Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Drilling Titanium

dann2 - 14-12-2007 at 16:22

Hello,

Sould be on Engineeringmadness.org with this one but never mind.

I have been drilling CP Titanium with ease. Easier to drill than stainless steel I can assure you.
People have said that to drill Ti takes quite an effort. Perhaps the alloy type makes a big difference?
I have no alloy to try, only CP.
Have any of you guys drilled Ti.

Dann2

Xenoid - 14-12-2007 at 16:58

Dann2 - you haven't been paying attention...:(

See page 3 and 6 of the Cobalt Oxide Anode thread!

Also this was discussed at length in another thread recently! Not sure where!

chemkid - 14-12-2007 at 18:09

Does Engineeringmadness.org even exist?

The_Davster - 14-12-2007 at 18:11

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenoid

Also this was discussed at length in another thread recently! Not sure where!

https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9458

12AX7 - 14-12-2007 at 20:39

I've put holes through some 6Al4V pieces. Used a moderate speed (typical for, say, steel) and an HSS drill, probably not altogether very sharp, with lube. It took a lot of pressure, much like trying to work with steel spring stock: high yield strength and surface hardness, but still soft enough to yield to HSS and produce chips, stringy chips at that. (Say, I still have those chips sitting around. I was going to burn them some time.) It's my recollection that titanium is best done with sharp, very hard cutters: carbide preferred. It follows that coolant and a robust machine are desirable, especially where production feedrates are concerned.

As far as engineeringmadness is concerned, I would recommend rec.crafts.metalworking for that, and sci.electronics.design for electronics. There are others, mostly that I don't know of. Often you'll see crossposts on RCM going to sci.engr.joining.welding.

Tim

dann2 - 19-12-2007 at 10:49

Hello,

Thanks for replies.
I am drilling 3.1mm holes in CP so they are not big and that is perhaps why they appear to be easy to do.

The engineeringmadness.org was only a joke BTW

Dann2