Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Sulfur Recrystalization

Jackson - 3-10-2018 at 08:08

Hi,
I have recrystalized sulfur in the past in small quantities from ~50% sulfur fertilizer. I used white gas as the solvent because it is just naptha and all the hardware stores in my area are out of xylenes right now. My first question is what is the solubility of sulfur in light naptha at the boiling point (30c - 90c). My second question is about the impurities in the fertilizer. The other compounds are listed as: Iron Sucrate, Zinc Sucrate, and Manganese Sucrate. I cant find anything about these compounds and the most information I can find is just other fertilizers with the same compounds. The MSDS isnt helping either. They are somewhat soluble in water, and insoluble in naptha.

Thanks,
Jackson.

12thealchemist - 3-10-2018 at 09:27

Light naphtha is a mixture of many hydrocarbons. I couldn't find any data on that specifically, but there is data on the solubility of sulphur in:
n-Hexane: 0.40 wt.% (g/100 g)
Cyclohexane: 1.185 wt.%
Benzene: 2.093 wt.%

at 298 K

Any ionic compounds will be fairly insoluble in hydrocarbon solvents. Those listed serve the purpose of being sources for iron, zinc, and manganese in the fertilizer for plants.

Jackson - 3-10-2018 at 09:34

I just Found out that they are most likely metal oxides because I was able to find an msds for another “sucrate” metal compound that listed it as the metal oxide and calcium sulfate.

fusso - 3-10-2018 at 11:18

You can hot filter the S solution to remove any insolubles. Also is toluene available in your area?

Jackson - 3-10-2018 at 11:24

Right now the OSH (which has most of the good stuff like sulfuric acid drain cleaner, toulene, acetone, xylenes, muriatic acid) is going out of business and is completely out of any organic solvents. The home depot literally has nothing like that. I was just wondering what the insolubles were because I wanted to know if they could be useful.