Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Tungsten metal (salvage question)

YT2095 - 11-2-2008 at 02:47

I have a broken 300w halogen light (tube) now I know the spiral filliment will be tungsten, but are the metal hoops that are around it to prevent it touching the glass Also tungsten?

they aren`t magnetic and the color is the same.

I want it for my element collection.

garage chemist - 11-2-2008 at 03:25

I heard they are molybdenum, which makes sense since Mo has a very high melting point as well and is much easier to work with than W since it is not brittle and can be drawn into wires.

YT2095 - 11-2-2008 at 03:40

so the Filament is tungsten and the hoops are Mo.

I hope you`re right! that`ll make a nice Bonus addition, as I have non of that either (only Molybdic acid).

found this using Molybdenum in a search: http://www.tungstenchina.com/2006714112604.html

I think I may sacrafice one of them and do a little color chemistry to find out for sure.
I seem to remember something about it making a Purple color with phosphates (or something along those lines).

[Edited on 11-2-2008 by YT2095]

chemkid - 11-2-2008 at 12:53

I have a large (burned out) halogen lamp as well, just knew it would come in handy someday :) A quick Google search yielded some conformation what garage chemist said. Report back on your experiments. In the mean time I'll be cracking my light bulb.

Chemkid