Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Latest chemical order?

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  15

j_sum1 - 20-12-2016 at 00:23

I acquired a jar of hydroquinone. Maybe 500g. What can be done with it?

PeterC - 20-12-2016 at 00:49

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

You could do some hydroquinone dye chemistry or make and develop your own silver halide paper.

JJay - 20-12-2016 at 09:29

It's an easy target for Friedel-Crafts alkylations. It's also used extensively in amateur photography, but I'm not exactly sure what for.

Texium - 20-12-2016 at 10:16

Kind of a minor use for it, but if you ever make styrene it can be used in trace amounts as a preservative to prevent repolymerization.

JJay - 20-12-2016 at 11:06

I actually didn't know that, but I've been collecting polystyrene for that very purpose.

PirateDocBrown - 20-12-2016 at 11:42

Hydroquinone is an excellent free-radical scavenger!

PeterC - 20-12-2016 at 13:42

Today I got:
8 KI 16.601g Fiksanals (or Fixanals if you're American)
5g Methyl Orange
5g Eriochrome T Black
5g Fluorescein
25g Cobalt (II) Sulfate Heptahydrate
1g Congo Red

[Edited on 20-12-2016 by PeterC]

PeterC - 27-12-2016 at 09:36

Today's Acquisitions:

ChemPur:
Sodium Sulfate Anhydrous 500g
Sodium Metabisulfite 1kg
Potassium Carbonate Anhyd. 500g
Sodium Tetraborate tech. 1kg
Ethylene Glycol 1L

Stanlab:
Sulfuric Acid 96% 1L
Nitric Acid 65% 1L

WarChem:
Boric Acid 500g
Tri-Calcium Phosphate 2x250g
Sodium Sulfite 2x250g
Potassium Chlorate 250g
Ammonium Chloride 100g
Ammonium Fluoride 50g
Chromium Trioxide 100g
Strontium Nitrate 100g
Diethyl Ether 250ml
Benzene 100ml
Pyridine 100ml

[Edited on 27-12-2016 by PeterC]

Schleimsäure - 10-1-2017 at 15:15

Methylamine HCl 250g
Diethyl Malonate 250 ml
Propiophenone 250 ml
Bromobenzene 250 ml
GAA 2,5l
Catechol 250g
1,2 Dichlorobenzene 400ml
n-Butylamine 100ml
Cycloheyxylamine 100ml

JJay - 10-1-2017 at 19:14

Wow! Apparently, you can buy whatever you want in Germany.

I just picked up some sodium hypochlorite and acetic acid, both dilute solutions, as well as distilled water.

Schleimsäure - 11-1-2017 at 03:12

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Wow! Apparently, you can buy whatever you want in Germany.

I just picked up some sodium hypochlorite and acetic acid, both dilute solutions, as well as distilled water.

Nah, that would be a wrong impression. Many reagents restricted/watched in the US you can have without paperwork indeed, like Red P, iodine, methylamine etc.

But everything toxic you can't receive by mail. Cyanide, Arsenic salts, Benzene is nearly impossible to get as a private person without connections or "special sources".
Also there is only two onlineshops left who sell to private individuals.
These are way overpriced, and NaBH for example you would have to collect at the warehouse after filling out some paperwork, it is T, so no postage to individuals. Problem, when the physical location is 400 km's away.
Poland is much better ... and cheaper. And not too far away from Berlin where I live :)

JJay - 11-1-2017 at 08:40

Benzene isn't that hard to obtain in the U.S., although a lot of chemical suppliers will refuse to provide it to individuals. It's easy to make, though.

I think you can obtain red phosphorus, iodine and methylamine in the U.S.A. without paperwork as well, but it's technically illegal, and I think doing so could lead to problems for the hobby chemist. Sodium borohydride is pretty easy to obtain here too and totally legal. Most toxic compounds can be transported by ground transportation but not by air.

Schleimsäure - 12-1-2017 at 14:35

Benzene isn't that hard to obtain in the U.S., although a lot of chemical suppliers will refuse to provide it to individuals. It's easy to make, though.

I think you can obtain red phosphorus, iodine and methylamine in the U.S.A. without paperwork as well, but it's technically illegal, and I think doing so could lead to problems for the hobby chemist. Sodium borohydride is pretty easy to obtain here too and totally legal. Most toxic compounds can be transported by ground transportation but not by air.

Indeed it is quite strange. Some reagents you are getting hold of better in the US, others in Germany. And the other way round.

50 years ago it was no problem in the US neither in Germany. You got essentially everthing in both nations. Sad times.

Db33 - 14-1-2017 at 07:42

i have a package being sent from another country, it is not of any drugs or listed chemicals so im not sure if its normal but the USPS tracking number says that it was Inbound into Customs. Is that normal?? Right below that it says Inbound Out of customs so maybe its reversed and it actually left customs but was there briefly.

JJay - 14-1-2017 at 09:12

I've never actually had a package seized by customs, and I've imported several dozen packages. I've never actually tried importing any contraband. Sometimes they do extra inspections, so you'll see "inbound into customs." When they are doing ordinary inspections, you'll see "arrival at sorting center." Usually, it's not in the inspection area for very long, but their random inspection selection depends on a variety of factors, including (I believe) how much trouble they expect with that exporter.

If they suspect that a substance you are importing might be contraband, they may have an analysis performed on it. To my knowledge, I've only ever had that happen once with anything I was importing. It wasn't contraband, and they provided me with a copy of the analysis.

Unfortunately, items that go through "customs" are more likely to arrive broken. If they are mislabeled or shipped improperly, they are likely to be in customs for longer. I've seen packages in customs for up to six weeks, but usually, they are there for a few days.

brubei - 14-1-2017 at 09:33

Quote: Originally posted by Schleimsäure  
Methylamine HCl 250g
Diethyl Malonate 250 ml
Propiophenone 250 ml
Bromobenzene 250 ml
GAA 2,5l
Catechol 250g
1,2 Dichlorobenzene 400ml
n-Butylamine 100ml
Cycloheyxylamine 100ml
you forgot CH2Br2

Schleimsäure - 14-1-2017 at 13:38

[/rquote]you forgot CH2Br2[/rquote]

Why is that?

Actually the shop has it, but they want EUR 43 for 250ml which I would not pay.

JJay - 29-1-2017 at 19:45

Bromothymol blue, for titrations. I'm trying to figure out why phenolphthalein is so popular....

j_sum1 - 29-1-2017 at 21:13

Bromothymol blue, for titrations. I'm trying to figure out why phenolphthalein is so popular....

Well, that one is easy. Phenolphthalein is such an intense colour and shows a very sudden change. You can detect a tinge of pink appearing a whole lot more easily than a change from yellow to blue. Granted, the change for bromothymol blue occurs closer to neutrality: (pH 6.0-7.6 compared with 8.3-10.0 for phenolphthalein). But if you are titrating against a strong base (which is pretty common) that difference hardly matters.

I am a believer in having a few different indicators. (If only because some of them are cool compounds.) But the one I use most often is phenolphthalein.

JJay - 29-1-2017 at 22:03

Well, that one is easy. Phenolphthalein is such an intense colour and shows a very sudden change. You can detect a tinge of pink appearing a whole lot more easily than a change from yellow to blue. Granted, the change for bromothymol blue occurs closer to neutrality: (pH 6.0-7.6 compared with 8.3-10.0 for phenolphthalein). But if you are titrating against a strong base (which is pretty common) that difference hardly matters.

I am a believer in having a few different indicators. (If only because some of them are cool compounds.) But the one I use most often is phenolphthalein.

That seems reasonable. Phenolphthalein is actually the only indicator I have right now aside from universal pH paper (which I also just ordered, 400 strips)... I definitely would like to have some others.

gdflp - 30-1-2017 at 05:15

This is definitely the reason for the popularity of phenolphthalein in teaching labs. If you think bromothymol blue is bad, try methyl orange. It's nearly impossible to tell when you're at the equivalence point without a spectrometer.

ave369 - 31-1-2017 at 08:50

My last chemical purchase is a 5 liter jerrycan of 95% ethanol. It wasn't really an order, it was a black market purchase from a factory.

Morgan - 3-2-2017 at 16:55

My latest purchase - 5 gallons of methanol at $4.50 a gallon or $22.50 plus 7.5% sales tax.

Praxichys - 6-2-2017 at 06:06

250g Butylated hydroxytoluene
1 liter benzyl alcohol, USP
1 liter acetonitrile
1 liter cyclohexane
500g sodium fluoride
152g raw orpimement from Peru
1 liter dimethylformamide
1 gallon 93% sulfuric acid
1 lb silica flour
2 lb sodium hexametaphosphate

JJay - 7-2-2017 at 13:05

30% hydrogen peroxide. I am about to lose my piranha virginity. I guess it's like getting married?

Edit: misspelled piranha

[Edited on 7-2-2017 by JJay]

Melgar - 7-2-2017 at 14:56

30% hydrogen peroxide. I am about to lose my pirannah virginity. I guess it's like getting married?

Base piranha is underrated, in my opinion. It evaporates if you accidentally spill a few drops of it and if you get it on your skin, it stings, but probably less than 30% H2O2 by itself. It also leaves the white peroxide marks for a few minutes. Reason being, base piranha needs to be around the H2O2 thermal decomposition temperature to work. The ammonia seems to have the effect of reducing the likelihood of thermal runaway though, as opposed to acid piranha that has been known to explode, and can transition to thermal runaway very quickly.

Maybe try for third base before losing it? ;)

JJay - 7-2-2017 at 15:04

No, I'm going all the way :) I have a really filthy Graham condenser that I'd prefer not to have to replace. Cleaning it calls for extreme measures. If piranha doesn't work, I'll be posting pictures of my new Graham condenser pretty soon.

tsathoggua1 - 9-2-2017 at 09:01

2kg phosphorus (red)
100g cinnamyl chloride
100ml n-butyric anhydride
20g Li metal, or may have been 25g
500g iodine
5g 3-fluoro-4-(1,1-difluoromethoxy)-5-methoxybenzaldehyde
250g n-dodecanethiol
500ml SOCl2
1l nitroethane
Couple of welding-size argon cylinders and 1 of CO2
2l 98% H2SO4
(unsure of the weight, came from a pet store) bottle of methylene blue solution)
500ml conc. HCOOH

And not bought, but a script from my dr. for KMnO4. Needed a portion of one tablet for my foot, to bathe it in, but given a few pots. I am not going to turn that down. In fact I'm going to shoot for getting it on repeat:D

Not too familiar with base piranha, never used it. But with the acid version make sure there are no organics left. It'll oxidize inorganic carbon to CO2 and there is the potential (probability?) for anything but the tiniest traces of organics to result in a nasty explosion. Not a pretty thing to be covered by conc. H2SO4 and H2O2:o

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by tsathoggua1]

Db33 - 13-2-2017 at 15:46

I was at ACE hardware looking around because they are the only store in the area that has Toluene. While i was there i also got pure Citric Acid and noticed that they sell pure ethyl Acetate. Im considering buying it. its about $9 per Liter. I dont have a specific use for it but from what i recall its a very useful chemical to have.

For those that are interested its actually in the paint thinner section its called Klean Strip M.E.K. Substitute.

Geocachmaster - 13-2-2017 at 16:30

@Db33 I thought that Klean Strip M.E.K. substitute wasn't sold anymore. In fact, Klean Strip's website has it on the discontinued page, as the 12th item. I checked Ace's website as well and I could not find it there either. Did they just start selling it again?

JJay - 13-2-2017 at 16:52

I had thought they banned ethyl acetate for sale in some states (for reasons that I don't claim to know or understand)... I do know that I've seen Rust Remover, Rust Converter and TSP Substitute on shelves recently. I'm guessing that these are products that don't sell very well, and for that reason, a lot of places still have stocks of them.

I distilled some ethyl acetate from nail polish remover one time, but I think some additional purification steps were required... I don't remember offhand.

gdflp - 13-2-2017 at 17:14

I had thought they banned ethyl acetate for sale in some states (for reasons that I don't claim to know or understand)... I do know that I've seen Rust Remover, Rust Converter and TSP Substitute on shelves recently. I'm guessing that these are products that don't sell very well, and for that reason, a lot of places still have stocks of them.

I distilled some ethyl acetate from nail polish remover one time, but I think some additional purification steps were required... I don't remember offhand.
I believe that it was actually due to MEK getting banned from commercial use a while ago. When the regulations on MEK got eased recently, Kleen Strip stopped manufacturing the MEK substitute. Probably either because MEK is cheaper than EtOAc or MEK is the superior solvent in the intended use(or both, I'm not sure). I saw a good 20 1L cans of MEK substitute sitting on the shelf at my local ACE a couple days ago, so they must still have pretty good stock on it though.

JJay - 13-2-2017 at 17:24

That makes sense... I usually just buy acetone and have never actually used MEK for anything, so IDK.

Cryolite. - 13-2-2017 at 17:41

Quote: Originally posted by tsathoggua1  
2kg phosphorus (red)
100g cinnamyl chloride
500g iodine
250g n-dodecanethiol
500ml SOCl2
1l nitroethane
2l 98% H2SO4
(unsure of the weight, came from a pet store) bottle of methylene blue solution)
500ml conc. HCOOH

And not bought, but a script from my dr. for KMnO4. Needed a portion of one tablet for my foot, to bathe it in, but given a few pots. I am not going to turn that down. In fact I'm going to shoot for getting it on repeat:D

Not too familiar with base piranha, never used it. But with the acid version make sure there are no organics left. It'll oxidize inorganic carbon to CO2 and there is the potential (probability?) for anything but the tiniest traces of organics to result in a nasty explosion. Not a pretty thing to be covered by conc. H2SO4 and H2O2:o

Where do you drug chemists get such quantities of phosphorus and nitroethane? :o

Db33 - 13-2-2017 at 20:01

Quote: Originally posted by Geocachmaster  
@Db33 I thought that Klean Strip M.E.K. substitute wasn't sold anymore. In fact, Klean Strip's website has it on the discontinued page, as the 12th item. I checked Ace's website as well and I could not find it there either. Did they just start selling it again?

ill take a photo of it, its still on the shelves here but youre right, it does appear to be being replaced by the old MEK. i might as well get a few bottles while its still here!

Db33 - 15-2-2017 at 12:14

actually i went back today and now they only had 1 bottle left and i got it, so it seems as though it might be just them clearing out there inventory. So if you need some or just want some pure ethyl acetate id get some before its gone.

JJay - 15-2-2017 at 14:08

Quote: Originally posted by Cryolite.  
Quote: Originally posted by tsathoggua1  
2kg phosphorus (red)
100g cinnamyl chloride
500g iodine
250g n-dodecanethiol
500ml SOCl2
1l nitroethane
2l 98% H2SO4
500ml conc. HCOOH

Where do you drug chemists get such quantities of phosphorus and nitroethane? :o

I wonder if tsathoggua1 is coming back. My guess is that the authorities got a tip from the pet shop owner after his methylene blue purchase.

CalAm - 16-2-2017 at 05:58

5L 50% Hydrogen peroxide
5L 98% H2S04
5L 70% HNO3
500g Phosphorus, red
50g Phosphorus, red sealed under argon in an ampule (desk display)
500ml 65% Oleum
and a fritted buchner funnel 350ml 24/40 + 1L Erlenmeyer flask with a hand vacuum pump from deschem

tsathoggua1 - 18-2-2017 at 07:43

Tsath' isn't coming back. He didn't go anywhere to begin with. Did have some confusion with forgetting the password to another account, 'toady' but just made this account, and before anyone discounts me as some trailer park redneck meth cook, I'm far from it. Won't say I have any problems with it, not on ethical grounds at least.

But as to whether I'm coming back. No. I'm still here.

And the pet store owner...why would methylene blue..yes its active as an MAOI (MAO-a selective) inhibitor, but generally speaking, of those reagents, methylene blue is the very least suspicious of the entire lot, more or less. And besides, he makes enough off me when I come in, IIRC my last purchase of chemicals, tubing, air diffusion stones etc. and assorted things like a long, flexible double-ended (two sizes) brush on the end of a coiled up wire braid type thing, perfect for scrubbing things out of flasks, cleaning test tubes and what have you. All in all came to £70-something. So he's got a fair incentive not to go snitching at the purchase of a bottle of dye, for microscope sample staining etc.

The compressor is the blue boxy looking thing,
Guy in this particular pet shop is quite happy to help out. Last time I saw him, he even donated me a fairly powerful air compressor and didn't mind me going round all the tubing to see which size fitted my Dimroth condenser and one of the Liebigs.

He'd happened to get this pump, someone sold it him in exchange for store credit, but as it happens, its former use was some medical purpose, came from a hospital, perhaps for CPAP, and it gives off quite a lot of vibration, which made it unsuitable for aquaculture. So he sold it me for the price he gave away in exchange for someone getting a couple of tropical fish. Kind of an xmas gift, sold at total cost of a fiver.

compressor.JPG - 2.3MB

Oh and this isn't actually my lab itself. Its where excess items have had to find other places to be put, for capacity reasons since I have more equipment and reagents than I have shelving and bench space. Some of it has to go elsewhere when not in use.

[Edited on 18-2-2017 by tsathoggua1]

JJay - 18-2-2017 at 07:46

Glad you're still with us :) I wouldn't dare order 2 kilograms of red phosphorus.

tsathoggua1 - 18-2-2017 at 08:37

Well 1kg was the minimum order. And buying 2kg meant a modest discount on the total (90 euro/kg). Wanted a fair bit for three reasons-partially an investment, partly for chasing down as many of the stable, storable allotropes as possible and partly because its just such a damn useful reagent, as either red or white P, since its fairly easy to produce WP from RP, via distillation under a current of inert gas and collecting the product under ice cold H2O, melting smaller pieces of WP together if necessary. It can, if ice-cold, below its autoignition temperature, be quickly taken out of the collection vessel and melt-cast under water for storage, or stored in lumps under degassed, argon-sparged H2O, with the headspace in the container, if any, likewise given an argon purge.

First intended use for it is to synthesize violet phosphorus, then PBr3 or PCl3 and attempt to precipitate out Schlenk's phosphorus, the allotrope or polymorph known as scarlet phosphorus.

Not sure if violet P requires white or red, but the basic idea is to recrystallize it from molten lead, after keeping a quantity of elemental P in the molten lead for around 24 hours, then dissolve away the lead using nitric acid, leaving behind violet phosphorus, otherwise known as Hittorf's phosphorus. Its fairly unreactive as far as I'm aware .Nontoxic, crystalline, and of all the allotropes, closest to black phosphorus in nature, although with a polymeric, puckered chain-like structure somewhat similar to red P, although the chain structure is different.

I've read of its synthesis this way using red P. But given red P is a powder, if possible, I'd sooner use WP, since it can be melt-cast, so as to try and obtain the violet P in large single crystals. Its not commonly available, but the few times I've seen samples of violet P on ebay, its gone for something like £20 a gram. And that was in the form of a few crystalline chunks.

Since red P changes to the white allotrope under heating, I should think that in a bath of molten lead it would change to WP anyway, would it not? so why not attempt the growth of large, single crystals using pre-cast pieces of white phosphorus? given how much a few measly looking chunks, equating to 1g were selling for on ebay, the one time I've seen it available, I'd think large, carefully grown single crystals would go for quite a bit for collectors seeking element samples.

As far as watched chemicals go, there are a few I wouldn't order, such as 1-phenyl-beta-nitropropene (I've seen it go in 'kits' on ebay including HgCl2 enough for an amalgam reduction...sheesh), P2P, MDP2P, but generally speaking, I'll order what I need for whatever I'm doing. Really REALLY hot chemicals like the substituted benzaldehydes, I'd only order from certain sources who won't blab. If needs be though I can order those along with nitromethane/ethane, and one particular source only, perhaps two, that I'd order that kind of thing together, if I wanted them mind you. I don't go by other's opinions of what chemicals should and shouldn't be in a hobbyist's lab, bar a very few, which I'd have to synthesize myself.

[Edited on 18-2-2017 by tsathoggua1]

tsathoggua1 - 18-2-2017 at 17:07

To be honest, the red phos/I2 reduction of ephedrine/pseudo (its a LOT easier to obtain in england, simply pharmacy only and behind the counter), the RP/I2 reduction is harsh and ugly. Best way to do it IMO is an in-situ birch-benkeser reduction, using anhydrous gaseous ammonia as a constant stream into a cryo bathed flask (salt, CaCl2, MeOH, a little H2O and diethylene glycol will get to the point where ammonia is JUST short of liquefaction. Suspension of Li in anhydrous diethyl ether or diisopropyl ether, I've heard of it being done in hexane also, good stirring then once the blue has formed (a DROP or two of iPA helps it seems), it first goes dark greenish blue, then forms a proper solvated electron solution in the ether, needs a constant stream of ammonia, until the blue solvated electron solution is preformed. Its far more tolerant to gaaks in the pseudo.

And why can't amphetamines be synthesized in a home lab (from a chemistry point of view) those P2NP/HgCl2 'kits' are little different in principle from the old GHB kits when GHB got banned but GBL was legal. IIRC DIY kits with the stoichiometric quantity of NaOH and GBL were sold. This is no different, the HgCl2 is intended to be reacted with Al to form an Al/Hg amalgam which will reduce the nitropropene straight to amphetamine. Or reductive amination using in-situ nitromethane would give methamphetamine, or if nitroethane is available then N-ethylamphetamine.

And there are plenty methods to do it that do not require Hg. Such as Fe/HCl or Zn/HCl reductions. Or for the better equipped, catalytic hydrogenation with platinum group metal catalysts, raney nickel, etc. Or best of all, cleanest and reliable, LAH/THF.

And actually making the nitropropenes, nitrostyrenes is very easy. TETA (triethylenetetramine) works excellently at least on nitrostyrenes with an electron-donating group on the 4-position, never tried it on any benzaldehydes with extremely electron-withdrawing groups. But TETA in GAA/iPA and the nitroalkane of choice to form either the nitrostyrene or nitropropene, these are insoluble in H2O, so pouring onto cracked ice, straight from the finished rxn will crash the nitroalkene out, then ice cold H2O washing for workup after filtration, followed by recrystallization from iPA or MeOH to remove the pumpkin orange byproduct gives good quality nitrostyrenes.

IIRC, although never done it, another excellent way is to reduce with first a dissolving metal reduction to the amine then reduction of the double bond with borohydride.

And thats starting from benzaldehydes. If one wanted simple benzaldehyde, the Etard reaction using chromyl chloride can be done on benzyl alcohol or toluene.

tsathoggua1 - 19-2-2017 at 00:01

Quite. Certainly those packages with the HgCl2 and 1P2NP, there is no way in hell I'd order that from ebay. There is only one supplier I have I'd trust with that kind of order. Better to buy the substituted benzaldehydes and do a Knoevanagel. Getting to the nitropropenes and nitrostyrenes is easy as it gets. Probably one of the easiest organic reactions, bar maybe synthesis of bromethiazole/chlormethiazole I've ever done.

Those nitropropene packs look too much like bait to me. And I'm not biting. Benzaldehyde itself is cheap enough and FAR less on top. Benzaldehyde, EtNO2 in GAA with TETA, done in a few hours. The reductions are the more challenging part, some of the dissolving metal type (acid/metal rather than Birch type) reductions IIRC don't work on nitropropenes, only on nitrostyrenes. Damned if I can remember which ones though. LAH is the way to go though, although for the 3-bromo-4-(1,1-difluoromethoxy)-5-methoxybenzaldehyde project, Red-Al is going to be used, even on the nitrostyrene.

Off topic sort of-but are the nitropropene reduced products racemic when using LAH?

tsathoggua1 - 19-2-2017 at 00:08

Does anybody have any suggestions for UK located suppliers of semi-bulk quantities of solvents (10, 20 liters) for things like diethyl ether, MeOH, acetone, MEK, iPA, toluene, benzene, diisopropyl ether (I'm sick and tired of having to fractionate DIPE based starting fluid, to remove toluene, heptane and acetone), could use a good source of acetonitrile, EtOAc, DMF and HMPA, as well as carbon disulfide and carbon tet, chloroform, CH2Cl2 and other chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents. Also, aliphatics, pentane especially, its one of my favoured solvents for quite a lot of things, especially recrystallizations since it can be stripped so rapidly.

I'm having especially a lot of trouble finding HMPA, CS2 and chlorinated hydrocarbons are a fucking nightmare now to source. AFAIK in the UK all OTC products formerly based on dichlor are things of the past now, thanks to big brother and the nanny state.

Oh and I still don't get why buying methylene blue would be suspicious. Sure, its bioactive, as an MAOI, but thats hardly a reason for someone to call the filth if they were that way inclined. I doubt the pet store owner even KNOWS what an MAOI IS for that matter.

[Edited on 19-2-2017 by tsathoggua1]

tsathoggua1 - 19-2-2017 at 01:15

I wasn't claiming to be one. I was merely remarking about the greater feasability, from a tech point of view of starting from the benzaldehyde. The reaction, such as if one wants to stay legal, producing unsubstituted phenethylamine, is not difficult.

And I was more commenting on how blatantly bait-ish those direct precursors are, especially when sold with the HgCl2. Thats about as blatantly obvious as one can get, as there can't be that many other uses for a pack of 1P2NP and HgCl2. The HgCl2, sure, but not the nitropropene. Damn.

And the solvents, well, I just need to restock, because I am running low on everything. Have had to resort, for EtOH to distilling cooling spray, separating off pentane and a little menthol.

The particular benzaldehyde mentioned, well, thats not something done for profit, its a very small scale research project, because I have been unable to track down any such derivatives with an electronegative substituent on the 3' carbon of the phenyl ring. And you can bet with the availability of the aldehyde of 5g total at a cost of £80-something, I am not setting up the next pickard-esque factory. I'm genuinely interested in the pharmacology here, not just making bulk amphetamines. I could do that with sources I have, IF I were so inclined. Too easy, unless theres some exotic chemistry involved, new routes etc.

JJay - 19-2-2017 at 02:46

I ordered some tartaric acid for making Fehling's solution :)

My, we are having lovely weather today :)

tsathoggua1 - 19-2-2017 at 05:03

I need to buy a new alembic. Just had mine crack. And unfortunately, it was full of white phosphorus. Was doing a distillation, and due to the breakage, it started bursting out in little sparks of glowing intense fire, until I put an argon tank to the crack, took it over to water, and since it was fucked anyway, cracked it open. Didn't manage to recover more than a tiny bit though. On the plus side, the side-arm survived in one piece, so I can at least fuse it closed and do it in a sealed tube to prepare some more.

No rest for the wicked. Lost a fair bit of red P as well, in the form of solidified lumps of partially red, partially white (it was pyrophoric, but looked mostly red, like solidified lumps of clay) Managed to salvage a small amount. About half a pea-sized from a generous heap (unweighed) to about 1/5th fill the alembic, started roasting it and the damn thing bulged outwards. I'm thinking it might not have been borosilicate glass.

CalAm - 19-2-2017 at 07:45

Speaking of odd chemicals found on ebay tsathoggua1, i stumbled upon a seller stocking quiet the array of precursor or otherwise hard to find chemicals. I would have to hope it is a honeypot ? I mean who else would advertise: LiAlH4, HF(70%), Oleum, Phosphoric acid 85%, Ammonium Chloride, phosphorus, Hydrogen Chloride gas, Palladium (II) Chloride and a whole range of other wonderfully hard to get items all posted to you from Kekava, Kekava region, Latvia.

I am unsure if i am able to post a link to their ebay store ? So if someone could inform me if it is okay to post it here i am sure you guys will have a chuckle as well.

[Edited on 19-2-2017 by CalAm]

[Edited on 19-2-2017 by CalAm]

elementcollector1 - 19-2-2017 at 09:44

Sounds like yet another sting operation to me. How would one even sell hydrogen chloride in gaseous form? In a steel tank? That's not exactly cheap or helpful.

EDIT: I'm not sure you should post that link either, to be honest. Not knowing what's going on with that site, I can't say for certain.

[Edited on 2/19/2017 by elementcollector1]

JJay - 20-2-2017 at 05:33

I bought some distilled water. I paid cash and didn't answer any questions. The cashier was being all nosy, asking things like, "Hi, how are you?" but I don't think she suspected that I was doing any chemistry, and I switched trains twice on the way home.

Corrosive Joeseph - 20-2-2017 at 05:42

Priceless...................... :D

tsathoggua1 - 20-2-2017 at 14:17

Damn, bet the shipping on an HCl tank would be a bugger.

And 70% HF? oleum? jesus H. Thats the sort of thing that probably shouldn't be sold via ebay, lest inexperienced chemists stumble upon them, especially the HF.

Phosphorus fairly often appears, although often in small quantities for element collector's samples. He's even seen violet P once, going for some £20 a gram, for a few small broken up chunk crystals. Tsath's hoping his attempts will lead to being able to grow single crystals, both for himself and for other element collectors, in order to both be able to provide fine crystals of the allotrope and make himself some money to put into his equipment and reagent funds.

And to try and get himself a really good piece of native tellurium, like that astonishing and really rather beautiful, gemstone-quality crystal of native Te on sylvanite theodore gray has. Great looking thing, growing out of a long sylvanite crystalline rod, the crystal form kind of looks like bismuth, only with the steps inverse in direction, shape-wise, shiny and most definitely a potent inducer of lurid, radioactive-green covetous envy:D

CalAm - 21-2-2017 at 04:16

Purchased 1kg of Calcium carbide (5-15mm) for $33.47aud today, i don't have many projects planned for it but the deal was to good to pass on.

tsathoggua1 - 21-2-2017 at 11:33

CaC2 can be useful for drying alcohols, after first the usual methods of predrying, especially sensitive ones that wouldn't take to distillation over CaO. Predry first, and distill from CaC2 and it will react with the last traces of H2O, forming acetylene.

Db33 - 21-2-2017 at 14:01

i just made my 2nd order from Mario today so im very excited to get that! Also picked up a gallon of Toluene.Also soon im strongly considering ordering a 12-pack of Brakleen which contains Tetrachloroethylene and which is very useful to me.

tsathoggua1 - 21-2-2017 at 14:13

Been meaning to put in some myself, my first order from him went perfectly, he even combined shipping after I wanted to add something late, while he waited to receive the first items to send me. Thanks mario.

Db33 - 21-2-2017 at 15:08

Mario is amazing, he deserves alot of praise for all the help he provides.

Cryolite. - 21-2-2017 at 15:50

1 g 10% palladium on carbon
950 ml formic acid
1 lb sodium chlorite
500 g polyphosphoric acid
500 ml propionic acid

Plus some more glass beakers. So now I have way more sodium chlorite than I'll ever need... Does anyone want to purchase some? :D

Acquisition of Sodium Chloride

JJay - 21-2-2017 at 21:59

February 21, 2017

I purchased a 730 gram canister of sodium chloride at a local shop. This is the third time I've done this in a week, and the store personnel appear suspicious of my large volume sodium chloride purchases. I'd rather not have to come up with a cover story to hide my chemistry activities (for example: "Oh haha, I just like to make beef jerky in the middle of the night."), so I'm going to have to look for a new supplier.

Db33 - 22-2-2017 at 08:09

i wish i had invested in a large stock of Palladium about a decade ago when the price was super low. nowadays its ridiculous.

JJay - 22-2-2017 at 08:29

I bought some a long time ago... I think it was 5 grams of palladium chloride for $35. That will get you about a gram now.

I wouldn't mind having some now, but I'd definitely want to try to get a good deal on it.

JJay - 28-2-2017 at 05:41

I obtained 100 grams of sodium metal. It's starting to feel like I have a half decent lab now :)

Geocachmaster - 28-2-2017 at 07:28

I bought four bottles of asprin, 560 pills in all, and containing 182g of ASA. Total cost $4.22.

I wonder what the people at the store think, a 15 year old buying 25 lethal doses of aspirin:P. I've also bought bleach, ammonia, two pounds of salt, half a gallon of windshield washing fluid, and four tubes of toothpaste (extracting fluoride is a huge mess, waste of money) there so they must be used to it.

Sulaiman - 28-2-2017 at 08:06

February 21, 2017

I purchased a 730 gram canister of sodium chloride at a local shop. This is the third time I've done this in a week, and the store personnel appear suspicious of my large volume sodium chloride purchases. I'd rather not have to come up with a cover story to hide my chemistry activities (for example: "Oh haha, I just like to make beef jerky in the middle of the night."), so I'm going to have to look for a new supplier.

It is not the shop keepers business to know how much salt you require to have brine baths for that 'personal' problem :)

JJay - 28-2-2017 at 13:08

Quote: Originally posted by Geocachmaster  
I bought four bottles of asprin, 560 pills in all, and containing 182g of ASA. Total cost $4.22.

I wonder what the people at the store think, a 15 year old buying 25 lethal doses of aspirin:P. I've also bought bleach, ammonia, two pounds of salt, half a gallon of windshield washing fluid, and four tubes of toothpaste (extracting fluoride is a huge mess, waste of money) there so they must be used to it.

That's only 2-3 lethal doses of aspirin, right?

Most people think it is completely cool that you are doing chemistry, but there are some who are convinced that hobby chemists are up to no good. I'm really not very worried about it, but I have had to explain very adamantly to more than one person that under no circumstances will I make any drugs for them.

[Edited on 28-2-2017 by JJay]

Geocachmaster - 28-2-2017 at 14:02

@JJay Hmm, I was going off of this wiki page about methyl salicylate. It says that 20 300mg pills is nearing the lowest published lethal dose of 101mg/kg. I should read more carefully. It seems that a more accurate number would be 300-500mg/kg. Using the lower limit there should be around 10 lethal doses then, for a 60Kg individual like myself.

And yeah, I find many people just think at home chemistry is cool. Then there are people like the woman I saw while purchasing some surplus glassware at a local college. She asked "Are you making drugs?" and was not satisfied with my answer of no. Then she told me not to blow up my parents house. She came off as very rude. I suppose most of the public is ignorant to chemistry though, so I can't blame her.

JJay - 16-3-2017 at 23:52

I bought some magnesium.

Db33 - 17-3-2017 at 08:01

got some 98% Food Grade Glacial Acetic Acid. Not sure how good food grade is but i assume its close to tech grade.

Schleimsäure - 17-3-2017 at 09:47

Quote: Originally posted by Db33  
got some 98% Food Grade Glacial Acetic Acid. Not sure how good food grade is but i assume its close to tech grade.

Ususally food grade is better quality compared to technical. Technical grade is not meant for human consumption and thus has impurities which potentially could be harmful.

Db33 - 17-3-2017 at 12:26

yeah im surprised, i got it today and it says 99.85% pure. Im surprised ive never had GAA before, but i have dealt with ACetic Anhydride, and even though it doesnt smell quite the same, it still has a very strong smell coming threw the bottle.

JJay - 17-3-2017 at 13:05

A little bit of water makes a big difference in the freezing point. Anhydrous GAA will freeze in a cool room.

http://askavantor.force.com/articles/FAQ/Freezing-Points-of-...

Schleimsäure - 17-3-2017 at 14:02

Isopropylamine 500ml
Maleic anhydide 250g
Sodium dithionite 85% 250g

Db33 - 19-3-2017 at 19:09

i dunno why i do this, i could have easily left it in the shitty plastic container but i like putting my chems in better looking glass bottles and labeling them with a little labeler i have.

So this is what my Citric Acid looks like

Zn01LNV.jpg - 23kB

woelen - 20-3-2017 at 02:11

500 ml HBr (48%)
500 ml dimethylcarbonate (99%)

Db33 - 20-3-2017 at 12:31

i am officially retarded. i bought a 30ml bottle of Analytical grade Aniline for $30, plus $15 for shipping because i honestly thought that was the only source for it! Now i realize there are MUCH cheaper sources with far greater a mounts. i dont think ill be ordering from that company again, they seem to sell only Analytical grade chems.

tsathoggua1 - 20-3-2017 at 14:20

Yowch. That price on the aniline stinks as bad as the product.

A Halogenated Substance - 20-3-2017 at 18:00

Sodium thiosulfate for work with halogens, potassium chromate for organic synthesis, and 95% ethanol for stabilizing chloroform and organic synthesis.

mayko - 28-3-2017 at 11:00

Found a big ol' bucket of calcium hypochlorite on the side of the road... mass production of chloroform is on the horizon

Db33 - 28-3-2017 at 17:20

Didnt plan on these 2 arriving on the same day but it happend that way.

1,2, Dichloroethane
Dichloromethane

IMG_0254_zpsvdk8nzal.jpg - 87kB

Db33 - 28-3-2017 at 17:59

this might be a little off topic but does everyone see the dichloromethane can? im having a hell of a time opening the lid, you have to push down and then open but it is not working, its like on alot of paint cans, any advice or tips on how to open it?

JJay - 28-3-2017 at 18:04

Channel locks... or just remove the childproof cap with a utility knife.

Db33 - 28-3-2017 at 18:06

ive removed the childproof cap before on a can of Toluene just to get to a metal lid that was even harder to open haha. So i dunno, channel locks i think i might give a shot

Potassium bromate 75 g. 99%

Sulaiman - 31-3-2017 at 11:32

I want bromine but I'm too lazy to do the electrolysis :P

0.01 £/g :)
0.10 £/g including p&p from Russian Federation :(

JJay - 3-4-2017 at 14:11

Lately I've been purchasing mainly fairly common but essential chemicals in bulk. Stuff like:

calcium hypochlorite
calcium hydroxide
sodium sulfate, anhydrous
potassium carbonate

I've been thinking I should probably get some oxalic acid.

woelen - 3-4-2017 at 22:56

Sodium peroxide, 800 grams.
I intend to use it mainly as peroxide stock. Concentrated H2O2 cannot be purchased anymore where I live, it even is hard to find more than 3% solution. Na2O2 has the advantage that it has a fairly high peroxide content, but the best thing is that it can be stored indefinitely if kept in a tightly sealed container, unlike H2O2 which decomposes in a few years.

Sulaiman - 4-4-2017 at 01:41

there's still oxy-clean (sodium percarbonate) as a source of H2O2

woelen - 4-4-2017 at 03:19

I know of sodium percarbonate, but its peroxide content is quite low. Anhydrous Na2O2 has a fairly high peroxide content in terms of weight and still can be purchased (I have it from eBay). Converting it to moderately concentrated H2O2 (e.g. 15% or maybe even 20%), is not really trivial, but is doable.

j_sum1 - 4-4-2017 at 04:07

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I know of sodium percarbonate, but its peroxide content is quite low. Anhydrous Na2O2 has a fairly high peroxide content in terms of weight and still can be purchased (I have it from eBay). Converting it to moderately concentrated H2O2 (e.g. 15% or maybe even 20%), is not really trivial, but is doable.

I had a quick search and found lots of discussion but little concrete. If you don't mind, how does one go about getting H2O2 beginning with Na2O2 or Na2CO3·1.5H2O2?

[edit]
I searched on the percarbonate and found three dead-end threads with lots of fluffy contradictory talk but nothing very helpful. I did less searching on sodium peroxide. I know that Na2O2 reacts with water to form NaOH and H2O2 but I am not sure how you would separate the two.

[Edited on 4-4-2017 by j_sum1]

woelen - 5-4-2017 at 05:23

Getting H2O2 out of Na2O2 and isolating that to high purity is not easy, but making a fairly concentrated solution, which also has some left-over ions in it is not that difficult.

Na2O2, when added to water, reacts to give NaOH and H2O2. This reaction is quite exothermic and the heat, produced in this reaction is comparable to the heat, produced by dissolving NaOH in water. You can make the liquid quite hot if you add a lot of Na2O2 to a little water quickly and probably a large amount of the formed H2O2 then will decompose.

So, you have to add the Na2O2 to ice cold water. If the water becomes too warm, then cool inbetween and add the Na2O2 in different small batches. I would take 100 grams of Na2O2 and add that to 100 ml of water, assuring that the liquid does not heat up too much. This may take quite some time!

Next, add 30% H2SO4 or so, also slowly, in different batches to neutralize the NaOH without excessive heating up of the liquid. Add acid, so that the liquid becomes neatral (a little excess of acid is better than too little of it). Na2SO4.10H2O is not freely soluble. I expect quite a lot of crystalline solid to separate, leaving a solution of H2O2 in water. The solid also takes out water. I am not sure about getting H2O2 in the crystal lattice.

This method is not something I tried, but I expect, however, that it is a viable method of making moderately concentrated solutions of H2O2. When the Na2O2 arrives, I'll try it with a small amount, to see how well this works. The solution will still contain some Na(+) ions and SO4(2-) ions. In most applications, this is not an issue.

With sodium percarbonate things should work similarly, but the solutions will be more dilute and you have a lot of bubbling of CO2. The reaction of sodium percarbonate with water is less exothermic than the reaction of sodium peroxide with water.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:o For the more greedy ones: almost 100% H2O2 :o

Add solid Na2O2 to 98% H2SO4 and get the following reaction: H2SO4 + Na2O2 --> Na2SO4 + H2O2. You get crystals of Na2SO4 in almost 100% pure H2O2, just decant the pure H2O2 :o

There is one caveat though: This is the ultimate april fool's joke :D
Do not do this in real life! The extremely basic Na2O2 will react very exothermically with the strong acid and you may have lots of H2SO4 splattering around and the H2O2 immediately decomposes to water and oxygen. I will try this experiment. I take a small spatula of solid Na2O2 and add a single drop of concentrated H2O2. Let's see what spectacular thing happens!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I am writing this, it makes me angry again about all these regulations in the EU :mad:. The above process is a lot of hassle just for getting some H2O2 in reasonable concentrations, but we have to deal with it. Buying a liter of 35% H2O2 at a local drugstore as I did 10 years ago definitely is something from the past! The same drugstore now only has 3% H2O2 in 100 ml bottles and they only sell it from a locked room, not freely available anymore in the shop.

[Edited on 5-4-17 by woelen]

Gurt - 5-4-2017 at 20:56

As far as chemical orders, I have had a rather good week.

5L lab grade benzene
1L Isopropylamine
1L Carbon tetrachloride
100g Malononitrile
250g Sodium
5g Juglone

Potassium Bromate arrived

Sulaiman - 7-4-2017 at 03:32

Strange world
... a packet of white powder posted to me in UK from the Russian Federation arrives in a week, no signs of physical inspection,
yet stuff from US is strictly scrutinised (for tax purposes I think)
(i.e. my government seems more interrested in taxing me than protecting me, and others)

Anyway, £7.50, one week delivery, 85g (labeled, not a mistake) instead of the advertised 75g, KBrO3 with assay.

Quick & easy Br2 production soon ..... (I need to practice diy ampouling first)

tsathoggua1 - 7-4-2017 at 10:54

1KG of anhydrous KOH.

JJay - 7-4-2017 at 14:18

Anhydrous KOH? An entire kilogram of it? That stuff is expensive.

clearly_not_atara - 7-4-2017 at 14:27

Quote: Originally posted by Db33  
this might be a little off topic but does everyone see the dichloromethane can? im having a hell of a time opening the lid, you have to push down and then open but it is not working, its like on alot of paint cans, any advice or tips on how to open it?

If I'm having trouble with a lid like this, I usually put my palm flat on the top of the lid and press down very hard while twisting my hand so the lid turns via friction.

tsathoggua1 - 16-4-2017 at 07:36

Was cheap enough, wanted it for eutectic mixtures of NaOH/KOH, apparently the mixture melts at just 200 degrees, well below the point at which Na dissolves into NaOH to make that interstitial type blue-grey rock hard crap.

Not a friendly melt to the nickel anodes I've been using. I'm hoping carbon electrodes will survive longer and allow taking advantage of the great conductivity of carbon.

Currently-5l GAA, 10l CH2Cl2, 5g HgCl2 and a couple of other chemicals, as well as a 150ml glass syringe, a nickel crucible, 2 nickel plated ones, 2 Fe ones, and a set of carbon crucibles ranging from about an inch and a half tall and 3/4-1'' ID to 6-7 inch tall and about 4.5-4.75'' ID. The larger one is graphitic, whilst the others are amorphous carbon. I'd like some glassy carbon crucibles but those don't come cheap. Finding something that will resist molten KOH/NaOH mixture is fairly demanding of course on the materials used.

Need a new power supply too, although I've just spent a large proportion of my budget for that kind of thing.

JJay - 16-4-2017 at 22:32

I just did some searching for anhydrous KOH and ran across this: https://www.amazon.com/PURE-Potassium-Hydroxide-Flakes-Anhyd...

The label is misleading, though; it's not actually anhydrous. Real anhydrous KOH is made by reacting sodium hydroxide and potassium in a molten state. I'm not really sure how they separate the KOH and sodium afterwards... perhaps zone fractionation would work, or for all I know they simply distill off the excess alkali metal (don't try that in borosilicate glass). Sigma-Aldrich does carry anhydrous potassium hydroxide, and I believe that theirs is genuine, but it's very expensive.

tsathoggua1 - 17-4-2017 at 03:35

Whai about grinding fresh-fiused KOH? obviously, in a dry atmosphere. Stuff is damnably hygeoscopic.

Or better, vacuum dessication, should that not pull any water present out? although this product isn't commercially brand-packaged, but rather was sent in a hermetically sealed bag.

Although mostly atm traces of water don't matter considering the primary use is in molten hydroxide eutectics and at a minimum temperature of 200 'C. probably not the most optimum conditions for retaining water.

JJay - 17-4-2017 at 08:24

KOH can't be dehydrated that easily; in "anhydrous" commercial form, it generally contains between 10-15% water.

JJay - 19-4-2017 at 22:50

I try to recycle my DCM whenever possible, but I was running low. Also, I saw acetone on sale.

IMG_20170419_222716[1].jpg - 654kB

tsathoggua1 - 23-4-2017 at 08:09

if only such were OTC here. Just bought 20 liters of dichlor, 5l ethylene glycol for chlorination to 1,2-dichloroethane (even here they do trust people to mix their own antifreeze with water), some ACS grade benzaldehyde (god I love that smell. Made use of the benz twice, involving some microwave chem....and damned if that smell doesn't get out given the tiniest chance. Had a house that smelled like cherry bakewell tarts/marzipan for days.) Always found the smell of benzaldehyde, of nitrobenzene, nitromethane/ethane good enough almost to eat. Might even get used as a flavouring for cooking, since its harmless enough in the amounts used to make commercial artificial almond flavouring.

Also, some HgCl2, 5g which will most certainly not. Some very, very fine nickel powder, around 250g, 250 or 500 each of nickel acetate and dichromate. The nickel salts are planned for playing around with Ni-Cu couples as reductors. The dichromate intended for the etard, via the rather useful CrO2Cl2, which most surprisingly, will oxidize an alcohol to an aldehyde and stay there, odd really, considering that its incompatible with most solvents bar chlorocarbons, perfluorinated alkanes (I think) and CS2. I've worked with it before and had an accident once many many years ago whilst still learning (well we are always still learning. I meant rather, starting out as a hobby chemist) and I've seen what it likes to do to organics and it isn't pretty. That its so gentle on alcohols still never fails to surprise.

As far as drying KOH goes, surely flame fusion and maintaining it in the molten state, preferably in a bag or chamber with dessicant present should expel the last of the H2O? Another option is a molten metal bath I have, that will reach up to 500 degrees. I can't see it taking on much water whilst maintained at a melt temperature (this is more likely 200 'C, or close to it, a little above, since primary motivation atm is production of NaK alloy. Have succeeded in its transient production but not as of yet captured any. Using a NaOH-KOH eutectic, and going to move to carbon electrodes, was using nickel alloy fret wire for the anodes and carbon crucibles, will stay with the crucibles as they resist attack when serving as cathodes whilst the anode, when nickel wire was used ended up quite badly attacked at the tips, forming an extremely sharp point. Would be an ideal way for making beehive type flechette rounds for shotguns come to think of it, mass dip say half inch long fret wire pieces wired as anodes in KOH-NaOH melt, reverse when sharp and instant finned sharpened projectiles if somebody wanted such.

[Edited on 23-4-2017 by tsathoggua1]

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  15