HCl
DCM
Mercury Chloride
Sodium Nitrite
Thio urea
AlCl3

And from a less 'labby' related supplier;

PTC

I hate ordering from suppliers, it seems to take all the fun out of it. It's all about the total synthesis and inventiveness for me; turning everyday things into something amazing. I do LOVE the colors the guys interested in dyes come out with on here, they're beautiful.

[Edited on 1-5-2010 by peach]

peach - 1-5-2010 at 10:29

I'm also genuinely interested in the potential of lysergides to alleviate headaches. I get them on such a regular basis that I can predict the hours when they'll turn up. I've tried everything to get rid of them, normal pain killers and the special ibuprofen, codeine, paracetamol power trio, changing the lighting in my house to SAD bulbs, drinking more water, less water, cutting anything artificial out of my diet, cutting caffeine, sugar and carbohydrates out and all kinds of stuff, like changing my diet altogether or exercising until I've thrown up from exhaustion and overheating. Nothing competes with lysergides for getting rid of the annoying bastards.

[Edited on 1-5-2010 by peach]

Mildronate - 9-5-2010 at 02:42

My new bromine, litlle bit of sulfuric, AlCl3 and potasium bromide

[Edited on 9-5-2010 by Mildronate]

[Edited on 9-5-2010 by Mildronate]

majortom - 9-5-2010 at 07:57

Wow, thionyl chloride and sodium metal? Suspicious....

Either way very usefull chemicals for organic synth in general, its too bad they are so hard to get now.

Globey - 24-5-2010 at 08:28

Quote: Originally posted by Kaifas  
Sodium salts dissolves much better than potassium salts so it is reason to use both potassium and sodium. I use oxidizers to do some Copper perclorate (binds strongly to nitrogen bases) and copper(III) compounds and making different copper complexes . Copper(I)cyanade goes to Gillman reagents. Copper(II)chloride is starting material to do Glacer couplings. Copper powder goes to Ullman coupling reactions.

Sodium nitrate is exellent for mild nitration systems because of good solubility.

It is difficult to byu chemicals here too.

Wow, I guess I was taught wrong. I ALWAYS thought the potassium salts were more expensive, and more desirable and more expensive than the sodium salts. Plus in many instances, the potassium salts are not deliquescent (as the sodium salts are). WOW, guess I learned the wrong way? How could that be? Like saltpeter (KNO3) always has seemed by far more valuable than NaNO3 (Chile Saltpeter) to me. Please someone, I'm pretty sure I am correct here...can anyone jump to my defense?

woelen - 24-5-2010 at 10:56

It all depends on intended use. If you want a nitrate as an oxidizer in fireworks, then it is important to have a non-hygroscopic salt. Potassium nitrate is good for that. If you want some reaction with nitrate in aqueous solution at high concentration, then you want a highly soluble salt. For this purpose, sodium nitrate is more suitable.

The difference is much more pronounced with sodium perchlorate and potassium perchlorate. Sodium perchlorate is highly soluble, but also extremely hygroscopic (it even is deliquescent). Potassium perchlorate on the other hand is a perfectly dry non-hygroscopic solid, but it also is hardly soluble in cold water. So, making other perchlorate salts from potassium perchlorate hardly is possible.

In general one can state that potassium salts are somewhat more expensive (potassium is more valuable than sodium), but this only is true when the counterion is not very special and preparation of both the sodium and potassium salt has comparable complexity. For sodium nitrate and potassium nitrate this is the case. However, for potassium perchlorate and sodium perchlorate this is quite different. It is hard to obtain sodium perchlorate at high purity due to its high solubility and bad crystallizing properties, while it is very easy to purify potassium perchlorate. Hence, pure potassium perchlorate is less expensive than pure sodium perchlorate.

unionised - 24-5-2010 at 12:11

Not strictly an order but I did get our purchasing people to find a supplier
Nonanitro
m terphenyl.
An odd compound with a pretty structure- looks like three trinitrobenzenes stuck together
Didn't order it; the customer for the analysis changed their mind when they saw the lead-time to import it.

[Edited on 24-5-10 by unionised]

mr.crow - 25-5-2010 at 06:51

Hmmm the whole sodium/potassium thing is pretty interesting. I was helping out with some science demos at the University and all we could find were sodium salts. It also produces the ugly orange flames instead of lovely purple.

Speaking of which I made some KNO3 out of a cold pack and no-salt, thats sort of a acquisition. I already have lab grade and didn't want to waste it.

Magpie - 25-5-2010 at 07:23

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
Hmmm the whole sodium/potassium thing is pretty interesting.

Yes. Can anyone tell me why soap bars are made using NaOH whereas liquid handsoap is made using KOH?

hissingnoise - 25-5-2010 at 07:33

NaOH makes solid soap and KOH makes a more liquid soap but why those bases react differently with the acids used in soap is another question. . .

unionised - 25-5-2010 at 12:01

OK, I realise that my post wasn't strictly an order, but WTF does liquid soap have to do with the topic?

Magpie - 25-5-2010 at 14:18

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
OK, I realise that my post wasn't strictly an order, but WTF does liquid soap have to do with the topic?

I don't like tangents either. My bad. :(

Chainhit222 - 27-5-2010 at 15:05

I love tangents and normal lines!

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8913/glassorder.jpg
I used simplegpt,crowngpt,cashrocketgpt and some other gpt website to pay for it :P

and that's a four necked flask from expediglass.com, its hard to see one of the necks. It seems to be of a high quality.

[Edited on 27-5-2010 by Chainhit222]

alibabaregis - 30-5-2010 at 14:27

Red Phosphorus 500g
Metal Lithium 10g
Metal Calcium 2g

[Edited on 30-5-2010 by alibabaregis]

JohnWW - 30-5-2010 at 15:09

Where did you buy all that red P, Alibabaregis? You should be able to do a large number of interesting organic reactions with it.

alibabaregis - 30-5-2010 at 15:20

In a chemical supply store. Approx. Eur 100,00. In my country red P sale is not forbidden, only controlled by Federal Police. They do not care for small quantities.

Skyjumper - 31-5-2010 at 18:26

Threw in some potassium hydroxide (500grams)
some more 500ml 30% H2O2
Some Urea
and KNO3.

The lab I work from has about 4 storage cabinets filled with everything imaginable (except what I need...)

Why someone felt the need to order at least 10kg of NaOH is beyond me. (I work and play in a highschool setting (: )

Sandmeyer - 3-6-2010 at 13:57

Quote: Originally posted by Mossydie  
I finally got round to ordering some distilled water. So much cheaper and easier than making it for myself.

No need to do either, you can get it at your local petrol station...

majortom - 6-6-2010 at 16:03

Quote: Originally posted by Globey  
Sodium salts dissolves much better than potassium salts so it is reason to use both potassium and sodium. I use oxidizers to do some Copper perclorate (binds strongly to nitrogen bases) and copper(III) compounds and making different copper complexes . Copper(I)cyanade goes to Gillman reagents. Copper(II)chloride is starting material to do Glacer couplings. Copper powder goes to Ullman coupling reactions.

Sodium nitrate is exellent for mild nitration systems because of good solubility.

It is difficult to byu chemicals here too.

Wow, I guess I was taught wrong. I ALWAYS thought the potassium salts were more expensive, and more desirable and more expensive than the sodium salts. Plus in many instances, the potassium salts are not deliquescent (as the sodium salts are). WOW, guess I learned the wrong way? How could that be? Like saltpeter (KNO3) always has seemed by far more valuable than NaNO3 (Chile Saltpeter) to me. Please someone, I'm pretty sure I am correct here...can anyone jump to my defense?

Sorry, it is what you can get it in, if the industry uses K for some reason I use K becasue it is all I can get. With all this meth craziness going on I make my own iodine from cheap pottaium iodide off of ebay and some HCL, then you mix it with a bit of H2O2 and out pops your iodine in crystaline powder.

I buy calcium hypochlorite as it is cheaper than sodium hypochlorite as I can get it from pool suppliers and it has a higher hypochlorite to weight ratio.

It all depends but sometimes chemicals are produced in K salt form just because that is the way it has always been done in industry.

mnick12 - 7-6-2010 at 12:12

My latest order was only one thing, but it is one very cool thing.
250gr of 5-aminotetrazole monohydrate.
And some toluene from the hardware store, but that is not an order.

mewrox99 - 7-6-2010 at 23:36

Nothing special.

Just some Barium Nitrate and Potassium Permanganate

mr.crow - 8-6-2010 at 16:20

I found a 3kg container of NaOH at a hardware store. You should move to Canada :)

mewrox99 - 9-6-2010 at 18:14

Ordered 500g of Sodium Acetate for only $4. Thats cheaper than making it from baking soda and vinegar!

mnick12 - 16-6-2010 at 17:02

My last order was:
benzene 500ml
DCM 500ml
KBr 500gr
DMF 250ml
phthalic anhydride 500gr
ammonium hydroxide 30%-500ml

Magpie - 16-6-2010 at 18:55

Quote: Originally posted by mnick12  
My last order was:
benzene 500ml
DCM 500ml
KBr 500gr
DMF 250ml
phthalic anhydride 500gr
ammonium hydroxide 30%-500ml

When you receive your phthalic anhydride please determine its melting point. I've received this from two different suppliers getting phthalic acid instead.

redox - 26-3-2011 at 13:30

My most recent order was:

1 lb. sodium benzoate
1 lb. urea
5x yellow 14/20 keck clamps
1 ft. long thermometer
36 inch range hood (for fume hood building)
250 grms. sodium thiosulfate
250 grms. hydroquinone
1 oz. silicone oil
1x west condenser

dann2 - 26-3-2011 at 13:46

250ml Stannic Chloride (Anhydrous) in a vial.
An extremely exciting order (I think you will all agree) :P

Lambda-Eyde - 26-3-2011 at 14:08

Gotta love Lab-Scan: Really cheap AR grade products compared to Acros, Carl Roth and J.T. Baker.

Bot0nist - 26-3-2011 at 14:40

From skylighter.com
1 lb CuO
1 lb Fe<sub>3</sub>O<sub>4</sub>
1 lb KClO<sub>3</sub>
1 lb KClO<sub>4</sub>
1 lb NH<sub>4</sub>Cl

From APS.com
2 lbs Al (3-5 micron, flake, coated)
25g Magnesium ribbon

From Dudadiesel.com
1 liter H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> (98% w/ COA)
2 lbs NaHO (99.5% food grade)

Should be here in a week. Can't wait for some exothermic reductions.:D

hello

super - 14-5-2011 at 12:25

Mine is here - 13 bottles of ACS grade chemicals. What is yours?

hello,
whats the moq for pure chlorophorm? but also important is paypal payment. do you accept? pls mailing me to email adress supatommy1804@yahoo.de

where are you from? duty free in EU would be good.
regards Thomas

mr.crow - 14-5-2011 at 13:26

Got a bunch of goodies in the mail over the past little while

Mossy tin
Mossy zinc
Iron filings
Magnesium turnings
K dichromate
K thiocyanate
KBr
NaCl (haha boring)

And from ebay 5g of palladium acetate, what a steal

#maverick# - 14-5-2011 at 14:00

1 ea. Potassium Hydroxide
1 ea. Potassium Permanganate
1 ea. Chromium Oxide
1 ea. Copper Chloride
1 ea. Calcium Carbonate
1 ea. Copper Sulfate
1 ea. Lithium Carbonate
1 ea. Copper Oxide (black)
1 ea. Aluminum ( Granular )
1 ea. Sodium Hydroxide
1 ea. Sodium Bisulfate
1 ea. Sulfur

i also have aquired 1 L OF 18 M H2SO4
1 LB of rooto 100% NaOH
500 mL 70% HNO3
Potassium Nitrate
and 5g Na for my element collection

from where do you guys buy organic compounds i cant seem to find a reliable vendor ive been looking for some Bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate for a while now

redox - 14-5-2011 at 17:24

Quote: Originally posted by #maverick#  

from where do you guys buy organic compounds i cant seem to find a reliable vendor ive been looking for some Bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate for a while now

The Bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate can be leached from flexible PVC products (vinyl gloves, tubing, shower curtains)

[Edited on 15-5-2011 by redox]

#maverick# - 14-5-2011 at 18:16

O ya?? For real. What solvent, ethanOl
Quote: Originally posted by redox  
Quote: Originally posted by #maverick#  

The Bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate can be leached from flexible PVC products (vinyl gloves, tubing, shower curtains)

[Edited on 15-5-2011 by redox]

devongrrl - 15-5-2011 at 11:19

Quote:

Lambda-Eyde said: Gotta love Lab-Scan: Really cheap AR grade products

Looking at their website it seems they have been taken over by a Polish company. I wonder if orders would come direct from Poland or from Ireland as importing chems from Europe is always a concern to me ?

[Edited on 15-5-2011 by devongrrl]

Lambda-Eyde - 15-5-2011 at 12:32

I don't know. I get them from a local supplier with the chemicals in stock. They also supply chemicals from Acros, Alfa and Carl Roth. That + they are world class when it comes to producing reference standards for GC. ;)

woelen - 15-5-2011 at 22:37

Some recent interesting purchases I made (all reagent grade) besides other ones in which I restocked some common materials:

200g K2TeO3
100g CeCl3
250g K3Co(CN)6
1g OsO4
100g ultrafine Se powder
50g GeO2

Mailinmypocket - 24-5-2011 at 16:44

Nothing exciting in my last order... but nonetheless happy to find a Canadian company that sells to individuals!

-KBrO3 -100g ACS
-H2SO4 -2.5L ACS

mewrox99 - 25-5-2011 at 02:41

Potassium Bromate. Nice :)

My last order was 50g Ascorbic Acid

woelen - 25-5-2011 at 04:50

Mewrox99, KBrO3 is not that special. It is, together with KIO3, the easiest halate to be made. I made a lot of this stuff by electrolysis of KBr. It is easier to make this, than making KClO3, because graphite rods can be used without too much problem, while making KClO3 gives a lot of crap with carbon rods.

Rogeryermaw - 25-5-2011 at 05:09

my last order was POCl3 10 grams.

my last order that was a pleasant experience was:

1 metahnol 16 oz
2 benzene 16 oz
3 chloroform 16 oz
4 calcium chloride 16 oz
5 sodium hydroxide 16 oz
6 potassium hydroxide 16 oz
7 hydrochloric acid 36% 16 oz
8 sodium metal 4 oz
9 potassium bromide 4 oz
10 asst beakers and flasks
11 chromatography column

from elemental scientific

Jor - 25-5-2011 at 06:35

Those are nice chems! Especially the POCl3, shame is such a small amount.

I haven't bought anything special lately. This is because I have plenty of chems and I am spending mostly on glasware (about 150 EUR the last 2 months and a lab vacuum pump (resistant to all gasses) for 150 EUR. The latest special chems I obtained were 75 gram of NH4ReO4, 10mL (CF3CO)2O and 1 g 2,2-biquinoline.
I am soon to recieve 500mL of hexanes, 500mL of toluene, 1 L of ether (the 400mL I started with more than 2 years ago is empty) and 250g of Mg turnings for Grignard.

[Edited on 25-5-2011 by Jor]

mr.crow - 25-5-2011 at 10:35

Quote: Originally posted by Rogeryermaw  

From those sciencelab dickheads right? Let us know if you actually get it and what quality it is

Rogeryermaw - 25-5-2011 at 11:44

From those sciencelab dickheads right? Let us know if you actually get it and what quality it is

yeah that one came from sciencelab.com. took forever. it is assayed at 95% and i tested it as such:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=16365#...

Mailinmypocket - 25-5-2011 at 15:42

Quote: Originally posted by mewrox99  

Yeah... It was nice alright... nice on damaging my wallet! Nonetheless, despite me having a few kilos of KBr, I dont have any reliable power source to do the electrolysis :(

On a sidenote: Why is it so incredibly difficult to find Methyl Ethyl Ketone in Canada? I seem to be able to find tons of hardware stores in the US that have it, but locally the best I can find are mixed solvent products containing,in part, MEK as well as methylene chloride, toluene, xylene and the oh so famous and vague "Petroleum distillates". Oh well...

[Edited on 25-5-2011 by Mailinmypocket]

smaerd - 25-5-2011 at 17:39

Rogeryermaw how long did it take for elemental scientific to ship to you? It's taken them like a month and they still haven't shipped my order.

bob800 - 25-5-2011 at 18:01

Quote: Originally posted by smaerd  
Rogeryermaw how long did it take for elemental scientific to ship to you? It's taken them like a month and they still haven't shipped my order.

The same thing happened to me. Just threaten to cancel your order and they'll ship it in the next few days!

Rogeryermaw - 25-5-2011 at 18:13

easy on elemental fellas. they will ship. it sometimes takes a while. the longest it ever took for me to get an order from them was like 6 weeks and that was because i had them special order some activated alumina for me which is an item they don't stock. i have done business with them 7 or 8 times and i have always gotten everything i ordered and the items are correct. are they fast? no. will they honor your order? yes. the good thing about them is that they will not charge your card until the items are ready to ship. so make sure that you have the proper funds allotted on your card.

also don't be afraid to give them a call. they will be straight about what is going on.

[Edited on 26-5-2011 by Rogeryermaw]

Neil - 25-5-2011 at 19:17

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
Quote: Originally posted by mewrox99  

Yeah... It was nice alright... nice on damaging my wallet! Nonetheless, despite me having a few kilos of KBr, I dont have any reliable power source to do the electrolysis :(

On a sidenote: Why is it so incredibly difficult to find Methyl Ethyl Ketone in Canada? I seem to be able to find tons of hardware stores in the US that have it, but locally the best I can find are mixed solvent products containing,in part, MEK as well as methylene chloride, toluene, xylene and the oh so famous and vague "Petroleum distillates". Oh well...

[Edited on 25-5-2011 by Mailinmypocket]

It's on the precursor list and it's flammable and toxic. I've been looking for a specific reason why it's not available but haven't found one.

Maybe it's a combination of reasons that make it not worth the effort to stock? I'm not so into finding MEK as I'd love a source of Xylene, but it's another chemical that our hardware stores don't stock except in mixtures.

smaerd - 25-5-2011 at 21:49

roger I understand that completely, besides patience is not a problem for me. :) Just wanted to make sure my experience wasn't out of the ordinary. All I ordered was ionic compounds anyways. thanks for the input! Hell I respect anyone willing to do what they do.

LanthanumK - 27-6-2011 at 13:31

Iridium (just a spark plug)
Platinum (just a boring spark plug with pure platinum wire)

Mixell - 27-6-2011 at 16:09

My recent purchases:

A lot of bottles, erlenmeyer's, beakers and stirring rods (around 50 items in total).
1kg of :
H2C2O4*2h2o.
NH4Cl.
K2CO3.
2* NaOH.
KOH.
1 liter of:
concentrated NH3(aq).
2*acetone.
Formic acid.
Acetic acid.
Hydrochloric acid.

All that cost around 150$.

50g of the following:
K3Fe(CN)6.
K4Fe(CN)6*3H2O.
KBr.
(NH4)6Mo7O24*4H2O.
KSCN.
CoCl2*6H2O.
KI.
I2.
methylene blue*3H2O (10g)
Phenolphthalein (30g).
Ferroin indicator (1g).

That cost about 50$.

Additional stuff:
200g Chromium.
200g nickel.
100g tungsten.
1 pound graphite powder.
200g SrCO3
200g Na3AlF6.
100g titanium powder.
1 pound aluminium powder.

That cost about 85$.

Hopefully more metals incoming soon, like bismuth, tin, cadmium, tantalum and zinc.

barley81 - 27-6-2011 at 18:26

19/22 distillation set cheap from Craigslist:
125mL sep funnel
5 RBF's from 500mL to 50mL
Various adapters, still head, Claisen adapter, vacuum takeoff
1 Liebig and 1 West condenser

Many beakers of various sizes, 1L to 30mL
Filter flask w/buchner funnel
Many flasks from 25mL to 500mL, 2 really nice 125mL 24/40 erlenmeyers
100mL volumetric flask
4 graduated cylinders ranging from 5mL to 100mL

7x7" Fisher thermix magnetic stirring hotplate

(194$ for above)

Chemicals purchased very recently:
4 oz of:
Cobalt carbonate
Nickel sulfate
Vanadium pentoxide

8 oz of:
Manganese dioxide
Manganese carbonate
Potassium dichromate
Strontium carbonate

1lb of:
Barium carbonate
Sodium nitrate
Potassium carbonate

(Pottery supply, 38$ w/o shipping)

1 quart of MEK
4lb NaOH
2lb KOH
300mL conc. HNO3
(30$ shipped)

1L 95.6% pure ethanol from my parents :D

More to come with my first order from Elemental Scientific.

EDIT: The supplier ran out of potassium dichromate...

[Edited on 28-6-2011 by barley81]

Jor - 28-6-2011 at 02:55

194$ for that glassware + hotplate/stirrer is amazing!

Mailinmypocket - 28-6-2011 at 05:10

Wasn't an order... But bought 1L food grade 35% H2O2 for 21.95 at a health food store and 500g KOH flakes from their "make your own soap" section for 9.99, I'm really happy about the h2o2 though... Been looking for that for a while now! :D

barley81 - 28-6-2011 at 05:30

Quote: Originally posted by Jor  
194$ for that glassware + hotplate/stirrer is amazing!

Yeah, it was a steal! I got the glassware from Dr.Bob (Research Triangle Books). It was a great deal (most items were Pyrex/Kimax) and he threw in some extra stuff (ton of pipets, some flasks and beakers). Everything was underpriced.

The hotplate was bought on ebay as/is (an auction). The stirrer function was not working, but the motor just needed some loosening up. It works fine now. It can boil water, but I'm not sure about the exact temperature it reaches.

The 19/22 distillation set is very dirty and I don't think the guy who sold it knew how much it was worth. Many of the items were advertised incorrectly (he called the adapters "crazy shaped tubes" and the sep funnel a "funnel beaker" :D). I was really lucky to find it.

Wasn't an order... But bought 1L food grade 35% H2O2 for 21.95 at a health food store and 500g KOH flakes from their "make your own soap" section for 9.99, I'm really happy about the h2o2 though... Been looking for that for a while now! :D

That's great that you could find those locally! Was it a chain store?

Jor - 28-6-2011 at 06:06

I am in a few weeks to recieve the following:

-250mL thionyl chloride (FINALLY! :) )
-100mL pyridine
-25g arsenic trioxide

Mailinmypocket - 28-6-2011 at 07:29

Wasn't an order... But bought 1L food grade 35% H2O2 for 21.95 at a health food store and 500g KOH flakes from their "make your own soap" section for 9.99, I'm really happy about the h2o2 though... Been looking for that for a while now! :D[/rquote]
That's great that you could find those locally! Was it a chain store?

Yeah I was quite amazed to find these! Its at a local store called Botanix, they are a brand new store that just opened two weeks ago. I dont think they are a chain though - They call it "Super Oxygen".

@Jor: Nice order! Wish I could get some pyridine :(

superoxygen.jpg - 14kB

[Edited on 28-6-2011 by Mailinmypocket]

Arthur Dent - 28-6-2011 at 08:34

Recent purchases include 500 g of Manganese Carbonate, 500 g of Strontium Carbonate and 100 g of Cobalt Carbonate, from a Ottawa-based pottery store. I also replenished my stock of 32% HCl with two 1 liter bottles (I prefer single 1l bottles to the big, bulky 2.5l bottles even if they're less expensive per ml).

I also got myself a 1l bottle of the cheap red Sulphuric Acid drain opener that I use it only for cleaning glassware, since I have a glass 2.5l bottle of reagent-grade Sulphuric Acid that I jealously keep for my more interesting reactions.

My last "real chems" order from my local chem supplier was 500 g of KOH.

Robert

Mailinmypocket - 28-6-2011 at 11:03

Quote: Originally posted by Arthur Dent  
Recent purchases include 500 g of Manganese Carbonate, 500 g of Strontium Carbonate and 100 g of Cobalt Carbonate, from a Ottawa-based pottery store

I think I know of the store you are talking about... Ive been wanting to go for so long but they are open at such inconveient hours for a person who works 9-5 Mon-Fri lol...

[Edited on 28-6-2011 by Mailinmypocket]

Arthur Dent - 28-6-2011 at 13:05

I think I know of the store you are talking about... Ive been wanting to go for so long but they are open at such inconveient hours for a person who works 9-5 Mon-Fri lol...

Yeah, I know, but living in Montreal, I played the "oh I live so far away and i'll be in town for such a short while" card and it worked. Sarah sent her husband on a Saturday afternoon to the store so she could acommodate me so I could pick-up my order in person and save on the Fedex shipping fees. She's a sweetheart.

They have a nice selection of interesting compounds, a useful place to know. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon at the LCBO to pick-up several flavors of ethanol and ended the day at the Manx pub with a couple of buddies to sample a few bitters.
:D :P
Robert

Robert

bbartlog - 28-6-2011 at 15:44

15 gallons of 35% hydrogen peroxide. Actually only about one liter will be used for my chemistry, the rest goes to agriculture or more properly animal husbandry purposes... but I was pleased to see that I could still get this OTC without any hassle.

Rogeryermaw - 28-6-2011 at 17:36

most recently:

16 oz CHCl3
16 oz H2SO4
4 oz hexamethylene tetramine
400 ml beaker (to replace one i broke a couple of weeks ago)
gas washing bottle
bell jar
vacuum plate and
2.5 cfm vacuum pump rated at 25 microns

GreenD - 28-6-2011 at 18:31

sulfuric acid. 950 ml.

mr.crow - 29-6-2011 at 06:47

Everyone's getting those nasty quality pottery chemicals. Yuck!

I think there is hydrogen peroxide at the Hemp store in Toronto. For "hydroponics". Isn't Canada great?

Actually its not because of the Canada Post strike. I bought a ton of shit on ebay last week and no one has been able to send anything!

Magpie - 29-6-2011 at 07:12

I have bought quite a few pottery chemicals. Yes, they come in plastic bags; but they are uncommonly inexpensive. I have not had any trouble with any of them that I'm aware of. I understand that they are likely not chemically pure but since many are used for making glazes of predictable color the impurities must at least be consistent.

mr.crow - 29-6-2011 at 07:51

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  

I have bought quite a few pottery chemicals. Yes, they come in plastic bags; but they are uncommonly inexpensive. I have not had any trouble with any of them that I'm aware of. I understand that they are likely not chemically pure but since many are used for making glazes of predictable color the impurities must at least be consistent.

I was using the SrCO3 to make Sr(NO3)2. The solution was a cloudy suspension, some insoluble impurities and I even got a whiff of something sulfurous. I heard they are about 2% barium.

I also heard that pottery MnO2 is about half sand. So less like chemicals and more like raw materials. Of course that might be half the fun right there.

Mixell - 29-6-2011 at 08:47

I try to stay away from pottery grade chemicals, better spend a few extra bucks and get it from a chemical company with a reasonable (and known) purity.

And on another note, my recent purchase's:
50g Tin
17g molybdenum.
80g cadmium.
20g niobium.
11g tantalum.

all in coin/rode form, cost about 35$ including shipping.

Jor - 29-6-2011 at 08:58

Do you have any uses for the cadmium or is it just an element sample? It seems to be looking at your other purchases. I still need to buy a Cd-sample, but I'm not gonna buy those 80g cylinders or even worse the cadmium powder offered on ebay. I need only a few grams.

I stay away from that element in experiments, from what I have read it is not really interesting chemistry wise (forms mostly white compounds, the related mercury compounds are almost always more interesting), and is very nasty: potent carcinogen, even small amounts, such as 10mg, can cause nasty (but non-fatal) toxicity. To make it worse, Cd halflife in body is about 25 years, much longer than mercury, so you can say that cadmium may be even more toxic and dangerous than mercury as a chronic poison. Organocadmium compounds are useful in organic chemistry, but hell that sounds even more nasty :D

[Edited on 29-6-2011 by Jor]

Arthur Dent - 29-6-2011 at 09:08

Yes I know these pottery-grade chems are less than pure, but detailed MSDS gave me a good idea of the quality. For example, the Cobalt Carbonate is fairly pure... the Strontium Carbonate has 2% barium and 1% calcium, but with a basic purification process, I got myself some fairly pure Strontium Chloride. As for the Manganese Carbonate, I have yet to experiment with it, but it also seems fairly pure, and sand would be probably one of the easiest thing to filter out of a compound...

So if the MSDS is available, I don't think pottery-grade chems should be ruled out completely, stuff like Iron Oxides and Copper Oxides for thermite experiments are pretty hard to find otherwise.

Robert

Mixell - 29-6-2011 at 11:26

Well, I bought it for 3 reasons.
Its will be a good elemental samples, and I'll probably do some chemistry with it (with utmost respect and precaution).
Well, and it was quite cheap =)
I can send you a few grams if you would like, just need to check the postal costs and etc.
Send me a U2U if you would like it.

[Edited on 29-6-2011 by Mixell]

woelen - 29-6-2011 at 11:55

@Jor: I think that your figures on cadmium toxicity are overrated. There still is controversy about the carcinogenic properties of cadmium. Many studies about its carcinogenity are studies where exposure to the metal was combined with exposure to other compounds (e.g. arsenic or organic partially pyrolysed compounds, such as in tobacco smoking). Of course, it is a toxic metal and it should be treated with respect, but if it really were so toxic as many people want us to believe then we would be dead, all of us. In the recent past it was used in virtually every brightly colored object, such as children's toys, crates for storing bottles of beer (Heineken and Grolsch), hard-plastic bags with colored logo's and so on. It is good that the practice of using cadmium-compounds for coloring purposes is forbidden now, but the fact that it was used for this purpose and that most of the people from that era still are alive in good health makes me believe that things are not as nasty as people want us to believe nowadays.

Also read this article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium

Neil - 29-6-2011 at 20:48

Cadmium is still surprisingly ubiquitous as a metal coating. Once you start looking for it, you find it everywhere.

Jor - 30-6-2011 at 02:23

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
@Jor: I think that your figures on cadmium toxicity are overrated. There still is controversy about the carcinogenic properties of cadmium. Many studies about its carcinogenity are studies where exposure to the metal was combined with exposure to other compounds (e.g. arsenic or organic partially pyrolysed compounds, such as in tobacco smoking). Of course, it is a toxic metal and it should be treated with respect, but if it really were so toxic as many people want us to believe then we would be dead, all of us. In the recent past it was used in virtually every brightly colored object, such as children's toys, crates for storing bottles of beer (Heineken and Grolsch), hard-plastic bags with colored logo's and so on. It is good that the practice of using cadmium-compounds for coloring purposes is forbidden now, but the fact that it was used for this purpose and that most of the people from that era still are alive in good health makes me believe that things are not as nasty as people want us to believe nowadays.

Also read this article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium

Ok I might be overrating it a bit, but it is on the list of proven human carcinogens, so I would guess this would prove enough (I assume the people who make the list also look at other exposures in the same plant), but you might be right.
Further more, don't forget that cadmium pigment is not that toxic at all unless you ingest it. It is highly insoluble. Further more it entrapped in a solid plastic matrix. Funny you say it, I have analysed the Cd content in beer crates (using boiling HNO3/HClO4 to digest the plastic, buffering the solution and extracting the Cd as an organic complex in CCl4 wich is then analysed using UV-Vis spectroscopy).
The real danger are soluble salts or the biggest danger for workers is ofcourse the Cd/CdO fumes wich evolve when smelting Cd-alloys or Cd-plated (wich is very common, anticorrision) tools. I will look in the toxicological studies of cadmium later on, I dont have time at the moment.

Still I am into experimenting with the element as I hardly see it forming any interesting or colored compounds.

Xenomorph - 1-7-2011 at 14:29

Hydroxylamine Hydrochloride, 75g - as soon I get glyoxal there will be some interesting uses
Guanidine hydrochloride 200g - easy way (a.k.a. cheating) to tetrazole chemistry.
tungsten rods - already made some sodium tungtate for exploring tungsten chemistry
Phthalic anhydrite 50g - I felt sorry for glowes

hkparker - 1-7-2011 at 14:42

haha I just cut up 200g of gloves :(
Ill be doing luminol for my big final youtube video.

last order: elemental scientific.

Isopropanol 16oz (453.6g)
Oxalic acid 4oz (113.4g)
methyl alcohol 4oz
Sodium Bisulfate 16oz
Sodium thiosulfate 16oz
Ammonium hydroxide 30% 16oz (473.2ml)

Rogeryermaw - 1-7-2011 at 19:35

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  
haha I just cut up 200g of gloves :(
Ill be doing luminol for my big final youtube video.

last order: elemental scientific.

Isopropanol 16oz (453.6g)
Oxalic acid 4oz (113.4g)
methyl alcohol 4oz
Sodium Bisulfate 16oz
Sodium thiosulfate 16oz
Ammonium hydroxide 30% 16oz (473.2ml)

final? why final? i love your work. you can't quit! i forbid it! U2U me if you can't explain here.

Mixell - 2-7-2011 at 11:39

Bought 1 pound of (from eBay):
Ammonium sulfate.
Manganese sulfate.
Zinc sulfate.
Urea

All for 25$ including shipping.

hkparker - 2-7-2011 at 12:05

final? why final? i love your work. you can't quit! i forbid it! U2U me if you can't explain here.

I really appreciate that, thank you. But, the reason I must stop this fall is because I'm heading off to college :cool:! I'd love to continue there but I doubt I'll find a professor who will help me, and bring lab chemicals into the dorms is kinda a no-no. I wont stop home chemistry and when I get a suitable lab will continue to film again but until then I have to take a break. :(

Bot0nist - 2-7-2011 at 12:14

LOL, it appears I'm not your only fan...

Rogeryermaw - 2-7-2011 at 19:48

congrats hk! best of luck. chemistry major perhaps? you are going to stay on the board and share your progress when time allows?

hkparker - 3-7-2011 at 00:05

@Bot0nist lol I guess not, thanks everyone!

@Rogeryermaw yup, majoring in chem and probably a minor in computer engineering or computer science. I'm sure I'll be on SM all the time, no intention of leaving :D!

Mixell - 24-7-2011 at 23:04

After a quick trip to the chem store, ended up with:
500 ml chloroform.
1L hexane.
20 20 ml bottles.
10 50 ml bottles.
10 100 ml bottles.
5 meters of pH paper (1-14).
2 meters of silicon tubing.
And all sorts of corks and things.

hkparker - 25-7-2011 at 01:12

Quote: Originally posted by Mixell  
After a quick trip to the chem store

The internet chem store? Because if you have a local chem store that sells you all that that would sure be awesome!

Mixell - 25-7-2011 at 02:10

It is local, but the trip back and forth takes about three to four hours...
But most of their items are way over priced, except glassware and ordinary chemicals and solvents.

mr.crow - 25-7-2011 at 06:48

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  

I really appreciate that, thank you. But, the reason I must stop this fall is because I'm heading off to college :cool:! I'd love to continue there but I doubt I'll find a professor who will help me, and bring lab chemicals into the dorms is kinda a no-no. I wont stop home chemistry and when I get a suitable lab will continue to film again but until then I have to take a break. :(

Off Topic:

I'm sure you could find some profs that will help you out. My friend got some nice glassware and a few rare chemicals from school. I got free dry ice and liquid nitrogen!

Besides you should be bringing girls back to your dorm instead, hehe

I took comp eng, I recommend against this as a minor unless you jut want the degree so you can get hired as a programmer. Comp sci is worse.

You learn way more about programming just be doing it for fun. For school its just aggravating and they don't teach you anything or how to do it properly.

hkparker - 25-7-2011 at 16:11

Off Topic:

I'm sure you could find some profs that will help you out. My friend got some nice glassware and a few rare chemicals from school. I got free dry ice and liquid nitrogen!

Besides you should be bringing girls back to your dorm instead, hehe

I took comp eng, I recommend against this as a minor unless you jut want the degree so you can get hired as a programmer. Comp sci is worse.

You learn way more about programming just be doing it for fun. For school its just aggravating and they don't teach you anything or how to do it properly.

Thanks for the advice, all of it ;)

I am planning on minoring in comp sci as computers are my second interest. I've worked as an IT person for my high school and enjoyed that but I can imagine that wont be the focus of those classes at all. I guess I'll see how it goes.

I'm not much of a programmer but I'm learning python right now and its a lot of fun.

Mailinmypocket - 26-7-2011 at 09:33

Finally had to break down and buy some sulfur powder from an actual chemical supplier due to the fact that I wasn't able to find any locally... Anywhere!? Pharmacies all tell me they "used" to carry those types of things but jot anymore... Garden supply stores don't have it either... But 13$ for 500g of ACS grade isn't bad I guess...

Also waiting on 1lb of calcium carbide from eBay!(13$+13$ shipping... Not bad!) I've been wanting some of that stuff for years! ;) can't wait to try dehydrogenating it in chlorine and perhaps trying out some acetylide syntheses!

Rogeryermaw - 26-7-2011 at 20:13

excellent grab on the CaC<sub>2</sub>. i've been wanting some for a while but the supplier i use charges hazmat fee for shipping it. hope the seller was following regs.

<a href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=17088" onclick="window.open(this.href); return false;">this thread has an example of how improper shipping can lead to a world of trouble.</a>

Mailinmypocket - 27-7-2011 at 04:54

I was also surprised at how cheap shipping was... But looking at all the positive feedback on eBay seems to indicate that customers are all receiving their items, lots of feedback also from Canadian customers like myself and none report issues so... Fingers crossed! It's coming from Czech republic, I'll post a pic when it arrives :)

redox - 27-7-2011 at 07:10

From Elemental Scientific:

16 oz. Nitric acid
16 oz. Sulfuric acid
16 oz. Phosphoric acid
16 oz. Formalin 37%
16 oz. Acetic anhydride (!)
4 oz. Salicylic acid
1 oz. Mercuric chloride
16 oz. Octyl alcohol

From Ebay:

500 mL Benzyl alcohol
1 lb. Calcium propionate
500 mL Nitrobenzene (!)

mr.crow - 28-7-2011 at 08:32

I scored one of these for $40 cash at a surplus store. nice!!!

redox - 30-7-2011 at 18:25

Wow! :D Is it aldrich brand? Or did you just supply that page for reference?

mr.crow - 31-7-2011 at 09:06

Wow! :D Is it aldrich brand? Or did you just supply that page for reference?

Yea its that very one. $565 new ouch!

It has some weird packing material, like loops of fiberglass string. Might poke it out and use glass beads instead.

Mailinmypocket - 8-8-2011 at 14:02

I was also surprised at how cheap shipping was... But looking at all the positive feedback on eBay seems to indicate that customers are all receiving their items, lots of feedback also from Canadian customers like myself and none report issues so... Fingers crossed! It's coming from Czech republic, I'll post a pic when it arrives :)

FINALLY it has arrived... I thought it surely got caught at customs but low and behold two weeks later I received the Carbide... packaged in a yellow envelope and triple bagged inside. The shipper labelled it as "stones" on the customs sticker...Hence the cheap shipping through normal airmail for 13$ :P

The smell is strange and not quite enjoyable, I have never had the "pleasure" of experiencing the scent of calcium carbide. Fizzes like crazy and sure as heck gives off Acetylene, overall... very happy! :D

As promised, I took a picture of what it looks like.

photo.JPG - 119kB

redox - 8-8-2011 at 14:07

The smell is strange and not quite enjoyable, I have never had the "pleasure" of experiencing the scent of calcium carbide.

Pure acetylene is odorless. What you are smelling is toxic impurities such as arsine, phosphine, hydrogen sulfide, and maybe some hydrogen selenide.

Try not to sniff it too much...

Mailinmypocket - 8-8-2011 at 14:56

Pure acetylene is odorless. What you are smelling is toxic impurities such as arsine, phosphine, hydrogen sulfide, and maybe some hydrogen selenide.

Try not to sniff it too much...

I actually meant the chunks themselves, I knew the acetylene would be contaminated with that stuff but the stones on their own also have a pretty potent smell... I opened the bag and I certainly wasn't prepared for a blast of air that smelled like... that.

Thanks for the warning though :P

mnick12 - 8-8-2011 at 19:18

My last orders:

Dimethyl formamide-500ml
Nitromethane-500ml ACS
Methanol-1L
GAA-1L
Methylene chloride-1L
Sodium metal-25g
Magnesium granules (for grignards)-250g

I also bought a bunch of beackers, amber bottles, and a few cylinders as well a bunch of ground glass. I should have some cool stuff up in the next few weeks.

Mailinmypocket - 27-2-2012 at 09:34

A few interesting solvents, salts and metals...

1lb Hg
100 g Se pieces
Resorcinol
Na2S
NaF
NH4HF2
NaNO2
DCM
Trichloroethylene
Perchloroethylene
CS2
H3PO4 85%
Urea
GAA
CuSO4
Sr(NO3)2
Ethylenediamine 99.5%

Also got some glassware but am missing a 19/22 still head which I have tried ordering with Expediaglass for the first time so we shall see how that goes... their site is somewhat lacking in terms of information which makes me leery but it seems like other members have had okay experiences with them.

[Edited on 27-2-2012 by Mailinmypocket]

mr.crow - 28-2-2012 at 08:51

Hooray for buying stuff in Canada!
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  15