Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Latest chemical order?

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  15

plante1999 - 22-6-2013 at 05:46

There is no strong smell, and I know why pyro's catched fire. The red phosphorus he send is very pure, probably more than lab reagent grade. It is not stabilized, stabilized phosphorus is somewhat crystalline, and contain small percentage of alkali earth chloride and organic compound, generally 2%

Mine is a very fine flowing powder which leave no residue whatsoever on distillation. I guess it is phosphorus from intermediate step in the plant.

Pyro - 2-9-2013 at 10:08

I just got a pair of L milspec. butyl gloves. 14mil
I kind of paid too much, $32,95 shipping included, but now I have something better than cheap disposables that always tear.
Tomorrow I am going to get some cotton gloves to wear inside them
WP_20130902_008.jpg - 62kB
does anybody else use these? from my (very short) experience it feels like cotton liners are needed. comments?

Bot0nist - 2-9-2013 at 10:42

I use them at work, as they are much more resistant to ketones and solvents (M.E.K. in particular). They hold up good to most anything, including tears and punctures. Cotton underneath would make them much less sticky and wet from sweat after use, and would probably make them more comfertable. I really only use them when im literaly dipping things into solvent with my hands though. They seem a bit bulky for daily use in my home. I use disposable nitriles in the lab for the convenience and dexterity vs. the thicker, more resistant gloves.

mr.crow - 2-9-2013 at 10:57

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
800g red phosphorus from a poland ebay seller, 3.5 month shipping...

Wow, the wait must have been excruciating. Customs would not be happy with that :( Congrats on the awesome element though!

Pyro - 2-9-2013 at 11:03

good, I did choose butyl for its compatibility with what I generally do.
http://www.customadvanced.com/chemical-resistance-chart.html
off to the art shop tomorrow after school for cotton liners, I thought I might need liners, so to test I wore them for about five mins, by then they were already getting kind of slippery from sweat! I like the fact that they reach up your forearms, I tend to get stuff there, so now they protect them.

do you clean them daily? if so, how? soap and water?

Bot0nist - 2-9-2013 at 12:13

Soap and warm water seem to suffice. Sometimes the very solvent I am using them to protect me from if I need to remove the adhesive or paint from them. Might need to pick a cleaner depending on what you get on them.

Mine have held up for a while. They are good quality. I believe I got them from a harbor frieght catalog or something like that from work. They were high, maybe $25 usd or so, so I dont think you overpaid to much.

Mailinmypocket - 2-9-2013 at 12:25

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
800g red phosphorus from a poland ebay seller, 3.5 month shipping...

Wow, the wait must have been excruciating. Customs would not be happy with that :( Congrats on the awesome element though!

Indeed! Any pics of what they shipped it in or what the material looks like?

plante1999 - 2-9-2013 at 12:48

I will take one as soon as possible.

Pyro - 2-9-2013 at 14:37

mailinmypocket. it was most likely shipped in a container like this:

2013-04-10 18.47.46.jpg - 39kB
as was mine. the powder looked like this:

WP_20130815_007.jpg - 83kB

@Bot0nist: thanks, ill see what I get on them, do you work in a lab? what's it like?

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by Pyro]

Bot0nist - 2-9-2013 at 15:08

I work in a greenhouse and nursery that is currently under expansion. Large amounts of different plastics are involved, so I use fairly large amounts of diffrent solvents and adhesives. I also work with the various pesticides, fertilizers, buffers, hormones, etc. I also help run the (semi...)automated misting controls, shades, and under-root heat from the boiler for propagation.

I do have a modest hobby "lab" at home, but work is not a conventional lab at all. Mostly a lot of repetitive work, like snipping thousands of cuttings or "sticking" unrooted cuttings into rooting media. Hence the moniker <b>Bot</b>0nist. I often feel robotic when at work.

I try to use my intrests in chemistry and the scientific method at work when I can though.

edit:
In retrospect, this is all getting rather off topoic. Perhaps more suited for u2u.

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by Bot0nist]

Pyro - 2-9-2013 at 15:12

that sounds pretty cool, more fun than school :D

I always thought it was Bot0nist from botanist.

anyway, thanks!

PeeWee2000 - 2-9-2013 at 15:24

Hey pyro I use gloves similar to that, they arent butyl theyre just plain rubber if i remember correctly but from my experience its much more comfortable when I use liner gloves I'd highly recommend an underglove I personally have some fancy Ansell Barrier gloves. If I remember correctly the undergloves have chemical resistance on par with fluoropolymers so as long as my gloves arent punctured nothing should eat through to my hands :) The only complaint about the gloves that I have is that my arm\hand tends to get quite sweaty after extend periods of wearing them. Other than that I like them much better than disposable loves.

IMG_0987.jpg - 67kB

IMG_0988.jpg - 61kB

Pyro - 3-9-2013 at 03:17

the liner is plastic? that must be uncomfortable! I actually considered using disposables in them to hold sweat, but as they are slightly big cotton would be better.

could it be that those so called liners are supposed to go over the glove to protect it? it looks big enough, the fact that they say ''barrier'' instead of liner and the way they seem to bunch up when you wear them enforces this.

Mine are black inside too, is that a cotton inside that is white like that?

Plutonium239 - 3-9-2013 at 13:44

I ordered 80g of iodine crystals from China. It was about $30. (Do you guys know of a cheaper source?)

I also went to an army-navy store and got some military chemical gloves, but they are too small. :(

Pyro - 3-9-2013 at 13:52

lol, mine are a little too big.

thats about right for elemental I2, KI is a bit cheaper

sonogashira - 3-9-2013 at 21:50

Anyone know a good brand for pure TCCA tablets or granules in the UK? Stabilized sodium dichloro- something seems more prevalent?

UnintentionalChaos - 3-9-2013 at 22:26

Quote: Originally posted by sonogashira  
Anyone know a good brand for pure TCCA tablets or granules in the UK? Stabilized sodium dichloro- something seems more prevalent?

Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate? If you're just generating chlorine gas, it should behave similarly to TCCA, probably reacting more readily and wasting an eq of HCl though. If TCCA is necessary for your purposes, I think that leading Cl2 into a solution of NaDCCA will drop TCCA as a solid. If it's not soluble enough or you lose too much that way, stirring a slurry of powdered NaDCCA in water while adding chlorine until it stops absorbing it should give roughly the same result.

"stabilized" is often thrown in when naming cyanuric acid derivatives for pool use because the cyanuric acid helps keep "chlorine" levels stable in the water.

Here in the US, pool chlorination products generally come as such when you read the label:

"Quick dissolving shock and chlorinating granules"
-Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate
-Calcium Hypochlorite. Rarely above 60%, remainder is probably calcium hydroxide as stabilizer.

"stabilized pool chlorinator tabs"
-almost always TCCA, sometimes with added clarifying agent or algecide like CuSO4. Some brands have unlisted filler of some sort to bring content down to ~90%. Brands I look for list 99%.

"liquid pool chlorinator"
-10% NaOCl

"pool chlorine stabilizer"
-Lists cyanuric acid as only ingredient but it almost surely recycled waste from NaDCCA and TCCA manufacture. I gassed myself with Cl2 by accident upon adding HCl. Product seems to be a mix of partly chlorinated cyanuric acids.

I've had to store shop to find 99% TCCA tabs. some only carry the blended ~90% ones. Some only have NaDCCA products. An 8oz tab goes for like $3 here, sold singularly. They also sell large bulk buckets at significant discount.

sonogashira - 3-9-2013 at 23:34

Thanks for the information. Eventually found some.

[Edited on 4-9-2013 by sonogashira]

woelen - 4-9-2013 at 01:00

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  

-Lists cyanuric acid as only ingredient but it almost surely recycled waste from NaDCCA and TCCA manufacture. I gassed myself with Cl2 by accident upon adding HCl. Product seems to be a mix of partly chlorinated cyanuric acids.

This can very easily be converted to nice and pure crystalline cyanuric acid. Just add the finely ground solid to dilute HCl (10% or so is OK) and boil the liquid until all of the solid has dissolved. It dissolves in hot water quite well. During the boiling process all chlorine is boiled off and what remains is an odorless liquid. If not all of it dissolves in the dilute acid, then add a little more water and bring to a boil again. Keep adding water till all of it dissolves.
Next, allow to cool down. Nice crystals of cyanuric acid will form. These crystals then can be recrystallized another time from an as little as possible amount of boiling hot water. This gives a pure product.

[Edited on 4-9-13 by woelen]

sbbspartan - 4-9-2013 at 17:18

Not really a chemical, but I just won a Welch 1400 vacuum pump on eBay for about $80! Hopefully it will work well for me. It seemed almost new from the pictures...

UnintentionalChaos - 4-9-2013 at 20:32

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  

This can very easily be converted to nice and pure crystalline cyanuric acid. Just add the finely ground solid to dilute HCl (10% or so is OK) and boil the liquid until all of the solid has dissolved. It dissolves in hot water quite well. During the boiling process all chlorine is boiled off and what remains is an odorless liquid. If not all of it dissolves in the dilute acid, then add a little more water and bring to a boil again. Keep adding water till all of it dissolves.
Next, allow to cool down. Nice crystals of cyanuric acid will form. These crystals then can be recrystallized another time from an as little as possible amount of boiling hot water. This gives a pure product.

[Edited on 4-9-13 by woelen]

Yeah, after the Cl2 was gone, this is what I did. As it turns out, cyanuric acid does form a dihydrate, but it dehydrates at a moderate temperature, so heating the crystals to constant weight is probably advisable if you're going to do anything stoichiometric with them.

elementcollector1 - 14-9-2013 at 16:35

Not quite a chemical order, but the glassware is nice!
First up, a high-density polypropylene aspirator pump:

Next, 144 of these ampoules (1 shown outside):

A closeup of 1 ampoule. These things are about 3" long, and are 1mL ampoules.

I'm going to go promptly put as many element samples in these as possible...

Ascaridole - 15-9-2013 at 23:35

2.25kg KHP Analytical Grade
2.5kg of NaOH Analytical Grade

Time to make some secondary standard for some fun titrations! :)

Mailinmypocket - 18-9-2013 at 12:50

Formic acid, toluene and calcium oxide... Nothing terribly exciting but a package at the door is always fun ;)

plante1999 - 20-9-2013 at 15:52

500ml Tert butyl alcohol (mostly for T-Bu inorganic esters and for the chloride)
500g sodium sulfite
500ml cyclohexane (to make cyclohexanol)
500g sulphur
500g anh. sodium acetate ( to make acetic anhydride with the sulphur using chlorine)
500g potassium bromide
100g acetamide

BobD1001 - 21-9-2013 at 10:24

I recently received my order from Elemental along with some glass tubing for various experiments and ampouling. Shipping took quite a long time, about 2 and a half months, however everything was expertly shipped and packaged very well.

Forgot to mention.... I also just received this 50g ingot of Gallium! What a fascinating and amazing metal. Although I quickly found just how "sticky" it is.

[Edited on 21-9-2013 by BobD1001]

ChemSwede - 23-9-2013 at 13:09

I just love these list threads. It's nice to see all the exotic and useful stuff that people acquire.

Here's my latest order, nothing really exotic:
Copper(II)sulfate*5H20, 1kg
Potassium nitrate, 5kg
Potassium perchlorate, 5kg
Calcium carbonate, 1kg
Potassium carbonate, 1kg
Strontium nitrate, 1kg
Sodium thiosulfate, 1kg
Ammonium dichromate, 0,5kg
Potassium dichromate, 0,5kg
Ammonium nitrate, 1kg
Potasium permanganate, 1kg
Sodium nitrate, 1kg
Calcium carbide, 1kg
Calcium chloride anh, 1kg
Hydrogen peroxide 59%, 1L
Antimony trisulfide, 1kg
Perchloric acid 70%, 1L

I'm just getting started with my lab, and I'm in the process of buying different chemicals that I find interesting and useful.
I also want to acquire what I need before our government manages to forbid private persons to buy anything at all. Something as simple as sulfuric acid is forbidden to buy without a permit here in Sweden.
So far I have around 70-80 different chemicals. Plenty more out there.
I really want more organic reagents and different transition metals/their salts.
Red phosphorus is also on my mostwanted-list.

[Edited on 23-9-2013 by ChemSwede]

plante1999 - 23-9-2013 at 13:15

"Something as simple as sulfuric acid is forbidden to buy without a permit here in Sweden. " But 60% peroxide is...

ChemSwede - 23-9-2013 at 15:13

"Something as simple as sulfuric acid is forbidden to buy without a permit here in Sweden. " But 60% peroxide is...

Well, now that you mention it I suppose that needs an explanation.
What I mean is that no company in Sweden sells sulfuric acid to private persons without a permit (which you can't get if you don't have a really good reason), and not 60% peroxide either by the way.
I have bought it from abroad.
Chemicals are hard to obtain from Sweden, because no companies (except a few with pyrotechnic stuff) sell to private persons, and hobby chemistry doesn't exist here, more or less.
Apart from the OTC chemicals I buy from other EU countries.

The_Davster - 23-9-2013 at 16:05

Quote: Originally posted by BobD1001  
I recently received my order from Elemental along with some glass tubing for various experiments and ampouling. Shipping took quite a long time, about 2 and a half months, however everything was expertly shipped and packaged very well.

Their labels are far nicer than they were ~7 years ago!

BobD1001 - 23-9-2013 at 17:51

Quote: Originally posted by The_Davster  
Their labels are far nicer than they were ~7 years ago!

They certainly have an A class operation going there! Their customer service was excellent as well. They have my recommendation for sure.

woelen - 23-9-2013 at 23:42

I ordered 1000 ml of chlorosulfonic acid. This can be used as an excellent extremely acidic solvent for experiments with superacids. For some experiments it can be considered 'poor man's oleum'. With quite a few chemicals it reacts like SO3 while expelling HCl. E.g. with 70% HClO4 it produces HCl and what remains is an anhydrous HClO4/H2SO4 mix, which can be used for certain experiments in which anhydrous HClO4 is needed. These experiments are less dangerous than experiments with pure anhydrous HClO4, the acid is diluted with H2SO4.

One of the things I want to experiment with is NOClO4 and NO2ClO4 and this chemical opens up ways of doing so in a relatively "safe" way.

bfesser - 24-9-2013 at 07:32

Quote: Originally posted by BobD1001  
Forgot to mention.... I also just received this 50g ingot of Gallium! What a fascinating and amazing metal. Although I quickly found just how "sticky" it is.
Is the gallium from the same source?

Mailinmypocket - 24-9-2013 at 09:39

I ordered 1000 ml of chlorosulfonic acid. This can be used as an excellent extremely acidic solvent for experiments with superacids. For some experiments it can be considered 'poor man's oleum'. With quite a few chemicals it reacts like SO3 while expelling HCl. E.g. with 70% HClO4 it produces HCl and what remains is an anhydrous HClO4/H2SO4 mix, which can be used for certain experiments in which anhydrous HClO4 is needed. These experiments are less dangerous than experiments with pure anhydrous HClO4, the acid is diluted with H2SO4.

One of the things I want to experiment with is NOClO4 and NO2ClO4 and this chemical opens up ways of doing so in a relatively "safe" way.

How much did your chlorosulfonic acid end up costing you? A few months back I purchased 500ml @ 60$ Plus hazmat which was an additional 35$!

woelen - 24-9-2013 at 22:49

The acid was not really cheap, it cost me EUR 73, including the price for ADR-compliant shipping.

This stuff, however, still is MUCH cheaper than real oleum. Getting oleum is very hard where I live and the price is outrageous (around EUR 300 per liter). For some experiments, however, it is a useful substitute for oleum.

BobD1001 - 25-9-2013 at 05:02

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
Is the gallium from the same source?

The Gallium I purchased is from Rootometals. It was the most inexpensive source I found online.

bismuthate - 1-10-2013 at 12:07

2lbs of barium nitrate
1g of each actinide element.
that's all, but I plan to make a large order after i get the money (soon)
I plan to order cesium for my element collection :cool:

woelen - 1-10-2013 at 13:11

Quote:
1g of each actinide element.

Actinide? You most likely mean lanthanide. If not, then I would not want to live in the same city as the one where you live :o

The only actinides which might be available for some of us are thorium (half life of 14 billion years) and depleted uranium (half life of nearly 4.5 billion years), the others are insanely radioactive and cannot be handled outside a very well equipped nuclear lab.

[Edited on 1-10-13 by woelen]

DJF90 - 1-10-2013 at 14:16

@Woelen: Have you tried using your chlorosulfonic acid since you bought it? I had the need to use some in a prep at work the other day and I can honestly seen I have not seen anything fume like it. Avoid the use of plasticware because it even turns PP black over a short period. It is one chemical I have wanted to make, yet actually seeing how it behaves in a professional lab makes me reconsider if this is a wise thing to make at home.

bismuthate - 1-10-2013 at 15:04

Woelen sorry i had a stupid moment(i have those) don't worry the only radioctive element i have is samarium, but what about americium i'm? there is minute amounts of that in smoke detectors.
I can't wait to visit the new Biosurplus in massachussets for some glassware.

[Edited on 1-10-2013 by bismuthate]

woelen - 2-10-2013 at 02:45

@DJF90: I did not yet receive the chlorosulfonic acid. I hope to receive it this week or next week. I know it is very corrosive and I hope that it is shipped in a bottle with a good cap, which lasts a long time.

DJF90 - 2-10-2013 at 09:03

In the bottle, it is fine so long as the cap sealed well. Handling it is a different matter entirely. I guess it wasnt used as a smoke agent for nothing, and the violence with which it reacts with water is incredible (I found out by washing residues from the measuring cylinder, even though I attempted to quickly drown it).

woelen - 2-10-2013 at 13:15

I am looking forward to receive this chemical. I know how extremely violent some chemicals can react with water. I have seen the reaction of 65% oleum with water and this reaction also is amazingly violent. Sodium plus water or even potassium plus water is tame, when compared with oleum and water. I expect the chlorosulfonic acid to be only a little bit less violent with water.

woelen - 23-10-2013 at 10:10

I ordered 1000 ml of chlorosulfonic acid. [...]
Unfortunately this could not be delivered to me. Apparently, new regulations (REACH) have become effective in the Netherlands and this chemical cannot be purchased anymore, unless you can fulfill the required paperwork :( . Only certain research labs and large institutions can fullfil the paperwork.

Pyro - 23-10-2013 at 11:57

That's a bummer! did you get your money back at least?

TheChemiKid - 23-10-2013 at 13:47

500ml Tert butyl alcohol (mostly for T-Bu inorganic esters and for the chloride)

Where did you get this? How much did it cost. I really want some tertiary alcohol (might do a grignard).

plante1999 - 23-10-2013 at 13:54

Newhorizon scientific. It was about 30$ but the shipping was absurd (35$) at least it was for a few item. If you only want a small amount of it and are ready to pay for the shipping U2U me.

TheChemiKid - 23-10-2013 at 13:57

Awesome, I will try to see whether I can order it some time soon.

plante1999 - 23-10-2013 at 14:05

They are in Canada by the way, and I am too, I don't even want to know the shipping price to US ha ha.

TheChemiKid - 23-10-2013 at 14:08

Oh :(
I will investigate that.
EDIT: hmmm, they don't seem to ship to america, or any country besides canada that is. Could you try to see how much it would cost you to ship it?

[Edited on 23-10-2013 by TheChemiKid]

woelen - 23-10-2013 at 22:39

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro  
That's a bummer! did you get your money back at least?
Getting the money back will not be a problem, I have a good relation with the seller. The seller places a backorder at one of the big companies and that company is not allowed to sell it without the paperwork. They have to adhere to restrictions, specified in the REACH-regulations, which btw. are EU-wide. More than 1000 chemicals are restricted, some are strongly restricted, in such a way that hardly nobody can obtain them, others only are restricted for use in specific consumer applications. It is a real pain in the ass for a supplier to know all these regulations.

watson.fawkes - 24-10-2013 at 05:21

They have to adhere to restrictions, specified in the REACH-regulations, which btw. are EU-wide. More than 1000 chemicals are restricted, some are strongly restricted, in such a way that hardly nobody can obtain them, others only are restricted for use in specific consumer applications.
I looked for this list. It seems to be Annex XVII, "Restrictions on dangerous substances, preparations and articles being placed on the market". (See this.) Chlorosulfonic acid doesn't seem to be on it, either by that name or its CAS number 7790-94-5. It's not in Annex XIV, the "Authorization List", substances soon to be restricted (although it does include a number a chromates).

Found it. It seems to be a "registered substance". See here, which has it as a "pre-registered substance". From what I can tell, it's not on one of the restriction lists, but rather requires tracking manufacture (at least, possibly sales). It seems possible that the paperwork somewhere along the line is not yet completed, or that the particular manufacturer dropped the product because of regulatory load. (Regulations such as these favor large suppliers and create a trend toward more a more concentrated manufacturing sector.)

To find the EU data, start at http://echa.europa.eu/search-chemicals. Type in an identifier (the CAS # above worked), and follow the results. With this, I found manufacturers:

Lambda-Eyde - 24-10-2013 at 05:28

That really sucks, woelen. I would have loved to see your experiments with that stuff. If you ever roadtrip through Norway once, hit me up and I'll see if I can get it for you. :) I won't however risk shipping it abroad for several reasons.

Edit: And watson, as always you impress with your borderline-OCD way of finding and neatly presenting information. Your posts are always a joy to read. :)

Quote: Originally posted by TheChemiKid  
Oh :(
I will investigate that.
EDIT: hmmm, they don't seem to ship to america, or any country besides canada that is. Could you try to see how much it would cost you to ship it?

Dude. 30$ for the chemical, 35$ to ship it to Plante, 30-60$ to ship it to you? Half a liter of t-butanol really isn't worth over 100$. It's not that hard to get. Check out Elemental Scientific or eBay.

[Edited on 24-10-2013 by Lambda-Eyde]

Pyro - 24-10-2013 at 06:39

cool, I live 5km from: PVS Chemicals Belgium Pantserschipstraat 80, 9000, Gent, Belgium
Woelen, want me to break in and steal some? :D
But maybe one can buy it OTC if one lists their intent for it as a home chemist (too good to be true, but maybe worth a shot)

I investigated the location, It's right next to Manuport, our very good friend (Woelen, he drove me out to our meeting place) is the former owner of Manuport. He might be able to do something..
We often ''walk'' (actually drive around in the jeep or motorbike) by there, it smells fishy! (see what did there? :D)

[Edited on 24-10-2013 by Pyro]

watson.fawkes - 25-10-2013 at 07:10

Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  
watson, as always you impress with your borderline-OCD way of finding and neatly presenting information. Your posts are always a joy to read.
Thank you.

I was curious about the regulations. While they're not identical to those in the USA, they have similar overall outlines. There's prohibition vs. licensing vs. reporting. There are shipping and labelling regulations. Etc. I've seen USA regulation discussed more here, and I think it would a good idea to have more discussion on EU regulation.

Lambda-Eyde - 25-10-2013 at 17:00

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
I was curious about the regulations. While they're not identical to those in the USA, they have similar overall outlines. There's prohibition vs. licensing vs. reporting. There are shipping and labelling regulations. Etc. I've seen USA regulation discussed more here, and I think it would a good idea to have more discussion on EU regulation.

I think some of the reasons for this are:

1) USA is a country, while the European Union is not. The EU has 28 member states, and a few others are affected through the EEA treaty among other agreements. The USA has considerably more influence on and more in-depth laws and regulations imposed on its "member states". It is not until recently (I believe) that chemical legislation (as REACH) has fallen in under EU law. Then you also have all the European countries that are not EU members (about 20?) and not affected by its legislation. Thus, Europe is more diverse in its laws and regulations concerning chemicals, both in scope and enforcement - so "EU regulation" is a wide field. (This has to be kept in mind when reading the other arguments as well)

2) Europe hasn't had a methamphetamine "epidemic" like the US, where hundreds of clandestine labs have been uncovered a month. Drug production is far less centralized and smaller-scale when it comes to the US methamphetamine market. Methamphetamine isn't a very popular street drug in most of Europe unlike some parts of the US. My impression is that (other than cannabis) amphetamine, "ecstacy", MDMA and heroin are more popular over here. Why this is I don't know, but I hypothesize that the easy availability of pseudoephedrine and its easy conversion to methamphetamine is an important factor. Combine an easy-to-get drug and a poor population, and you get situations like these. (Like "Krokodil" in Russia, which is slowly creeping further west)

3) Home chemists in Europe seem to be left alone (except for a large raid in Germany a few years ago, IIRC) because of this - private persons buying lab equipment and not-that-suspicious chemicals aren't interesting in the war on drugs/terrorism. While there have been several cases in the US of genuine amateur chemists being screwed over by the law.

As for transportation regulations in Europe, this is governed by the ADR/RID regulations: http://www.unece.org/trans/danger/publi/adr/adr2011/11Conten...

[Edited on 26-10-2013 by Lambda-Eyde]

Pyro - 29-10-2013 at 15:45

I just got my stuff from stoichiometric steve. We all love pics, so here goes:

Calcium carbonate.jpg - 59kB
Calcium Carbonate 500g

Copper sulfate 2.jpg - 64kBCopper sulfate.jpg - 66kB
Copper sulfate 1000g

Hydroquinone.jpg - 58kB
Hydroquinone 100g

Mercury dichloride.jpg - 57kB
Mercury dichloride 10g

Molybdenum trioxide.jpg - 59kB
Molybdenum trioxide 100g

Nickel dicloride.jpg - 59kB
Nickel dichloride 250g

opper chloride.jpg - 58kB
Copper dichloride 250g

Urea.jpg - 63kB
Urea 25g

Potasium fluoride.jpg - 60kB
Potassium fluoride 250g

Pyro - 29-10-2013 at 16:29

Sodium2.jpg - 65kBSodium.jpg - 67kB
Sodium 110g

Strychnine nitrate.jpg - 66kB
Strychnine nitrate 10g

Weighing boat.jpg - 72kB
A glass weighing boat, a few plastic jars and a tiny mortar and pestle
Gas washing bottle.jpg - 76kB
A 500ml DURAN gas washing bottle, brand new with fritted bubbler

Glass vials.jpg - 74kB
72 glass vials for storage of small samples

DURAN bottles.jpg - 80kB
A few DURAN bottles and evaporating dish

that's all. now I can do some truly interesting experiments!

chemrox - 29-10-2013 at 16:50

Cs2CO3
DCFC silica 60
I like the low electronegativity for neutralizations in the hopper.

blargish - 6-11-2013 at 16:48

Hasn't arrived yet, but...

Sodium Sulfate, anh - 500 g
Sodium Thiosulfate 5-hydrate - 500 g
Potassium Dichromate - 100 g
Chromium Trioxide - 500 g
Potassium Permanganate - 500 g
Nitric Acid 70% ACS - 500 mL
Perchloric Acid 70% ACS - 500 mL

Super stoked! :D Found a new chem supplier based in my city, so chems for days!

bismuthate - 6-11-2013 at 17:03

:D I just got a 20g sample of gallium :D
I also got 2.5 five liters of nitric acid for my birthday quite a while ago (enough to last many years). You should have seen my parent's faces when I asked for it.
blargish where did you order your chemicals?

blargish - 6-11-2013 at 18:16

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  

blargish where did you order your chemicals?

alphachem.ca

They are based in Toronto, so I can just drop by and pick up the chemicals without shipping charges. They sell an insanely wide variety of reagents compared to any other canadian company I've seen. Kinda expensive, but the best source I've come across for myself. I don't think they charge hazmat fees for anything.

bismuthate - 6-11-2013 at 18:27

Thank you so much!
I looked them up and ther's one in my area!
That being said I might be visiting to see what it's like.

blargish - 6-11-2013 at 18:37

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
Thank you so much!
I looked them up and ther's one in my area!
That being said I might be visiting to see what it's like.

No problem :)
This is my first time ordering from alphachem.
I usually order from Prolab Scientific, and although their products are top quality, their selection is somewhat limited, and I have to pay a shipping charge. Alphachem is somewhat pricey, but their selection is unreal

[Edited on 8-11-2013 by blargish]

Pyro - 9-11-2013 at 13:40

Not chems, but stuff from a glassblower.
about 15m of 7mm OD borosilicate glass tubing for 4eur
WP_20131109_002.jpg - 114kB

and 2 reparations. he stuck a new joint on my 1l sep funnel and fixed the sidearm on my addition funnel for 25 eur.

WP_20131109_003.jpg - 219kB WP_20131109_004.jpg - 207kB

[Edited on 9-11-2013 by Pyro]

Praxichys - 11-11-2013 at 10:08

- 2kg KOH, to replenish my stock (Dudadiesel on Ebay)
- 1 gallon of nitromethane, (Torco brand from Amazon.com)
- 1 gallon of 37% formaldehyde in 10% MeOH, (The Science Company on Ebay)
- Pipette bulb (Scientific Equipment of Houston on Amazon)
- More test tubes (I keep accidentally destroying them), (Carolina Biological)
- 5 troy oz bar of .999 Ag metal for AgNO3 (Ebay)
- 3x 24/40 gas adapter for more efficient (less "rigged") gas generator (Ctech Glass)
- 2x 24/40 thermometer inlets, also for above generator (Ctech Glass)
- 10m 6mm borosilicate tubing for above generator (Cynmar)

EDIT: Also ~250g sodium azide from an undisclosed foreign contact.

[Edited on 11-11-2013 by Praxichys]

mr.crow - 17-11-2013 at 10:45

I got another 3kg container of NaOH from the hardware store :)

I use tons of it as a desiccant. All my chemicals are packed away in plastic boxes with open jars of NaOH to keep them dry and absorb acid fumes.

Mailinmypocket - 17-11-2013 at 10:56

A few neat items :)

Sodium sulfide
Acetamide

And for tormenting my house plants,

image.jpg - 62kB

Apparently a 200ppm solution is what can be sprayed on adult plants, has anyone here experimented with gibberellic acid?

blargish - 18-11-2013 at 15:25

My dad went out to pick up the order that I had placed a couple weeks ago, and when I got home from school, these were waiting for me :D

IMG_0401.jpg - 52kB IMG_0403.jpg - 62kB

IMG_0398.jpg - 43kB IMG_0399.jpg - 53kB

IMG_0409.jpg - 128kB IMG_0400.jpg - 94kB

[Edited on 18-11-2013 by blargish]

mr.crow - 18-11-2013 at 20:15

Congrats! Yummy, perchloric acid

Ascaridole - 20-11-2013 at 14:30

2.5kg of Anhydrous Sodium Sulfate and 500mL of Glacial Acetic Acid from Macron

Time for some reaction workup!

[Edited on 20-11-2013 by Ascaridole]

reagents1.jpg - 43kB

kmno4 - 21-11-2013 at 15:52

Recently, I have ordered (from local supplier) very interesting reagent. I have received my parcel with some shyness and doubt....
....open the bottle... and my nose almost exploded. That is the odour !!
500 ml of acetyl acetate, almost for free (15 euros).
:P

prof_genius - 22-11-2013 at 08:09

This summer when I was in Poland I went to this chem store in warsaw and bought a lot of chemicals, then we loaded them into the car and went to the netherlands. We got them home safely. :) I do recommend looking for a local chem store if you are in Poland.

blargish - 23-11-2013 at 12:56

After a quick stop at Canadian Tire...

Calcium Hypochlorite - 1kg
Tichloroisocyanuric acid - 1kg (says it's 100% pure)
Acetone - 1L
Methyl Ethyl Ketone - 1L
Sodium Hypochlorite 11% - 4L
Hydrochloric acid 31.45% - 1L

I also saw a product in the pool section called Aquarius Flush that claimed to be 60% phosphoric acid. Does anyone know whether this would even be useful as a source of phosphoric acid? It seemed to by dyed pink.

Mailinmypocket - 23-11-2013 at 13:00

You get MEK at Canadian tire!? What province are you in? I need to go to a special supplier for that

blargish - 23-11-2013 at 13:01

Ontario... I asked the guy at Canadian Tire and found some in the back. Apparently they don't put it on the shelf anymore. I did, however, buy a litre of it off the shelf at a Home Depot

[Edited on 23-11-2013 by blargish]

sbbspartan - 23-11-2013 at 17:13

@Mailinmypocket

Down here in Minnesota, I can usually find MEK in the solvents section of local hardware stores fairly easily.

From Elemental Scientific:

acetic anhydride,
aluminum potassium sulfate
ammonium biflouride
ammonium dichromate
sodium silicate
cadmium metal
calcium fluoride
camphor
chromium metal
phthalic anhydride
salicylic acid
nitric acid
various bottles and supplies

Pyro - 6-12-2013 at 12:34

not really chemical, but lab related.

Vogel.jpg - 143kB

I got the PDF online and then got it printed and bound for a mere 36EUR. now I don't need to fool around with those irritating PDF's

Zephyr - 6-12-2013 at 19:11

my last chemical order:

2g tellurium metal
100g phthalic anhydride
20g rescourcinol
25g silver carbonate
50g barium nitrate
500ml formic acid
100ml Pyridine
50ml benzene
100g sodium sulfate
25g Lithium Hydride
30g silicon powder

Pyro - 7-12-2013 at 14:06

just stopped by the pharmacy to get some diethyl ether.
19.80 EUR for 1l.

It is however not dry, so you need to either put Na in it or redistill it.
WP_20131207_004.jpg - 99kB

they will also sell CHCl3 OTC, but it's 80EUR/l or 30EUR for 250ml

elementcollector1 - 7-12-2013 at 14:16

Quote: Originally posted by Pinkhippo11  
my last chemical order:

2g tellurium metal

Source?

ChemSwede - 10-12-2013 at 10:30

My last order arrived a week ago:

Magnesiumpowder, 1kg
Potassium bromide, 500g - will be used to isolate bromine
Urea, 500g
Red phosphorus, 1kg

Plus various glassware from a chinese Ebay-seller.

Pyro - 27-12-2013 at 18:24

I had an OTC frenzy.
5l acetone
5l MeOH
5l 23% HCl (For cleaning)
5l of NaOCl to titrate (2,5%) to make CHCl3 (0.90eur/5l. I am going to need about 150l to get a bit over a liter of CHCl3 for 45 eur!)

and from the gouden pluim:
1Kg anh. AlCl3
WP_20131226_004.jpg - 118kB
1Kg urea
100g Na2S2O3
2l 37% HCl

[Edited on 28-12-2013 by Pyro]

Zyklon-A - 6-1-2014 at 13:44

From Skylighter:
2lbs Potassium Perchlorate,
1lb Potassium Chlorate,
1lb Barium Nitrate Powder,
1lb Strontium Nitrate,
5lbs Al powder 1200 mesh,
65ft Cross-Match Visco Fuse.

From Elemental Scientific:
Acetic anhydride,
More Al powder,
98%Sulfuric acid,
35%H2O2,
More Potassium Chlorate,
More Potassium Perchlorate.

hyfalcon - 16-1-2014 at 04:27

Latest from Alpha Chemical:

50 Pounds - Red Iron Oxide

10 Pounds - Citric Acid - Anhydrous

50 Pounds - Potassium Sulfate (Sulfate of Potash)

55 Pounds - Anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate

50 Pounds - Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate

5 Pound Aluminum Powder - 30 Micron

I've got plenty if anyone needs some. U2U me if interested. I can beat Skylighter's prices to pieces. Aluminum is for the next round of thermite experiments.

Zyklon-A - 16-1-2014 at 06:16

I got my Al powder for free from skylighter, they had a deal where if you spent $60 they would give you 5lbs Al free! Money well spent.

woelen - 17-1-2014 at 00:04

From a Polish eBay seller:
- ethanol amine: NH2CH2CH2OH, a colorless liquid, somewhat more viscous, like water
- diethanol amine: NH(CH2CH2OH)2, a colorless liquid, a little more viscous than conc. H2SO4
- triethanol amine: N(CH2CH2OH)3, a colorless liquid, extremely viscous, like a syrup.
- propionyl chloride
- dimethylformamide

The ethanol amines I want to use in ester-experiments with nitrous acid and maybe some other acids as well. The propionyl chloride I purchased, because I could. It most likely is a one-time occasion, which I could not let go by.
The dimethylformamide is said to be useful in making dimethylamine. I tried that already with NaOH and water, but the reaction is not as smooth as I hoped. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

blargish - 20-1-2014 at 15:32

Dropped by Canadian Tire to pick up some standard stuff.

1L Methanol
1kg Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate
450g Sodium Hydroxide
400g Trisodium Phosphate
1kg Calcium Chloride Anhydrous

Also, this Rust Remover that claims to be 30-60% Sodium Dithionite and 40-70% Sodium Metabisulfite

Zyklon-A - 20-1-2014 at 15:38

Dang, Calcium Chloride Anhydrous is rather expensive, ~$25.23 for 100 grams=$250 for 1Kg

blargish - 20-1-2014 at 15:40

I got mine for about $15 as a dehumidifier refill.

Consultation with the MSDS says that it's practically pure Calcium Chloride.

[Edited on 20-1-2014 by blargish]

Zyklon-A - 20-1-2014 at 15:42

$15 for 1Kg, that's a great price.... I guess it's a lot more expensive for the 'lab grade stuff'.

woelen - 20-1-2014 at 23:49

I indeed buy anhydrous CaCl2 by the kilo in a hardware store, for just a few euros per kilo. It is good enough for drying purposes and for basic experiments with calcium salts. Solutions of it are somewhat opalescent, but if I want to experiment with that, I dissolve some in water and set it aside. The next day, there is a perfectly clear colorless solution above a thin layer of pale brown solid matter. With a syringe I carefully suck away the clear liquid and the last 10% or so I discard (this can be done, because it is so cheap).

sasan - 23-2-2014 at 02:57

I recently purchased 2/5L of teterachloroethylene C2Cl4 for solving iodine and trying to solve sulfur too
1Kg of K2HPO4 merck and 1Kg of russian Cr(OH)3 to produce chromium compounds

Mailinmypocket - 23-2-2014 at 06:07

I was recently given around 500g or resorcinol and a bottle of "potassium bromide salt". This was from another home chemist who was getting rid of their stuff. I thought the "potassium bromide salt" was KBr but it most obviously isn't. Upon adding some ~50% H2SO4 there is an immediate production of bromine fumes and after a few minutes there is a large blob of elemental bromine accumulated under the undissolved salt. What could this stuff be? BCDMH?

This person has severe chemical labeling issues apparently.

[Edited on 23-2-2014 by Mailinmypocket]

plante1999 - 23-2-2014 at 06:32

Maybe potassium bromate? or bromate and bromide salt mix?

I'm not too good at putting label too, I would have to be there if someone was to get my chem, else then that, about 15% would be unlabeled. I generally put label in the summer, and in the winter I write the molecualr formula on the bottle.

Metacelsus - 23-2-2014 at 06:34

I would guess they reacted bromine with potassium hydroxide, producing a mixture of bromide and bromate. Acidification of this mixture will produce bromine.

Mailinmypocket - 23-2-2014 at 07:06

That could be, but the amount is ridiculous, something like 3 kilos... ThTs a lot of bromine to waste- or dispose of I guess. Also, it is not of "salt" consistency like the reagent grade KBr I have, it is a very fine powder clumped together reminiscent of corn starch but denser.

forgottenpassword - 23-2-2014 at 09:44

Sulphuric acid can oxidize bromide to bromine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkTu7yKSyzg

Mailinmypocket - 23-2-2014 at 10:29

I shall take photos later to demonstrate the difference. When a spatula of KBr is added to one test tube and a spatula of this unknown material is added to another, 4ml water added to each and then 4-5 drops concentrated sulfuric acid added to each there is a clear difference. The liquid in the KBr tube becomes orange, and that's about it. The other tube however becomes orange and then quickly the air in the tube becomes orange with Br vapor and eventually a drop of Br forms.

I read about BCDMH and it states that it has a slightly acetone odor, this stuff does. I think it may be that...

Metacelsus - 23-2-2014 at 14:23

Try dissolving it in an organic solvent.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  15