Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Latest chemical order?

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  15

SM2 - 5-12-2012 at 08:53

Quote: Originally posted by peach  
1,000lbs ergotamine

Wah, ha ha ha ha ha_:<? FennelAssIhTone gives a roaring laugh followed suddenly by complete silence, and the look of confusion on his face.

woelen - 6-12-2012 at 00:08

I jsut ordered 20 grams of 2,2-bipyridyl. It is a nice coordinating agent and I intend to use this for experiments with ruthenium. Ru(bypy) complexes seem to have very interesting optical properties and I would like to see this into action myself.

stoichiometric_steve - 6-12-2012 at 01:25

Quote: Originally posted by Fennel Ass Ih Tone  

In Germany, Melatonin is very watched, and can only be supplied by a physician for a 20 day supply, no refills.

Of course it is Rx, but the other claims are bullshit.

Pyro - 7-12-2012 at 11:54

no chemical order. but i finally got some proper soft silicone hose, so I don't risk breaking my hose adapters whenever I pull it off.
4mx8mmID and 4mx10mmID set me back 43EUR! big bad ripoff!

Lambda-Eyde - 7-12-2012 at 13:38

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro  
no chemical order. but i finally got some proper soft silicone hose, so I don't risk breaking my hose adapters whenever I pull it off.

Ugh... I can't tell you how much I long for soft rubber hoses. The PE (I believe) hoses most hardware stores carry are absolute shit. If they're not the perfect diameter they won't seal properly around the connections, and they're so DAMN stiff that they will tip over my condensers if they're not clamped to hell and back. I hate them! I got some PVC hoses that were only a little bit better, but still a huge improvement. I got a tip from one of my farmer friends to check out milk hoses. They're supposed to be natural rubber. So that's worth checking out for other people, too ;)

Once I went to a local store that deals primarily in hoses. They claim to be hose experts and they deliver a lot of speciality hoses to the industry. They had teflon lined, reinforced hoses of all imaginable diameters, hoses for foodstuffs, gasoline, acids, everything! But they didn't have any perfectly normal, ordinary rubber hoses. Not anything close to it :P

Mailinmypocket - 7-12-2012 at 14:13

Quote: Originally posted by stoichiometric_steve  
Quote: Originally posted by Fennel Ass Ih Tone  

In Germany, Melatonin is very watched, and can only be supplied by a physician for a 20 day supply, no refills.

Of course it is Rx, but the other claims are bullshit.

Is there a specific reason why melatonin is very watched? Here in Canada all pharmacies sell melatonin tablets off the shelf, same with natural food stores... No purchase limits or anything.

TheChemINC - 14-12-2012 at 15:06

Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  

Ugh... I can't tell you how much I long for soft rubber hoses. The PE (I believe) hoses most hardware stores carry are absolute shit. If they're not the perfect diameter they won't seal properly around the connections, and they're so DAMN stiff that they will tip over my condensers if they're not clamped to hell and back. I hate them! I got some PVC hoses that were only a little bit better, but still a huge improvement. I got a tip from one of my farmer friends to check out milk hoses. They're supposed to be natural rubber. So that's worth checking out for other people, too ;)

Once I went to a local store that deals primarily in hoses. They claim to be hose experts and they deliver a lot of speciality hoses to the industry. They had teflon lined, reinforced hoses of all imaginable diameters, hoses for foodstuffs, gasoline, acids, everything! But they didn't have any perfectly normal, ordinary rubber hoses. Not anything close to it :P

have you tried the hardware store? they will ususally carry natural latex tubing (usually 3/8") and its about 7 USD. one bad thing about is that it will rot quite readily if left out in the sun, or just outside in general....

Pyro - 15-12-2012 at 03:51

hose

I suggest to buy from the one selling: 25FEET-xx/xx''-LATEX RUBBER TUBING-SURGICAL GRADE-NEW
25 ft would cost less than 20USD. and he has many different sizes.

Any idea why silicone would be so expensive?

PS:just to make you jealous, the rubber shop where I bought the hose also has lots of plastic beakers :)

Swede - 20-12-2012 at 07:36

I bid on an eBay auction in a knee-jerk fashion, and won a chemical I have no real use for... Lithium Lanthanum Titanate.

Any idea what I can do with it?

Siggebo - 30-12-2012 at 06:54

*Happy moment*

Being home by my dad's for the holidays, he dragged me off to a second-hand store. 'Nothing to see here,' I thought.

Until I saw a 5L buchner flask.

It's Pyrex brand, very good condition. No scrathes. The hose barb has previously been nicked and fire polished, that much is clear, but that's also the only thing.

And I got it for about 15€.

Hexavalent - 1-1-2013 at 14:11

From eBay:

200g BaCO3
200g SrCO3
100g vanillin
10 nice Pyrex test tubes:)
Box of nitrile gloves

elementcollector1 - 1-1-2013 at 20:25

1000mL beaker
Strontium metal, 8.7g
Zirconium metal, 9.1g
10/18 stopper, ground glass

this all from HMS Beagle, with a follow-up order from Elemental-Scientific within a week or so.

[Edited on 2-1-2013 by elementcollector1]

Hexavalent - 3-1-2013 at 02:44

Nice, do you have any plans for experimentation with the metals (or are they just element samples?)?

Pyro - 3-1-2013 at 07:35

2xB19 stoppers
vac dist reciever
15 cm air condenser
30cm liebig condenser
claisen adapter
thermometer adapter
RBF 100ml
graduated test tube
Dean stark trap-
B19 rubber tubing adapter
B19/14 adapters (one each way)
2 fire cabinets
vacuum pump
10 250ml beakers
4 250ml flasks
3 100ml bottles (Packers)
3 volumetric flasks

sadly more than half broke, damn UPS.
but i brought 2 beakers and a flask to our local pharmacist who wanted them and she saw my hands (all cut from that glass) and she gave me a free box of band aids :D

good glass.jpg - 214kBbroken glass.jpg - 183kB

elementcollector1 - 3-1-2013 at 08:14

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
Nice, do you have any plans for experimentation with the metals (or are they just element samples?)?

Element samples, unfortunately. I don't have use for strontium or zirconium compounds at the moment...
Maybe in the future.

Mailinmypocket - 8-1-2013 at 08:59

4l 37% formaldehyde... Only 15$! Score :)

Mercedesbenzene - 12-1-2013 at 13:27

500g bromobenzene
100g phenylacetylene
1kg cyanuric chloride
100g sodium metal
500mL pyridine
500mL acetonitrile
I just have to actually find some time to use these for some experiments now. Can't wait til reading break!

smaerd - 12-1-2013 at 13:54

How much did the pyridine run? I've been trying to find some.

Mercedesbenzene - 12-1-2013 at 14:06

The pyridine cost me $32

smaerd - 12-1-2013 at 14:15

That's a pretty good deal I'll have to look harder thank you.

Mercedesbenzene - 12-1-2013 at 14:21

I am not sure for the best place for someone to get pyridine. I work at a university lab, which allows me to buy from alfa and sigma, (I got this one from alfa) which I understand is pretty hard to do if you don't work at a university

Eddygp - 12-1-2013 at 14:33

Yb, 20g in argon ampoule.

violet sin - 12-1-2013 at 15:02

ebay shopping
1# 425mesh Al powder
1# CuO 99%
1# V2O5 99% (main purchase from seller, but took advantage of combined shipping)
1# SrCO3 99%
1# BaCO3 99%
3#'s Ca3(PO4)2 99%
5#'s Fe2O3 99% ( know it's not exciting but only like 6.25$ inc shippng)
500ml tert butanol..
and
25- 5ml ampoules new un-sealed
100' resistance wire(nichrome) 32gauge
new oil burner ignition transformer 10Kv @ 23ma

all for ~ 170$us(shipping included) from 5 diff sellers. perhaps it wasn't the most awesome deals but I'm happy.

woelen - 17-1-2013 at 05:28

From eBay:

Reagent grade 48% HF in special UN-qualified bottle. Packaging and shipping is not cheap (appr. EUR 25), but with HF you'd better do things the right way. I want to use this for experiment with coordination chemistry.

What kind of test tubes can best be used for experiments with this? Can I use little plastic tubes as used in some cheap chemistry sets? Normally I consider those plastic test tubes like garbage, but they might actually be useful in experiments with HF. I do not want to spoil my glass with this. For fun, I'll sacrifice one test tube though by pouring in 2 ml or so of the 48% HF and filming this, until the liquid falls through the bottom of the test tube.

Mailinmypocket - 19-1-2013 at 15:24

Rhodamine B.... Way too much Rhodamine B.. :P

image.jpg - 93kB

borrowedlawyer - 19-1-2013 at 23:11

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  

Be super careful if you don't want to be pink :D

Mailinmypocket - 20-1-2013 at 05:05

Quote: Originally posted by borrowedlawyer  

Oh, too late :P It came double bagged and I opened the first bag, not realizing the ultra fine dust in there, pink fingers and phone case followed shortly after. Putting into a bottle is going to be great fun!

Hexavalent - 20-1-2013 at 06:58

Oh dear...I've done the same recently with methylene blue...judging by my hands, I look like a Smurf :P

Just picked up locally 750 mL denatured ethanol and 1L acetone.

borrowedlawyer - 20-1-2013 at 13:11

Oh, too late :P It came double bagged and I opened the first bag, not realizing the ultra fine dust in there, pink fingers and phone case followed shortly after. Putting into a bottle is going to be great fun!

Same thing happened to me pretty much. It went through my gloves! Microscopic particles will land on your work bench and will stain it pink when you wipe it down. Be careful when transferring to a bottle not to inhale any fine dust, or you will know the next time you blow your nose :P

Although I still don't understand why it is so hard for them to send it in a nice glass bottle instead of these stupid plastic ziplock bags.

Pyro - 20-1-2013 at 15:08

its cheaper and there's less chance of breakage. and shipping is easier as it is easier to ship an envelope instead of a box

mnick12 - 23-1-2013 at 13:44

L-proline 250g
glycine 500g
L-alanine 500g

Anyone know where to buy chloroacetamide or ethyl chlororacetate?

Hexavalent - 23-1-2013 at 15:15

Although I still don't understand why it is so hard for them to send it in a nice glass bottle instead of these stupid plastic ziplock bags.

I'll drink to that! I'd rather pay a little extra and have it pre-bottled: even using a plastic (HDPE, Nalgene or similar) receptacle would be better and would reduce the risk of breakage during shipping that Pyro mentioned.

Mailinmypocket - 24-1-2013 at 08:14

Yes, the transfer of rhodamine b from the plastic bag to its new home in a glass jar was an EPIC mess. Despite me covering my work area with newspaper, gloves and working very carefully with a spoon instead of pouring it managed to get everywhere. Micro dust even made it into my nose! The underneath of my socks were pink just from invisible dust on the floor, I blew my nose... Pink... Ugh. Thank god that's done.

Anyhow, picked up some new chemicals from a lab closing sale.. They are all almost full, except the silver acetate which looks like it was never used.. All for 35$!!!

Potassium bromate
Silver acetate
Potassium chromate
Salicylic acid
P-naphtholbenzein indicator

image.jpg - 101kB image.jpg - 101kB

mr.crow - 24-1-2013 at 11:16

Jealous!!!

Now imagine if the rhodamine was lead nitrate, or germs from someone sneezing on the subway. Yikes!

Mailinmypocket - 24-1-2013 at 11:33

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
Jealous!!!

Now imagine if the rhodamine was lead nitrate, or germs from someone sneezing on the subway. Yikes!

Yeah I feel dumb just taking what I did... The bottles without seals were very cheap, the sealed new stuff was quite pricey, although the silver acetate was on the "dyes- open" table, 5$!! They also had some glass, Buchi's and lots of TLC stuff but it was a bit expensive :( if I end up going back I will let everyone know and see if there are any requests that I can keep my eyes peeled for.

As for the rhodamine? Yep... If it were a germ I would be infected for sure! Baby powder consistency stuff.

mnick12 - 2-2-2013 at 00:10

phenylhydrazine 500g
4-methoxyphenol 500g
phosphoryl chloride 1Kg
chloroacetamide 1Kg
THF 1L
4-amino-3-phenylbutyric acid 100g

And some nice glassware from Dr. Bob.

Mailinmypocket - 2-2-2013 at 10:38

Was given some CuCN... Don't really know of any immediate uses for it though :S

[Edited on 2-2-2013 by Mailinmypocket]

Lambda-Eyde - 2-2-2013 at 10:51

Was given some CuCN... Don't really know of any immediate uses for it though :S

[Edited on 2-2-2013 by Mailinmypocket]

Sandmeyer reaction to produce nitriles.

sbbspartan - 7-2-2013 at 08:29

I just ordered some chemicals from Elemental Scientific yesterday...

Oxalic Acid
Phosphoric Acid 85%
Phthalic Acid Anhydride
Phenolhthalein powder
Methylene Blue
Methyl Orange
Methyl Red
Glucose Anhydrous
Potassium Ferricyanide
Potassium Ferrocyanide
Potassium Metabisulfate
Potassium Dichromate
Potassium Iodide
Ammonium Hydroxide
Calcium Oxide
Sodium Thiosulfate
Hydroquinone
Sodium Sulfite
Oleic Acid
Ferric Ammonium Oxalate
Boiling Stones

Along with some other items from Elemental, Dr. Bob, and DigiKey...

Some clear glass and polyethylene vials
gas washing bottle
mercury thermometer -10 to 200*C

assortment of stir bars - around 10
3 neck 24/40 RB flask 200ml
2 250ml, 1 125ml, 1 500ml 24/40 erlenmeyer flask
50ml glass graduated cylinder
a couple wash bottles, pipettes, etc...
250ml filter flask

and some resistors for a computer power supply that I am using for my chlorate cell.

And it was all extremely cheap too... I am going to be busy for awhile. :D

Mailinmypocket - 8-2-2013 at 12:30

Anhydrous aluminum chloride :) I know storing it can be a bitch to keep it fresh and to avoid fugitive HCl fumes... I'm planning on keeping it in a desiccator with NaOH, how do you guys store it?

Pyro - 8-2-2013 at 14:54

300g CaO, 300g MgSO4, 100g K4Fe(CN)6 from the local paint store
EDIT: Oh, and about half a liter of THF that I found upstairs, don't tell them I stole it :D
(It's been there years, that place is deserted)

[Edited on 8-2-2013 by Pyro]

mayko - 10-2-2013 at 07:31

Aluminum powder
Magnesium powder
Ligroin
Sodium Thiosulfate
Potassium Permanganate

Things learned thusfar: CuO/Al thermite is hilarious, and manganese heptoxide + nitrocellulose does exactly what you'd expect.

Also, I got a bit of DCPIP
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichlorophenolindophenol">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichlorophenolindophenol</a>
Interesting-looking molecule; any ideas about what I could do with it besides test for vitamin C?

Mailinmypocket - 10-2-2013 at 08:11

300g CaO, 300g MgSO4, 100g K4Fe(CN)6 from the local paint store
EDIT: Oh, and about half a liter of THF that I found upstairs, don't tell them I stole it :D
(It's been there years, that place is deserted)

[Edited on 8-2-2013 by Pyro]

Nice find! Although I would test the THF for peroxides, especially since the bottle is several years old and half full.

Hexavalent - 10-2-2013 at 10:35

Yes...dissolve a small quantity of potassium/sodium iodide in water in a test tube, add a small amount of your THF, and shake. If you see a pink colour anywhere, then the THF may contain peroxides which must be removed.

sbbspartan - 10-2-2013 at 19:34

Is Elemental Scientific behaving weird, or is it just my computer/Internet...

When I try to order some items and I go to checkout, I can't seem to pay with a credit card. The only "payment options" they have are either mail in, call in, or fax in. Does this have something to do with the fact that I have some chemicals in my cart, versus just some thermometers I got last time, or what?

I would rather not have to mail a check in. Am I doing something wrong. :( The last time I ordered from them, I thought you could enter a credit card number in right away. I have an account with them, and I even tried to make a new account, but I can't seem to find that payment option anywhere.

elementcollector1 - 10-2-2013 at 20:18

Should be fine, I've ordered chems from them with a credit card. Keep in mind that this site is a 4-person business, so errors are not all that uncommon. Try contacting the store through email and asking.

sbbspartan - 11-2-2013 at 14:15

I called them to see why I couldn't enter a credit card number in on their site, and they said that they are editing that part of their website right now, and until they finish, you will not be able to directly enter a C.C. number in.

You can either call them and give them your C.C. number, or mail them a check (or fax it to them).

Pyro - 12-2-2013 at 13:46

I tested it, no peroxides at all!
thanks for reminding me to test it!

zenosx - 19-2-2013 at 21:43

Quote: Originally posted by sbbspartan  
I called them to see why I couldn't enter a credit card number in on their site, and they said that they are editing that part of their website right now, and until they finish, you will not be able to directly enter a C.C. number in.

You can either call them and give them your C.C. number, or mail them a check (or fax it to them).

I will say that I faxed them my CC #, and while I still haven't gotten my order (they are always backed up), I did get an email telling me it was still "processing".

Anyways, I know them to be legit, just call them and give it to them.

Last Chemical Order

DrSchnufflez - 12-3-2013 at 02:24

This is my first post so here goes nothing I guess :)
Chemicals:
Aluminium Powder, 1 kilogram
Barium Nitrate, 1 kilogram
Potassium Bromate, 500g
Potassium Dichromate, 500g
Potassium Nitrate, 500g
Sodium Benzoate, 500g
Calcium Chloride Anhydrous, 500g
Zinc Powder, 500g
Potassium Chloride, 500g

(Amazingly I'm not into pyro stuff- the Al Powder is for expanding my element collection :P)

Glass (all an upgrade from my 14/23 setup):
250ml Sep Funnel
250ml Pressure Equalized Addition Funnel
400mm Liebig Condenser
300mm Vigreux Column
Gas Take Off Adapter
500ml Two Neck RBF
5 Glass stoppers
Still head
200mm Davies Condenser
Drying Tube

Cheers, DrSchnufflez

woelen - 12-3-2013 at 05:07

Aluminium powder also is quite interesting for small-scale experiments. With KBrO3 and S it makes a nice mix, but be careful with that. KBrO3/fuel mixes are at least as sensitive as KClO3/fuel mixes, but for small scale experiments (prepare less than 100 mg in one batch) it can be fun for demo purposes.

Steve_hi - 12-3-2013 at 06:03

Product Name Quantity Price/Ea. Total

LITHIUM CARBONATE (FINE) 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: Half-Lb $4.25 $4.25
COBALT CARBONATE 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: Qtr-Lb $9.75 $9.75
IRON OXIDE - RED 84% 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: 1-Lb $3.00 $3.00
MANGANESE GRANULAR 40 M 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: 1-Lb $4.75 $4.75
NICKEL CARBONATE 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: Half-Lb $9.50 $9.50
VANADIUM PENTOXIDE 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: Half-Lb $11.75 $11.75
SODIUM NITRATE 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: 5-Lbs $7.75 $7.75
BARIUM CARBONATE 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: 1-Lb $3.25 $3.25
BARIUM SULFATE 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: Half-Lb $2.75 $2.75
IRON CHLORIDE 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: Half-Lb $3.75 $3.75
IRON SULFATE 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: Qtr-Lb $2.50 $2.50
MANGANESE CARBONATE 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: Half-Lb $2.75 $2.75
POTASSIUM (DI)BICHROMATE 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: Half-Lb $6.50 $6.50
SILICON CARBIDE - 100M 1 $0.00 $0.00
Choice: Half-Lb $2.95 $2.95
Shipping: We will add to base rate of $2.50 for handling and call you to confirm additional shipping: $2.50
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $77.70

DrSchnufflez - 12-3-2013 at 12:44

I bought the potassium bromide because it is an efficient oxidizer for making bromine and potassium permanganate is quite precious to me as it is quite difficult to get :(

Mixell - 12-3-2013 at 13:01

Doesn't it cost like 10$ for half a kilo?

Simbani - 13-3-2013 at 08:58

my last order:
-Ba(ClO4)2
-KClO3
-NaNO2
-Oxalic acid
-Sodium metal
-Perchloric acid 70%
-P4O10
-Acetadehyd
-Paraformaldehyd
-PIB
-Sodium sulfide
-Anhydrous acetic acid
-Hydrazine sulfate
-I2O5
-Sodium azide
-V2O5
-Hydroxylamine Hydrochloride
-Ba(ClO3)2
-Platinum wire

GreenD - 13-3-2013 at 12:18

Benzyl Amino Purine

Mailinmypocket - 13-3-2013 at 13:18

Hydroquinone- eBay
Thiourea- eBay
Bromine- Fluka
Naphthalene- Mothballs :P

DrSchnufflez - 23-3-2013 at 03:02

Just as a person who knows how to handle it and has all of the appropriate safety equipment to deal with it, how much should 50g of metallic sodium cost?

Steve_hi - 23-3-2013 at 04:06

1 CH6321-16 POTASSIUM CHLORIDE USP CRYSTALS, 16 oz. - $6.95
$6.95
1 CH1217-16 ALCONOX DETERGENT, 16 oz. - $8.00
$8.00
1 CH1031-16 ACETIC ACID GLACIAL, 16 oz. - $8.90
$8.90
1 CH2115-16 BOILING STONES, 16 oz. - $11.70
$11.70
2 CH5330-1 MERCURY METAL DISTILLED, 1 oz. - $7.50
$15.00
1 CH6066-16 PHOSPHORIC ACID REAGENT ACS 85%, 16 oz. - $9.25
$9.25
1 CH6430-16 POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE FLAKES, 16 oz. - $10.00
$10.00
1 CHV1139-4 METHYL-TERT BUTYL ETHER ACS, 4 oz. - $9.90
$9.90
1 CH4631-16 LACTIC ACID 85% PURIFIED, 16 oz. - $13.30
$13.30
1 CH3992-16 FORMIC ACID, 90% 16 oz. - $20.50
$20.50
1 CH2050-4 BENZOIC ACID CRYSTALS USP, 4 oz. - $6.99
$6.99
1 CH6112-4 PHTHALIC ACID ANHYDRIDE, 4 oz. - $9.65
$9.65
1 CH8309 TITANIUM METAL - $5.00
$5.00
1 CH6014-4 PHENOL CRYSTALS ACS, 4 oz. - $21.00
$21.00

sbbspartan - 23-3-2013 at 13:03

Quote: Originally posted by DrSchnufflez  
Just as a person who knows how to handle it and has all of the appropriate safety equipment to deal with it, how much should 50g of metallic sodium cost?

I have never bought sodium before, but I have heard many good things about GalliumSource.com. They sell 140 grams for $89 + shipping which would be about $32 for 50 grams. But you can't forget about the dang shipping cost. $10 for shipping plus a hazmat fee of about $35 (although I think GalliumSource pays that for you already if I'm not mistaken). Their minimum size is 140 grams though... I've never bought sodium before though, so I am not exactly sure what a 'fair' price is.

sbbspartan - 23-3-2013 at 13:20

I just made a run to the local hardware store to get some potassium nitrate stump remover. Every other time I go there when I don't need it, I see it, but when I do need it, it is nowhere to be found. :( Anyway, while I was there, I couldn't help but get some other chemicals.

Guess what? They were having a sale on both drain cleaners and pool chemicals. What are the chances of that... Normally I can get 1 liter of crystal clear ~93% sulfuric acid as a drain cleaner for about $8 a bottle, but now it is only $2.50 per bottle/liter. I couldn't help myself... :D

3 liters of sulfuric acid - $7.50
2 pounds of 99% copper sulfate (for drains) - $7.00
2 gallons of 12.5% bleach - ~$5.00
1 pound of calcium hypochlorite - $2.00
Some phenol red indicator - $1.00

I love shopping for chemicals. It's actually pretty fun trying to figure out what chemicals are in which products. I think I might have to go back and get some more sulfuric acid before they sell out or get rid of it. They already got rid of the old brand I used to get, so I don't know how much longer they will carry this one. By the way, the sodium hypochlorite is light green/yellow. This is normal for concentrated bleach, is it not?

woelen - 24-3-2013 at 05:51

Those are very good prices. I recently purchased 2.5 liters of H2SO4 (96%) and 2.5 liters of HNO3 (70%) for EUR 60 (incl. shipping), making the price per liter well over EUR 10.

Conc. bleach indeed is pale green/yellow. This is due to the color of HOCl.

elementcollector1 - 27-3-2013 at 11:38

30g KOH x3 - to replace my dwindling stock of KOH

Mortar + pestle - to replace a broken mortar from months and months ago

250mL beaker - to replace a beaker broken a month or two ago

1000mL beaker - to replace a beaker broken two days ago

Carbon electrode, 1/4" x 4" rod - to use for electrochemistry, and to compare between battery-grade and this 'official' one

Glass tubing, 5mm x 12" (x4) - to use for ampouling, etc.

Ordered from HomeScienceTools. Total cost about $39, shipping (mentioned as 3-8 days) arrived on the 3rd day, incredibly fast! 10/10, would buy again.
Now if only I had money... :P

woelen - 27-3-2013 at 13:23

I purchased a single chemical. SImply could not resist it, because it is rare and maybe a single chance for me to get this:

50 grams of very hard to obtain TlNO3

Yes, now I finally have a thallium compound. Experiments with this will soon appear on my website ;) This element has an interesting redox chemistry and apparently also quite interesting coordination chemistry with halogens.

[Edited on 27-3-13 by woelen]

elementcollector1 - 27-3-2013 at 13:33

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I purchased a single chemical. SImply could not resist it, because it is rare and maybe a single chance for me to get this:

Yes, now I finally have a thallium compound. Experiments with this will soon appear on my website ;) This element has an interesting redox chemistry and apparently also quite interesting coordination chemistry with halogens.

[Edited on 27-3-13 by woelen]

How much did that cost you?
The only source I could find was the sulfate, at $8.50 per gram (http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/beaglewebstore/-strse-2004/...)

watson.fawkes - 27-3-2013 at 15:32

Yes, now I finally have a thallium compound.
Should you get inspired to make come NaI(Tl) crystals for scintillation detectors, please do tell.

woelen - 28-3-2013 at 00:12

I purchased the material here:

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Thallous-nitrate-MB-99-9-Trace-Metals...

I ordered two of these bottles, because I had to pay a lot of fixed additional costs (postage appr. $25 plus customs and taxes appr. $40, regardless of buying one or two bottles). This guy has other thallium salts as well (e.g. thallic nitrate 4-hydrate), but I chose the product with the highest thallium weight per dollar. In the other compounds you have more nitrate and water per gram of material.
Altogether, this was not a cheap buy for me, but I decided to buy it because here in NL it is virtually impossible to find thallium compounds and this offer may disappear soon again.

[Edited on 28-3-13 by woelen]

mayko - 29-3-2013 at 07:42

A pound of manganese sulfate, a pound of oxalic acid, and 100 g calcium carbide.

Carolina Biological tried to spin me some tale about how no one would sell me carbide, but HMS Beagle came through :) Praise Darwin!

Mailinmypocket - 29-3-2013 at 08:30

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  
A pound of manganese sulfate, a pound of oxalic acid, and 100 g calcium carbide.

Carolina Biological tried to spin me some tale about how no one would sell me carbide, but HMS Beagle came through :) Praise Darwin!

You should have spun them a tale about how it's uppity attitudes such as theirs that are making this a difficult hobby to enjoy at times ;). Glad you found the carbide elsewhere though!

woelen - 31-3-2013 at 05:43

The first results (text only): http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/exppatt.cgi?...

More will follow. Especially the experiments with iodide are very nice.

Sciocrat - 1-4-2013 at 00:50

Nothing special, some sodium bromide (500 grams), glacial acetic acid (1000 mL) and a formaldehyde solution (1000 mL, 37%).

I'm saving money for a larger investment when it comes to lab equipment in general, so chemicals will unfortunately have to wait for some time. :(

mr.crow - 2-4-2013 at 17:42

I got 1 lb of tungsten powder! :)

The density of the powder is disappointing, however, fitting in about 47 mL. The density of the solid metal should be almost twice that.

Pyro - 3-4-2013 at 06:24

Melt into an ingot :D but seriously, what are you going to do with it? electrodes?

mr.crow - 3-4-2013 at 07:07

Melt into an ingot :D but seriously, what are you going to do with it? electrodes?

Haha :) Just an element sample, and so I could heft it around.

chemcam - 4-4-2013 at 14:28

2.5L, 70% Nitric Acid, ACS $54.00
4L, 98% Sulfuric Acid, Lab $22.69
500g, Sulfur - Precipitated, Lab $10.18
500g, Sodium Hydroxide, Lab $11.56
500g, Sodium Chlorate, Lab $17.65
1L, Ammonium Hydroxide, Lab $12.65
500g, Alumina - Activated, Lab $18.65
100g, Potassium Thiocyanate, Lab $6.12
125g, Potassium Ferrocyanide, Lab $10.35
500g, Potassium Chloride, Lab $16.63
125g, Potassium Bromide, Lab $8.64
500g, Potassium Chlorate, ACS $27.25
500g, Potassium Permanganate, Lab $19.95
1L, 35% Hydrogen Peroxide, Lab $17.64
4L, 31.45% Hydrochloric Acid, Technical $12.24
500mL, Toluene, Lab $8.50
500mL, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Lab $15.74
500mL, Xylene(s), Lab $7.50
4L, Acetone, ACS $34.00
1L, 95% Ethyl Alcohol, ACS $20.65
500mL, Methyl Alcohol, Lab $8.00

450g, Mercury, Harvested from medical/industrial equip. I am willing to sell some of this mercury or trade for reagents/glassware. USA only unless you provide link to shipping laws of your country pertaining to chemicals.

sbbspartan - 4-4-2013 at 15:48

Nice... Would you mind telling where you got them all from? Was it all from one website or a couple of different websites?

More specifically, the nitric acid. Does that price include shipping? Did you have to pay a hazardous shipping fee on top of that price? $54 for two and a half liters doesn't sound that terrible if you don't have to pay tons of extra fees. The sulfuric acid isn't that bad either.

I recently ordered 1 ounce of silver from the mint to make some more silver nitrate. I just used the last of my old stock.

chemcam - 4-4-2013 at 16:28

I really prefer not to give specific suppliers publicly but yes all of this is from one supplier who does have a website and will ship to anyone in the continental united states. I live only a few miles from the warehouse so I pick up directly therefore eliminating the shipping prices. If you search thoroughly you will find them. They also sell pyrex glassware and pretty much anything science related for good prices.

Upon closer inspection of their shipping policy regarding the nitric acid they have a limit of 1 liter per shipment and the fee is $25 for hazardous material. I see they have listed 500mL, 67% HNO3 for $16.16

[Edited on 5-4-2013 by chemcam]

Pyro - 7-4-2013 at 07:17

a few #3 scalpel handles and #11 blades because i needed some type of knife. as the blades are disposable they seemed perfect. unfortunately I stuck it in my thumb while inserting the blade! It should heal fast though as they are probably sterile and bloody sharp! :(

hafnium - 7-4-2013 at 09:34

Quote: Originally posted by chemcam  
I really prefer not to give specific suppliers publicly but yes all of this is from one supplier who does have a website and will ship to anyone in the continental united states. I live only a few miles from the warehouse so I pick up directly therefore eliminating the shipping prices. If you search thoroughly you will find them. They also sell pyrex glassware and pretty much anything science related for good prices.

Upon closer inspection of their shipping policy regarding the nitric acid they have a limit of 1 liter per shipment and the fee is $25 for hazardous material. I see they have listed 500mL, 67% HNO3 for $16.16

[Edited on 5-4-2013 by chemcam]

Those are good prices, although after doing a thorough google search of your ordered chemicals, I'm skeptical they all came from one supplier. Going by your listed prices, it appears these came from Post Apple (from PA) and a few other suppliers. Is the chemical orders sheet in a pdf format not accessible via google search or something?

"Location: Pacific NW"

Haha, let me guess... you're from Portland.

sbbspartan - 7-4-2013 at 12:31

Just got some magnesium powder (~5 ounces) on eBay for about $10. Perhaps not the best price, although not bad, but I didn't want to shell out $30 for a pound of it, so this is nice.

Pyro - 8-4-2013 at 00:03

It just arrived from poland 5 mins ago. 800g P, 1l IPA, 900g S, 900g NaNO2.
the RP was on top, and when customs opened it they found 800g of RP right on top, they just taped it back shut and sent it to me!!!

chemcam - 8-4-2013 at 10:31

Quote: Originally posted by hafnium  

Those are good prices, although after doing a thorough google search of your ordered chemicals, I'm skeptical they all came from one supplier. Going by your listed prices, it appears these came from Post Apple (from PA) and a few other suppliers. Is the chemical orders sheet in a pdf format not accessible via google search or something?

"Location: Pacific NW"

Haha, let me guess... you're from Portland.

I have nothing to gain from lying on here, everything is from one place. I have never heard of Post Apple until now, I certainly don't drive from the west coast to the east coast just for cheap chemicals. The list is web format so you should find it.

Ah, Portland.. you're on the right track.

[Edited on 8-4-2013 by chemcam]

hafnium - 8-4-2013 at 12:47

I've got to apologize chemcam, you were right about that site (guess I didn't search hard enough). Much obliged for posting your new wares here, keep posting those youtube vids while you're at it as well!

chemcam - 8-4-2013 at 13:07

It's all good Hafnium. Their online ordering is not set up very well so what I do is send them an email with what I want and in what quantities, it takes them a few days to repackage it then I get an email saying its ready for pickup. I get funny looks when I pay in cash. I don't do that for any reason I just don't have a bank account.

I have never had anything shipped so I don't really know how that process works but I know when I go down there they sometimes ask what I'm going to be doing. I just tell them that I am continuing my education at home in a very professional like lab. I got questioned on proper disposal and handling the first time I used them. Now that I have an active relationship I get treated like a small business, free samples, discounts and a special catalog for custom chemicals/glass and whatnot.

I will be posting new videos soon, I have just been really sick.

[Edited on 8-4-2013 by chemcam]

sbbspartan - 9-4-2013 at 14:11

The eBay user "wampole573" is selling a couple addition funnels right now for fairly cheap. Starting bid on the 125 ml is only $12, and he is selling a 1500 ml one for a starting bid of $25. They are both 24/40.

He calls them "Adjustment Funnels" though. I assume their is no difference as they look exactly the same as an addition funnel. The 1500 ml does look a little weird at the bottom though. It sort of curves to the left before coming to the stopcock (teflon). I don't know how it wouldn't bust as it is pretty thin. You must have to clamp it really well.

Sounds like a pretty good deal though. I don't need any right now, so I thought I would tell others. :)

125 ml --- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Tennessee-125-ml-lab-adjustmen...

1500 ml -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hammett-Scientific-1500ml-Lab-Adjust...

Looking at some of the feedback, he has actually been selling several of them a day for very good prices. Check out this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/2250-ml-lab-glass-with-spout-/170991...

2250 ml addition funnel for $33. :o

hafnium - 10-4-2013 at 00:25

Quote: Originally posted by sbbspartan  
The eBay user "wampole573" is selling a couple addition funnels right now for fairly cheap. Starting bid on the 125 ml is only $12, and he is selling a 1500 ml one for a starting bid of $25. They are both 24/40.

He calls them "Adjustment Funnels" though. I assume their is no difference as they look exactly the same as an addition funnel. The 1500 ml does look a little weird at the bottom though. It sort of curves to the left before coming to the stopcock (teflon). I don't know how it wouldn't bust as it is pretty thin. You must have to clamp it really well.

Sounds like a pretty good deal though. I don't need any right now, so I thought I would tell others. :)

125 ml --- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Tennessee-125-ml-lab-adjustmen...

1500 ml -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hammett-Scientific-1500ml-Lab-Adjust...

Looking at some of the feedback, he has actually been selling several of them a day for very good prices. Check out this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/2250-ml-lab-glass-with-spout-/170991...

2250 ml addition funnel for $33. :o

Nice find sbbspartan! Can't wait to get beat out in the last 30 seconds of the auction...

VitaminX - 16-4-2013 at 08:45

2l Ethanol
2l MeOH
0.5l 33% HCl
0.5l 53% HNO3
0.5l 30% H2O2
1kg Sodiumsulfate
5l Isopropanol
20g Iodine

just discovered a chemical supplier in my city that sells to private persons :D

Pyro - 8-5-2013 at 04:28

My order from Hinmeijer finally arrived!
after 2 weeks there was still nothing, so my dad called them and they talked a lot :)

now it finally arrived, So I opened up the two boxes and got the things I ordered:
1l Cyclohexanol
1l t-BuOH
1l benzene
1l DCM
1l 85% Phosphoric acid
2,5l 37% formaldehyde
0,5l pyridine
order1.jpg - 211kB
But then I found something else among the packing peanuts!
guess!
surprise.jpg - 126kB
give up? its red P! I didn't even order it! let alone pay for it!!
order3.jpg - 167kB
the the drug sniffing cat went in to investigate and to make sure there were no more illegal substances!
order.jpg - 217kB
I'ts a huge bottle of P! it's a bit more than 1/3 full, I opened it carefully and it's smelly, like WP, this time i'll open it and take a small scoop!

but the neoprene gloves I ordered did not arrive :(

[Edited on 8-5-2013 by Pyro]

woelen - 8-5-2013 at 05:22

Nice set of chemicals, some of them not very common in these days. Now you have red P from a more reputable seller than that eBay guy. I expect the smell of white P to be less strong and I expect that red P to be much safer and not pyrophoric. Take a teaspoon of the red P and sprinkle this on a petri dish such that it is spread out over the entire surface and has a good amount of surface area in contact with air. It should not ignite, not even fume. It may have a smell of white P though, but not as strong as the stuff you had from Poland. If the red P passes this test, then you can regard it as safe for further use.

In one of my experiments (making of PBr3) I exposed even larger amounts of red P to air and I had no problems at all. I think you had just bad luck with the nasty stuff from Poland.

mr.crow - 8-5-2013 at 07:08

Nice!

Not chemicals, but my GF gave me a Book someone donated to the library

chemcam - 8-5-2013 at 07:36

Pyro, nice order! You are very lucky that your dad is supportive my family would have never let me get into chemistry. Had to wait until I got my own living space. Pyridine? Hmm....

Pyro - 8-5-2013 at 10:10

and he's happy that I got the RP! he's still poisoned and will stay so for two more months.
What about pyridine? it stinks like hell! smells a bit like P and some very strong solvent.

well Woelen, I intend to make both PBr3 and PCl5. including WP

And my Cyclohexanol and t-BuOH are frozen! and my t-BuOH doesn't really smell like my other sample, i'll check when it's liquid.

Cyclohexanol.jpg - 182kBt-BuOH.jpg - 188kB

woelen - 9-5-2013 at 10:53

I also have t-butanol, and indeed, this stuff is frozen most of the time. I have put the bottle in a warm place for some time, such that some of the material became liquid and then I poured that in a small bottle of 50 ml. Now I heat that 50 ml each time when I want to use it and I do not have to handle that large bottle with frozen material all the time.

Mailinmypocket - 9-5-2013 at 11:46

2 kg of lithium hypochlorite from the pool store
~400ml absolute ethanol as a gracious gift from my boss :D

Pyro - 9-5-2013 at 13:48

I thought diamonds sublimed, correct me if im wrong

mayko - 21-5-2013 at 07:21

This has been spread out over the last while, but...

TCCA
Naphthalene
(I want to see if I can make iodonapthalenes with ICl)

Castor oil
( -> azelaic & ricinoleic acids)

Vanillin
Sodium borohydride
( -> vanillic alcohol)

Ethanol (75%?! when did they start watering down everclear?)
Methanol
Methylene chloride (freshly distilled from paint stripper)

My grocery list includes DMSO, TSP, and thiourea dioxide.

Dr.Bob - 21-5-2013 at 07:43

I thought diamonds sublimed, correct me if im wrong

You're wrong. But not really.

Actually, diamonds melt at ~3550°C, with the sublimation point of carbon around 3800°C. And while carbon can "Sublime" in an arc or vacuum, you would likely get back the carbon as graphite unless you have very speciallized equipment. If you heat diamonds in an oxygen atmosphere, they burn just like coal. So it would be hard to actually sublime a diamond and get back a diamond material.

plante1999 - 22-6-2013 at 05:12

800g red phosphorus from a poland ebay seller, 3.5 month shipping...

adamsium - 22-6-2013 at 05:30

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
800g red phosphorus from a poland ebay seller, 3.5 month shipping...

Oh dear. Let's hope for a better outcome than with Pyro's!

I recently got a few new reagents and should have some more on the way very soon. Here's what I just got:

100 g Phenol
60 g Benzamide
100 g Sodium nitrite
50 g Chloroacetic acid
40 g Potassium iodate
25 g Sodium metal
10 g Postassium metal

woelen - 22-6-2013 at 05:35

@plante1999: Please be careful with that red P. You have read about Pyro's experiences and having another young home chemist being the victim of this crap is not fun at all! If your red P has a very strong smell, then you know the risks!
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  15