 10ml dH2O to wash out some more catalyst. this method produces a ready-to-use mix of catalyst along with the amount of water needed for another 150mmol batch. to get all of the catalyst out, the bottle can be rinsed with MeOH.

acidify the filtrate and remove the MeOH in vacuo. combine both filtrates (make sure the combined filtrates are now acidic) and extract 3 times with toluene (or something that pulls shit equally good...i just love it). basify and extract 3 times with toluene. dry toluene with Na2SO4, remove toluene in vacuo et voilà! :)

i didnt get as far as to remove the toluene since it was pretty late already - so i dont know any yields. but: upon adding NaOH (aq. ~25%), there were heavy milky clouds with droplets about 1mm in diameter rising to the liquid surface, forming a separate layer approximately 2mm*55mm²*pi = ~19ml :). the freebase will be saved and distilled after another verification batch with the recycled catalst has been run.

happy birthday.

Klute - 30-8-2007 at 04:33

That looks good :)

One question: Why do you (and alot of other writeups) acidify after you have filtered the catalyst?
Why not add dilute acid, a little water to dissolved any eventual precipitated product, filter and then strip the alcohol? I personally always feel more confortable with the product as an salt doing work up, except when it's diluted in non-polar solvants of course.

I guess it less troublesome when using NH4OOCH, but with HCOOK, the solid KHCO3 could retain quite some product, even with a few alcohol washes (which are going to be distilled afterwards), but if you acidify before filtering, you only have the fine catalyst to filter, and you have a fairly concentrated aq. solution of the potassium salt of whatever acid you used to acidify wich makes work up easier IMHO. Evaporate alcohol under slight vacuum, and when take off reduces and there's alot of bumping (as while trying to remove water from a concentrated solution of MeNH2.HCl or HCOOK, you get the idea), perform an A/B, evaporate solvant, crystallize to your favorite salt, et voila.

Just my two (euro :) ) cents

stoichiometric_steve - 30-8-2007 at 06:08

Quote:
Originally posted by Klute
One question: Why do you (and alot of other writeups) acidify after you have filtered the catalyst?

it seems that the post reaction mix when using NH4COOH is in fact a basic solution with the alkylammonium carbonate salt dissolved, so there is simply no point in acidifying at all. it just increases the volumes to handle. i need to give the reaction a second shot, but as far as i can remember, the was no precipitate whatsoever before i added acid.

so basically, you would take the post rxn mix, do the workup as above and DO NOT acidify when you remove the MeOH in vacuo.

the acidification step is probably introduced to minimize losses due to the volatility of the amine, it being able to be distilled with steam.

the solution to your problem is: use NH4COOH. i dont know what the deal is with KCOOH, it is more expensive, you have to make it yourself, it is very hygroscopic and insoluble in alcohols. what do i care if someone says it is a better hydride donor?

the ~25ml of slightly gold tinted freebase i got from the above attempt is, if i dare say that, as good as it can get. fack KCOOH :P

edit: a quick check was done, proving myself wrong thinking that dissolving amine freebase in acetone would form an imine: the addition of 6M H2SO4 in Et2O caused instant deposition of a bright white precipitate.

[Edited on 30-8-2007 by stoichiometric_steve]

Klute - 30-8-2007 at 11:24

How bad is the Ammonium carbonate deposition in the condenser with Am.For as a donor? I've always heard it could plug the condenser if not removed periodly, and having everything connect to Argon doesn't make that practical..

A few test runs with am.formate and HCOOK with same conditions could be usefull, even though most of the litterature considers HCOOK>HCOON(R3)=HCOONH4>HCOONa>HCOOH.

In an article (1), Prasad et al. use catalytic amounts of base to convert introduced formic acid to a more effective donor.
Cat. (0.1 eq) HCOOK gives 85% of reduction of an aromatic nitro compound, 0.1eq NaHCO3 gives the same yeild in slightly less time, but Et3N (0.1eq) gives 100% in 20 minutes with 2 time less Pd/C loading. That could be worth a try with aliphatic nitros.. The formic acid is gradually added dropwise over the course of the reaction.

I can scan the article if someone wants to give a look at it.

(1): Prasad et al., Adv. Synth. Catal. 2005.347, 1769-1773

stoichiometric_steve - 30-8-2007 at 11:57

Quote:
How bad is the Ammonium carbonate deposition in the condenser with Am.For as a donor?

there was no ammonium carbonate deposition whatsoever in my last run. this will most likely happen when you heat the reaction mix, but i dont see why heating would be necessary.

i also dont know if argon flushing is vital for success in the reaction, you could always use N2 or CO2 for flushing, too. i'll try next time without flushing. to make sure we both mean the same thing: you dont have Ar running thru the mix all the time! just for 30secs or so then disconnect it.

with alkali formates you always have the problem of a solid precipitate which potentially deactivates your catalyst during the course of the reaction. this is not true for (alkyl)ammonium formates.

find attached Prasad et al., Adv. Synth. Catal. 2005.347, 1769-1773

Attachment: New Trends in Palladium-Catalyzed Transfer Hydrogenations Using Formic Acid.pdf (81kB)
This file has been downloaded 1800 times

Klute - 30-8-2007 at 13:39

Well great, no need of scanning the article :)

I didn't realize you conducted the reaction at room temp! That's something solved...
And yes, I only flush the flask at the beggining, leave a little stream when the reagents are introduced, and then shut it off. Argon is expensive, I'm not to keen on sending some in the atmospher just for the sake of it :)

I frequently neutralize the bicarbonate with GAA, but it could effectively cover some catalyst surface... And the problem of reteiving palladium in the final salt mentionne din the article isn't too reassuring..

You've convinced me, I'll give ammonium formate a try on of these days!

stoichiometric_steve - 20-9-2007 at 02:25

80% molar yield after distillation of the base from the 150mmol batch (see writeup above). very cool :) best workup ever!

85% molar yield after distillation from a 268mmol batch, using 15% w/w 10% Pd/C catalyst.

take my word: keep water out of the workup until you get to the a/b purification, and you will be a happy chemist.

[Edited on 21-9-2007 by stoichiometric_steve]

DNA - 21-9-2007 at 07:59

After a lot of trial and error I finally decided to give Pd/C a try.
I tried to reduce some 3,4,5-trimethoxynitrostyrene with BF3.Et2O/NaBH4 (2,5-dimethoxynitrostyrene worked like a charm though) and with Al/Hg and LiAlH4 and none of them gave me succes.
So well Pd/C then now, I read the article that was posted that uses HCOOH and Et3N that is also what I hear from experienced organic chemists that that is a good way to go.
Now I was wondering has anyone already tried the HCOOH/Et3N method?
Has anyone used this substrate already?
And at what temperature does the nitroalkene boil, since I do have a vacuumpump but it is one like this:
http://www.dialab.hu/dat_vakuumpumpak/vakuumpumpa_nagy.jpg
A double waterjet pump, which draws vacuum up to 8mbar at 2°C and 20mbar at room temperature.
I don´t know if that´s good enough?

Thanks in advance.

stoichiometric_steve - 21-9-2007 at 09:14

Quote:
Originally posted by DNA
And at what temperature does the nitroalkene boil

3,4,5-trimethoxy-beta-nitrostyrene cant be distilled with your pump, and i bet that neither can the corresponding nitroalkane. you need a rotary vane oil pump pulling at least 2-4mbar (and all the other things that you need for using such a setup, i.e. vac gauge, controller or needle valve, cold trap).

DNA - 21-9-2007 at 14:55

Ow okay well doesn't really matter I'll use other methods to purify it then.
But haven't you tried the HCOOH method yet with Et3N?
And I've got Pd/C 10% oxidated form, and I read some things about PdO/C reduction does it really matter if it is Pd of PdO on carbon.
And when they say 10% by weight concerning the patent do they mean already with the water or just Pd/C so like 10g substrate there you need 1g Pd/C does that mean 500mg Pd/C with 500mg water or 1000mg Pd/C and 1000mg water.
And I do have a manometer which goes up to 0mbar so I do have the vac gauge or is that not what you ment?
Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

DNA.

stoichiometric_steve - 22-9-2007 at 02:59

Quote:
Originally posted by DNA
But haven't you tried the HCOOH method yet with Et3N?

no.

i have no idea if your catalyst is suitable. drop a bit of it into HCOOH and if there is gas evolution, it's good.

DNA - 24-9-2007 at 02:28

Just one more thing since it saves like 50% of your precious catalyst.

When it says 10% by weight concerning the patent do they mean already with the water or just Pd/C so like 10g substrate there you need 1g Pd/C does that mean 500mg Pd/C with 500mg water or 1000mg Pd/C and 1000mg water.

stoichiometric_steve - 24-9-2007 at 04:39

Quote:
Originally posted by DNA
Just one more thing since it saves like 50% of your precious catalyst.

sigh...they say that in the patent, catalyst weight refers to 50% wet catalyst.

DNA - 24-9-2007 at 09:00

Sorry for that stupid question, maybe something interesting here.
Although the pictures aren't working anymore:

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/345-meo-ns.h...

Here is stated that the nitroethane crystalizes out so no need to distill this compound as it can be purified in other ways as mentioned before about solid compounds.

transformer - 26-9-2007 at 01:23

Pictures where sent to fire from erowid but not updated... here is the version with pictures:

http://psychedelichosting.info/Ionium/Rhodium/chemistry/345-...

Good luck!

[Edited on 26-9-2007 by samsung]

DNA - 27-9-2007 at 13:04

Reduction was a succes but got 2,380g nitroethane out of 4,78g of nitrostyrene.
Only used EtOH and too much glacial acetic acid.
Nice white crystals after recrystalization out of methanol.
samsung thank you very much for posting this link!!
Read a lot of your posts.

DNA

[Edited on 3-10-2007 by DNA]

DNA - 3-10-2007 at 10:22

PdO/C should work an experienced organic chemist told me but it didn't work for me.
So now I got 5% Pt/C, anyone knows if you need less of that compared to Pd or what the advantages or disadvantages are...

Klute - 2-3-2008 at 14:51

Bringing this old thread back to date....

A CTH was tried on 2-MeOphenylnitroethane, obtained by NaBH4 reduction of 2-MeOnitrostyrene (4eq, in EtOAc/EtOH solvant system), giving a medium yeild, and a strange, neutral compound......

The nitrethane was obtained as a yellow oil, out of which some white solids precipitated after a day in the freezer, under Argon, and the oil was opaque even when warmed back to RT. The whole appearance bothered me. TLC indicated a minor impurity, thought to be the dimer.

So the oil was purified by a quick coluum chromatography. Being out of solvants, and not finding a terribly efficent system, 50:50 acetone/pet. ether was used, more concerned of using the cheapest solvants than the most suitable, eevn though thats system offered a cceptable seperation of the two spots and a rather rapid elution.
After evaporation of the eluant, a nice, limpid pale yellow oil was obtained. Unfortuanly, the second stain was still present, even though there wasn't anymore of those inorganic salts left. Teaches me right to be such a lazy-ass and not redistill my recylced DCM.

(I haven't got my notes at hand, so don't recall the amount used, this was a little time ago, so here is only a brief describtion of the CTH)

The oil was then added to a 100mL 3 neck, containing 5% w/w to substarte of fresh 10% Pd/C, covered with IPA. More IPA was added.

No here is something strange. As more IPA was added, the whole suspension became more and more milky, to a point where it gave a clear, slightyl milky greenish/yellow solution, but the Pd/C agglomerated into small particules. This made me doubt the IPA was anhydrous, possibly the 91% azeotrope (it is supposed to be technical dry IPA, purchased from an industrial supplier).
10mL of the same IPA was added in a test tube, and some NaOH added. It clumped up a little, the IPA turned a little milky, but no aq. layer was to be seen. I believe this a test of dry IPA. I will try mixing it with 8vol of pet. ether. So if this was indeed 91% IPA, the large ratio of water could explain the mixed results of the CTH.
I should have used ETOH or MeOH, as I did before. I'm much more confident of the purity of these two.

5eq of HCOOK (80% HCOOH on slurried KOH à la Barium) was then added dropwise. GAs evolution started quickly, and the Pd/C gradually turned back to a fine suspension. This was heated to 50-60°c over 2 hours. 2eq of 80% HCCOH was then added very slowly dropwise. The flask was left at reflux for another 4H, and left to cool down for 10H.

The black suspension was then neutralized with AcOH, the catalyst filtered, the IPA removed under vacuum until temp increased, the aq. washed several times with DCM (the first wash came out yellow, much darker than previous CTH on different substartes), gently basified with 10% NaOH, extarcted with DCM, the extarcts washed with brine, dried, and the DCM removed to leave roughly 50% yeild of the amine. Not very satisfying.

Now, the first DCM washes of the acidfied filtrate were simply left in an erlenlmeyer, on a shelf for a rather long period. When cleaning up a few days ago , I realized the DCM had evaporated, and that a rather large yellow crystalline mass remained in the erlenmeyer. A pretty large amount compared to the amount of substarte used.
What is this compound???! The nitroethane is an oil at RT, so it can't be it.

Could it be that the CTH, with a much larger amount of water than needed, yeild a different compound? Improbable. I recall Stoechiometric_Steve using 70% aq. MeOh with amm. formate. this could be the cause of the bad yeild though.
What I though was that the NaBH4 reduction possibly wasn't as effective as it seemed, and that the TLC spot was actually unreacted nitroalkene, and this nitroalkene yeiled a ketoxime or something similar during the CTH. But these NaBH4 reductions usually proceed very well, especially with 4eq of hydride. And the stain would have been much larger. Unfortuanly, i think I have thrown away most of the plates, and I'm not sure if I've kept a sample of the crude nitroethane, to compare with the nitroalkene. I'm pretty sure I must have compared the first TLC with pur nitroalkene though, I always do.
Another idea that popped up: could heating the nitroalkane with acetone (when removing the elution solvants) cause some kind of condensations? Maybe I damadged half of the nitroalkane before the reduction, and that was the starnge stain that remained after the coluum..... God knows what that could have given after 10H CTH reduction....

ANy ideas as what this could be? If it's an oxime, it would hydrolyse pretty easily, no? I can't acces NMR in near futur, not for home experiments anyway, and can only use liquid films IR for the moment. Any help/advice would be appreciated!

DNA - 3-3-2008 at 01:48

Dear klute,
I've been busy on this subject A LOT lately.
About the nitroalkene it runs completely to the top with pure ethylacetate and also with DCM/MeOH (98% DCM, 2% MeOH) on TLC. See if that yellow crystals do this or stay at the start, that's already a conclusion if it are salts or an organic compound.
Look at solubility in water and in MeOH, for the furtherrest try to make an IR of it.
And something interesting for everyone SWIM tried Pd/C with HCOOH and Et3N.
It works like a charm, it gives really great yields. And if anyone is looking for the paper where a lot of people are refering to when doing NaBH4 reductions I can upload it if there is interest for it.
This is the one.
Sodium borohydride reduction of nitrostyrenes by Reverse addition: A simple and efficient method for the large-scale preparation of phenylnitroethanes.
Synthesis, 1985, 9, 886-887
... has been fucking around with reducing nitrostyrenes to nitroethanes and also got moderate yields, but now when using this paper, yields are great :).
And ANOTHER interesting thing, reducing nitrostyrenes directly to the amine with Fe/HCl.
Also got the paper about that one, also worked but in like 65-70% yield.

[Edited on 3/3/2008 by Nicodem]

stoichiometric_steve - 3-3-2008 at 02:32

Quote:
Originally posted by DNA
Sodium borohydride reduction of nitrostyrenes by Reverse addition: A simple and efficient method for the large-scale preparation of phenylnitroethanes.
Synthesis, 1985, 9, 886-887
SWIM has been fucking around with reducing nitrostyrenes to nitroethanes and also got moderate yields, but now when using this paper, yields are great :)

if you consider that Dioxane is not quite the solvent of choice regarding toxicity and other safety aspects, this procedure is not as attractive as you would probably like it to be. it is a pain in the ass to recover and an environmental hazard...

would you please tell us which nitrostyrene you reduced via Fe/HCl and in what yields?

Klute: you probably had some unreduced nitrostyrene and/or nitronate in your CTH mix. if you get a color change (blue, greenish) upon addition of the catalyst, there's something wrong. i got this once, too - and the yields were insignificantly low.

cheers,
steve.

[Edited on 3-3-2008 by stoichiometric_steve]

DNA - 3-3-2008 at 03:20

... used 3,4,5-trimethoxynitrostyrene which he reduced to the corresponding amine with Fe/HCl.
Dioxane is not that hard to recover actually, with a rotary evaporator and a vacuumpump it comes off quite easily.
And besides the reaction mixture is extracted with dichloromethane, and then the dioxane is not a problem anymore.

Edit by Nicodem: No SWIM-ing on this forum!
<sub>next time you do that, I'll remove the entire post</sub>

Sorry didn't know it wasn't allowed.

[Edited on 3/3/2008 by Nicodem]

[Edited on 3-3-2008 by DNA]

Klute - 3-3-2008 at 06:57

DNA, DCM works very nice as an eluant with 3,4,5-MeO substarte, for both the alkane and alkene. Otherwise, 5-10% DCM in pet ether is my favourite choice of eluants.
The crystal are definatively organic. Not comparable to the nitrostyrene or nitroethane. I'm in favor of the ketoxime. Maybe this particluiar substarte needs longer reaction time with the NaBH4 reduction.

Using EtOAc/EtOH solvant system alwayys works like a charm for me, though the crude product needs purifying for best CTH results. When the nitroethane is solid, it's best to recyrstalize it.
A short coluum for oil would be more than enough, but with a correct solvant system. Also, using home-made silica gel is less than ideal, as it displays a very slow flow afetr grinding in a pestle and mortar (not talking of the noxious fine silica dust, a specific dust mask was used while the silica was dry). Maybe grinding it when humid with solvant could help getting suitable mesh size, as seiving the dust isn't really an option.

I will try hydrolysing the compound and see what comes out.

DNA, would you care to elaborate on the TEA/Formic method? I guess you followed the "New trends..." paper mentionned earlier in the thread?

DNA - 3-3-2008 at 07:50

Well about the Et3N/HCOOH method.
As long as you have no other things on your molecule besides the nitro that can be reduced, or well let me put it like this the method works great but if you have a functional group which you want to keep intact like a carbonyl then do not use this because it is really a violent reducing agent it especially if you use the method described in the top of the paper about exothermic and small amount.
Anyway since most of the time only thing you have is a nitro or a double bond and a nitro this works great, you don't have as stated the ammoniumformate in the condenser and only CO2 will come off and H2. I still need to try this on the nitrostyrene to see if it reduces the double bond.
Before I did try to reduce nitrostyrene to the amine but it took 48u of hydrogen bubbling threw Pd/C (10%) 10% by weight.
So 1g substrate and 100mg Pd/C(10%) and then 48u bubling H2 will also yield the amine (monitored by TLC).
Probably this will go a lot quicker with Pd/C and Et3N and HCOOH but as I sayd before, I still need to try this.
And I also tried once to freeze the whole mixture of the reduction of nitrostyrene to the nitroalkane. This will give nice white powder but contains also the salts, but well yeah now I use the dioxane/EtOH method and works also fine.
How do you extract the nitroalkane?

Klute - 3-3-2008 at 09:16

The nitroalkanes was simply obtained after acidification, addition of brine, seperation, brine washes and drying of the organic, followed evaporation of the solvant.

Indeed, you seem to have been busy!

So you have manadged to obtain the amine by catalytic hydrogenation of the nitroalkene with 10% Pd/C? Are you totally sure this is the amine? IIRC, only oximes could be obtained by cat. hydrogeantion, without using ridiculously high amount of catalyst or excessive pressures. Was the hydrogenation performed at atmospheric pressure?

With the TEA/HCOOH CTH, how did you insure yourself that you got rid of all the TEA? Multiple aq. washes? Did you distill your freebase?

I recall a method of reducing nitroalkene to nitroalkanes with TEA/HCOOH "azeotrope" in DMF, without any catalysts.
If a different solvant could be used, a one pot reduction could be possible, although I'm pretty sure the method relies on the high bp of DMF to give off CO2 and reduce the double bond. I'm not sure DMF would be adequate for CTH conditions.
In a perfect world were ideal conditions could be found for both reductions, the double bond could be reduced with TEA/HCOOH, then Pd/C added and the nitro reduced by conventional CTH. Just an optimistic idea though. If I ever were to try such a reduction (the double bond reduction), of which I've never heard of anyone trying BTW, I would obviously isolate the nitroalkane to determine yeild/purity.

DNA - 3-3-2008 at 09:25

The Pd/C;Et3N;HCOOH reduction is so vigorous that it will reduce double bonds at atmospheric pressure it makes hydrogen in situ.
Also the reduction with Pd/C in ethanol and bubbling H2 threw it was at atmoshperic pressure.
I distilled the amine to get rid of the triethylamine, adding some toluene might also carry the Et3N with it since the boiling point of the Et3N isn't that high compared to the actual amine that is the product.
LC-MS and NMR showed that products were clean.
I found it takes a lot of solvents to extract/dissolve the nitroalkane that's why I was wondering.
Often I find solids in the seperatory funnel...

[Edited on 3-3-2008 by DNA]

Klute - 3-3-2008 at 10:03

Well, the intial aq. layer was extracted with another 3 portions of AtOAC obviously. I've never noticed the nitroalkanes been specialy difficult to dissolve. When recrysatllizing solid nitroethane, very little MeOH is needed...

That atmospheric catalytic hydrogenation really intrigues me. So you stirred the substarte in EtOH for 48hours under H2 atmosphere, no added HCl? What where your yeilds? Again, i remember alot of people trying this out some years ago and never getting decent yeilds of amine... I guess this is the kind of reaction I really need to see with my own eyes....

Please lets us know about the TEA CTH on the nitroalkenes. Again, most of the litterature claims oximes are obtained by CTH on nitroalkenes. This would be quite an improval.

DNA - 3-3-2008 at 11:36

I will do more experiments and provide you guys with an LC-MS measurments during the reaction, like after 1 hour and 3 hours and 8 hours etc. Both the Pd/C with H2 bubbling and also the Et3N/HCOOH/Pd/C method.
And yes the 48h reaction was indeed under atmospheric pressure just bubbling the H2 threw there.

stoichiometric_steve - 4-3-2008 at 06:31

Quote:
Originally posted by DNA
And yes the 48h reaction was indeed under atmospheric pressure just bubbling the H2 threw there.

that sounds peculiar.

as far as i know, there are no such references in the literature.

Klute - 4-3-2008 at 06:45

There are a few articles, being worth what there are, dealing with this, but they often use a equal weight of catalyst to substrate! That hardly is a catalyst anymore... :)

From the Rhodium Archive:

Synthesis of Phenethylamines by Catalytic Hydrogenation of Nitrostyrenes

Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn. , 63(4), 1252-1254 (1990)

But again, all previous work from different forum mebers lead to think only the oximes where attainable. IIRC, a 2 step hydrogenation nitroalkene-->oxime--> amine was possible, but the catalyst had to be changed, and I even think that was with pressurized hydrogen.
Solo, if you are reading this, wasn't it you that tried that out?

So if the 1 atm hydrogenation can be succesfull, it would be good news! But to be honest, I remaing sceptical. No offense DNA, it just that there isn't much to back up such a possibly ground-breaking news.

[Edited on 4-3-2008 by Klute]

DNA - 5-3-2008 at 10:07

As I stated that paper does work where nitrostyrene is converted to the amine...
I do need to mention I didn't acurately measured the Pd/C and threw a scoop in there since I used quite a small amount to test the reaction, that could be the cause that there is a lot Pd/C in there and not 10% by weight.

Klute - 5-3-2008 at 18:30

What amount of nitrostyrene did you start with? If you used 0.1-0.5g substrate, I can understand you used a large amount of catalyst... But even 0.5g is quite an amount, especially considering the price :).

BTW, I have been kindly notifyed that catalytic hydrogenation of nitrostyrenes at 20-30°c and 60PSi with as less as 2% 5%Pd/C gives good yeilds in 2h. Obviously one needs a Parr shaker or similar device....

DNA - 5-3-2008 at 23:49

I used 300mg substrate, I've noticed that 5% works not as good as 10% Pd/C, although often with catalytic hydrogenations the reaction works better when trying it again with a little bit less catalyst then doing it again with even more catalyst.

stoichiometric_steve - 30-3-2008 at 14:28

today, i've got ~97% from a nitro CTH reduction.

the most important thing is to make sure that the ammonium formate is COMPLETELY dissolved before adding the catalyst. i fitted a lab glove (pinched with a needle to make a tiny leak) to the top of the reflux condenser so a slight overpressure of H2 was maintained.

actually, i think that the reduction only proceeds if enough H2 is absorbed by the catalyst. thus, it seems much more viable to generate H2 from Metal or Hydrides and H+ instead of buying totally overpriced ammonium formate (which also increases solvent volume to insane levels (750ml MeOH for 370mmol substrate).

the reduction should run just as lovely with a balloon fitted to the top of a 3-neck flask.

[Experimental Procedure]
390mmol of 4-Fluorophenyl-2-nitropropane was mixed with 750ml MeOH, 75ml dH2O and 124g (5eq) Ammonium Formate and mechanically stirred until all the formate was completely dissolved.
12.5g Pd/C (10%) was then added, which caused an exothermic reaction in the course of a few minutes and the MeOH started refluxing.
A chemical disposable glove (pinched with a needle to make a tiny leak) was fitted to the top of the reflux condenser by means of a quickfit thermometer adapter (nifty, eh?) to maintain a slight overpressure of H2.
After stirring overnight (approx. 14hrs), the catalyst was filtered off and the MeOH was removed on a rotary evaporator.
The distillation residue was acidified and extracted 3 times with 50ml Toluene (which was unnecessary). After basification of the reaction mixture with 25% aq. NaOH, an amine phase immediately separated.
The basified mixture was extracted with 3x100ml toluene each, and the combined organic extracts attempted to be dried with K2CO3, which failed due to the formation of an unfilterable gel-like solid.
It is important to note that in the reduction of 4-Fluorophenyl-2-nitropropane, another unfilterable, probably colloidal solid may remain in the organic extracts, no matter what reduction method is being used. This is most easily removed by distillation of the product.
The toluene was removed on a rotary evaporator, which azeotropically removed the residual water.
The remaining residue of 4-Fluorophenyl-2-aminopropane weighed 58g (378mmol, 96,9% of theory) and was stored under Ar, over KOH in the freezer.
4-Fluorophenyl-2-aminopropane easily combines with CO2 from the atmosphere to form spectacular flower-like crystalline structures.

[Edited on 31-3-2008 by stoichiometric_steve]

DNA - 31-3-2008 at 00:48

Let me give you a tip, presaturate your solutions before adding anything with H2 gas, then after adding your chemicals (after each compound) saturate with H2 gas, it will improve yields. I haven't got the reference now at hand but will post it asap.

Could you give a bit more details?
Like what substrate did you use?
What volume of solvent?
What solvent (MeOH)?
Rate of addition of the substrate?
Was the substrate added as it is or as a solution or with the aid of a soxlhet extractor?
How long did you let the reaction stirr?
At what temperature did you do the reaction?
Did you monitor with TLC?

[Edited on 31-3-2008 by DNA]

Klute - 31-3-2008 at 06:13

Quote:
Originally posted by StoechiometricSteve
actually, i think that the reduction only proceeds if enough H2 is absorbed by the catalyst. thus, it seems much more viable to generate H2 from Metal or Hydrides and H+ instead of buying totally overpriced ammonium formate (which also increases solvent volume to insane levels (750ml MeOH for 370mmol substrate).

the reduction should run just as lovely with a balloon fitted to the top of a 3-neck flask.

Yes, i also though this could be just aswell if not better. At first i was thinking of saturating the catalyst in MeOH with H2, then add the formate, then i figured i could just aswell use straight H2 for the reduction. But having a H2 saturated MeOH/Pd/c suspension presents a significant fire hazard when opening if not using argon flow...
Using a formate also present less hazard du to h2 gas, but i find it hard to judge exactly how much h2 is evolved when using k formate. Never bothered trapping the gas.

For atm hydrogenations, i was thinking of using something like Al + dilute h2so4 or naoh, dripped in, with an inverted cylinder to moniter the h2 uptake, and a drying bottle, a ballon attached onto of the condenser of the reaction flask. So the inverted cylinder could filled with h2 by slowly adding base/acid to al shreddings, cutting the h2 flow when the cylindrer is full, taking care not to let any pressure build up, and refill the cylinder by adding more acid/base when needed. Such a device is described in a article of the raspberry ketone thread IIRC.

I've never used any H2 from a metal + acid or base, could someone who has tell me how quick/long lasting the h2 evolution is when portions are added? The whole inverted cylinder might not be a good idea if it is too continous, overpressure of h2 wouldn't be a good thing...

DNA, have you tried out some more nitrostyrene reductions using atm hydrogenations lately?

DNA - 31-3-2008 at 06:20

Not anymore, I've been doing more LiAlH4 reductions in Et2O and in THF and in a mix of Et2O and THF.
Since shulgin in pihkal uses Et2O for the 3,4,5-trimethoxynitrostyrene substrate and for others he uses THF which I think is weird.
So I tried on 3,4-dimethoxynitrostyrene the reduction with THF and with Et2O and a mix.
With Et2O I could reflux for 48h and still there was 80% precusor left.
With THF reduction was done in 20minutes at RT.
With saturated solution of nitrostyrene in THF and the LiAlH4 in Et2O the reduction went also smoothly in 30 minutes after complete addition.
Will try soon 3,4,5-trimethoxynitrostyren with the aid of a soxhlet extraction apparatus.
Actually I got a bit fed up with the nitroalkane / CTH reduction.

stoichiometric_steve - 31-3-2008 at 06:40

Quote:
Originally posted by DNA
Actually I got a bit fed up with the nitroalkane / CTH reduction.

you shouldn't be ;)

i've just tried out the method for the double bond reduction which uses Toluene/Water with a PTC (i used Aliquat 336), and it worked like a charm for 4-Fluorophenyl-2-nitropropene, which is usually a pain in the ass if EtOH/EtOAc solvent systems are used (because the nitronate crashes out and forms an intractable, gum-like mass that only very slowly dissolves in water - it can break your stirrer).

My guess is that this also works for Nitrostyrenes, since the PTC is supposed to carry inorganic anions (BH4- in this case) to the organic layer, and not the Nitrostyrene to the water phase where the nitronate resides. However, a lot of people got tarry product when using this method with all the Nitrostyrene added at once.
I used a Toluene solution of the substrate (1mol would need 450ml of Toluene) which was slowly added to the aqueous NaBH4 solution (~2eq. NaBH4) containing some NaOH to reduce decomposition.

The workup was incredibly easy...acidify (while cooling with ice!!!), separate the toluene, extract water layer with toluene and remove toluene. some unreduced substrate made it into the distillation flask and polymerized to a black mass upon heating. nevertheless, the distilled nitropropane was clean as fnack. i got 98% :)

Klute - 31-3-2008 at 06:52

Nice! Doesn't the PTC cause any problems with the nitro reduction? I would be a little concerned by catalyst poisoining, no?
I take it you haven't tried that on nitrostyrenes yet?

DNA, samsung (sp?) got excellent results using the EtOAc/EtOH NaBH4 reduction of 3,4,5-MeO-nitrostyrene. The nitroethane is reduced in good yields (>70%) with Pd/C K formate. I heard this substrate doesn't perform that well in LiAlH4 reduction, so I would rather keep this hydride for other nitrostyrenes. Just an advice.
I'd love to hear more on your LiAlH4 reductions though. Strange to see such difference when using Et2O! I always took it granted that both THF and diethyl ether were perfectly echangeable in such reduction, although i have only used commercial LiAlH4 solution in THF up to now.

DNA - 31-3-2008 at 07:05

A commercial LiAlH4 solution is indeed safer, I still have sweat on my forhead everytime I add LiAlH4 to the ether or THF...
But well if you use a 1M solution you need liters of LiAlH4 solution if you want to prepare a little bit bigger amount.
So far on the 3,4,5 (starting with 1,7g nitrostyrene) I got a yield of 55% (sulphate salt) while NOT using the soxhlet extractor ( I used not so much Et2O as shulgin did).
I got a 78% yield on 3,4-diMeOnitrostyrene when using THF in 20 minutes.
In a couple of days I will do the 3,4,5-trimethoxynitrostyrene it will undergo a reduction at 4,8g scale with 4g LiAlH4 in Et2O with the aid of a soxhlet extractor with Et2O (so actually the exact procedure as in pihkal this time).
But my interest got back when I read that a >90% yield was obtained by stoichiometric_steve I still have quite some grams of 10% Pd/C lying around and well I did got a 97,5% yield on the 3,4-diMeOnitrosytrene to nitroalkane.
Haven't tried this anymore on the 3,4,5-trimethoxynitrostyrene though.
But what I noticed in my 3 experiments that I did was the following:
(shit haven't got my notes at hand now)
What I remember is that the method pointed out by vaguuh worked the best 97,5% yield.
Then I tried barium's method that was IIRC 93% and I used dioxane following a literature paper and got 78% or so.
I'll post the exact experimental data soon, what I do remember is that I added the nitrotyrene as a powder in the first two cases. The NaBH4 solution was at 30*C constantly for 1,5 hours (took 45minutes to add the nitrotyrene).

stoichiometric_steve - 31-3-2008 at 07:16

Quote:
Nice! Doesn't the PTC cause any problems with the nitro reduction?

the PTC is removed by distillation. its bp. is 225°C@760mmHg.

i am not sure how it would poison a catalyst, though.

DNA: which method from Barium do you mean you got 93% with, on what substrate?

Klute - 31-3-2008 at 07:32

Quote:

the PTC is removed by distillation. its bp. is 225°C@760mmHg.

duh... of course how stupid of me. I'm a bit elsewhere lately :)
At what vacuum did you distill your nitroalkane, i get it the mentionned bp is that of the PTC (which did you use BTW: TBAB, CTAB?
How does the solvant volumes compare to the EtOAc/EtOH? (though i think i remember you said you never tried that system before.. not sure) Abs EtOH is time consuming..

stoichiometric_steve - 31-3-2008 at 08:09

Quote:
At what vacuum did you distill your nitroalkane, i get it the mentionned bp is that of the PTC (which did you use BTW: TBAB, CTAB?

i used Trioctyl methyl ammonium chloride a.k.a. Aliquat 336, see above. This is about the cheapest PTC i think.

The nitroalkane i distilled came over at around 84°C@0.4mmHg.

the solvent volume, well, as stated:

you need approx 450ml toluene for 1mol, and the water phase was approx. 1L. less water could probably be used.

DNA - 31-3-2008 at 08:57

I used it on 3,4-dimethoxynitrostyrene and this is the one I tried

http://designer-drug.com/pte/12.162.180.114/dcd/chemistry/ni...

And then also vaguuh's method and a paper I got lying around.

CTH according to Pasad et al.

Klute - 21-4-2008 at 15:00

According to Pasad et al, article kindly posted by StoechiometricSteve in the first page of this thread, nitroarenes are quickly reduced in CTH conditions using formic acid and catalytic triethylamine. This forms triethylammonium formate in situ, which upon transfering hydrogene, forms free triethylamine and CO2.

Altough they add the formic acid in 30min, they exclusively use nitroarenes, which are known to react much faster than aliphatic nitroalkanes. Thus, when using nitroalkanes, it is advised to add the formic acid at a slower rate, to avoid acidic conditions.
StoechiometricSteve tried out a variation of this reaction, and told me that the reaction stopped if pH turned acidic.
I decided on trying this reaction out, but by using a larger amount of triethylamine, and adding the formic acid at a slow rate.

In the article, they claim that substrate or products that are basic enough to form formates can also act as a catalyst. When reducing nitroalkanes, the formed amines are often basic enough to enter this catalysis cycle. An interesting twist would be using a catalytic amount of product at the begging of the reaction!

2-MeO-nitroethane was used because it was in the fridge since a few months and i didn't have much use with it. It contained some dimer (obtained by naBH4 reduction of the nitrostyrene) as shown by TLC.

Catalytic TRansfert Hydrogenation of 2-(2-methoxyphenyl)nitroethane with formic acid and catalytic triethylamine

4.28g (23.91 mmol) of 2-(2-methoxyphenyl)nitroethane, a golden yellow viscous oil, was diluted with 10mL MeOH.
0.5g 10% Pd/C (Acros) were weighed and transfered to a 100mL 3-neck RBF flask, equipped with a condenser attached to a bubbler, a addition funnel, a thermometer and a stir bar. It was wetted down with 70:30 MeOH: H2O under a flow of argon. The substrate was added with 20mL more MeOH, under slow stirring. This formed a black suspension.

1,0 mL (7.21 mmol) of triethylamine (Acros) were added via syringe, and the flask was immersed in a 50°C oil bath.

4.6 mL (101.49 mmol) of 85% formic acid were then transfered to the addition funnel, and very slowly dripped in (1drop/40-50 sec). A slow, but constant gas evolution started. There was no bubbling visible in the flask. The addition lasted two hours. No change in apperance of the reaction medium. Heating and stirring were maintained for another two hours.

At the end of the addition, TLC (80:20:1 AcOEt:MeOH:Et3N) showed a large spot under the substrate, and only a small spot for the substrate. This could very well be the dimer, as it is not seperated from the nitroalkane with this eluant system.
After the two hours stirring, TLC had not changed.

[Rest when i get time to upload pictures]

Klute - 23-4-2008 at 07:23

Unfortunaly, because of a stupid mistake, the other photos were lost... In any case, the reaction medium didn't change apperance, and the workup was standard.

After 2 more hours stirring at 50°C, the flask was cooled down, and the black suspension filtered through two paper filter twice, giving a totally clear filtrate [Note 1]. The cake was rinced with 2x20mL MeOH, and 10mL 50:50 MeOH:H2O [Note 2]. The now slightly milky solution was acidified with conc HCl, causing the milkyness to increase. A little amount of clear, slightly yellow oil crashed out at the bottom.

The MEOH was removed at atmospheric pressure using a small coluum, until vapor temp increased over 90°C. The medium quickly took a blue (!) color upon heating, and most of the clear oil turned to a black/blue viscous residu [Note 3].
The solution was transfered to a sepperating funnel, and washed with 3x25mL toluene, which removed the blue color, but left a milky slightly amber aqueous layer. 20mL DCM wash removed a little of the color.
The aq was then basified with 15% NaOH slowly, causing strong milkyness and a clear oil to crash out. It was then extracted with 4x25mL toluene.
The combined opaque organics were thoroughly washed with 3x100mL 1% NaOH, which cleared it up pretty well, and 150mL brine, which gave a totally limpid, very slightly amber solution. This was neutralized with conc. HCl (>2.5mL needed) and transfered to a 250mL wide-neck distn flask. A little IPA was added to rince the erlenmeyer.
The IPA/Toluene/H2O azeotrope was removed by simple distn at atm, once all the IPA was removed, the distn setup was replaced by a Dean Stark, and reflux maintained until no more water was collected and the head temp exceeded 100°C [Note 4].
Upon cooling, the slightly orange solution was covered with a little pet ether, which caused alot of milkyness, and a whitish solid appeared.
After cooling to RT, the suspension was filtered, and the white solid washed with acetone to remove some orange gummy material, then with pet ether. It was dried by suction for 10min, then under a lamp to remove the solvant smell, then in a CaCl2 desicator. The crunchy cristalline mass weighed 0.94g (5.06 mmol) 21.07 % yield of 2-methoxyphenethylamine hydrochloride. The white crystals had a broad mp 139-146°C (but using a very artisanal method: oven and thermometer :( ), so it was not triethylammonium chloride (mp= ~240°C) [Note 5]

The catalyst was regenerated by thoroughly washing with fresh 10% NaOH, then with water, sucking air through it for 10min, and washing it with a little MeOH before leaving it dry overnight. It was easily scrapped off (though the filter paper obviously traps a certain amount). It is adviseable to use the weakest vacuum possible when filtering it to avoid excessive plugging.

Notes

Note 1: I have to agree with Steve now, there is no need to acidify before filtering when using (tetralkyl)ammonium formates. This was a much easier workup, and it avoids contaminating the catalyst with impurities comming from the acids (that's why i always used GAA and not technical HCl). But when there's bicarbonates around, i guess it's better to acidify to remove them from the catalyst.

Note 2: This was to avoid a eventual fire hazard: it's is a known fact that 10% Pd/C can spontaneously ignite when wet with MeOH after a reduction. The small amount of water prevents this, so the catalyst can be left on the buchner before being regenerated.

Note 3: I should have seperated what seemed to be unreacted nitroalkane before removing the MeOH... Heating for a certain period in acidic conditions must have caused all kind of side reactions... I guess adding dilute brine and a quick extraction before removing most of the MeOH would give less impurities..

Note 4: I'm not sure this is the best way for amine with ether groups: heating for a few hours (it is a long process) with excess acid at >100°C temp could cause some demethylation? But it is so practical.... Using vacuum or pet ether could help keeping the temp down. I should just gas some IPA with HCl i guess...

Note 5: The repeated water washes should remove small quantities of triethylamine quite easily (solubility : 7.5g/100g), but if using bigger amounts, it should be seperated from the amine freebase by vacuum distn, or at least leaving the freebase under high vacuum long enough to remove most of it without distn of the freebase itself.

Comments:

Well, the method surely isn't optimized for nitroalkanes yet. B ut it can be! I'm sure using at least 1 eq of triethylamine, or directly dripping 1 eq of triethylammonium formate, then 2-4eq of formic acid could be better, avoiding any acidic conditions, and ableing a quicker addition. The fact that there seemed to be no excessive gas evolution could mean no wasted H2.

Seems promising to me. Ok, you could just aswell tell me go buy some ammonium formate or stick to the potassium formate, at least you would get proper yields, but where's the fun in that? ;) And in any case ammonium formate is too expensive for me to not consider anything else :)

stoichiometric_steve - 23-4-2008 at 13:15

you should consider generating H2 from metal + acid. much cheaper than NH4COOH and most likely better yields. i will try it soon, and i'm getting myself familiar with low pressure hydrogenation, too. i'll build a reaction vessel from a 2L duran bottle (Schott brand, those with the blue GL45 caps). i guess those hold well up to at least 3 bar.

Klute - 23-4-2008 at 15:17

Yes, that is a good idea. Do you intend on modifying yourself the lid, or do you have one with the gas inlet to handle dry reageants under inert atmosphere?

Somehow, if i could find a easy, practical and good-yielding CTH procedure, i would be more confortable with it than a H2-pressurized vessel in amateur settings, though.

stoichiometric_steve - 24-4-2008 at 07:40

Quote:
Do you intend on modifying yourself the lid

yes, but i think there are commercial tubing adaptors for the GL45 available.

RXN never took off

beastmaster - 13-8-2008 at 22:08

I have wanted to try out CTH, in place of Hydrogenation for several reactions. It seems so simple and safe, but each time I've tried it nothing has happened. There is suppose to be gas generated from the NH4formate, as it decomposes into its elementary parts, NH4 H2 CO2.(or so I assume) Any way could the problem be my Pd on Carbon? I bought it from a photo place. Should I or can I maybe pre-charge it with hydrogen before using it? I am thinking this is where my problem lies, but I am at a lost. If I am not being clear it because of my lack of formal education. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

stoichiometric_steve - 13-8-2008 at 23:56

If your Pd/C is already presaturated with H2, you will not observe any appreciable gas evolution when adding formate salts to it.

I have previously run CTHs with unreduced Pd/C, which generated lots of CO2 and heat, but those reactions also tended to produce quite an amount of coloured side products (this is most likely since the catalyst dehydrogenates whatever it can grab from the reaction mix) and the catalyst was heavily poisoned after a single run.

A recent CTH nitro reduction run (unknowingly) using presaturated Pd/C (9:1 MeOH:H2O, 5eq. NH4COOH, 20wt.% Pd/C 5%, stirred 24h) resulted in an almost non-exothermic reaction, providing a quantitative yield of the amine.

Be aware that upon rinsing the hydrogen-saturated catalyst off the equipment, solvent vapours may catch fire. Be sure to flush the flask with whatever inert gas you have or keep the catalyst wet with water.

You can presaturate your catalyst by simply letting it stir with some formic acid or formate salts, i.e. a mixture of HCOOH and catalytic amounts of KOH (or NaOH or any organic amine). Bubbling will stop when the catalyst is saturated. It is probably a good idea to clean up the catalyst after each reaction by repeated extraction with MeOH/EtOH/iPrOH to remove organic residues and keeping it in a dilute formic acid solution.

[Edited on 14-8-2008 by stoichiometric_steve]

Klute - 14-8-2008 at 05:04

You could test your catalyst by adding a little formate solution to it, without any substrate, it should evolve some gas as Steve said. Better use a bubbler to really see the gas evolution, rather than looking for bubbles.

When you say your reaction never took off, does it mean you recovered your starting material quantitatively, or simply that nothing seemed to happen? As Steve explained, with saturated/activated catalysts, it seems only a true transfert hydrogeantion takes place, so no H2 evolution. Depending on your reaction temp, the CO2 evolution might be unoticeable. It seems if the catalyst isn't saturated, it first form nacent H2 from the donors, absorbs H2, and then reduces the substrate, so it's more of a dehydrogeantion/hydrogenation process.

Please giev use more details: what kind of substarte: alcene, nitro, etc, what solvent, temp, catalyst loading etc.

Be aware that most of the time, a CTH is just a black suspension, no excesive bubbling etc. It can look as nothign is happening, but that catalyst is doing his job well :)

Barium - 24-8-2008 at 10:53

Dear Steve, the aqueous solution of potassium formate forms one phase, the solution of the nitroalkane in IPA forms another phase and the catalyst forms the third phase in the reaction mixture.

Klute - 24-8-2008 at 11:07

What pleasure to see you here, Barium!

starman - 24-8-2008 at 16:26

Welcome Barium! Been wanting to ask about RT ammonium formate/Zinc reduction of nitro compounds.Seems easier/cheaper and faster than anything discussed in this thread.

Klute - 24-8-2008 at 16:31

Good luck with workup then :)

Apart from the price of Pd/C, this procedure is very easy to perform and employs cheap reagents. The workup is a breeze, and most of the time the yields go from good to excellent..

I think Steve has some experience with Zn/formate reductions of nitro compounds, and should be able to comment much more than me on that subject.

starman - 24-8-2008 at 20:31

Quote:

Good luck with workup then
I take it that the work up is painful then?I saw Barium's write up of a Zn/formate reduction originally published in the Indian journal of chemistry.Appears quite straight forward with short reaction times at room temperature.

Klute - 25-8-2008 at 05:55

Well, if you want to avoid the Zn oxides sludge, you will need huge amounts of conc. NH3, which is a pain to work with afterwards. Plus, it seems NH3 doesn't seperate the amine as well as alkali hydroxides.

If you directly useNaOh/KOH, you obtain a gel like sludge of Zn oxides, very hard to work with. The best way to handle it is to dilute it to a workable consistancy, and extract with toluene or another lighter solvent, takin great care not to form an emulsion. It is hard to recover all the solvent, and easy to mess up. Large amounts, and several (>5) extractions were found necessary to enven remove the smell of the amine from the sludge.

With Pd/C, you basicly filter, remove alcohol, perform a A/B and you have your amine in solution, often colorless, ready to be crisatillzed or further reacted.

With somewhat volatil amines, it is adviseable to acidify before removing the alcohol, with GAA (causes less coloration than HCl or H2SO4), then wash the aq. residu after slight dilution to remove neutral byproducts, basify and extract.

When using K formate, i find it more practical to acidify with GAA before filtering to remove the insoluble bicarbonate.

But amm. formate as proved to be at less as efficient as amm. formate, so I prefer sticking with aq. MeoH at RT for 12h or so.
There alsays is 3-4 impurities apart from the amine by TLC (clean seperation using the eluant I mentionned earlier), only one remains after an A/B with the amine. Theses must be intermediate reduction compounds, or byproducts from the hydrolsyis of the intermediates (and their eventual subsequent reduction).

DNA - 25-8-2008 at 06:32

Isn't it possible to do a steam distilation right out of the flask when using Zn reactions.
Works fine with Al/Hg reductions, ofcourse your amine needs to be able to get steam distilled.

smuv - 25-8-2008 at 07:57

Maybe this is stupid; but couldn't you just add more Sodium hydroxide to form the soluble sodium zincates, the solution would be very alkaline but I don't think this should be a problem for most substrates.

Klute - 25-8-2008 at 08:38

I had tried adding NaOH as a conc. solution, then as a solid, but stopped in the middle as so much was needed and I couldn't see any improvement. I'm sure it could be possible, but it would really require very alrge amoutns of NaOH.

Steam distn I haevn't tried, considering the thick sludge consistancy, and long time required, but could be an option too.

DNA - 25-8-2008 at 22:44

As for small amounts <10g steam distillation works fine.
When you go bigger then one would need to distill way too much water to get all the freebase out.
But I think it is a nice method, just start heating it further after adding NaOH to the reaction mixture and replace the condenser by a distillation setup.
And distill the solvent (recycling), then as the water comes it takes the freebase with it, if you would have H2SO4 in the receiver flask then one can do immediately an a/b afterworths gives very clean amine so I heard from my 80 year old neighbour.

Barium - 26-8-2008 at 11:59

Quote:
Originally posted by starman
Welcome Barium! Been wanting to ask about RT ammonium formate/Zinc reduction of nitro compounds.Seems easier/cheaper and faster than anything discussed in this thread.

Ask away! I'll try to help if I can.
In my experience, it isn't a generally useful method. It works great with some substrates and terrible with others. I have no explanation why.

Perhaps another thread should be used for Zn/NH4OOCH reductions in general.

Nicodem - 27-8-2008 at 00:37

This thread is already terribly long so I would appreciate if it would be reserved for discussing catalytic transfer hydrogenation (CTH) reductions only. If anybody wants to discuss other reduction methods for nitro compounds, like Zn/HCOONH4 or other metal/acid based reductions, please do so in a separate thread.

Edit: The separate thread for Zn/acid based reduction of nitro compounds has been opened here.

[Edited on 27/8/2008 by Nicodem]

stoichiometric_steve - 10-10-2008 at 06:48

Contrary to reports that apparently successfully employ Triethylamine as a base used in conjunction with Formic acid as a hydrogen source, it appears that Triethylamine itself is a pretty potent catalyst poison for Palladium on Carbon.

Klute - 10-10-2008 at 07:05

Do you mean you added freebase Et3N tot he catalyst, and dripped formic acid in? Would it be better to prepare triethylammonium formate before introducing the catalyst? I only had 10% yield or somethign when trying out this method... And have found ammonium formate to be more practical and better yielding, closely followed by potassium formate.

stoichiometric_steve - 10-10-2008 at 07:58

I've retried the CTH with 0.1eq Et3N, 5eq. HCOOH and MeOH:H2O 9:1. The bubbling effectively stops after about 2 hours, and a lot of substrate is still present by OC™ (Olfactory Chromatography™;).

I'm currently looking into alternatives, but it turns out that Hydrazine, one of my favoured candidates, also turns out to be a catalyst poison under acidic conditions. This could probably be avoided by employing Hydrazinium Monoformate, discussed as a Hydrogen donor elsewhere (Tetrahedron 58 (2002):2211-2213)

stoichiometric_steve - 20-10-2008 at 09:47

It is also critical to make sure when using CTH that before adding any catalyst, the reaction mixture must be a solution. Otherwise, either the catalyst or the substrate will not come in contact with the hydrogen donor.

I just learnt that the hard way...

Barium - 21-10-2008 at 03:25

In which CTH is that critical Steve?

stoichiometric_steve - 21-10-2008 at 09:27

It certainly is critical when reducing nitro groups to the amine in MeOH/NH4COOH. all i got from this reduction is an unquantified yield of the ketoxime and some polymerized crap.

As for the Bandil-style CTH, i've previously stated that this kind of 2-phase CTH has never ever worked for me. And it's not very likely to ever do so since the catalyst has no big chance of picking up any H2 from a KCOOH saturated phase.

Barium - 21-10-2008 at 13:29

I beg to differ Steve. I have even performed several reductions where the substrate have not been practically soluble in the particular solvent used. Yet the reaction proceeds without a problem, e.g. hydrogenations using only plain water as solvent.

As I have stated earlier. The CTH with a saturated aqueous KCOOH-phase and a alcoholic phase containing the substrate does indeed work.

stoichiometric_steve - 22-10-2008 at 00:59

Quote:
Originally posted by Barium
I have even performed several reductions where the substrate have not been practically soluble in the particular solvent used. Yet the reaction proceeds without a problem, e.g. hydrogenations using only plain water as solvent.

I'd be willing to believe that unless i hadn't tried your writeups with anal detail for quite a few attempts.

Barium - 22-10-2008 at 03:57

One day you ask me to give more details about developments of a particular procedure and the next day you clearly state that you don't believe me when discussing another. If you are convinced I am lying, why ask me in the first place?

stoichiometric_steve - 22-10-2008 at 11:47

What i meant is that they may work for you, they obviously don't for me. Dog knows why...

Isomeric_Fred - 28-10-2008 at 00:32

I have to support stoichiometric_steve on this. Man, did I cry multiple times when trying out some of your procedures reported on the hive and failing again and again. Ill be honest though, and say that a few of your ideas work well, but its a small percentage of everything youve posted back in the day.

stoichiometric_steve - 21-3-2011 at 15:00

just sayin'...this works beautifully on 1mol scale with NH4COOH/5%Pd/C ;)