Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Multilayer Metal Oxide / Titanium Anodes for Chlorate/Perchlorate

Pages:  1  2    4

chloric1 - 27-1-2008 at 15:20

Ok, while dann2 and Rosco start another cat fight, I decided to get to work. Although I admire the subtle blue hue of cobalt oxide baked on Ti, I am not going to do exactly what Xenoid did, I need to do different. First, I did my first ever anode with just (2) 10 minute Co3O4 coats follow by one nickel oxide coat then 1 hour bake. His name is Nicolas. The next anode I am in the process of working up is being temporarly called anode X. So far it has 3 coats of Co3O4 with no annealing 1 hour bake. Anode X is going to receive a SnO2 coat and then be annealed. This will hopefully close the debate between the madscience devas.

@Xenoid- I have provided pictures of my horizontal setup.

[Edited on 1/27/2008 by chloric1]

Horizontal mount2.JPG - 116kB

chloric1 - 27-1-2008 at 15:24

I wanted to show a picture of Nicolas also. You can tell the color is different. The blue hue of cobalt oxide is no longer seen instead you get more of a steel grey look but more refelctive. Of coarse the picture is misleading because of diminished lighting.

Nicolas.JPG - 95kB

Rosco Bodine - 27-1-2008 at 15:26

Quote:
Originally posted by dann2
Hello,

I am not argueing that you cannot deposit SnO2 films using Sol-gel, Hydrosol.
You can.
Theses methods have never been used for anodes. Do you know any refs. that show theses methods being uses as working anodes (ANODES) in (Per)Chlorate cells? (or waste water treatment tests/applications or brine electrolysis).

First paper mentions nothing regarding anodes.

Second paper mentions anodes by referencing Anodes that are made by the Pyrolysis technique (not sol-gel, hydrosol) using SnCl4 + HCl + brushing on with a soft brush + Pryolysis.

There is nothing to support your claims that I have seen or have been shown (apart from the large volume of argument that you are generating).
I wish anyone here who wants to try the Sol-gel etc methods the best of luck. Be aware that they have never been used or studied as (Per)Chlorate, waste water, brine/Chlorine anodes. This is a fact.
These's methods are being put forward here as being superior, far better, etc etc to the SnCl4 +HCl + Pyrolysis route. Nobody anywhere has shown this to be the case.

The SnCl4 + HCl + dip and bake + Pyrolysis route is being condemed as not workable ('dip and bake..... no way').
This is untrue.
No amount of words will change this fact.

The best way to educate your wee humble student of anodes is to show him some examples of your wise words of wisdom being actioned.
If there are no examples to be had, that is just the way the stuff works. ie. The sol-gel hydrosol etc does not work for anodes in (Per)Chlorate/brine/Chlorine etc applications.
The dip/brush + SnCl4 + HCl + Pyrolysis does work and has been shown to work.

Dann2

What a load of complete crap . You are doing the same thing here as in the cobalt oxide anode thread .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I2k3tITHzc

One trick pony wearing blinders .

Open your mind and rise to a higher plane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARNiv8MR4JE

Let's look at one example here in this thread which was discussed in part in the ATO thread ......and it relates to what you said above

Quote:
Hello,

@Tentacles
While I do not want to be 'running down' your efforts I suggest you test A DTO coat(s) if you want to see if you have a coating that could be described as viable. You will have to put a coat on Ti alone as the Spinel will only confuse the DTO test.

Cobalt spinel doping of SnO2 as an intermediate layer
in a baked coating scheme on a Ti substrate anode
is superior to ATO . Co2O3 doped SnO2 is fully 3 times as durable as an intermediate layer than is ATO . See
Example 3 Table 1 , test runs #4 and #7 of US4584084 .

Would it really confuse the DTO test to any disadvantage
to produce an interface sealing coating which has three times the durability against passivation of a Ti substrate ,
by choosing deliberately to have a cobalt doped SnO2
intermediate layer , known to have improved durability
and better adhesion as compared with an ATO interface ?

If that's confusion , then I'd rather be confused all day
and have a sealed interface layer that is three times as
tough as ATO and a whole lot easier to implement .

Once you have this nicely sealed and durable *cobalt spinel doped SnO2* interface - intermediate layer , you can probably throw at it whatever you want in the way of
subsequent layers , with regards to precursor flavors of
your liking , but Bi doped SnO2 added intermediate layers
would be the "armoring" which is indicated would be best
to use next . Here is where your SnCl4 + Bi(NO3)3 could
probably be used okay .

No matter what subsequent coatings are applied , this
scheme is going to be multiple times better than ATO
applied to a Ti substrate . It is technically superior and
that is what the literature indicates . If you see some
way around that conclusion or doubt its rationale , you
are welcome to it . But don't try to tell me that I am comparing apples and oranges here or merely arguing
when plainly I am very focused on what the data is telling me .

Attachment: US4584084 Co2O3 v Sb2O3 and other DTO dopant comparison tests.pdf (272kB)
This file has been downloaded 660 times

Rosco Bodine - 27-1-2008 at 15:39

@chloric1

You need to thermal break that supported anode
somehow and get it all the way into the furnace
as there will be a rapid temperature gradient along
its length the way you are doing it . It will tend to roast
at the tip that is deepest into the furnace , and be only
mildly hot where you have it clamped outside the furnace tube . Maybe some sort of fixture that could clamp it
by the end and fixture and all slide inside the furnace tube . Have a stiff wire handle on the fixture so you could
put it into and drag it out from the furnace .

About the nickel spinel , that's good too . I have every intention of using the mixed nickel - cobalt spinel like that article I posted because it was reportedly even more durable than the cobalt alone , which is good by itself .

Xenoid - 27-1-2008 at 15:42

@ chloric1

Details please! Did you dip and shake, dry at low temperature, use an alcohol in your solution, etc.
With a horizontal system did you get solution running round to the lower part of the rod, did this cause a thick strip down one side?
What is the reasoning behind the nickel coat?

Ah!... Rosco partly answered, I thought that the zinc spinel was the more durable!

Keep it up, this is interesting stuff!

[Edited on 27-1-2008 by Xenoid]

Rosco Bodine - 27-1-2008 at 15:50

MadScience divas LOL .

I've had two red headed wives with some Scot and Irish
blood and buddy lemme tell ya , they mean business
and they know how the story goes :P ...when they get
Hot!!! like a tube furnace they will put a big smile on your anode ;):D:cool:

About that bimetal nickel spinel , or alternating Ni and Co ,
it goes back to the early part of the Cobalt Oxide Anode
thread where I posted a journal article about these spinels being compared and their mixture 50-50 was
reportedly even tougher than either spinel alone .

chloric1 - 27-1-2008 at 16:19

@Rosco-Well I have been contemplating the same temperature gradient since I put this together. Incidently I measured my temperatures at the end of the tube so I feel it is OK to leave a centimeter or two hanging out. This is helpfull in I don't have the rod right against the nozzle so nothing should exceed 500°C.
I wanted the horizontal arrangement because my rod stock is 1/4" (0.8 cm)and it would be a chore to drill into it. That is if I can manage to do that at all. When I hook up the anodes, we will see if this arrangement can work.

@Xenoid-No I did not use alcohol and when I withdrew the rod from the cobalt solution I gently tapped it on the 25 ml cyclinder I am using for dipping. Yes, there seems to be some powdery residue on the bottom side of the rod. I use a wet paper towel and any oxide not adhering comes off in 2 or 3 wipes. I also rotate during bake runs so I can even the coating a bit.

Well, I have six year old stannous chloride which really is probably stannic oxychloride. I dissolve 28 grams in 100ml and added 300 ml of 29% ammonia and I have a "tin milk" I will dip with this soon and we can see what comes of this.

Rosco Bodine - 27-1-2008 at 16:46

@chloric1 ,

That was probably not the best thing to do with the stannous chloride :P But don't toss it .

Do you have any left that you didn't neutralize ?

Do you have an accurate temperature controlled warmer or hotplate , if you do , you should take a shot at the oxidative soak deposition , as it should very evenly coat
the anode .

[Edited on 27-1-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

chloric1 - 27-1-2008 at 17:20

Yes I have a hotplate. I neutralize all the 28 grams of SnCl2 I measure out. I got a few hundred grams left. The milk does seem to put an uneven coat. I am doing a second coat with crem de leche right now. After this I wanted to try the 1 hour bake to seal it. For what its worth the tin oxide wants to coat everything and it seems to like being suspended in solution.

This oxidative soak. You have peaked my curiousity. So, what concentration do I use? I use only stannous chloride and boil I take it. I can use the anode as a stir stick:D since it would be in the way of a stir bar. I do not want to use a bunch of tin so I need to heat a graduated cylinder. Possibly the 25 ml one I am using for dips.

Rosco-One last thing, once I do the long bake, am I going to be abe to add to an anode?

Rosco Bodine - 27-1-2008 at 17:32

Five posts up from the bottom of the preceding page ,
here's the link for the article
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?action=att...

What's happening with the SnCl2 solution is that it is indeed doing its oxidative soak deposition but in an uncontrolled way which leads to a slime as opposed to a hardcoating of the desired material . Sooo you have to follow the article to get it to do its thing in the narrow range of concentration where the deposition rate is controlled . All you need is a thin coating and then to bake it onto the spinel maybe 10 minutes @ 450C , or a bit longer at a lower temp , and you have a sealed and
cobalt spinel doped intermediate layer on Ti . With any subsequent coatings you will probably have to add dopant to the SnO2 precursor , but that first coat should pick up enough doping by diffusion from the spinel .

chloric1 - 27-1-2008 at 17:50

Thank you so much. I don't know how I missed that reference. Actually, they give a wide range of concentrations of the SnCl2 and KNO3. So just going within there range should suffice. Since my stannous chloride is practically no longer stannous, I am thinking of adding some to a mix of tin metal and conc. HCl. I will also need to filter before I use the solution.

Xenoid - 27-1-2008 at 18:20

Quote:
Originally posted by chloric1
..... I don't know how I missed that reference.

Yeah! I have the same problem! I read a reference that has some good ideas, then something else comes along, and I immediately forget about it.

Maintaining a temperature of 60 oC. for +24 hours may be tricky. Why is it so important to only partly cover the soaking beaker?

I might try this with multiple layers of SnO2 with some Bi(NO3)2 thrown in the mix!

BTW won't SnO2 be converted to a stannate in the uncontrolled high pH environment of an amateur chlorate, and especially perchlorate cell, where the pH hits 11.5.

[Edited on 27-1-2008 by Xenoid]

chloric1 - 27-1-2008 at 18:49

Xenoid-I think the stannate only forms under the most grueling alkaline conditions. SnO2 is very persistent and wants to coat everything. I am having a time getting residues off glassware. The milk dip is not the best way to get the SnO2 coating. I did a REALLy hot bake for 30 minutes on a final thrid coat of stannic oxide. Incidently, I can no longer block three of the four baffles any more because the last two inches of the rod where glowing dull red.:o:o Also, I want to try zinc dopant on my next anode. If I can manage a alkali fusion with zirconium silicate, I would like to make zirconium nitrate to dope the cobalt spinel.

There is no white powder crust and my deposit is VERY tough although not as smooth as Nicolas is. Will test both soon. It appears my uneven SnO2 coat has reduced the streaking on the paper when wiped wet. I am thinking the cobalt spinnel absorbed most of the tin as no visible white coating is seen.

Rosco Bodine - 27-1-2008 at 20:20

Quote:
Originally posted by chloric1
There is no white powder crust and my deposit is VERY tough although not as smooth as Nicolas is. Will test both soon. It appears my uneven SnO2 coat has reduced the streaking on the paper when wiped wet. I am thinking the cobalt spinnel absorbed most of the tin as no visible white coating is seen.

That tracks *exactly* with what I expected and predicted about the solid solution mutual solubility of cobalt spinel
and SnO2 , which was guessed from the electrical properties chart of US4369105 in early study of the Dow patents .
It was clear that plain SnO2 picks up doping from cobalt spinel quite easily by diffusion when the spinel is overcoated
onto the SnO2 , and diffusion should have occurred equally well in the reverse order as is being used here . Dow had the right idea , they just had the most desired order of application reversed :P I was reasonably certain that was the case.

Actually there is a mutual solid solution solubility that should be high for MnO2 as well with both the Co2O3 and SnO2
in binary or tertiary system , and I think Bi and also Fe
follow that same pattern at least with regards to SnO2 .
All of these should diffuse pretty well and form well adhering
boundaries of variable diffusion between layers , particularly when SnO2 is predominating as the major component .

chloric1 - 28-1-2008 at 03:01

Well, here is a tentative plan, I still have the remains of the tin milk in a beaker. I am going to let it dehomogenize and decant the supernatent liquid probably after 2 or 3 days. I will then attempt to dissolve in nitric acid with specific gravity of 1.2 IIRC. If this works in my favor, I will add a small portion of bismuth nitrate to this and develope a third anode.

idea for a tube furnace

Rosco Bodine - 28-1-2008 at 20:30

After pricing of some industrial grade heating elements
and getting sticker shock , I remembered something about
an incoloy sheathed hot water heater element being made
for hardwater service , and a manufacturers note that the
elements could withstand dry firing . So basically what it is
is a folded hairpin "calrod" sort of tubular element that is a whole lot like the heating elements on an electric kitchen range cooktop , or the oven element , or the heating element
in an electric broiling grill , or an electric charcoal starter .....
it can be run actually glowing red hot ....probably even orange hot at the service limit . And best of all they are not
expensive . Here's what one looks like , and I think the element sheath is 3/8" diameter . The way I was thinking
of making use of the element involves splitting the mounting
plate with a saw , to separate the terminal ends of the hairpin so it can be spread apart slightly , and possibly also spreading apart the single U-bend slightly , so the whole
12" of the heated section is sprung slightly against the inside walls of a 13" length of square stainless tubing ,
2" square stainless tubing looks right , with the longer
legs of the element seated against the inside corners and the folded back portions sprung slightly against the inside walls and clamped down with small brackets or perhaps
with stainless lockwire through small drilled holes . The
tube furnace could be wrapped with rockwool or kaowool ,
and then fiberglass for added insulation , everything laced down with stainless lockwire or stainless zip ties like used for securing header wrap . A sensing thermocouple and
a digital PID furnace controller would be used for controlling
the element , and using half the rated voltage the actual
power would be only 25% of the rating , which would be
1375 Watts actual and very safe for the element .
From an economics standpoint , I like it :D The heating
would be very even due to the heatsinking by the tube .
I am thinking maybe about a 3/16" to 1/4" vent hole in top
and bottom to allow it to breathe by chimney effect ,
and orient it vertically with the unheated 2" terminal ends
exiting the bottom , and the thermocouple sensor near the top .

$16.42 for the 5500 Watt rated incoloy element isn't bad
http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0114176.html

[Edited on 29-1-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

chloric1 - 29-1-2008 at 03:09

Yeh that might work but I think you are overengineering here. I am thinking Kanthal wire,which is not terribly expensive on ebay, wrapped around a stainless mesh with kaowool,variac and a thermocouple. Athough there are inherent problems with the heat gun approach, I do like to think the air flow is quite beneficial for what we are doing. It offers a constant fresh supply of oxygen. I just have to watch out and not block as many baffles.;)

Rosco Bodine - 29-1-2008 at 10:13

Maybe over the top , but I already have the precision
digital programmable process controllers and sensors on hand ........besides , I love LED real time process monitoring :D
Takes the guesswork right out of the picture with regards to gradients and stuff , I can monitor not only the element
and air temperature inside the oven , but actually monitor
the substrate core temperature itself and watch the heating gradient and plateau , soak time ect .
I have some airhandling and flowmonitoring capability too but figure that is probably over the top for sure . But I like the other stuff . Using the parts I already have , I can
put it together without too much expense . I mainly like
going that way because I won't have to babysit the
process like a blacksmith at a forge ......but just do a
"run program" and come back later when the cake is ready to come out of the oven .

Twospoons - 29-1-2008 at 14:17

Is that a ceramic terminal block on the end of that element? If not, you might be well advised to change it.

Rosco Bodine - 29-1-2008 at 14:50

It's probably bakelite and was expected to be toast :D
I was going to torch it and crumble it away with a few taps with a hammer and chisel or try crunching it away with vise grips . The screw tabs are probably spot welded to the solid exit pins which are likely about 2 1/2" long .
Anyway I'll know soon enough cause I got one on the way .

When it arrives I will peform the "exploratory surgery" :P
and see what I've got after parting the plate , probably
bisecting the terminal block at the same cut , with a hacksaw . I'll probably leave the metal plates attached to the incoloy as heatsink flanges for that terminal area .

chloric1 - 29-1-2008 at 15:33

Well,Rosco, to put things in perspective, it is only over the top if the hardware is out of your price range and/or if you do not have it on hand. Sounds like your setup wont take too much trouble. I, on the otherhand, of somewhat limited means, for now mind you, have to work a little bit to compensate for a lack of the "latest and greatest" in technology.

It might go beyond sensibility but sometimes the technologically simple, more labor intensive methodology appeals to me.

Rosco Bodine - 29-1-2008 at 16:12

Please don't think I am dissing the heat gun furnace , no
not at all . I actually have some other need for a tube
furnace and have thought about building one for awhile ,
before the heat gun idea ever came up , so that's why
I already got the controllers before even knowing about the heat gun . There's nothing wrong with that so don't get me wrong . Some of the things I want to do other than
anodes is beyond the reach of the heat gun , and the furnace can do both . I have the heat gun too so I have it covered either way . Anyway having the readout data will
allow me to know exactly what the parameters are ,
if I should submit an article or go further .

Actually I have a variable speed linear actuator which I could use to duplicate dip coating withdrawal rates where
the precursor film is applied . But I probably won't use that either , not that it would be a bad thing for eliminating another variable . I'm an old production line
worker so I tend to think along those lines so I know I can reproduce nearly exactly whatever was done before that turned out right :D Clones , reproducibility ....you know.

BTW that group of Irish ladies , the MadScience divas :P
are in my area and I checked the cost of tickets and got another case of sticker shock ...about $200 each for general audience seating and it gets worse of course for premium seating ....so those girls are definitely upscale , there will
be a lot of valet limo parking at that concert . Well they may be high maintenance , but that's not really surprising .
I would definitely say those girls are some of Irelands national treasure .

Twospoons - 29-1-2008 at 16:45

I'd forget torching the bakelite - few things smell worse, and it is probably brittle enough that a sharp smack witha hammer will deal to it. Next you'll want some high temp silicone wire for the connections.
I dare say you know all this already Rosco, but others might not.

chloric1 - 29-1-2008 at 17:04

No offense taken. Actually, I am taking note of your statements for future use. If I was in a pinch I would like a precise furnace so I may heat some potassium chlorate to EXACTLY 400°C so I can get perchlorate if I am unable to have an anode ready. At least with the heat gun, I can use it to remove paint when I am not cooking anodes. ;)

How about cryogenic bakelite? A nice dip in dry ice & acetone. :D

Well, if you bad mouth the divas, your just jealous thats all!:D:D

Rosco Bodine - 5-2-2008 at 17:14

ooops almost forgot , time for a diva fix :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGpTkv713vQ&feature=relat...
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H4TlDxXxVk

Just a bit of curiosity concerning the Bismuth explorations .
Anybody have any further developments with
Ti / Co2O3 / SnO2 / Bi2O3-SnO2 or
Ti / Co2O3 / SnO2 / MnO2-SnO2-Bi2O3 or perhaps
Ti / Co2O3-Ni2O3 (50/50) / SnO2 / SnO2-Bi2O3 (95/5) ?

I found some semiconductor manufacturing surplus
new old stock components which are furnace related bargains and I couldn't resist :P So I have some more components in shipment now for making a larger tube furnace as well as making the smaller furnace using the hot water heater incoloy element . I got some strip heaters that are incoloy too , and some 40A solid state relays arrived yesterday that are way more than adequate for the heating element control . More parts are coming in over the next week . Still tooling .

[Edited on 6-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

chloric1 - 5-2-2008 at 18:15

Well, I have not been able to venture to the hardware store lately and my daughter has chicken pox. So homelife is rather demanding. Just enough time to look into this forum a little here and there. Not to menton weather problems. Tornados n Jan/Feb? Whaaaat the hell?!:mad::mad::o

I have the current density calculation for my first SnO2 attempt figured out. Unfortunately, I do not have the precision power supply with current and voltage limiting like Xenoid has. I will fill everyone ASAP! I need to get on this because I know Xenoid is dying to know about nickel-cobalt spinel mix.

[Edited on 2/5/2008 by chloric1]

elementary wattsome

Rosco Bodine - 9-2-2008 at 16:56

On the preceding page I proposed that possibly an incoloy
sheathed hot water heater element might be modified as
an inexpensive heating element for a 2" square tube tube furnace .
I ordered one and have gradually gently opened the original bends
to reshape the element to a larger dimension .
Still have some final cambering of the element
to finalize the fit , but it looks like it may work out okay .
The calrod is 5/16" diameter instead of the 3/8" I was guessing before having the part in hand .

Here's the before modding Camco #04963 , 240V 5500W

and here's after modding

The length between the outside of the single hairpin to the
outside of the double hairpin is 11 1/2 inches . At 120 V
the element should produce something in slight excess of 1375W , which in an outside insulated 2 inch square tube
should get plenty hot enough for baking any anodes and
will probably go fine to 650C - 1200F as a comfortable limit .

The terminal block turned out to be polypropylene and a heat gun softened it up
enough that it pulled away in a couple of chunks easily .

The next step was opening up the double hairpin bend at the extreme end gradually until there was about 3 inches clearance at the single hairpin tip where it was folded close to the parallels near the mounting plate as manufactured .

The mounting plate was separated using a vise and three separate cuts with a hacksaw , the first a straight cut with the blade at normal angle making a cut from the backside of the folded section , the cut about a third of the distance through the plate . Then the plate was flipped over and
the blade was placed at the 60 degree side angle position
in the hacksaw frame , and a similar depth cut was made
from the folded hair pin side . Then the element was flipped
vertical and rotated 90 degrees in the vise , the blade was loosened and put between the elements where they enter
the mounting plate on the hot side , and with the blade still
at that side position used in the cut before , the middle third
remaining was cut completely through , intersecting the two
previous cuts to form a single cut , separating the plate .
Where there's a will there's a way :P

I haven't yet tested the element to see if it has withstood the very gradual reshaping ,
but supposedly calrods can be bent okay before they are put into service . After they have been fired up , the heating element inside embrittles so after firing they cannot be reformed . Therefore I am not going to energize the element until it is finished mounting in the tube whereafter it will not be moved , except by its own thermal expansion and contraction within mountings which will allow that slight free movement .

[Edited on 9-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

tentacles - 10-2-2008 at 07:15

Rosco, I've bent some heating elements scavenged from a toaster oven, of a similar type, and they withstood going from straight rods to spirals just fine. I even cut one, and the resistance wire inside is actually wound in a spiral inside the tube (packed in whatever the hell that white crap is). The elements I abused were most definitely used when I performed my "surgery".

Haven't been messing with anodes for the last week, I'm letting some SnCl2 I made dry out so I can make some of that oxidative soak solution. I've been thinking of lining my graduated cylinder with a plastic bag or something similar so that I don't permanently coat it with SnO2.

Interestingly, on another tangent, I dropped one of my mystery non-lead sinkers into some HCl, and I get a bright piss-yellow solution, with black scum floating on top. Any idea what metal this would be?

[Edited on 10-2-2008 by tentacles]

Rosco Bodine - 10-2-2008 at 07:38

I don't know unless it is a thermoplastic adhesive used in the compression molding of the bismuth powder . Because
of the brittleness of bismuth I think they used that method
for manufacture to make the sinkers less prone to shattering on impact . They still break if you place them in a plastic bag and smack them sharply with a hammer . Melting the material first is what I was going to do to make sure I got a clean metal . I haven't tried to process any of mine yet .

[Edited on 10-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

tentacles - 10-2-2008 at 09:14

The bismuth sinkers I already melted, these are the ones I picked up at walmart, labeled simply "Non-lead Dipsey Bass Sinkers". They ARE quite brittle, and hard. I drilled into one a bit and it was brittle and screechy but not terribly hard to drill. I'm thinking these must be iron, and possibly they are coated with some kind of oil, wax or finish to prevent oxidation. I have not tried melting one yet.

My Bismuth sinkers seemed to be simply cast bismuth, there was no vapor or smoke when I melted them. I dripped the metal into cold water to produce nice fragments, and it made some interesting shapes when it hit the water.

Rosco Bodine - 10-2-2008 at 09:16

BTW , nice to know that somebody is listening about the
sol-gel deposition and baking technology which I have been trying to reveal has applicability here for coating anodes .
It hasn't been stated openly as such in any of the literature
that doped tin oxide is a clathrate , but take my word for it :P , that is precisely what doped tin oxide is :D . And I have tried to break that news somewhat gently :cool: in another thread with a reference to the hundred year old discovery of this clathrate structure by a Dutch chemist ,
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?goto=lastp...
It seems van Leent , like some other scientists of that era before the mechanism of inclusion compounds had been elucidated , were creating clathrates and puzzled by them ,
for not really understanding what they had , other than it was a genuine curiosity :D , an anomalous material which
seemed to be a compound of some sort but didn't behave
like usual compounds in every way .

The intermediate hydrosol gel formation which is thermally unstable and forms a mixed matrix with the included , or caged dopant material , in an expanded water containing lattice structure , which collapses on dehydration by heating ,
is a *classic* clathrate formation mechanism which I certainly do recognize for what it is :D . And the polycrystalline inclusion compound which results is a "solid solution" , but likely at the point of saturation with dopant , it is also more precisely an inclusion compound or in other words a clathrate .

It's time for a diva break :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faKFcfytlxU

Xenoid - 10-2-2008 at 09:43

Quote:
Originally posted by tentacles
Haven't been messing with anodes for the last week, I'm letting some SnCl2 I made dry out so I can make some of that oxidative soak solution. I've been thinking of lining my graduated cylinder with a plastic bag or something similar so that I don't permanently coat it with SnO2.

Same here!

I have a beaker half-full of concentrated SnCl2 solution, I know the approximate molarity from the amount of tin I dissolved (which took forever). Is there any point in trying to crystallise it, is it straight forward, any tricks! I noticed a thin film, in the bottom of a beaker, crystallised nicely on evaporation!

I was thinking of doing the oxidative soak in a test tube, upright in a beaker of hot water on a hot plate. The temperature has to be kept at 60 oC +/- 5 oC, (333 oK, Table 2. Page 1242). Film is only 100nm (0.1 um) after 24 hours, so may require several days for a reasonable thickness, eg. 0.5 microns. This is reduced by 30% when pyrolised. I will also be adding some Bi to make it conductive.

I have made some Bi(NO3)3 went OK except for the clouds of NO2, the reaction is quite vigorous with 68% HNO3. I had to take the beaker down to the bottom of the garden! I had to keep adding bits of Bi and it still kept bubbling, solution was yellow/green from dissolved NOx, then overnight the whole lot turned to colourless crystals.

Bi is only slightly attacked by HCl and the chloride is normally made by the action of conc. HCl on Bi2O3. I have dissolved pottery Sb2O3 in HCl and got a pale yellow colour!

tentacles - 10-2-2008 at 10:58

Xenoid: So if you are doping the SnO2 with Bi, in an oxidative soak situation, what Bi compound are you adding to achieve this? Is a dopant required for a sealing intermediate layer to be conductive? Does the application and subsequent baking of the SnO2 deposited by ox-soak over Co spinel provide sufficient doping?

I wonder what would happen if the oxidative soak was tried using Bi(NO3)3 and SnCl2?

Rosco Bodine - 10-2-2008 at 11:35

The initial sealing layer of SnO2 over the cobalt spinel can be pure SnO2 , since it will dope itself upon baking by diffusion
of the cobalt spinel from below .

However an oxidative soak deposited pure SnO2 layer can
also be doped by diffusion of a dopant from above , the
dopant also applied in the cold , and then the doped SnO2
developed on baking . Attached is an example for antimony doping , but other dopants could be applied similarly .

I still say that use of a Pytlewski polymer wetting agent as a
simple dip and dry treatment between coats should improve the results for any of these coating sequences .

Attachment: Antimony doping of tin oxide coatings prepared by the oxidative-soak coating method .pdf (325kB)
This file has been downloaded 969 times

Xenoid - 10-2-2008 at 11:41

Quote:
I wonder what would happen if the oxidative soak was tried using Bi(NO3)3 and SnCl2?

Yeah! I haven't quite worked that out yet! Adding a small quantity of Bi(NO3)3 or BiCl3 to the soak solution will result in bismuth subnitrate and oxychloride respectively forming, which is undesireable. I may try multiple oxidative soak/ pyrolysis for the SnO2 with some Bi(NO3)3 pyrolysis layers interspersed.

BTW Hubert is still running in the KClO3 cell, I will have to call it a day soon though, as I'm getting a bit sick of it. It's been running continuously for 42 days (1008 hours) now. Every few days I scoop out KClO3 and add some more KCl (a bit like running a ginger beer plant). The electrical characteristics are very, very slowly degrading. I think if you put on 20 coats of MnO2 and kept the current density to 50 mA/cm^2 it would just about run forever ... :D

Rosco Bodine - 10-2-2008 at 11:51

Tin nitrate and bismuth nitrate might work .

According to US4272354 , Bi(NO3)3 and SnCl4 are workable together , and also BiCl3 and SnCl4 .

Here's another soak deposition method which is similar but involves only hydrolysis of the precursors which are already at the higher oxidation state . From what I have understood
the pH range and concentration and temperature must be
in a narrow window for these deposition methods to work well , but then the conditions are also pretty specific for
other methods . If done right , a transparent well adhering
film is deposited , and if done wrong the result is a dusty deposit which wipes right off and doesn't stick at all .

Attachment: Electroless deposition of SnO2 and Antimony doped SnO2 films .pdf (505kB)
This file has been downloaded 905 times

garage chemist - 11-2-2008 at 03:33

The "white crap" inside heating rods is sintered (dead-burned) magnesia, which has a high thermal conductivity for an electrical insulator. It is also extremely heat resistant.

Aren't those heating rods expensive? Won't a few selfmade NiCr wire coils inside a makeshift oven chamber made from aerated concrete blocks (Ytong), which is how I built my first 1000°C tube furnace, do the job as well?

tentacles - 11-2-2008 at 08:51

Rosco, I read through that second paper on the Sb doping, and it sounds very much like an adjunct to the first. They use the same method to deposit SnO2 film, then dope it by soaking in SbCl3 + HCl solution, then bake at 400C for 10 minutes.

Garage chemist: It's nothing more than a dry-fire capable water heater element. An oven element could also serve, I would think. I doubt you'd get 1000C out of these but for a lower temp furnace it should suffice, and they are definitely cheap, and durable.

microcosmicus - 11-2-2008 at 09:46

Quote:

The "white crap" inside heating rods is sintered (dead-burned) magnesia,

When I've opened up heating rods, the insulator inside was liquid, so they
must have used some sort of oil to make a paste out of the magnesia.
I guess silicone oil was used but does someone know for sure? Since
these heating rods are intended for applications where the temperature
does not go too high, I presume that the oil would boil and make a mess
of the element if one heated it much beyond the usual operating temperature.

garage chemist - 11-2-2008 at 13:32

I was talking about heating rods that do normally operate without contact with any liquid, like the heating rods in a kitchen baking oven with grill function. Those do get red hot (ca. 800°C) during normal operation, and do contain pure magnesia as the insulator and nothing else. I have never seen or heard about rods that contain a liquid.

dann2 - 11-2-2008 at 17:36

Hello,

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenoid

BTW Hubert is still running in the KClO3 cell, I will have to call it a day soon though, as I'm getting a bit sick of it. It's been running continuously for 42 days (1008 hours) now. Every few days I scoop out KClO3 and add some more KCl (a bit like running a ginger beer plant). The electrical characteristics are very, very slowly degrading. I think if you put on 20 coats of MnO2 and kept the current density to 50 mA/cm^2 it would just about run forever ... :D

Have you tried running the Mn Oxide anode in a Perchlorate cell. Perhaps you have reported it and I missed it.
What (roughly) is the voltage accross cell now?

Cheers,
Dann2

Xenoid - 11-2-2008 at 19:28

Quote:
Have you tried running the Mn Oxide anode in a Perchlorate cell. Perhaps you have reported it and I missed it.
What (roughly) is the voltage accross cell now?

Dann2, you may recall Gertrude and Mathilda, they did not perform particularly well in a perchlorate cell. They both had similar coats to Hubert!

Hubert started out (2nd day) at 3.6 volts / 2.0 amps (55mA/cm^2) and is now running at 4.4 volts / 2.0 amps. I've been running it at 2.0 amps most of the time, except for several days in the middle at 3.6 amps, which seemed to do a bit of damage to the coating!

The cell has been on a stirrer / hotplate with constant stirring and temperature maintained at 42 oC. I could have run it hotter, which would have improved the electrical characteristics with it being a KCl cell, but that temperature is what it stabilised at on the lowest setting, so I just left it!

[Edited on 11-2-2008 by Xenoid]

DerAlte - 11-2-2008 at 21:39

@Xenoid

42 days and still standing, fantastic! Just imagine the crud you would have from an infinity of gouging rods. Have you been watching pH? You may have mentioned it above, but it's difficult to sort out from your numerous posts.

Any idea of current efficiency? Should also be better than carbon, one would think.

Great work. Now for perchlorate...

Regards
Der Alte.

Rosco Bodine - 11-2-2008 at 22:33

Quote:
Rosco, I read through that second paper on the Sb doping, and it sounds very much like an adjunct to the first. They use the same method to deposit SnO2 film, then dope it by soaking in SbCl3 + HCl solution, then bake at 400C for 10 minutes.

There's simply some more evidence there that dopant addition can be done by diffusion on baking .
It would seem likely that BiCl3 could be used identically as is SbCl3 .
And Bi(NO3)3 can be applied as a 10% solution to form the oxide on baking , but the solution of Bi(NO3)3 must be dissolved in and kept acidic with dilute HNO3 as it begins to hydrolyze immediately .

BTW , jpsmith123 had first posted one of the Bi related patents which I later found independently , I just ran across it while doing a search

US4353790 indicates that Bi is useful as an interface on Ti substrate anodes , either plated on as the metal and oxidized on baking , or applied as a 10% solution of the nitrate directly to a Ti substrate and then baked to the oxide . In the patent , the Bi interface is used in conjunction with an overcoating of Iridium and Iridium Oxide to produce anodes having twenty times the durability of Pt plated Ti anodes . Of course Bi in other patents reportedly also performs well as a dopant for SnO2 and MnO2 .

CRC reports Bi(NO3)3-5H2O (mol.wt. 485.07) solubility as
42 grams in 100 ml acetone at room temperature , which would seem to make acetone
the solvent of choice for any dip coating scheme .

Bi(NO3)3 is reportedly unstable to heating even slightly warm , CRC says decomposition at 30C
with loss of 5 H2O at 80C which I assume is for the neutral salt in the absence of any stabilizing excess of HNO3 .

I would presume from this that neutral Bi(NO3)3 would be something then which you would want to crystallize out from dilute HNO3 ( maybe .5 to 1.5 molar ? ) in the cold and dry without any warming in the cold , looks like a refrigerator storage item . How stable is the acetone solution , I have no idea . Interesting chart below also are double salts of
Bi(NO3)3 which might also be soluble in acetone , particularly
interesting is the Mn(NO3)2 , and the juxtaposition with some
other materials of interest like Co and Ni . It makes me curious about stannic nitrate as well .

The above chart was excerpted from a book downloaded from here http://books.google.com/books?id=G5BLAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA151&a...

[Edited on 12-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

Xenoid - 12-2-2008 at 01:09

@ Rosco

We still seem to be running around in circles, it would be really nice if some kind soul could make a list of all the patents quoted in the various anodes threads, along with a descriptive title.

US4272354 is one of the main patents I've been looking at in terms of bismuth, I believe this is the US patent equivalent of the WIPO International Patent WO 79/00842 that you and chloric1 got excited about a while back. It has some of the same diagrams.

Bi(NO3)3 is easy and straight forward to make, and the moist (with dilute HNO3 left over from the dissolution) crystals are quite stable in the fridge at least (see post up the page).

I've done some solubility checks;

1) I put a small spatula load of crystals in the bottom of a test tube, added some acetone - instant white ppt. of bismuth subnitrate (BSN)
2) I put a small spatula load of crystals in the bottom of a test tube, added some isopropyl alcohol - instant white ppt. of BSN, but very voluminous, and stays in suspension!
3) I put a small spatula load of crystals in the bottom of a test tube, added some 68% HNO3, a ml or so, enough to easily cover the crystals, they partly dissolved!
4) I added an equivalent amount of H2O to the above (3) ALL the crystals dissolved and the solution remained clear!
5) I repeated (4) about 10 times and the solution remained clear.
6) By this time the test tube was about half full of solution, so I tipped it into a small beaker and added water to double the volume, solution was still clear. At this stage I checked the pH it was still way down at about 1.
7) I put some of this dilute solution in a test tube and added an equivalent amount of isopropyl alcohol, a white hazy layer of BSN formed at the interface, when I shook it up the white disappeared and the solution cleared.
8) Repeated (7) with acetone and got same result.

So in summary, I don't think there is any problem making Bi(NO3)3 solutions for pyrolysis with, say Mn(NO3)2 as I have these solutions acidified with HNO3 anyway. The important thing to do is mix the Bi(NO3)3 with a little HNO3 first, before mixing with other solutions, and keep the pH (very) low.

[Edited on 12-2-2008 by Xenoid]

Rosco Bodine - 12-2-2008 at 01:29

That's strange about the acetone . Many references may be in error , perhaps in translation and it is acetic acid that
is the solvent , not acetone ???? But they do say acetone .
Maybe it needs a trace of nitric acid at the start of solution .

Maybe this was covered before , but I don't remember it .
I just excerpted the Bismuth Nitrates related material from Gmelin . I also ran across a note there or somewhere else that acetic acid added to a nitric acid solution of Bi(NO3)3 would greatly reduce the tendency to precipitate the basic nitrate upon dilution with water. Also there is a mention in Gmelin that if a Bi(NO3)3 solution is very gently evaporated
at a temperature low enough that evolution of nitrogen oxides and loss of nitric acid does not occur , that a concentrated uncrystallizable syrup remains .

[Edited on 12-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: Bismuth Nitrate Gmelin.pdf (312kB)
This file has been downloaded 651 times

Oxidative Soak

Xenoid - 12-2-2008 at 20:42

@Rosco - this is for you!

I've just started another anode, this one is destined for a perchlorate cell. I have put on 4 coats of Co3O4 using the same procedures as outlined in earlier posts. I am following this with an oxidative-soak-coat of SnO2. Over the top of all this I plan to do several coats of Bi doped MnO2. If this coating scheme shows no improvement over the earlier MnO2 coated perchlorate anodes, I think I will give up on MnO2.

I have used the solution concentrations suggested in the paper; .01M SnCl2 and .05M KNO3. The soak solution was made up by pippeting .5 mls of 2M SnCl2 stock solution and 5 mls of 1M KNO3 stock solution into a 100 ml volumetric flask. About half this quantity is being used for the soak.

My setup is shown in the attached image. The Co3O4 coated Ti rod is resting in a 25 mm diameter test tube containing the soak solution,which in turn is supported in a large beaker of water on a hotplate. The temperature is coming up to 60 oC at the lowest hotplate setting. I will probably let the soak run for 48 hours.

I think I will call this anode Gunther (brave warrior).

Update: Temperature has stabilised at 59 oC. Unfortunately, after only an hour a little whitish floc has formed in the test tube, and the solution is a little hazy. This is not supposed to happen!

Edit: Hmmm.. after 2 hours some of the floc has settled out, it's a dirty grey brown colour, may be just due to impurities in the water.

[Edited on 12-2-2008 by Xenoid]

OxidativeSoak.jpg - 13kB

Rosco Bodine - 12-2-2008 at 22:35

Putting some theory to the test huh ? :D

How was the wetability of the spinel without a mixed valency polymer pretreatment ,
did it seem to wet out fine by the SnCl2 oxidative soak solution ?

I'm thinking all you should see as a result is a change
in the sheen and color, like a clear coat or perhaps a
slightly hazy clear coat , and a more visible glassy appearance to the coating after baking .
With four coats of spinel there , it may soak up the SnO2 like
a sponge , so it may take a couple of repetitions .
It may not even take four coats of spinel for the interface
before the SnO2 , but only one or two may do it .

The SnO2 should be followed by Bi2O3 doped SnO2 .
A great time to try stannic nitrate there , or even here
if the oxidative soak doesn't seal and build thickness
rapidly . IIRC there is a point where the thickness
of the hard deposited material limits out , per coat ,
and thereafter a bulk precipitation rather than a controlled
deposition just deposits the usual slime .

Don't get in too big a hurry with the Bi2O3 - MnO2 ,
save that for last .

BTW , in the article it was reported that slight turbidity was
normal in the first prepared solutions even using reagent grade materials and distilled H2O ,
so they held the solutions at 80C for three hours and then filtered them before use .

Looks like you should prop open that watchglass cover slightly ,
to allow the solution to have a very limited access to air so it can breathe a little .

Something which has been an idea for awhile concerns the
stannous nitrate which was described in the antimony and tin nitrate thread
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?goto=lastp... .
Evidently the stannous nitrate solution is only stable at
lower temperatures and at higher temperatures it hydrolyzes and precipitates
a hydrated stannous or stannic oxide .
This has made me wonder what might happen
if a relatively warm anode say at 95C , like would be for
the case of an anode having a baked spinel , then dipped
and blow dried mixed valency polymer , was plunged into
a cool solution of stannous nitrate . I wonder if the the
heat loss there at the anode surface would result in a flash deposit of an adherent film
of hydrated SnO2 , derived from local thermal decomposition of the stannous nitrate solution
immediately adjacent the hot surface . If it was adherent ,
then it would be simple to build thickness . You could have
a beaker of stannous nitrate sitting in an ice bath , and
a heat gun handy for drying and warming up the anode
and just do sequential dips to build a thickness , and then bake at a higher temperature
to sinter the material . This might be thought of as an oxidative quench deposition method :P
with the Ti blacksmith dipping the "not so hot but pretty warm anode" into the "special water" :D ,
to flash coat an oxide .

Also stannous nitrate might work as an oxidative soak deposition material
which could operate at room temperature as opposed to the 60C for the SnCl2 .
The stannous nitrate might set about an auto deposition simply by removing it from the refrigerator ,
diluting it and exposing it to air . And it would also likely be compatable with Bi(NO3)3 .
Anyway this is all purely hypothetical but might be worth experimenting at some point .

[Edited on 13-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

tentacles - 13-2-2008 at 06:47

Rosco: The wetability seems very good, when I pulled my anodes out of the solution to filter it, they are completely wetted with no beading or running of the solution. When you say mixed valency polymer solution, to what are you referring exactly?

Xenoid: The paper does mention letting the solution sit 3 hours at temp, and then suction filtering it. I think the ppct is normal. Mine went hazy-clear-hazy after I filtered a second time (about 2 hours) and there seems to be no new ppct after filtering after 4 hours. My ppct was milky white. I used .55-.6g SnCl2 and 1.2g KNO3 (I think, I'd have to check my math) in 250ml hot water. I picked up a cheap super tall shot glass to use for my oxidative soaking. I'd rather SnO2 coat a $2 glass than my good cylinders!

I've been working on my Bi(NO3)3, this time in the freezer with ~70% nitric. It's still just giving me a white ppct? I distilled more nitric last night, this batch is 1.51 sg so ~97% so I can try that. Also made some acetic acid while I had the distillation rig out.

Rosco Bodine - 13-2-2008 at 08:39

The mixed valency polymer is a partially hydrolyzed and partially reduced Sn (+IV) soluble compound cross linked
with an Sn(+II) or some other substituted metal .

US3890429 is the patent

here's where it first came up

and here's the link for the patent
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?action=att...
Attachment: US3890429 STANNIC_OXIDE_POLYMER_Film Wetting Agent.pdf (399.45 KiB)

Xenoid - 13-2-2008 at 10:34

@ Rosco, tentacles

Yeah, there is no problem with wetability. I didn't worry about the filtering because the anode surface is vertical and we are not looking at achieving optical quality films here, so I was not too concerned about "stuff" settling out. Yes, I've had a second round of haze, this time whiter, the solution is quite hazy now (15 hours).

@ tentacles

I don't understand why you are having problems with the Bi(NO3)3. As outlined earlier, all I did was add small lumps of Bi to 68% nitric acid, until the reactions stopped, it then crystallised by itself. Very vigorous reaction. Are you sure you have Bi, and not some alloy. Can you do some physical tests on your Bi (density, MP). Bi is "readily attacked by both dilute and concentrated nitric acid, forming the corresponding salt" (Mellors).

tentacles - 13-2-2008 at 11:46

Xenoid: The package obviously said Bismuth, but I have no idea of the purity. Does yours turn blackish while the reaction is driving forward? Mine reacts quite vigorously at room temp with dilute or concentrated nitric. It melts at a pretty low temperature, flows very quickly, and is hard and brittle. This second "round" of bismuth dissolution was done with the white(eggshell white maybe) ppct from the previous reaction, plus some bits of Bi metal, in the freezer with about 20ml of 70% nitric. The reaction is still proceeding - how much excess nitric did you use?

I can do a MP test at least, now that I have a thermocouple. I don't know that I have enough of a sample to test density very accurately. Maybe I'll pick up more some time, or perhaps I'll wait on your Bi-MnO2 tests?

So MnO2 is out for perchlorate production, unless a doped variety proves good, but it sounds viable to make the chlorate to convert with something else.

[Edited on 13-2-2008 by tentacles]

Rosco Bodine - 13-2-2008 at 12:41

I just did a melt test on my reputedly "bismuth" non-lead fishing sinkers , expecting to get a pool of metallic bismuth
separating from molten plastic , but that didn't happen ....
so WTF is this black powdery crap , maybe Bi2O3 ???

The smell indicates a polyethylene thermoplastic binder ,
smells like paraffin burning after you blow out a candle
and the wick ember is smoking . I have just heated
the stuff till melting and then let the plastic vapors ignite and burn off . After I ash this grungy garbage down to
carbon and whatever is left , I will see what some nitric acid does to the residue . Just hope the manufacturer
hasn't sold us iron oxide filled plastic at bismuth prices .

Iron or magnetite is precisely what it is :mad: a magnet test just told me that much ......those sorry ass low down dirty
pieces of dog shit ......there's no bismuth in these no lead sinkers , they substituted iron when bismuth got expensive :mad:

Now I am going to have to order some for real bismuth from a metals dealer .......no OTC fishing sinker bismuth anymore .
pass the word , check with a magnet to see what you got .

[Edited on 13-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

Xenoid - 13-2-2008 at 17:04

@ tentacles

I did my dissolution in a 100 or 150 ml beaker, about half full of 68% nitric acid, so about 50 - 70 mls. I initially added a piece of Bi about 2 cc in volume. For some silly reason I was thinking H2 would be evolved and I got quite a surprise when all the NO2 was evolved. I had to take a big breath and move it all well away from the house. The reaction carried on all day, and I kept on adding small pea sized lumps. I left it outside overnight and all the Bi had dissolved by morning and the beaker was almost solid crystals. I left it to warm up a bit, and tested the remaining nitric with a bit of Bi, it was still reacting so I drained the crystals and put them in a container. I remaining nitric kept reacting for the rest of the day, just a tiny stream of bubbles, eventually I added another chunk of Bi, and when the reaction appeared to cease I put it in the fridge, this again totally crystallised, with the remaining chunk of Bi in the middle.

The MnO2 just doesn't appear to be physically and chemically strong enough in a perchlorate cell, seems to be torn to bits (hydrated MnO2 crud) by the oxygen evolution. Maybe having some Bi will help. The MnO2 seems great in a chlorate cell, well even the Co3O4 lasted for a couple of weeks. Yeah, I think a long lasting anode could be made with the right combination, provided the current density is not too high!

@ Rosco

"BISMUTH" - Beijing Industrial Smelting and Metal Utensil Transmutation Holdings, this company is well known in the fishing industry for producing fraudulent products!

chloric1 - 13-2-2008 at 17:14

Quote:
@ Rosco

"BISMUTH" - Beijing Industrial Smelting and Metal Utensil Transmutation Holdings, this company is well known in the fishing industry for producing fraudulent products!

LMAO! Xenoid you are soo silly! If it is from China then it should be magnite with a little lead.:D:D:D I guess 5% lead would be considered non-lead by Chinese standards.

Rosco Bodine - 13-2-2008 at 17:27

Accept no substitutes !

Be careful where you dip your rod isn't Madame Butterfly :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMsnqQHOwFg

Evidently there was at one time a real bismuth fishing sinker sold under that same brand name as I got , but they phased out the bismuth when it became expensive
and what I got was shit , instead of bismuth .

Anyway , I ordered some genuine reagent grade metal shot .

tentacles - 13-2-2008 at 17:36

I'm thinking that my "Bismuth" fishing weights were nothing more than tin, as the white powdery precipitate is non water soluble and quite unhappy. Or perhaps some bastard Tin/Bismuth alloy. But I thought that Tin/Bi alloys were fairly malleable, whereas the higher % Bi ones were quite brittle. I read something to that effect when I was looking up solder alloys. But I DO get NO2 evolution, but I suppose this would be the case with tin as well at least at room temps, but at low temps (ie in my freezer!) I should get stannous nitrate at least.

Well, if the Bi pans out I will order some trans-border, but until then.. I will sit and wait, and experiment. Maybe I'll work on making some good chlorate anodes, and coating PbO2 over the doped tin oxide.

Edit: one last edit, my friend may have some of that subnitrate (pottery/pyro grade), which evidently dissolves in dilute nitric to form the nitrate. It's either that, or the subcarbonate, or trioxide. Any of those should work equally well.

Ok, so I lied, and I've been drinking beer... I just re-read that comment from Rosco "and what I got was shit , instead of bismuth." I envision factory workers, hard at their jobs pressing turds into a sinker shape with plastic resin, just for Rosco.

12AX7 - 13-2-2008 at 17:56

Incidentially, tin-bismuth alloys have very low melting points, the eutectic being something like 120C. If not for this, such alloys would be acceptable replacements for leaded solder in electronics (see RoHS controversy). This is of course related to such alloys as Wood's metal, which contains a few other eutectic-lowering elements, pushing the melting point under 100C.

I suppose, after some nitric acid, some of such alloy would be anode-precoat-in-one?

Tim

[Edited on 2-13-2008 by 12AX7]

Rosco Bodine - 13-2-2008 at 18:23

The cheapest source I could find for tin and bismuth
is here , but there is a 10 pound minimum . Anyway
that might fit okay if someone was casting some serious
magnetic application components and needed the Bi
in quantity .

http://www.huntersbismuth.com/pricing.html

Xenoid - 13-2-2008 at 20:05

Quote:
....but at low temps (ie in my freezer!) I should get stannous nitrate at least.

....my friend may have some of that subnitrate (pottery/pyro grade), which evidently dissolves in dilute nitric to form the nitrate. It's either that, or the subcarbonate, or trioxide. Any of those should work equally well.

I'm planning on making some stannous nitrate next. I believe it requires 30% nitric acid and temperatures less than 20 oC. according to the info. posted by Rosco. So it may still not work with your 70% acid. I am waiting for some cooler weather. I have melted some of my tin and let it dribble into a bucket of water, the drops literally explode, and produce tin "clumps" with a very large surface area. This is easier than what I did for the SnCl2 which involved using a coarse wood rasp to "file" tiny shavings of my Sn hunk. It is quite effective but hard work.

I'm not sure about the subnitrate dissolving in DILUTE HNO3 the reaction for it's formation is as follows;

Bi(NO3)3 + H2O <--> BiO.NO3 + 2HNO3

You will require conc. HNO3 (68%) to drive the reaction the other way!
The trioxide would be useful to make the chloride from conc. HCl as well. Otherwise one needs aqua regia to dissolve Bi metal to make the chloride. Bismuth trichloride can be dissolved in a little water to form a syrupy liquid, go too far and a white ppt. of BiOCl results.

Some Good News and Some Bad News

Xenoid - 15-2-2008 at 17:10

I have finally pulled the plug on Hubert and non-Purple Haze. They were still producing KClO3 but I have grown tired of this combination and besides I wanted the stirrer/hotplate for other things. The anode/cell has run for 1092 hours (45.5 days) and a total of 2299 Amp hours. I still have to redissolve all the separate lots of KClO3 obtained and recrystallise it.

On the oxidative soak front, after 72 hours all that seems to have happened is that the lovely blue/black Co3O4 coating appears to have been stripped off and is lying at the bottom of the test tube in the form of an amorphous, brownish pile of gelatinous precipitate! The new anode looks worse than "Hubert" after 1000 hours in a chlorate cell.

My first attempt at making stannous nitrate has ended in failure. I started with about 50 mls of cold 30% nitric acid. I added bits of Sn slowly and kept the dissolution running in the fridge at <5 oC. The solution just got thicker and more viscous and eventually filled up with a "dun" coloured ppt. overnight, there were bits of "golden coloured" stuff floating around in the mess. From various readings I believe hydrated tin(II) oxide is gold coloured! I am now trying to extract the filthy coloured precipitate for further experimentation.

I have started a second stannous nitrate attempt, this time using about 7% nitric acid. The reaction is proceeding slowly in the fridge, and at this point is still clear, with the exception of a little black/grey powder near the Sn pieces.

Rosco Bodine - 16-2-2008 at 00:06

Quote:
On the oxidative soak front, after 72 hours all that seems to have happened is that the lovely blue/black Co3O4 coating appears to have been stripped off and is lying at the bottom of the test tube in the form of an amorphous, brownish pile of gelatinous precipitate! The new anode looks worse than "Hubert" after 1000 hours in a chlorate cell.

Is there any color tint left to the exposed or remaining interface ? I'm wondering if the stripping stopped there at the interface of a mixed Ti and Co spinel or also reduced it to the bare Ti substrate . It sounds like the SnCl2 reduced the Co3O4 to Co(OH)2 . So that probably means oxidative soak deposition is out . An electroless deposition that starts with an already oxidized Sn(+IV) compound might work if the Co3O4 will withstand the alkaline condition . However I would expect the Co3O4 would likewise be degraded by that alkalinity . Contact time is going to be a factor with whatever precursors might attack the Co3O4 .
Quote:

My first attempt at making stannous nitrate has ended in failure. I started with about 50 mls of cold 30% nitric acid. I added bits of Sn slowly and kept the dissolution running in the fridge at <5 oC. The solution just got thicker and more viscous and eventually filled up with a "dun" coloured ppt. overnight, there were bits of "golden coloured" stuff floating around in the mess. From various readings I believe hydrated tin(II) oxide is gold coloured! I am now trying to extract the filthy coloured precipitate for further experimentation.

I have started a second stannous nitrate attempt, this time using about 7% nitric acid. The reaction is proceeding slowly in the fridge, and at this point is still clear, with the exception of a little black/grey powder near the Sn pieces.

The stannous nitrate is likely to have the same reducing effect on the Co3O4 if the contact isn't brief and the reaction driven differently . The possible exception there would
be the thermally driven flash coating sort of idea which I mentioned , which is a long shot but could work .

Using stannic nitrate as a dip coat would seem a better bet ,
or using another stannic salt SnCl4 wouldn't have the reducing effect on the Co3O4 . Applying the SnO2 as a hydrosol , a gel , or a mixed polymer gel preformed is another possibile approach . Personally I remain most intrigued by the mixed valency polymer having usefulness
in several ways , including as a liquid carrier for colloidal
hydrated SnO2 derived from simple atmospheric oxidation of an SnCl2 solution . The polymer may not even require the added thickening and might be possible to be used alone if
it is sufficiently viscous . An alternate thixotropic thickener
for the mixed valency polymer could be stannic oxide derived
from the usual nitric acid oxidation reaction with tin .

And there's always the standby alternative of SnCl4 or an
alcoholate derivative .

I'm sure there's one or more of these schemes that will work
without stripping the Co3O4 like the SnCl2 evidently does .

tentacles - 16-2-2008 at 07:08

Quote:

My anodes don't seem to be losing the CoO coating - both have a hazy coating on them, and I plan on doping and baking them at some point today. One does look a bit better than the other though. I will take pictures. The precipitate in the soak solution does have a slight yellow tinge, but it's fluffy like when you first make the solution. I don't see how there could be enough tinge in the precipitate to account for all the cobalt.

Did it seem to start stripping off the Co from the start, or is this something that seemed to happen after a couple of days? Maybe the solution is to put a thin coat of SnO2 on, dope, bake, and then put on a beefy layer.

Were your Ti pieces hydrided before the Co, or just bare etched? I've been hydriding mine, the Co really seems to stick better (as I think you mentioned first?).

Any idea if BiCl3 could be used to dope instead of the SbCl3? Or should I use I should be getting some BiO3 today. 10-20g but enough to work with for doping.

[Edited on 16-2-2008 by tentacles]

tentacles - 17-2-2008 at 21:49

Update: I took another look at those anodes, and it seems Xenoid's assessment is correct - other than a couple streaky spots, the CoO appears to have been stripped off, as well as my hydrided layer!

That would leave us looking to another method for the SnO2... Rosco, why wouldn't thermal decomposition of stannous nitrate work, as in a dip (perhaps even drying in a cold environment) and bake?

Xenoid - 18-2-2008 at 00:39

Quote:
That would leave us looking to another method for the SnO2... Rosco, why wouldn't thermal decomposition of stannous nitrate work, as in a dip (perhaps even drying in a cold environment) and bake?

Well, I can't even seem to make stannous nitrate, my second attempt hasn't worked either, despite being very dilute, and very cold. I ended up with a pale yellow solution and ppt. I put some of the supernatent liquid in a teaspoon and heated it to dryness, a very small amount of white residue remained.

Rosco Bodine - 18-2-2008 at 05:40

Stannous nitrate is a reducing agent so it is reacting with the Co2O3 . It would attack PbO2 the same way . It's the same effect as when you leave a cell open circuit , with
materials present which can react with and reduce the anode coating .

Stannic nitrate would probably be okay . Being already at the +IV higher oxidiation state , it shouldn't attack the Co2O3 . And its contact time before baking will be reduced also .

[Edited on 19-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: summary Nitric Acid products with Tin metal.pdf (112kB)
This file has been downloaded 1776 times

tentacles - 19-2-2008 at 10:58

So we need to try synthesizing the stannic nitrate? It sounds a bit difficult.

"Evidently for obtaining the Sn(IV) nitrate , only an indirect route is practical , where hydrated stannic oxide
( stannic hydroxide Sn(OH)4 ?? or "stannic acid" ?? )
is precipitated from a solution of an Sn(IV) compound
upon careful *partial* neutralization by a base slowly with vigorous stirring , whereupon the hydrated stannic oxide is obtained as a precipitate , rinsed by decantation , and
drained , dried without heating . This hydrated stannic oxide
can then be used to neutralize HNO3 completely , keeping
temperature well below 50 C , to form a solution of Sn(IV) nitrate ."

So basically, we need to start with a stannic salt, which pretty much means buying one if we want to be certain of what we have? Or is there a tin(iv) salt that is remotely easily made?

[Edited on 19-2-2008 by tentacles]

Rosco Bodine - 19-2-2008 at 11:32

The precursors for baked tin oxide coatings which are applied as liquid and then baked are all sol-gel type of systems , no matter what compounds from which they are derived , that sol-gel transition is there .

With any tin compounds in aqueous solutions , it is generally
an unstable system that is more or less of one compound
in mixture with others of a series of hydrolysis products .

Attached are a couple of references which give a look at the complex chemistry involved in the reaction of nitric acid with
tin metal . I'll attach one to my earlier post as an edit .

Anyway , the interest in the nitrate of tin is simply as one candidate compound , mostly because it is likely going to form
a sol automatically in its making , which is also a Pytlewski polymer of the sort described in US3890429 .

A different sol of only the higher valency hydrated tin oxide
is described by US6777477 . This would likely have similar
behavior to the colloidal silica described in the Pytlewski patent applied subsequent to the polymer . It was the differing electrostatic properties anticipated for these materials which was the basis for my suggestion of sequencing , the layers should stick together by attraction
of one coating for the next .

If nitrate of tin is problematic , don't get stuck on nitrate ,
as the chloride should work as well , and in the case of the sol of US6777477 the precursor is irrelevant anyway since
it is neutralized to get the stannic oxide hydrate , then
peptized with ammonia to a hydrosol .

US1879022 gives another look at some reaction parameters which are favorable for precipitation of hydrated stannic oxide gel , which may be rinsed free of its neutralization byproducts , for example the chloride or nitrate anion ,
differing here from the situation with the Pytlewski polymer
where the anion remains an included structure of the polymer . This gel may be converted back to a colloidal suspension , a sol , by peptization with ammonia .

Mixed sols of different sorts like tin with bismuth or antimony become doped colloids as the dopant is nuclei for larger particles hydrated SnO2 condensing and entrapping the dopant . This is identical to the mechanism by which flocculents are used in water treatment to precipitate impurities , in this case the impurity being the intended dopant material .

When the pH is correct , the film of the sol on dehydration by baking will adhere to the substrate as a sintered glaze of
SnO2 .

Attachment: summary Tin reactions with HNO3.pdf (216kB)
This file has been downloaded 1695 times

Xenoid - 19-2-2008 at 13:23

Well, that last abstract "Metastannic Acid and its Compounds" is as clear as mud ....!

Both my attempts at making stannous nitrate are sitting on my bench and both now look pretty much the same. A yellow / white precipitate in a yellow liquid, the yellow liquid has a dark yellow skin on the top.

I am currently trying an oxidative soak SnO2 coat directly onto an etched Ti rod. I filtered the soak solution to remove the initial floc. but now a yellowish white ppt. has formed (I seem to be plagued with yellowish-white ppt. at the moment). Not sure if anything is going on the rod. I am using the exact temperatures and molarities described in the Japanese paper, not sure why ?metastannic acid is precipitating.

Rosco Bodine - 19-2-2008 at 13:42

Yes it's a brain strainer to follow the complex chemistry and hydrolytic reactions , of these polyvalent and amphoteric metal oxides / salts / oxy-salts / basic salts / hydroxy oxides / ect . on and on it seems till a good baking simplifies everything :P and makes a well behaved SnO2 from all the misbehaving precursor mixtures . And pH is very important
not only to adhesion , but it also affects the decomposition
temperature curve , and what is good for one isn't necessarily good for the other .

One thing about the Pytlewski polymer as a precursor for baked coatings is that all the patents either run from it completely or mention it as if it was the elephant in the room . The deepening color with increased polymerization
is what we want to see there . Possibly even hybrid polymer
having both nitrate and chloride anions , or nitrate and acetate could be a good precursor for baked coatings .

Anyway , I still believe the alternating scheme makes sense .
And with the oxidative cold soak , that could still work with
a slight anodic polarization to protect the spinel . Or one of the sol-gel deposition methods which works similarly as oxidative soak , sans the oxidation for working from a solution of the Sn+IV salt originally . Stannic nitrate solution
diluted to 4.75 grams per liter tin content as the metal might deposit the same sort of film spontaneously at room temperature , and gradually precipitate the gel going to completion just sitting there .

Attached is a paper concerning the hydrated oxide of tin(+IV)
and the pyrolysis curves for the material gotten at different pH .

Of course no discussion of tin would be complete without mention of this variety ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rin_Tin_Tin

Attachment: Stannic Oxide Hydrate.pdf (661kB)
This file has been downloaded 832 times

Rosco Bodine - 20-2-2008 at 00:05

Here is an excerpted old textbook chapter which seems to better describe the subtle complexities of tin chemistry , which first caught the attention of Berzelius with the origination of the term isomer for these identified isomers , which are the alpha and beta forms of stannic "hydroxide" , thereafter being commonly called the stannic and "meta"stannic isomers respectively , along with their associated derivatives .

Historically , Woehler is credited with the first observation of
isomers in comparing fulminic acid and cyanic acid , and later urea and ammonium cyanate , as being compounds having identical chemical composition , yet different structure and properties , and it would later be Berzelius in observing the
parallel for alpha and beta stannic hydroxide , who would originate the term isomer .

The alpha isomers are the "soft" forms which are readily reactive , whereas the metastannic isomers are a polymerized form having the same chemical composition but
structurally different , much more resistant to reaction with
other materials for being essentially the alpha isomer having already reacted with itself , to form a 5 molecule "meta" unit .

Some of the pages are poorly scanned , but this should
help understanding Berzelius' original observations and naming of isomers . At about the bottom of page 5
(416-417) is where it gets to the distinctions concerning the alpha/meta transitional forms . Neutralization of the stannic salts with ammonium hydroxide follows the same track leading to a precipitation of alpha stannic acid ( tin oxy-hydroxide , tin oxide hydroxide , basic tin hydroxide ? ) and this parallels what occurs with lead hydroxide . The amphoterism allows formation of an alpha stannate of the neutralizing base if additional base in excess of that used for neutralization is present , or alternately a tin salt of an acid can be made by addition of an acid like HCl or HNO3 ect. to the rinsed precipitate of alpha stannic acid , tin (+IV) oxy-hydroxide .

[Edited on 20-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: Tin chapter from Inorganic_Chemistry.pdf (409kB)
This file has been downloaded 3276 times

Rosco Bodine - 20-2-2008 at 16:47

Quote:
So we need to try synthesizing the stannic nitrate? It sounds a bit difficult.

No pain , no gain :P Really it is a bit convoluted with regards to the steps required in working up any tin based reagents
in any sort of solution , since most of them are unstable .
Even pure tin metal itself is unstable and its compounds tend to inherit instability . Many tin reagents will have to be made
and used fresh , that is just the nature of the compounds .
You can alternately make your alpha stannic acid precursor via sodium stannate , neutralized with HCl and rinsed well ,
and then reacted with nitric acid . There are several different
synthetic routes .

Quote:

"Evidently for obtaining the Sn(IV) nitrate , only an indirect route is practical , where hydrated stannic oxide
( stannic hydroxide Sn(OH)4 ?? or "stannic acid" ?? )
is precipitated from a solution of an Sn(IV) compound
upon careful *partial* neutralization by a base slowly with vigorous stirring , whereupon the hydrated stannic oxide is obtained as a precipitate , rinsed by decantation , and
drained , dried without heating . This hydrated stannic oxide
can then be used to neutralize HNO3 completely , keeping
temperature well below 50 C , to form a solution of Sn(IV) nitrate ."

Yeah , by well below ...about 50C below there would probably be about right :P , I would do that neutralization
in an ice bath , and probably keep the stuff under 10C ,
never even go close to 50C .
Quote:

So basically, we need to start with a stannic salt, which pretty much means buying one if we want to be certain of what we have? Or is there a tin(iv) salt that is remotely easily made?

Well lemme think here a minute . If you took tin and dissolved it in concentrated nitric acid with heating ,
you would get metastannic acid precipitated and that's a
a Sn(+IV) compound , which on fusion with NaOH would
depolymerize and form alpha stannate of sodium . On
neutralizing that with HCl , then alpha stannic oxyhydroxide
would precipitate and after rinsing could then be neutralized
in the cold with HNO3 to give a solution of Sn(NO3)4 .

But it would be a lot easier probably to just dissolve tin
in aqua regia to get SnCl4 in solution and then neutralize
that with ammonium hydroxide to precipitate alpha stannic
oxyhydroxide ( alpha stannic "acid" ) and then rinse that ,
and neutralize in the cold with HNO3 to get a solution of
Sn(NO3)4 .

Both routes use HNO3 and HCl , but the second is probably
easiest .

Tin dissolved in HCl plus potassium nitrate reportedly works also , and it would be my guess that NaNO3 or NH4NO3 would possibly work too for producing an aqueous solution of SnCl4 suitable for use as precursor for alpha stannic oxyhydroxide , gotten after neutralization by ammonia and
rinsing the precipitate free of byproducts .

All this stuff about the natural polymerization tendency
of tin compounds makes old Pytlewski seem like one
much smarter pollock all of a sudden :D

There's a bit more general tin chemistry in the attachment
which is a more general description. Sometimes seeing the same thing in different words , or an added bit here and there completes the picture when no one text seems to cover it all .

[Edited on 20-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: Tin chemistry summary.pdf (204kB)
This file has been downloaded 1629 times

something very interesting

Rosco Bodine - 20-2-2008 at 21:34

Two posts above I posted a chapter from an old inorganic chemistry textbook . On page 6 (417) in the middle of the page is a reaction for stannic chloride with sodium sulfate , and very possibly a similar reaction occurs with ammonium nitrate , the product being a precipitate of alpha stannic oxyhydroxide .

There is another old text circa 1876 which refers to this .
I am attaching the page here which shows what I believe
is a mangled and incorrectly written reaction equation .
There is some confusion in the naming of compounds in
that era as well as mistaken or misprinted identification on the number of chlorines held by stannous versus stannic salts , so this brings uncertainty when referencing these ancient texts . Trying to reference this from the original
german journal article may or may not clarify the matter as the reference is from the year 1852 :P

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/10975695...

J. Löwenthal , Journal für Praktische Chemie , Volume 56, Issue 1 , Pages 366 - 374

However , this parallel reaction for ammonium nitrate with
stannic chloride , if that is what it turns out to be , could
lead to a shortcut method for conversion of tin metal
to a precipitated alpha stannic oxyhydroxide , simply
by dissolving tin metal in a mixture of hydrochloric acid
and ammonium nitrate , or perhaps in a ternary mixture
of HCl + KNO3 + NH4NO3 .

The original german article is going to need to be translated
to get at the possibility of clarifying this reaction , if by chance
the reaction is identified correctly by the good german chemist of that era . If it's true , this could be a very good find , since it would greatly simplify the making of *any*
Sn(+IV) compounds desired via two easy steps from the metal using mundane materials and mild conditions .

[Edited on 21-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: p 279 from Quantitative_Chemical_Analysis 1876.pdf (168kB)
This file has been downloaded 788 times

Rosco Bodine - 21-2-2008 at 04:46

The Lowenthal article has been obtained and is attached. Hopefully a translation will clarify the discrepancy which I believe I have found in this older literature about this reaction .

I think the reaction is described incorrectly in the journal .
What I am supposing here from the parallel reaction using
sodium sulfate described in the more modern reference ,
is that the actual reaction between stannic chloride and
ammonium nitrate above 50C would be as follows :

SnCl4 + 4 NH4NO3 + 3 HOH ----> SnO(OH)2 + 4 NH4Cl +
4 HNO3

The reaction is temperature dependant and dilution dependant ,
the volume would need to be such that the HNO3 byproduct
is estimated about 0.15 molar . The filtered and rinsed
alpha stannic oxyhydroxide could be converted to
alpha stannic nitrate in the cold using a more concentrated HNO3 .

So if this works the way I am thinking it probably does ,
the process can start with tin metal , HCl and KNO3 .

Sn + 8 HCl + 4 KNO3 ----> SnCl4 + 4 NO2 + 4 KCl + 4 HOH

Or even better NH4NO3 might substitute for the KNO3 in the
initial dissolution of the tin .

The two reactions probably can’t proceed simultaneously because of
the greater acidity requirement for the dissolution of the tin and the
more concentrated reaction mixture . However it should work as a
one pot synthesis , treating the SnCl4 and byproduct KCl solution ,
with ammonium nitrate solution sufficiently dilute to result in an
0.15 M endpoint molarity of total acids for the completed reaction mixture .

If the translation isn't revealing of what is the true story
for this reaction series , then an experiment should resolve
the matter . Anyway , pardon my departure concerning
this interelated topic of tin chemistry , but this could solve
a lot of problems if it works as hypothesized.

update : woelen is going to take a look at this and see if any sense can be made of the 1852 journal article .

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Lowenthal reaction probably works , but that possibly the product is not the desired alpha isomer but the meta isomer , or a mixture favoring one or the other dependant upon temperature , the hotter the reaction the more meta isomer , but that's just my guess . It could also be a mixed product basic salt which
confused the analysis and identification . This is probably one where the references are uncertain to the point that
only experiment will show what you actually get via such
a reaction series .

Attachment: eue Methode Zinnoxyd zu fällen und von andern Körpern zu trennen, sowie neues Verfahren, seidene, wollene und baumwollen (393kB)
This file has been downloaded 759 times

tentacles - 21-2-2008 at 17:59

A tiny bit on topic (considering the current discussion of those damned tin compounds) -
Ordered me one of these:
3715 Tin tetrachloride pentahydrate, Purity: min. 98.0%, Grade: Pure, crystalline lumps, Size: 500g $19.00
and
3598 Lead oxide, yellow, Purity: (complexometric) min. 98%, Grade: Reagent, Size: 1kg $28.89

Should be enough SnCl4 to last several lifetimes. Any Canadians that want a dash or two, let me know as I will make my run down south to pick this up in a few weeks perhaps. I've seen what Canadian chemical suppliers want for (anything), and it's frightening.

Rosco Bodine - 21-2-2008 at 18:46

Quote:
A tiny bit on topic (considering the current discussion of those damned tin compounds) -
Ordered me one of these:
3715 Tin tetrachloride pentahydrate, Purity: min. 98.0%, Grade: Pure, crystalline lumps, Size: 500g $19.00
and
3598 Lead oxide, yellow, Purity: (complexometric) min. 98%, Grade: Reagent, Size: 1kg $28.89

Should be enough SnCl4 to last several lifetimes. Any Canadians that want a dash or two, let me know as I will make my run down south to pick this up in a few weeks perhaps. I've seen what Canadian chemical suppliers want for (anything), and it's frightening.

Yeah that should last awhile . Not a bad price . I have some ordered reagents also , but didn't get those prices .

Sorry for the digressions concerning the history of tin chemistry , but it seemed that alternatives to buying
commercial reagents was in need of a look back at ways
of working from the metal or other precursors , to prepare
reagents of whatever sort desired .

S.C. Wack has provided a very good century old working
instructions for preparations for SnCl2 and SnCl4 by several
proven methods . This was posted over in dann2's SnCl4
thread , here:
and I am attaching the file here also .

My bismuth arrived the other day , yay ....but once again
I am occupied with other business that is keeping me from
experiments . I did find a spray pyrolysis article concerning
the application of defect free films of Bi2O3 , derived from
Bi(NO3)3-5H2O 0.05 molar in glacial acetic acid sprayed onto the substrate at 300C .

Anyway I still think the stannic nitrate and bismuth nitrate
with stannic nitrate mixtures are worth trying as an overcoating for the spinel , and also in combination with the MnO2 . Also I am intrigued by the possibility of a nitrate derived Pytlewski polymer of tinIV and tinII , and also
tin and bismuth .

Attachment: SnCl4 and SnCl2 Preparations.pdf (242kB)
This file has been downloaded 1261 times

Xenoid - 21-2-2008 at 20:03

Well, I have given up on oxidative soak for the moment.

I oxidised some SnCl2 solution with H2O2 (dropwise) and to this clear solution I have added some Bi(NO3)3 solution (with nitric acid), the solution is still clear and I am using this as a pyrolytic coating directly on to etched Ti. The coating is being baked at about 470 oC. using the hot air gun with another vent taped over. It is producing a satin grey white coating. It's sort of like the Bi equivalent of Dann2's ATO precursor coating, perhaps we could call it BTO ... :D

It is not really an attempt at a serious anode, I just wanted to see how the solutions behaved and how the pyrolysis went. I'll try it in a perchlorate cell, though, as Dann2 reported that a plain ATO anode lasted a while.

Rosco Bodine - 22-2-2008 at 11:41

Just don't throw out the baby with the bath water ,
the spinel is still good , it's the stannous salt that is the problem there preferentially reducing the cobalt oxide
in the same way as are oxide coated anodes vulnerable to
open circuit scenarios . Working with a stannic salt or perhaps adding some anodic potential for protection ,
or even anodic electrodeposition of the SnO2 , as well
as dip and bake schemes could all work okay without trashing the spinel .

A translation / modern interpretation of that Lowenthal article has been posted by woelen in the needed references and translations thread . The information
aligns very nicely with what I was thinking was significant .
Evidently the reactions which I was rewriting using the more modern formulas to describe what Lowenthal was
probably seeing in 1852 are likely valid . Anyway , my
earlier speculations were probably paydirt , as opposed
to being off on a tangent concerning the significance of that old journal article . Lowenthals experiments indeed do seem to reveal a shortcut to alpha stannic acid from
tin metal is possible .

tentacles - 22-2-2008 at 14:32

Rosco: have you read any articles/patents on electrodeposition of SnO2? A quick google brought up a couple hits..

This one is a long shot, the description indicates it's not what we want - porous coatings deposited in a nitric acid solution.
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S002202480400982...

Here's an article on electrodepositing SnO2-Sb2O5 on Ti for use as an electrode in electrolysis, can anyone access this? This sounds like what we want to do, but what precursors etc do we need?
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0167577X0700317...

Rosco Bodine - 22-2-2008 at 15:25

I don't think there are any patents on anodic electrodeposition of SnO2 , and few other references of any sort .

Here's another
http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=n...

It is also possible that from a solution of SnCl4 an electroless deposition might proceed by reaction with
NH4NO3 , similar to the method of oxidative soak .

Another possibility is to use a chlorides derived Pytlewski
polymer dried with mild heating then followed by a dip in ammonium nitrate solution , a rinse , another layer of Pytlewski , in sequence repeating , with a good baking
to develop the buildup ......at some number of repetitions
found to give a good thick coating , but not so thick as
to develop cracks like a baked mud .

But I still think a very promising experiment would be stannic nitrate , dip and bake . I think the loading of
solids and thickness buildup are going to be quicker there than using chlorides or alcoholates . But the Pytlewski
sequencing could work better than anything else if it can be included in some way as I am thinking it may work ,
perhaps in conjunction with the stannic nitrate in that sequence . The idea I am following is the differing electrostatic charges of these materials in adjacent layers
should enhance the density and bonding . Pytlewski hasn't been exploited for anode coatings in any of the reported work , but there seems to be no reason why it
shouldn't work as well or better than other sol-gels , like the alcoholates especially . Dittos for the stannic nitrate .
It shouldn't be hard to make so that's not stopping me .

[Edited on 22-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

Rosco Bodine - 23-2-2008 at 23:36

Update: I took a look at the electrodeposition schemes for SnO2 and discovered that these are not anodic electrodepositions at all like one might suppose , but rather are cathodic depositions within a narrow reaction window
where the metal which would generally be plated out
is subjected to hydrolysis and instead plates as a hydrated oxide . But the general environment for that deposition would likely present the same sort of reducing condition
relatively speaking , with regards to a catalytic oxide already present on the electrode , as is the case for example when the electrode is immersed open circuit into a reducing medium
such as a stannous salt . So SnO2 electrodeposition is not promising as a scheme for deposition of SnO2 onto spinel .

That pretty much leaves the electroless sol-gel deposition
from a stannic precursor as the only promising methods ,
using the same stannic salts as have previously been identified as useful . The chlorides , alcoholates , nitrates
or mixtures , at some point of development in their inherent
hydrolysis schemes are the materials which may have usefulness for any dip and bake methods of coating .

I did run across a perhaps useful simplified method for producing stannic hydroxide from ordinary tin salt , stannous chloride . If stannous chloride solution is carefully just neutralized , barely to the point of turbidity or beginning precipitation , then addition of H2O2 will simultaneously hydrolyze and oxidize to produce a precipitate of stannic hydroxide upon heating. It is unknown for certain but believed that this would probably be the alpha stannic hydroxide . I do not have the preparation details , only a brief reference on page 6 of the attached file .

Also I found some old reference material concerning the preparation and nature of a 70/30 stannic nitrate / stannous nitrate solution , and posted the information and article in the
antimony and tin nitrate thread

The easily accessible references that are pertinent to this endeavor have been pretty much gotten at this juncture .
There's bound to be obscure references that were missed .
But I have found pretty much what I can find online to the point it is probably left to experiments to reveal more . So I am going to take a break and then catch up some backlogged other work before I can get back to this .

[Edited on 24-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: Pages from 265 Analytical_Chemistry.pdf (299kB)
This file has been downloaded 1576 times

FrankRizzo - 24-2-2008 at 02:05

Quote:
Here's an article on electrodepositing SnO2-Sb2O5 on Ti for use as an electrode in electrolysis, can anyone access this? This sounds like what we want to do, but what precursors etc do we need?
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0167577X0700317...

Here ya go:

Attachment: Preparation and properties of Ti-SnO2–Sb2O5 electrodes by electrodeposition.pdf (571kB)
This file has been downloaded 2407 times

tentacles - 24-2-2008 at 14:05

I'm planning on messing with those two oxidative soak anodes later today, they have a nice white coat of SnO2 (unbaked) on them, I will rinse them in 1.5M HCl as per the paper, and then soak them in .01M Bi 3+ 1.5M HCl solution, rather than the Sb 3+ solution.

Any reasons you guys can come up with why the Bi would not substitute directly for the Sb in this instance? The paper on Bi doping of SnO2 indicates a 9:1 SnO2:Bi2O3 is preferred.

Rosco Bodine - 24-2-2008 at 15:01

Theoretically it should work , but it could be an involved study to find the niche conditions where the deposition
proceeds at the proper rate and produces the adherent film desired .

There is likely a narrow range of pH , temperature , and
solution concentration for a hydrolysis to proceed in a way
which deposits an adherent film instead of precipitating in bulk . Basically all these electroless deposition methods have done is to identify that peculiar set of conditions
where the very gradual precipitation is favorable to forming a growing thickness film . It is something like
producing a heavy morning frost , instead of an overnight
snowfall .....if the analogy makes sense . This process
can occur for the higher valency salts usual hydrolysis mechanisms , which involves no oxidation as does the
oxidative soak , as the hydrolysis is proceeding upon
the soluble salt already at the higher oxidation state .

On the tin nitrate matter , something I have been thinking
about is that the tin nitrate actually has a surplus of oxygen required for the formation of SnO2 on baking ,
and I have wondered about a mixture of stannic nitrate with stannic chloride , as an oxygen balanced mixture ,
if this might be workable as a dip and bake coating .
The same strategy may be applicable to the nitrates and chlorides of other metals of interest .

Xenoid - 24-2-2008 at 16:49

Quote:
I'm planning on messing with those two oxidative soak anodes later today, they have a nice white coat of SnO2 (unbaked) on them, I will rinse them in 1.5M HCl as per the paper, and then soak them in .01M Bi 3+ 1.5M HCl solution, rather than the Sb 3+ solution.

@ tentacles

I thought you said in an earlier post that the Co3O4 layer had been stripped off, as happened with mine. Are you having success with the oxidative soak now, or was your earlier assessment incorrect. I also tried oxidative soak directly on Ti and still nothing seemed to happen, just a bit of precipitate.

My recent (half-arsed, admittedly) attempt at a doped SnO2 coating, I mentioned in a recent post was a failure. I used H2O2 oxidised SnCl2 and added some Bi (BTO). I put it on fairly thickly, directly on to etched Ti. In a perchlorate cell, I couldn't get any current until about 5 volts. To get 1.8 amps (50 mA/cm^2) I had to bump the voltage up to 8 or 9 volts. The current was continuously dropping so I guess it was passivating, and I didn't continue the experiment. I would imagine it had too high a resistance.
I guess these types of coatings vary by several orders of magnitude in resistance, unless the doping is spot on.The coating looked OK, it was like a thin white glaze on a teacup, but also clear in places. I did 5 dips each dried at 110 oC. and then baked at 470 oC. This was repeated 5 times. The coating was really hard, and nothing smudged off. There was no sign of any "free" yellow Bi2O3 forming, so it must all have gone into solid solution with the SnO2.

Hmmmm... I just read the electrodeposition paper a few posts above and THEIR thermally deposited anode only lasted for 10 mins. at 100 mA/cm^2. If these doped tin oxide coatings are so good, how come they don't last. Why are they being used as precursors for LDO? Even the cobalt spinel lasts much longer in a (per)chlorate environment especially if 20 coats were applied. Tin oxide is crap, judging from the results of that paper!

[Edited on 24-2-2008 by Xenoid]

[Edited on 24-2-2008 by Xenoid]

SnO2Anode.jpg - 4kB

dann2 - 24-2-2008 at 18:00

Quote:

Any reasons you guys can come up with why the Bi would not substitute directly for the Sb in this instance? The paper on Bi doping of SnO2 indicates a 9:1 SnO2:Bi2O3 is preferred.

Hello,

IMHO the biggest block to all this is wheather or not the dreaded TiO2 will form. It may have already formed or it may form soon after you put the anode into a test cell.
Perhaps we are a bit hung up on an exact ratio of dopant. The more articles/patents you read the more doping ratios you come up with. The doping ratios are all over the place.
Getting a minimum resistance for good conduction etc is not a wise way to look at the doping issue, as the bulk resistance of the coats no matter what the doping ratio, is small enough for our very thin coats to carry current without any voltage drop worth talking about. Stability of the coating at a particular ratio, I don't know about that either. As I said (with ATO anyways) the 'best' ratio varys all over the place from pat to pat and article to article. From 25% Sb to 3% (and less).

I don't like the sound of white coats. May be wrong though.
White coats on any of the stuff I did (shake and bake) were always no good.

Paper above is a very bad advertisment for shake and bake. They are a bit scarce on details how they deposited there coating too.

Regarding the Sb Oxide Sn Oxide system (phase diagram) it is not simple. See over in the refs section for a paper on the system. The same or similar suituation may be for BTO as well.

Dann2

[Edited on 25-2-2008 by dann2]

Rosco Bodine - 24-2-2008 at 18:32

@Xenoid , regarding the higher voltage requirement ...
That was why I urged keeping the spinel interface , the
conductivity , the anti-passivation of the Ti is simply unsurpassed by the other materials .

Comparing the example 2 of US3243385 with the old article about preparation of Dyers Stannic Nitrate ,
via cautious slow dissolution of Tin metal in ~30% HNO3
the process done at about room temperature , it appears
likely that the material gotten from the patent is probably more stannic nitrate than stannous nitrate , perhaps
the same 70/30 mixture of the two as is the dyers stannic nitrate .

But I think to remove all doubt about the +IV valency composition , and also to avoid the byproduct ammonium nitrate impurity , the best approach is to just make the
+IV alpha stannic oxyhydroxide , settle and rinse the
product by decantation , drain it as much as posssible
and then use the still moist precipitate to neutralize
cool HNO3 . I think that this material , perhaps in admixture with Bi(NO3)3 , perhaps along with some of
the higher valency chlorides of tin and bismuth , and
perhaps also with a bit of ferric chloride or ferric nitrate ,
could give a good dip and baked coating compatable with the spinel , applied onto it , or mixed with the cobalt nitrate and or manganese nitrate precursors .

Hehehe I am not discouraged at all about the stannic nitrate , on the contrary what I have found out makes it seem more plausible . It's not something that can be bottled and sold as a reagent because of its short shelf life . Simply because it is a reagent which must be freshly prepared for use has probably been an inconvenience
which has eliminated it from a lot of experimentation ,
but that doesn't mean that it isn't good for the thing we
are attempting to do . Actually there is an assortment of unstable preparations which have value but which require
being freshly prepared for use , and cannot be kept for
later use . IIRC many of the color test and biological test reagents are unstable , limited use or one use materials ,
but have no more convenient equivalent substitutes .

dann2 - 24-2-2008 at 18:54

Hello,

The 'Higher voltage' thing is misleading IMHO.
(There is no point in having a discussion about it, my post of 16-12-07 here

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9572&a...

gives my 2 cents worth) Lets the anode makers make up there own mind on the figures.
If you do a calculation of resistance as seen by our current leaving the anode (travelling through the thin layers) the bulk resistance will need to be in tens/hundreds of kilo ohms for (mega ohms for TiO2, it certainly makes a gigantic difference) a voltage worth talking about to appear accross the layer.

@Roscoe Where are you getting the information that Spinel is unsurpassed as an anti Ti passivating layer?
Is Cobalt Oxide an Oxidizer, a strong Oxidizer like LD?
I am not saying you are wrong. Perhaps the spinel is the best ever, better than anything before..........but I have me doughts.......

Dann2

Rosco Bodine - 24-2-2008 at 18:59

Quote:
Hello,

IMHO the biggest block to all this is wheather or not the dreaded TiO2 will form. It may have already formed or it may form soon after you put the anode into a test cell.

Ummm yeah , that's a passivated anode and a dead cell .
Quote:

Perhaps we are a bit hung up on an exact ratio of dopant. The more articles/patents you read the more doping ratios you come up with. The doping ratios are all over the place.

The ratios are all over the place when the method employed
uses precursors where the dopant material is volatile during baking , for example the chlorides , as an indeterminate portion of the dopant is lost , volatilized during the bake .
Quote:

Getting a minimum resistance for good conduction etc is not a wise way to look at the doping issue, as the bulk resistance of the coats no matter what the doping ratio, is small enough for our very thin coats to carry current without any voltage drop worth talking about. Stability of the coating at a particular ratio, I don't know about that either. As I said (with ATO anyways) the 'best' ratio varys all over the place from pat to pat and article to article. From 25% Sb to 3% (and less).
For the outer working coatings , the integrity of the film is not so important , and the bi-electrode
effect of islands of dopant as a separate phase may even
have added catalytic benefit . But for the oxygen barrier coatings , doping is absolutely *not* allowed to be all over the place , as when the dopant percentage exceeds saturation , the SnO2 lattice ruptures and you have a loosely
plugged hole there where the separate phase of dopant sits
there like a cinder in a ragged hole of discontinuous ruptured SnO2 layer surrounding that island of separated dopant with jumbled and broken plates of SnO2 . A frozen lake is what
is desired , rather than a boulder strewn cracked mud flat .
Quote:

I don't like the sound of white coats. May be wrong though.
White coats on any of the stuff I did (shake and bake) were always no good.

Paper above is a very bad advertisment for shake and bake. They are a bit scarce on details how they deposited there coating too.

Regarding the Sb Oxide Sn Oxide system (phase diagram) it is not simple. See over in the refs section for a paper on the system. The same or similar suituation may be for BTO as well.

Dann2

dann2 - 24-2-2008 at 19:43

Hello,

I agree that if we can get a 'frozen lake' as opposed to 'cracked mud' it will be much better.
But since we are using a valve metal the cracks will be 'looked after' by the valve metal. (TiO2 will form if O gets into the cracks).
If using an attackable substrate then the 'frozen lake' would be ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, 'craked mud' a disaster.............but we are using Ti.

Is not all our debate coming from the fact that SnCl4:5H20 is not OTC, therefor we are trying to use SnCl2 or 'homemade' SnCl4 (H2O2 + Stannous) (or something else that is 'gettable').
If SnCl4 were easily available we would all be quite happy with the 'cracked mud'.....I presume?
Lots and lots of articles etc use the 'cracked mud' as anodes both bare and with overcoats.
I must conceed without a doubt that Sol-Gel, and others have been shown to work for ANODES :D. I will have to withdraw the shaking head from way back.:(

For LD anode on Ti the function of the SnO2 is not to seal the substrate from electrolyte, it is to seal the Ti from the LD so that the LD does not Oxidize the Ti. (more like saving the anode from itself!!) If it succeeds in doing this in places only that will be OK, so long as there is enough of SnO2 links to the LD to carry the current. Let the other places on the Ti form a coating of TiO2 (to hell with them) .
Going off topic......

Perhaps it would be more wise to try making SnCl4:5H20 as per the S. C. Whack book (posted by Roscoe) and going the old tried and (successful dare I say) coldron stirring drones route of shake and bake.
The H202 + Stannous Chloride way does not (alas) seem to work.
Dann2

Xenoid - 24-2-2008 at 19:55

@ Rosco

I'm getting very confused with all this ... :(

For example, in the case of Hubert I put on 10 coats of MnO2. Hubert did not directly die from "passivation", he died because the MnO2 (and the Co3O4) coating basically physically wore away over a period of 6 weeks or so. In fact when I removed the anode, the lower half still had a black coating, because it was thicker here due to the "dip solution" running down the hanging anode during pyrolysis.

If I had put a DTO layer between the Co3O4 and the MnO2 the anode would have lasted for 10 minutes longer .... :o according to the results in the paper above!

If I had simply put on 5 dip coats of MnO2 (with drying at 100 oC.) then baking at say 400 oC. and repeated this 10 times ( for a total of 50 coats) the anode would have lasted for at least 30 weeks as it is a simple physical wear effect. This coating scheme is only slightly more arduous than what I did initially.

In fact 50 coats of Co3O4 (may be with Ni or Zn) may last just as long (remember my 4 coat anode lasted for a couple of weeks in chlorate).

Basically, I don't see the point of a DTO layer if the "working" coating is going to PHYSICALLY wear away!

tentacles - 24-2-2008 at 20:51

xenoid: The paper above used electrolysis of H2SO4 to determine anode durability, who knows how that compares to anodic life in a perchlorate cell?

More or less, I just wanted to try this on these presumed failures. If it doesn't work, no big loss. It does not *appear* to be TiO2 - as I said, there is still residual Co in areas of the substrate, and this white powdery coating evenly covers everything. I will take a picture....

Here's a couple pics of the best example:
http://www.apcforum.net/files/DSCN7225.JPG
http://www.apcforum.net/files/DSCN7224.JPG

[Edited on 24-2-2008 by tentacles]

hashashan - 24-2-2008 at 20:55

Why is it going to wear away? LD doesnt wear away that easily

Rosco Bodine - 24-2-2008 at 21:07

Quote:
Hello,

I agree that if we can get a 'frozen lake' as opposed to 'cracked mud' it will be much better.
But since we are using a valve metal the cracks will be 'looked after' by the valve metal. (TiO2 will form if O gets into the cracks).
If using an attackable substrate then the 'frozen lake' would be ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, 'craked mud' a disaster.............but we are using Ti.

It won't matter when nascent oxygen permeation through
a ruptured SnO2 lattice is occuring whether you have cracks along with the open sieve everywhere else , as one problem goes along with the other and both are fatal to the anode , it's just a race between the two effects to see which passivates the entire substrate first , while they are partners in crime . The solids content above 8% in a liquid carrier can result in a too thick film for sintering without cracking , no matter what ratio of dopant is present , but
too much dopant will do the deed all by itself .

Quote:

Is not all our debate coming from the fact that SnCl4:5H20 is not OTC, therefor we are trying to use SnCl2 or 'homemade' SnCl4 (H2O2 + Stannous) (or something else that is 'gettable').
If SnCl4 were easily available we would all be quite happy with the 'cracked mud'.....I presume?

Actually SnCl4 , or SnCl4-5H2O , or solutions thereof are perfectly OTC for me since I have the equipment to make it .
So the origin for reagents is a non-sequitur . It is like
saying that when you get your Vitamin C from an orange
it is the good stuff , but if it is made in a laboratory as a synthetic , that somehow it must be different . I have the laboratory reagents , and the base metals , and use whichever is most convenient or sometimes which is most economical . Sometimes I make reagents myself just to be certain what I have , or to avoid being bent over on something that is overpriced to an unbearble extent by suppliers who seem to believe there is no alternative source .
Quote:

Lots and lots of articles etc use the 'cracked mud' as anodes both bare and with overcoats.
I must conceed without a doubt that Sol-Gel, and others have been shown to work for ANODES :D. I will have to withdraw the shaking head from way back.:(

Yeah , you didn't realize it , but when you reflux a chloride
with an alcohol , you are using a sol-gel technique of a sort , just as is the nature of all these hydrolyzable salts inherently
a sol-gel process , even the spray pyrolysis methods ....it just happens quick with that one , whereas these other schemes drag it out longer the reactions that are occuring .
But why use a method that is imprecise and variable , if
a similar method having better predicatbility is as easy or even easier ?
Quote:

For LD anode on Ti the function of the SnO2 is not to seal the substrate from electrolyte, it is to seal the Ti from the LD so that the LD does not Oxidize the Ti. (more like saving the anode from itself!!) If it succeeds in doing this in places only that will be OK, so long as there is enough of SnO2 links to the LD to carry the current. Let the other places on the Ti form a coating of TiO2 (to hell with them) .

The SnO2 is an oxygen barrier for the conductive interface ,
wherever the oxygen may come from . Dopants are used
to do two things , make the SnO2 conductive , and to fill
the lattice with something which will act as a barrier to
migration of atomic oxygen through that SnO2 lattice to
the interface . Bismuth evidently works best , Cobalt and
Iron are about next best , and Antimony is about fourth down the list in effectiveness as that oxygen barrier :D
Know you gotta love hearing that :P
Quote:

Going off topic......

Perhaps it would be more wise to try making SnCl4:5H20 as per the S. C. Whack book (posted by Roscoe) and going the old tried and (successful dare I say) coldron stirring drones route of shake and bake.
The H202 + Stannous Chloride way does not (alas) seem to work.
Dann2

Oh the SnCl4-5H2O works true enough if you get your
alcoholate derivative pH just right , and it would work even better using Co doping than Sb doping , if you simply must
use SnCl4 like there is something holy about it , even though there isn't . SnCl4 is just one of the *two* conveniently soluble stannic salts from which we may choose , and it's
awkward use and variable results are well described , since it was the most convenient reagent for researchers to use .
But the nitrate is the other soluble reagent which may be useful , as the patents acknowledged , and which from a theoretical standpoint is a "cleaner" and higher precursor with respect to the reactions through which it must pass in depositing the desired SnO2 . There is nothing illogical about
trying an alternative or alternatives which may shorten the work of building coatings thickness via chemical reactions
and physical chemistry which is more favorable to the desired end result . Some of the things I have proposed
may seem ridiculous to you , but are never the less supported by theory and also by individual references whose
pertinence I have recognized is knit together towards getting
the alternate scheme to work . The analogy between the
Pytlewski polymer and subsequent coating with colloidal silica
is good basis for my hypothesis that sol-gel SnO2 will very probably likewise adhere , has a high probability of being true .....even though I challenge you to find that stated in any textbook or patent , I'll put fifty dollars US on it right now . You see it can be a safe bet because colloidal SnO2
and colloidal SiO2 are remarkably similar in their chemical and physical properties . Therefore it is no far reach to
hypothesize that alternating coats of things which are by nature film formers , and attractive to each other by their
differing electrostatic charges , would stick like hell to each other in adjacent layers , and build thickness quickly of
dense high quality films . What seems to square with theory
and what jumps off the pages in that regard as pertinent
is not something I can pass over as insignificant or irrelevant . It may seem like I have gone off on a tangent ,
because you don't connect the dots I am seeing in these
references I have been sleuthing . And you seem to have some preconceptions about the chemistry involved , or
maybe about chemistry in general .....which causes you
to disregard any justifications I may give about dopants
or whatever other detail .....so beyond that I don't know what else to say .

How about a song from an old accordion player ?
It all started the first time I snatched up a piano
and just squeezed it :D Noooo ??? How about
some gospel music ? Okay , time for a diva break :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWk8TwaqXBI&feature=relat...

@Xenoid , remember the "modifier oxides" which were mentioned being added to the working coatings ?
SnO2 was one of those and serves as a binder and hardener
and toughener for the working coatings .

Xenoid - 24-2-2008 at 21:27

Quote:
Originally posted by hashashan
Why is it going to wear away? LD doesnt wear away that easily

Well I'm not referring to lead dioxide, I don't have any experience with it.

I am referring to Co3O4 and MnO2. The MnO2 anode I made, essentially died from the coating being physically and/or chemically worn away from the anode. The evidence for this was the MnO floating around in the cell and the appearance of the anode when I stopped the cell. The lifetime of the anode in a chlorate cell (at least) is proportional to the coat thickness. In fact it may be possible to put on a really thick electrolytic coating of MnO2 over Co3O4 and baking at 400 oC. (as in the Beer - Diamond Shamrock Patent US4444642)

Rosco Bodine - 25-2-2008 at 00:52

@Xenoid

Go back and look at US4072586 page 3 column 3 line 56 .

Notice what's the first thermically decomposable compound
listed as an up to 20% addition to the Mn(NO3)2 .

Haven't you wondered why that is the *only* tin compound listed ,
instead of the usual list of assorted tin compounds ?

Since there is only one choice listed , maybe the others
don't work . And for what reason would the one which
doesn't work be the only one example listed of what
does work ? Hmmmm ? :D

It looks to me like they are saying something interesting there without elaborating on it .

Also if you look at example 6 , test anodes 4 and 5 which
included some (2%) cobalt doping of the manganese dioxide
had *triple* the endurance of the manganese dioxide alone .
So it is evident that modifying the MnO2 can toughen it significantly .
And the patent makes it clear that the MnO2
alone won't hold up which is precisely why the modifiers
were used and tested . If the MnO2 alone was good enough
then they wouldn't have bothered trying to improve it , as
they successfully were able to do .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKfDB9Osa88

Essentially the tin nitrate would serve the same purpose
as the silicon ethylate and should bring down the wear rate
to nil for the MnO2 . The 2% Co might be included , but
the Bi would probably be better substituted or possibly in addition with the Co . And all of this over a sealed spinel interface should give you a bona fide perchlorate anode
baked system . If the chemistry of the coatings is correct
and the film integrity good on the near substrate sealing layers , then having a low wear rate on the working coatings
won't take so many coats , probably a dozen or less from
the spinel interface to completion of the anode , not twenty or thirty .

[Edited on 25-2-2008 by Rosco Bodine]

dann2 - 25-2-2008 at 16:05

Hello,

@Xenoid
I never seen that patent before. It effectively says that you can coat MMO with Lead Dioxide (or Mn Oxide).
Your pool chlorinator or other MMO's (purchased) as a LD substrate or MnO2 substrate.

Regarding coating wearing away as opposed to the electrolyte 'getting in between' the Ti and the active coating and causing TiO2 to form:
My ATO anode wore away (17 days in a Perchlorate cell). It was 'cracked mud' morphology. Cracked mud is OK.
One final 2 cents about smooth glassy coatings of Tin Oxide (if they are achievable). Your next coat (whatever that may be) may not stick so good to a glassy smooth coat. It may be that you will be far better off with a craked mud type coat. I would imagine this to be true with electroplated coating anyways. Baked coats, perhaps not.

If you want a thick coat of Mn Oxide the handiest way is to electroplate it on and then bake. This was done in a patent but I cannot remember which one at this point in time.

I started to coat a Ti substrate with a coating of Cobalt Oxide on it with Alpha LD (Lead Tartrate bath).
BTW, my Cobalt Oxide coatings are jet black, other peoples seem to be blue?

I posted some Perchlorate cell chemisty stuff over in the reference section if anyone is interested.

Ebonex anyone??????????????????????

Dann2

chloric1 - 25-2-2008 at 17:08

My cobalt oxide also had a bluish hue. When I did nickel over cobalt it became jet black.

Xenoid - 25-2-2008 at 18:07

Quote:
Hello,

@Xenoid
I never seen that patent before. It effectively says that you can coat MMO with Lead Dioxide (or Mn Oxide).
Your pool chlorinator or other MMO's (purchased) as a LD substrate or MnO2 substrate.

Yeah, I found that one while looking for something else, I just assumed it would have been posted in one of the threads, but I never checked. Yes, you are correct, plating LDO or even MnO2 on to one of my chlorinator anodes is exactly what I was thinking of doing! When I'll get around to it, I don't know! The LDO should adhere to the roughish MMO surface and the mesh structure of the anodes quite well!

Quote:

If you want a thick coat of Mn Oxide the handiest way is to electroplate it on and then bake. This was done in a patent but I cannot remember which one at this point in time.

'Struth!... dann2 - your memory is going, it's in the above mentioned Patent - US4444642 ... :D

Rosco Bodine - 25-2-2008 at 19:18

Undoped MnO2 is a catalytic oxygen selective anode ,
which isn't the right material for chlorate or perchlorate .

Pages:  1  2    4