Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Weird White film on measuring cylinder

Housane - 3-10-2018 at 11:36

Hi,
I was extracting limonene from oranges using a distillation and collecting the product in a clear plastic measuring cylinder after it had finished no layers were formed but when the water was poured off the measuring cylinder had a white coating on it. i can't get this off and have tried washing with water. the cylinder smells strongly of oranges so i think it is limonene. Any idea how to recover this???

[Edited on 3-10-2018 by Housane]

Heptylene - 3-10-2018 at 12:05

Have you tried washing with a solvent like ethanol? If you want to keep what you remove from the cylinder you can the evaporate/boil off the solvent. If you just want to wash the cylinder, soap could work too.

MrHomeScientist - 3-10-2018 at 12:11

Perhaps something slightly dissolved the plastic in the cylinder? So the white film might actually be etched and "frosted" plastic (analogy to frosted glass).

wg48 - 3-10-2018 at 12:36

Lemonene dissolves polystyrene so if your plastic cylinder was polystyrene you may have irreversible damaged it and contaminated the limonene.

fusso - 3-10-2018 at 12:40

Quote: Originally posted by wg48  
Lemonene dissolves polystyrene so if your plastic cylinder was polystyrene you may have irreversible damaged it and contaminated the limonene.
Can transferring the limonene to a glass RBF then re-steam-distill purify it?

[Edited on 03/10/18 by fusso]

Housane - 3-10-2018 at 21:46

Hi i will try washing it with soap. the cylinder is made of PP

Herr Haber - 4-10-2018 at 03:19

Quote: Originally posted by Housane  
Hi i will try washing it with soap. the cylinder is made of PP

So is the blue gl45 cap I have on my limonene.
It is slightly being attacked even though liquid limonene never touches it.

XeonTheMGPony - 4-10-2018 at 04:01

Welcome to the wonderful world of material compatibility charts, the first thing you look at befor even thinking about plastic!

RogueRose - 4-10-2018 at 05:15

I'm guessing the limonene oxidized or partially dissolved the plastic. IIRC when I looked at the substance it had warnings about some plastics.

DavidJR - 4-10-2018 at 07:36

Yeah limonene isn't great with plastics in general