Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Your favorite primary?

497 - 20-2-2008 at 21:23

I am curious as to what you guys think is the best all around primary explosive for initiating less sensitive explosives? Considering ease and cost of synthesis, sensitivity, power, toxicity, compatibility with others, etc. Exotic or common anything is fair game.

Nick F - 21-2-2008 at 05:58

It's hard to beat silver nitrotetrazolate. The synthesis is a little bit involved if you have to start from scratch, but it can be done totally using OTC chemicals.

froot - 21-2-2008 at 06:27

The Lead nitrate/Soduim azide/Sodium picrate azo-clathrate.

[Edited on 21-2-2008 by froot]

Engager - 21-2-2008 at 10:43

My vote is silver 5-nitrotetrazolate and compex 5-nitrotetrazole primaries. :)

Zinc - 21-2-2008 at 11:29

Where can I find more information about silver nitrotetrazolate?

Sickman - 21-2-2008 at 11:38

Primary Compund Explosives and Mixtures

1. 4 (Basic Lead Picrate-Lead Nitrate-Lead Azide)-11 Lead Azide] example 5 of US3431156
2. 4 (Basic Lead Picrate-Lead Nitrate-Lead Azide)-12 Lead Azide] variation
3. 4 (Basic Lead Picrate-Lead Acetate-Lead Azide)-11 Lead Azide] example 2 of US3431156
4. 4 (Basic Lead Picrate-Lead Acetate-Lead Azide)-12 Lead Azide] variation
5. Silver Azide R.D. 1336
6. Mercury Fulminate
7. Mercury Fulminate/Potassium Chlorate 90/10
8. Mercury Fulminate/Potassium Chlorate 80/20
9. Silver Acetylide
10. Silver Acetylide/Silver Nitrate Double Salt
11. Silver Acetylide/Mannitol Hexanitrate 50/50
12. Lead Nitranilate
13. Lead Nitranilate/Mannitol Hexanitrate 50/50

Well here's my developing list of "practical" primary explosives. These primaries are "practical" in the sense that they are actually capable and most quite good at directly initiating the detonation of secondary explosives and are useful as primary charges on top of base charges in compound blasting caps. :cool:

These primaries are on my list of good ones for at least three reasons:

First, their precursors are practical to obtain, thus making synthesis possible. In fact I have found the most difficult precursor to obtain of those primaries on the list is mercury for mercury fulminate. It has become the unfortunate victim of wacco environ"mental"ists who find some of mercury's properties "evil",:mad: but even it can still be found here and there.

Secondly, even though these are primary explosives there sensitivity is such that they have practical safety in handling in the sense that they don't just detonate if you look at them. Safety precations are still essential to their handling, but these really are "safer" than many alternatives.;)

Thirdly, their chemical stability and storage life is such that they can be stored for a period of time, at least one year of dark, dry, and cool, and still retain their initiatory abilities. The key to proper storage for a long life is to store in cool temperatures between 5-20*C. At such temperatures you can expect the azides to last for decades and mercury fulminate 7-10 years (figures for storage life taken from TM 9-1300-214 Chapter 7). Silver acetylide is not as stable as mercury fulminate, but if stored in cool, dry, dark it will last more than a year and retain it's abilities to initiate HE's. Less is known about lead nitranilate's storage life, but it is better than organic peroxides at sitting around.:D

Rosco Bodine - 21-2-2008 at 12:19

That #2 on the list , the 4/12 azo-clathrate from
Mr. Anonymous is an old favorite of mine :D

Engager - 21-2-2008 at 12:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Zinc

Watch 5-ATZ(5-Aminotetrazole), the nitrotetrazolate ion and friends thread.

quicksilver - 22-2-2008 at 07:24

Azo-clathrates with a twist

rbick - 22-2-2008 at 08:41

This may seem somewhat lame, but let me explain first.

.1g HMTD with any amount of ETN.

A very small amount of an organic peroxide (or any explosive for that matter) will initiate basically any amount of ETN. I use this in almost all of my blasting caps and have had great success, even when detonating the hard to initiate compositions such as PLX mixtures.

Both products can be made easily with OTC items of which are inexpensive. So while having to deal with an organic peroxide, it is a very little amount. To initiate I use a 12v lantern battery with a switch assembly and home made e-matches.

[Edited on 22-2-2008 by rbick]

magneet - 22-2-2008 at 09:04

Silver acetylide/nitrate.

a_bab - 22-2-2008 at 15:27

"Mr. Anonymous is an old favorite of mine" - I *think* I know why.

Lead azide has been the best I used so far. Easy to make assuming you can get sodium azide, powerfull, less dangerous than most other "brothers".

The_Davster - 22-2-2008 at 22:25

Quote:
Originally posted by Zinc

We did not go extensively into the properties however so:
Not sure how their formula and structure works out, I am going to assume a typo unless someone corrects me.

AG-NT.JPG - 67kB

Lead Azide

MadHatter - 23-2-2008 at 18:36

Easy to make and yes, I get sodium azide rather easily.

Leander - 24-2-2008 at 12:09

A really good primary I once heard of was a mixture of equal parts of AgN3, Ag2C2*AgNO3 and PETN. 30 mg of this mixure is capable of detonating PETN reliably. It is less friction-sensitive than Pb(N3)2 alone, and even less shock-sensitive than Ag2C2*AgNO3. ;)

There is btw one thing I don't really understand about the azo-clathrates sickman presents. Apparently you can make azo-clathrates form leadacetate to. I always thought that azo-clathrates contain an amount of (solid) lead nitrate trapped in their cristals, in that case Pb(NO3)2 acts as an oxidiser increasing the OB of the compound. Wouldn't the acetate only act as an intert, lowering the brisancy? Or is the solutible leadsalt (Acetate or Nitrate) not a part of the actual compound, and just stays in solution?

[Edited on 24-2-2008 by Leander]

Sickman - 24-2-2008 at 14:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Leander

There is btw one thing I don't really understand about the azo-clathrates sickman presents. Apparently you can make azo-clathrates form leadacetate to. I always thought that azo-clathrates contain an amount of (solid) lead nitrate trapped in their cristals, in that case Pb(NO3)2 acts as an oxidiser increasing the OB of the compound. Wouldn't the acetate only act as an intert, lowering the brisancy? Or is the solutible leadsalt (Acetate or Nitrate) not a part of the actual compound, and just stays in solution?

Leander,

If you took the time to read the patent US3431156, you would soon realize that any Lead salt can be used to form a "clathrate" with Lead azide. I just like the lead nitrate and lead acetate examples, because those lead salts are easy to make or buy, and their solubility in water greatly commends them for this purpose.

Basicaslly what you have in the "azo-clathrates" if I understand it correctly for example in:

4 (Basic Lead Picrate-Lead Nitrate-Lead Azide)-11 Lead Azide] example 5 of US3431156

is a complex crystal formation under the conditions and quantities mentioned in the patent, resulting in 4 moles of Basic Lead picrate-lead nitrate- Lead azide complex and 11 moles of lead azide trapped within this complex crystal formation.

So to answer your question, NO! The lead acetate or lead nitrate are not left in solution they are the Lead doner and the resulting foundation for the clathrate. Lead azide is the powerhouse of the azo-clathrates. The power output of each clathrate is for the most part extremely dependant on the molar ratio of lead azide to crystal host.

On paper it looks like the Lead nitrate example is better than the lead acetate example, but in practice they both perform equally well at initiating the same amount of high explosive in the same quantity, because they both contain the same amount of Lead azide. It is the case in both the lead acetate and lead nitrate clathrates that the quantity of lead azide that they contain is what determines initiatory performance and little with wether or not lead acetate or lead nitrate was used.

Rosco Bodine - 24-2-2008 at 16:07

Hmmm...not to stir up a controversy , but actually the azo-clathrates which have oxidizer lead salts only are better performers than those which have the acetate which tends to act as an inert diluent .

The two azo-clathrates for which I have a liking
are the example 5 by a modified method which gives 12 instead of 11 azides . And another unpublished variant which was tried adding a lead chlorate , derived from potassium chlorate and extra lead nitrate reacted in situ , seemed to extend the adsorption for azide to 16 . I didn't do any followup , but preliminary indications are that it is possible to exceed the limit of 13 adsorbed azide specified in the patent , at least for the case of 4(basic lead picrate-lead nitrate-lead chlorate -lead azide)-16 lead azide .
This chlorate variant was sassier than the nitrate variant ,
which was stronger than the acetate variant . The same
hierarchy of power applies to the non-azo clathrate parent compounds , which are low order detonating / igniters prior to inclusion of the azide which transforms them into high order detonating compositions .

Sickman - 24-2-2008 at 17:32

Rosco,

I'm going to take your word for it that the azo-clathrates with lead salts with oxidising properties are better performers, even though in my tests I noticed no difference in application. I mean in the shock initiation of secondaries.

I should like to point out that what I said in my last post is just my opinion that the best strategy for increasing the initiatory abilites of the clathrates is to add more moles of lead azide to the host complex which is what will really make the azo-clathrates better performers. I did get a little careless by making things sound like OB doesn't matter at all(It does), but I think the number of moles of lead azide in the host complex is still more definitive of performance than any other factor including oxygen balance.

Rosco Bodine - 24-2-2008 at 17:53

Definitely the more azide content , the more powerful the azo-clathrate . But the oxidizer content also has bearing , probably with regards to the basic lead picrate content .
A lead nitrate - lead perchlorate variant should be interesting . That oxidizer content probably has a sweet spot in its proportion similarly as do mixtures of potassium chlorate with mercury fulminate . Getting the synergistic
energy balance / oxygen balance optimum is the point at which you wring all of the performance possible from the composition ....but only if density isn't adversely affected .
It's really several interactive factors which will determine
which composition is hot and which is not as hot .

pdb - 26-2-2008 at 01:12

This thread mimics the one called "My favourite primary explosive" on the E&W forum (life is an endless repetition...).

As said on E&W, I much favor m-nitrobenzenediazonium perchlorate, in association with PETN in a caseless detonator (a pearl of primary glued on a pill of PETN). It's a primary easy to prepare, and one of the most powerful. Diazo compounds carry a bad reputation; however, this one is considered in the literature as one of the most stable, and I personnaly have never had any single problem the way I use it. But surely it is not a choice at industrial scale.

Microtek - 26-2-2008 at 03:32

If a very small detonator assembly is required I prefer silver nitrotetrazolate, otherwise I go with the azo-clathrates. However, I prefer using azo-clathrates with only a moderate amount of azide as this produces a primary that is actually less sensitive than the secondary (I always use compound detonators with a base charge of PETN or RDX) and requires very slight confinement in order to DDT. With RDX base charges you then get detonators that are almost impervious to accidental ignition (shock, friction, static discharge).

Nick F - 26-2-2008 at 06:54

That's interesting, could you provide more info on the clathrate you use?

PHILOU Zrealone - 26-2-2008 at 09:06

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Davster
We did not go extensively into the properties however so:
Not sure how their formula and structure works out, I am going to assume a typo unless someone corrects me.

Your post doesn't puzzle the others :) but I do ear your tiny scream ;).

In the picture you attached, they obviously made a typo between Ag and Hg in the formula first and afterwards in the tittle.

1°)Ag is usually monovalent, not bivalent, while Hg is bivalent (sometimes with inter Hg bridging making it look like monovalent ex Cl-Hg-Hg-Cl)
2°)They speak about Hg nitrotetrazolate as interesting replacement in military uses in place of LA and suddently they show the Ag salt structure...
3°)The gross formula lists 10 Hydrogen atoms instead of 10 Nitrogens

Definitely a typo.
So as a conclusion 1,1'-Mercury bis-5,5'- nitrotetrazole :cool:

Funny to see they keep on going on further into the mistake... maybe they have fused a paragraph on the Hg and one on the Ag nitrotetrazole.
Personnally as primary,
I use Ag2C2.xHNO3 complex admixed with Ni(NH2-NH2)3(NO3)2 (mass ratio 1/2) ...unreactive towards each other, reliable from flame, stores wel for years, non hygroscopic, easy to do and to isolate, not too shock sensitive,VOD arround 6500 m/s, lead block test arround 375 ccm/10g

But I'm sure I will find other ones I will really fall in love about.:P:P:P

[Edited on 26-2-2008 by PHILOU Zrealone]

Sickman - 26-2-2008 at 11:15

Quote:
Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone

Personnally as primary,
I use Ag2C2.xHNO3 complex admixed with Ni(NH2-NH2)3(NO3)2 (mass ratio 1/2) ...unreactive towards each other, reliable from flame, stores wel for years, non hygroscopic, easy to do and to isolate, not too shock sensitive,VOD arround 6500 m/s, lead block test arround 375 ccm/10g.

What method are you using to "admix" these two? Wet? Dry? Solvent? It seems that a wet mixing process where both materials are added to H2O with stirring and then simply filtering would be the safest.

pdb - 26-2-2008 at 12:32

Quote:
Originally posted by Microtek
If a very small detonator assembly is required I prefer silver nitrotetrazolate

Talking about micro detonators, how does Ag nitrotetrazolate compare to AgN3 according to your experiments ?

quicksilver - 26-2-2008 at 14:38

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosco Bodine
The two azo-clathrates for which I have a liking
are the example 5 by a modified method which gives 12 instead of 11 azides . And another unpublished variant which was tried adding a lead chlorate , derived from potassium chlorate and extra lead nitrate reacted in situ , seemed to extend the adsorption for azide to 16 . I didn't do any followup , but preliminary indications are that it is possible to exceed the limit of 13 adsorbed azide specified in the patent , at least for the case of 4(basic lead picrate-lead nitrate-lead chlorate -lead azide)-16 lead azide .

I thought about this just recently but with NaCLO3 as it would be solvent in water where as KCLO3 would not (to a greater extent). We are talking about Example 5? Correct...?

Rosco Bodine - 26-2-2008 at 15:40

No , not talking about example 5 at all , but an unpublished variant not described in the Kenney patents .
What it was is the non-azo clathrate of the other Kenney patent , basic lead picrate - lead nitrate - lead chlorate
made by a modified synthesis to the Kenney example
which provided a higher yield also for that parent substrate , and then saturating that substrate with azide
in the same way as the others .

IIRC what I did was make basic lead picrate first ,
then add lead nitrate and lead chlorate simultaneously
to form the triple salt , and then very slowly add the
azide . IIRC I indirectly described how the triple salt
parent substrate was made , in that old thread at E&W
as a suggested modification on another synthesis that
someone was reporting for basic lead picrate which was
being misidentified by them as being lead picrate .

PHILOU Zrealone - 27-2-2008 at 09:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Sickman
Quote:
Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone

Personnally as primary,
I use Ag2C2.xHNO3 complex admixed with Ni(NH2-NH2)3(NO3)2 (mass ratio 1/2) ...unreactive towards each other, reliable from flame, stores wel for years, non hygroscopic, easy to do and to isolate, not too shock sensitive,VOD arround 6500 m/s, lead block test arround 375 ccm/10g.

What method are you using to "admix" these two? Wet? Dry? Solvent? It seems that a wet mixing process where both materials are added to H2O with stirring and then simply filtering would be the safest.

I have made it dry for tiny quantities (few mg) and with methanol with larger (few g).
The silver complex is white to pale grey and the Ni complex is lilas pink...the resulting mix is pale lilas pink. Any darkening in the time will result in higher sensitivity. Although this will only happen on long exposure to sunlight

[Edited on 27-2-2008 by PHILOU Zrealone]

Silver Valence

Recessive - 29-2-2008 at 17:27

This is in regard to Philou's assertion on the previous page that silver nitrotetrazole has a valence of one.

Urbanski, in C&T of Explosives, V3, p157, refers to “(CNO)2Ag” and on the next page repeats this in a graph. I was initially irritated by this “error” until I saw the silver bis-nitrotetrazole name and molecule in PATR, V9, pT138, and then assumed that silver might actually have a valence of two. Good for performance, good for price.

JohnWW - 2-3-2008 at 01:06

Silver does form Ag(II) compounds, but it requires quite strong oxidizing conditions; and Ag(III) compounds, which require very strongly oxidizing conditions. AgF2 amd AgF3 and I think the oxides are known; Ag++ can be stabilized in complex cations by appropriate ligands.

PHILOU Zrealone - 4-3-2008 at 09:14

Quote:
Originally posted by Recessive
This is in regard to Philou's assertion on the previous page that silver nitrotetrazole has a valence of one.

Urbanski, in C&T of Explosives, V3, p157, refers to “(CNO)2Ag” and on the next page repeats this in a graph. I was initially irritated by this “error” until I saw the silver bis-nitrotetrazole name and molecule in PATR, V9, pT138, and then assumed that silver might actually have a valence of two. Good for performance, good for price.

Maybe due to the names?
Argent....Hydr Argent (HydrAgentum) (hence the Hg symbol)
Silver...Quick Silver
Silver...kwik Silver
Ag...Hg the typo can also be made quite fast :)

For the rest valence can be set to other values but the expected AgII, or other would be extreemly oxydant...

Zinc - 6-3-2008 at 11:55

My favorite primary is and always has been AP.

snooby - 17-1-2019 at 23:38

Last relevant post was in 2008....
Any new 'favorite primarys' ?

Im interrested in BNCP. I have made it a couple of times.

It is not really sensitive towards impact and friction. Also not sensitive towards static electricity.
Low density powder (good if you do not make more then 2 grams a time).
Non toxic

On the other side it has some drawbacks:
Time consuming, multi step synthesis.
Needs good confinement in a detonator in orde too work properly

[Edited on 18-1-2019 by snooby]

[Edited on 18-1-2019 by snooby]

Laboratory of Liptakov - 19-1-2019 at 12:42

I estimate, that best choice for reliable detonation of some secondary EM, is Silver Acetylide - Double salt. In todays times = SA-DS. Non-toxic, easy readyable. Diluted weak HNO3, Ag, Calcium Carbide. And as bonus pretty nice reaction. But I not use it. I use Tetraamine copper perchlorate-hexamine clathrate.
Shortly CHP. About CHP you can tick cigarette without consequences. If is not in cavity. With SA-DS is impossible it.....:cool:

MineMan - 23-1-2019 at 21:31

LL good reply. But I think small crystals of AGNiPerchlorate is less sensitive than SADS, and so so much more powerful. Wow.

I owe this to tetrazolelvr. He’s the man. You need to try this stuff LL.. it’s the most addictive EM :)

A lot of improvements can be made in modifying the crystal size, shock gel, grinding (underwater, safely).

MineMan - 24-1-2019 at 09:32

I do want to say. All of us in the EM community owe LL a huge thanks. CHP is revolutionary, it bridges the gap between primaries and secondaries.. and IMHO, not really a need for primaries anymore... only for microcaps.

A big thanks to LL!!

Laboratory of Liptakov - 24-1-2019 at 11:52

Ho Hoooo,......Very thanks. Ingenious sentence: CHP is revolutionary, it bridges the gap between primaries and secondaries.
It could be described into stone!......:cool:
Well, aminoguanidine nickel perchlorate. Maybe will examinated.

[Edited on 24-1-2019 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

FeedMe94 - 28-3-2019 at 08:58

I want to try both CHP and Aminoguanidine Nickel Perchlorate since SADS and AP are a bit scary :D

Laboratory of Liptakov - 28-3-2019 at 10:07

Anytime, when I manipulate with SADS, I am prayer to God. Anytime when is manipulate with CHP, I smoke and knocking ashes around own, without any pray.......:D....LL

snooby - 28-3-2019 at 12:10

Does some people have experience with Aminog-niperchlorate? Seems easy to make, but how sensitive is it?

Edit: i looked for info about this one, but I cannot find any info about this primary. Can someone post a link to a patent?
Edit: sorry, found it.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=463240&...

[Edited on 28-3-2019 by snooby]

[Edited on 28-3-2019 by snooby]

Simoski - 11-4-2019 at 05:26

I've only ever synthesised 2, acetone peroxide and HMTD.

I prefer HMTD as it feels less likely to jump up and eat my face off.

What is CHP?

Laboratory of Liptakov - 11-4-2019 at 12:13

CHP is a relatively new energy material invented 4 years ago. Its behavior is something between primary and secondary properties. It requires a solid metal cavity for reliable operation. It is less sensitive to friction. Loose in the air, or only weakly burned in a weak container without detonation. It is a mixture of TACP = teraamine copper perchlorate with admixture of hexamine, usually 4-8%. Preferably 6%....:cool:...LL
However, in slow heating in aluminium foil, in 8 layers of amount about 200 mg is detonation sure always.....:cool:...LL

MineMan - 11-4-2019 at 23:46

CHP is great. I take 200mg orally in gelatin capsules daily. Gives pep to my step. Also deepens the tone of music and keeps my thyroid on my toes! My T levels shot up from 577.4 to 3567.88. It’s gives me a glow that the ladies can’t pass up.

Laboratory of Liptakov - 12-4-2019 at 06:39

What...?..:o...It I must try also.....:D...LL

Simoski - 12-4-2019 at 11:52

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
CHP is a relatively new energy material invented 4 years ago. Its behavior is something between primary and secondary properties. It requires a solid metal cavity for reliable operation. It is less sensitive to friction. Loose in the air, or only weakly burned in a weak container without detonation. It is a mixture of TACP = teraamine copper perchlorate with admixture of hexamine, usually 4-8%. Preferably 6%....:cool:...LL
However, in slow heating in aluminium foil, in 8 layers of amount about 200 mg is detonation sure always.....:cool:...LL

: )

So copper haxamine perchlorate CHP.

Kind of like ETN... primary/secondary?

Laboratory of Liptakov - 12-4-2019 at 12:21

@..Simoski ,...Yes. For properties of useful is similar. But chemical base formula is diametral different. Closest with properties of CHP is nickel hydrazine nitrate NHN.

twelti - 12-4-2019 at 13:09

It is a mixture of TACP = teraamine copper perchlorate with admixture of hexamine, usually 4-8%. Preferably 6%....:cool:...LL

Hi LL, can you elaborate. you are able to get it to det by heatshock? 8 layers? i thought it required confinement.

I am wondering about heat shock in general. Is it not a viable alternative to a primary? For example, ETN seems easy to det using heat. is it not possible to make a electrical heater and detonate secondary directly? For example, i remember reading that a large enough amount of even AN can bet detonated by heating. Could one make use a resistive wire (coils) to set it off? I know that is not very precise for some purposes, but it would be very safe. No need for high voltages (EBW) or sensitive primaries. Stray current would not set it off too.

MineMan - 12-4-2019 at 18:24

Best bet would be to follow my ETN NPED protocall. In which the same could be done for CHP. Wrap 200mg of CHP in 8 layers of foil. Take 500mg of CHP in foil, then insert the 200mg of CHP (with the fuse) into the 500mg. Wrap with foil. The 200mg will deflagrate and heat the surrounding 500mg. Works with my ETN recipie, so should work better with CHP! Or. Make a hollow core in the CHP and fill with flash. If compatable. One only needs the imagination!!

Laboratory of Liptakov - 13-4-2019 at 12:33

@...twelti....Maybe is time try a new system MineMan-Liptakov initiator. Wrap 200mg CHP + 200 mg ETN (as mixture) in 8 layers of Alu foil. With insered normal resist bridge. And enclose 200 mg ETN ( in thin 3 layers Alu) on some side on this pear bag shape. And Wrap into 8 layers of alu foil again. Can be works maybe. Without thick metal cavity....:cool:...LL....Tomorrow I will try it. Very interest.....:D...LL

Laboratory of Liptakov - 14-4-2019 at 11:18

Described MineMan-Liptakov initiator was tested. Unfortunately, burning only.....:cool:...LL

twelti - 14-4-2019 at 14:23

Described MineMan-Liptakov initiator was tested. Unfortunately, burning only.....:cool:...LL

Do you know why it didn't work? Why the additional layers (pear shape???)

[Edited on 15-4-2019 by twelti]

Laboratory of Liptakov - 14-4-2019 at 22:31

Because MineMan system require slow heating ETN. It require use some slow thermite in center and ETN around as layer on alu foil. For electric type.
This construction is possible with the fuse easily, but not tested from me.

Simoski - 15-4-2019 at 09:39

Thermal shock detonation of ETN.

ETN wrapped in 3 layers alu foil, surrounded by black powder ,light the black powder with a fuse and win...

https://youtu.be/R2SR3nMS9Jw

[Edited on 16-4-2019 by Simoski]

MineMan - 16-4-2019 at 22:38

Because MineMan system require slow heating ETN. It require use some slow thermite in center and ETN around as layer on alu foil. For electric type.
This construction is possible with the fuse easily, but not tested from me.

LL. It worked without slow heating for me. However 10percent mg and 15-20 percent PP was added to the ETN. It worked nearly every time. May need to wrap electrical tape on outer layer. I think 200mg of flash in the middle works too.

Laboratory of Liptakov - 17-4-2019 at 01:46

Unfortunately your described mixture not works. Only deflagrated. 2 attepts in solid copper cavity, electric ignition, filling output segment pure ETN 0,25g. And your mixture ETN 0,75g + 0,1g Mg + 0,2g PP. Was pressed on 10 Kg as 3 segments as 3x 0,33g above. With center ignitor.

MineMan - 17-4-2019 at 13:13

Huh. What missle is your Mg? Mine was 5um.... I never tried it in a tube, only with foil and electrical tape.

Laboratory of Liptakov - 17-4-2019 at 21:39

My Mg is grey color, 5 years old. I estimate, that problem is in my Mg. Thanks.

MineMan - 18-4-2019 at 01:23

Did the copper tube expand at all, bubble, or did it just fizzle?

Laboratory of Liptakov - 18-4-2019 at 02:07

Copper tube disappeared into sawdust....:D....LL

MineMan - 19-4-2019 at 00:58

Copper tube disappeared into sawdust....:D....LL

Then the test did achieve DDT??? Rather the. Just... D

Laboratory of Liptakov - 19-4-2019 at 01:43

Not, on metal surface were not any damage. It was only deflagration. Same as from flash powder.

MineMan - 19-4-2019 at 08:35

Not, on metal surface were not any damage. It was only deflagration. Same as from flash powder.

I see. Would have thought it would have kicked the ETN off. It certianly came close. Anyways. CHP is safer and easier than ETN anyways.

CHP

Laboratory of Liptakov - 19-4-2019 at 10:11

Truth. CHP is, in terms of production, simpler than ETN. Much easier. Which must be recognized by anyone who has produced ETN at least once. But the CHP brizance is only 10-20% smaller than for ETN. It is not serious problem. CHP has the ability to initiate any secondary explosive, same as ETN. 1g CHP is as reliable as 0.7g ETN. And another thing. About ETN we know almost everything. But about CHP or TACP little. Which is a serious reason what researching TACP and his mixtures. TACP is ecological. Compared to ETN. What to do with consumed strong acids? I always have a problem with that. But what about ammonia water from the reaction for TACP? Almost no problem. Ammonia water from reaction is possible boil. After evsporate all NH3 we obtain water with CuO + NH4ClO4. Both compound is possible use for next synthesis. Is it almost closure circle of ecological process. Also is possible boil ammonia water and use cooler. And from all compounds in from waste, we create all starts parts again. Which is total closure ecological circle. In terms of production. Process preparation of TACP (and CHP) run simply at temperature 25 C. Nothing cooling, nothing heating. Maybe short drying 10 minute is at 50 C. But is it not condition.
I don't know better and stronger material, than TACP + fuel Dot......:cool:...LL
Even preparation TACP from NH4ClO4 + CuO + Ammonia water in closure container is without smell. Incredible comfort methode.

[Edited on 19-4-2019 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

FeedMe94 - 19-4-2019 at 12:49

Truth. CHP is, in terms of production, simpler than ETN. Much easier. Which must be recognized by anyone who has produced ETN at least once. But the CHP brizance is only 10-20% smaller than for ETN. It is not serious problem. CHP has the ability to initiate any secondary explosive, same as ETN. 1g CHP is as reliable as 0.7g ETN. And another thing. About ETN we know almost everything. But about CHP or TACP little. Which is a serious reason what researching TACP and his mixtures. TACP is ecological. Compared to ETN. What to do with consumed strong acids? I always have a problem with that. But what about ammonia water from the reaction for TACP? Almost no problem. Ammonia water from reaction is possible boil. After evsporate all NH3 we obtain water with CuO + NH4ClO4. Both compound is possible use for next synthesis. Is it almost closure circle of ecological process. Also is possible boil ammonia water and use cooler. And from all compounds in from waste, we create all starts parts again. Which is total closure ecological circle. In terms of production. Process preparation of TACP (and CHP) run simply at temperature 25 C. Nothing cooling, nothing heating. Maybe short drying 10 minute is at 50 C. But is it not condition.
I don't know better and stronger material, than TACP + fuel Dot......:cool:...LL
Even preparation TACP from NH4ClO4 + CuO + Ammonia water in closure container is without smell. Incredible comfort methode.

I cant wait to get AP on my hands. Dr you are teasing us so much :( :o :D

MineMan - 19-4-2019 at 13:45

I more than agree! I am surprised though, that sometimes TACP can go off with a small hammer wack, I wish it was less sensitive..... mixing with wax helps. But then how does one DDT?

CHP

Laboratory of Liptakov - 19-4-2019 at 21:08

I necessary determine exact ratio for wax. Is it fuel. 96 TACP + 4 wax = OB + 0,120. Maybe try only 2% wax + 4% hexamine = OB - 1,51. And try it. Only test show how to works. Some theory is pretty, but the attempt is crucial.

kratomiter - 21-4-2019 at 01:08

I use SADS + MHN in a plastic straw for small detonators, and p-DDNP for bigger ones. I've used also TACP for big ones, but it requires strong confinement.

Tsjerk - 30-6-2019 at 11:51

So you're heating a borderline primary with a borderline secondary in amounts that suffice to function as a detonator? Applause for you sir!

wessonsmith - 30-6-2019 at 11:56

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
So you're heating a borderline primary with a borderline secondary in amounts that suffice to function as a detonator? Applause for you sir!

I am heating, without flame, two energetics way below their reaction temperatures. We melt cast ETN all the time at that temp and NHN doesn't do anything until you reach passed 200°C. So there is absolutely no chance for anything bad to happen at the temperatures I am reccomending, simple physics and chemistry.:)

FYI here is what I use to heat my composition, also to cook my steaks:) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHYEGPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b...

[Edited on 30-6-2019 by wessonsmith]

[Edited on 30-6-2019 by wessonsmith]

Tsjerk - 30-6-2019 at 12:09

You didn't mention that when recommending it to the world.

Molten, ETN becomes as sensitive as TATP.

Attachment: LeaseNetal.pdf (295kB)
This file has been downloaded 387 times

[Edited on 30-6-2019 by Tsjerk]

wessonsmith - 30-6-2019 at 12:24

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
You didn't mention that when recommending it to the world.

Molten, ETN becomes as sensitive as TATP.

[Edited on 30-6-2019 by Tsjerk]

You are correct I will go back and edit my post. I am keenly aware of the sensitivity difference of ETN regarding molten vs solid phase. With my composition, you handle ETN in a solid state before heating and after. So you never need to touch it in the molten state. When I give advice I assume a basic understanding of the energetics that are being used by the user.

wessonsmith - 30-6-2019 at 12:38

Quote: Originally posted by Simoski  
Thermal shock detonation of ETN.

ETN wrapped in 3 layers alu foil, surrounded by black powder ,light the black powder with a fuse and win...

https://youtu.be/R2SR3nMS9Jw

[Edited on 16-4-2019 by Simoski]

I am reposting this due to a valid point that Tsjerk made. I did not specify when recommending the heating of the composition that I wasn’t using a flame source for heat. Also, there is no need to touch the heated composition until after it has cooled down, thus not interacting with the VERY sensitive molten ETN

Actually, a much simpler method for a thermal shock for ETN is to mix, dry, NHN and ETN together in a 40% NHN / 60% ETN composition and place in your detonator tube and heat at 185°F for 10 min. What you end up with is very powerful and relatively insensitive, for a primary, solid that when lightly confined will detonate with a simple Visco Fuse. The explosive composition has a +.88% oxygen balance. The positive OB% gives the composition added performance.

I use this composition for my firecrackers. My little firecrackers have the power of a #8 detonator without the fragment danger. My M80 size firecrackers are INSANELY powerful, basically twice the power of the old school M80's.

The temperature shown is a MUST. Lower or higher will result in a failed or not as powerful composition due to the excessive or under heating of the ETN. Also, I am NOT using a flame source for my heat. Using a flame to heat energetics is STUPID and everyone should have a basic understanding of that. If you use a flame to heat your energetic you WILL win your Darwin award.

It took some trial and error to get it just right. It's mind blowing how powerful this composition is.:) And since it's based on NHN and ETN it can sit on a shelf for decades and won't react with containers and isn't hygroscopic.

FYI here is what I use to heat my composition, also to cook my steaks:) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHYEGPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b...

Herr Haber - 1-7-2019 at 03:35

Quote: Originally posted by wessonsmith  
When I give advice I assume a basic understanding of the energetics that are being used by the user.

Assumptions on the Internet :)
I know how this experience ends !

Not only people become pig headed on the Internet but also written communication only passes on 7-8% of what a face to face conversation would.

wessonsmith - 1-7-2019 at 06:01

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
When I give advice I assume a basic understanding of the energetics that are being used by the user.

Assumptions on the Internet :)
I know how this experience ends !

Not only people become pig headed on the Internet but also written communication only passes on 7-8% of what a face to face conversation would.

To be fair I did say BASIC understanding. If the reader lacks a basic understanding of energetics, they shouldn't be messing with them.

Rosco Bodine - 1-7-2019 at 19:22

[snip] And since it's based on NHN and ETN it can sit on a shelf for decades [snip]

Based on what observation or reported information would you believe that ETN has stability sufficient for decades of storage?

Does the NHN function as a stabilizer for ETN?

Possibly with a stabilizer, perhaps like betaine or cyanoguanidine, such storage stability could be obtained, but pure ETN will discolor and decompose slightly at about 4 years in storage in the tropics.

Generally a mixture like a melt composite will have stability reduced to below the stability of the least stable component alone.

An exception for the case of ETN formed as a melt composite could be the mixture with PETN within the range where there is a cosolubility on fusion that results in a glass on cooling. Such a composite is however insensitive and difficult to initiate, the only advantage really being that it is powerful when it does high order detonate, but suffers the same duality as does blasting gelatin, and can low order detonate unless strongly overdriven at the start.

MineMan - 1-7-2019 at 22:41

Sound advice Rosco.

Agreed Wesson, probably not the stability for decades. But for amateur use 4 years is plenty. Keep up the great work Wesson.

I do have to say. We really need an EM with better stability and safety then ETN that is melt cast. I personally don’t like ETN. But s good solution none the less. I am more than intrigued. But would prefer straight NHN.

wessonsmith - 2-7-2019 at 04:41

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
Sound advice Rosco.

Agreed Wesson, probably not the stability for decades. But for amateur use 4 years is plenty. Keep up the great work Wesson.

I do have to say. We really need an EM with better stability and safety then ETN that is melt cast. I personally don’t like ETN. But s good solution none the less. I am more than intrigued. But would prefer straight NHN.

You can use straight NHN without ETN. 900mg of NHN alone in steel tubing will set off RDX/TNT main demolition charge 700g.

"Even NHN alone (900 mg) was found effective in this
regard. This may be an outcome of built up of high
pressure due to higher strength of material of
construction of the detonator tube No. 10 than that of
detonator No. 27"

( p.680 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cj-XZd5EceagKZ7rZqdIH-4pSHu... )

[Edited on 3-7-2019 by wessonsmith]

Rosco Bodine - 3-7-2019 at 12:47

What is the CE acronym mentioned in the article?

wessonsmith - 3-7-2019 at 13:00

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  
What is the CE acronym mentioned in the article?

Yeah, I had to look that one up too:) CE refers to Tetryl. It's one of the synonyms for Tetryl.

Tetryl; (Trinitrophenyl)methylnitramine; CE; N-Methyl-N-picrylnitramine; N-Picryl-N-methylnitramine; Nitramine; Picrylmethylnitramine; Picrylnitromethylamine; Tetralit; Tetralite; Tetril; 2,4,6-Tetryl; Tétryl; Tetrile

[Edited on 3-7-2019 by wessonsmith]

Rosco Bodine - 3-7-2019 at 14:46

Early patent references to NHN reported a larger than usual critical diameter for DDT of the compressed powder, something like 7-8 mm IIRC.

GB821586 attached to the linked post

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1778&a...

That may explain why the porous structure is required, as that generally tends to reduce the critical diameter. Glass microballoons like are used for thixotropic thickening and density lowering for casting resins and fiberglass work are sold at boating and marine supply stores. Mixing in a couple of percent of the glass microballoons could tune the completely fused at higher temperature composite so that it functions normally.

Nickel Semicarbazide Nitrate is also mentioned in the patent.

And while the perchlorate variant of the Nickel Hydrazine complex is infamous and notoriously dangerously sensitive

5 grams took off 3 fingers of a college student in Texas ....oops and uh oh on that maneuver

https://cen.acs.org/articles/88/i34/Texas-Tech-Lessons.html

....there is no reference I have found about the Semicarbazide complex of Nickel Perchlorate...which could be worthwhile if it doesn't share the same instability as the hydrazine Nickel perchlorate complex.

Betaine perchlorate is another material worth investigation. It is energetic by itself and also capable of complexing metal perchlorates.....as is the same for glycine. Typically these would displace and partly or completely replace the ammonium from the ammonium complexed metallic salt in solution.

[Edited on 7/3/2019 by Rosco Bodine]

wessonsmith - 3-7-2019 at 15:31

Early patent references to NHN reported a larger than usual critical diameter for DDT of the compressed powder, something like 9-10 mm IIRC. That may explain why the porous structure is required, as that generally tends to reduce the critical diameter. Glass microballoons like are used for thixotropic thickening and density lowering for casting resins and fiberglass work are sold at boating and marine supply stores. Mixing in a couple of percent of the glass microballoons could tune the completely fused at higher temperature composite so that it functions normally.

And while the perchlorate variant of the Nickel Hydrazine complex is infamous and notoriously dangerously sensitive

5 grams took off 3 fingers of a college student in Texas ....oops and uh oh on that maneuver

....there is no reference I have found about the Semicarbazide complex of Nickel Perchlorate...which could be worthwhile if it doesn't share the same instability as the hydrazine Nickel perchlorate complex.

Betaine perchlorate is another material worth investigation. It is energetic by itself and also capable of complexing metal perchlorates.....as is the same for glycine. Typically these would displace and partly or completely replace the ammonium from the ammonium complexed metallic salt in solution.

[Edited on 7/3/2019 by Rosco Bodine]

Interesting info, thanks. I can confirm my Dextrinated NHN by its self will detonate in 5.6mm internal diameter steel tubing. All my robust detonators have been based on that internal diameter for a few years now with great effect.

One thing NHN likes/needs is column height. It seems that there is a necessary minimum of height for the NHN to reliably make the DDT. In my case a column height of 6.5mm with 300mg of NHN for a density of 1.6g/cm3

I have heard of microballoons being used to increase the sensitivity of explosive compositions, in my case, this would not be helpful, my composition is sensitive enough.

I was able to detonate the non-heat treated binary composition using the method I described in the update, but when using just a Visco fuse on the non-heat treated composition it acts more like flash powder. It is mindblowing to me that I was able to find, through experimentation, the proper temperature and time of heat treatment for the cardboard firecracker tubes. I should note that even the much larger diameter cardboard tube 14.7mm internal diameter also detonates with the same temp and time.

Using plastic and steel tubing requires very different time and temp profile, which I haven't yet successfully figured out:( Obviously, the temp range is between 65C - 90C. Getting that temp and time though is the trick.

[Edited on 4-7-2019 by wessonsmith]

Rosco Bodine - 4-7-2019 at 06:39

Early patent references to NHN reported a larger than usual critical diameter for DDT of the compressed powder, something like 9-10 mm IIRC. That may explain why the porous structure is required, as that generally tends to reduce the critical diameter. Glass microballoons like are used for thixotropic thickening and density lowering for casting resins and fiberglass work are sold at boating and marine supply stores. Mixing in a couple of percent of the glass microballoons could tune the completely fused at higher temperature composite so that it functions normally.

[Edited on 7/3/2019 by Rosco Bodine][/rquote]

Interesting info, thanks. I can confirm my Dextrinated NHN by its self will detonate in 5.6mm internal diameter steel tubing. All my robust detonators have been based on that internal diameter for a few years now with great effect.

Dextrination or different crystal modifiers is generally used to reduce crystal size for more sensitive materials. Every detonator is a sort of integrated system firing train where the optimum efficiency can differ depending on what parameter is being optimized, for example there is a tradeoff between economy and performance and reliability / storage endurance [shelf life].

Quote:

One thing NHN likes/needs is column height. It seems that there is a necessary minimum of height for the NHN to reliably make the DDT. In my case a column height of 6.5mm with 300mg of NHN for a density of 1.6g/cm3

Runup distance for DDT is reduced, affected inversely by column diameter and strength of confinement, and where it is extreme there is used a progressive density loading in combination with the other factors....the idea being to facilitate the "cookoff" and get to high order detonation for a lowest practical mass. That kind of tuning and algebra applies to initiators that are not unequivocal initiators that simply high order without any special treatment seeking favorable conditions for DDT because the favorable conditions exist already in even a very tiny amount sometimes even in a single crystal of an unequivocal initiator.

Quote:

I have heard of microballoons being used to increase the sensitivity of explosive compositions, in my case, this would not be helpful, my composition is sensitive enough.

It isn't about sensitivity per se ...and a hard grit like solid glass or fine sand would be used to increase sensitivity. Empty spaces like bubbles are used to lower density and provide adiabatic heating to create micro "hot spots" and reduce critical diameter. Emulsions that have a critical diameter of 15 cm and require a booster to initiate can become cap sensitive at 1 cm when microbubbles are included. So density can cause an order of magnitude difference for 1 parameter that imports a second parameter in the bargain.

Quote:

I was able to detonate the non-heat treated binary composition using the method I described in the update, but when using just a Visco fuse on the non-heat treated composition it acts more like flash powder. It is mindblowing to me that I was able to find, through experimentation, the proper temperature and time of heat treatment for the cardboard firecracker tubes. I should note that even the much larger diameter cardboard tube 14.7mm internal diameter also detonates with the same temp and time.

Using plastic and steel tubing requires very different time and temp profile, which I haven't yet successfully figured out:( Obviously, the temp range is between 65C - 90C. Getting that temp and time though is the trick.

Strength of confinement difference will cause an increase in critical diameter for a plastic detonator capsule....it can easily double that parameter. I often use poly culture tubes for spot testing and that has been a general observation that for a detuned system being tested as a firing train it roughly doubles what is needed for a highly tuned and optimized configuration, and that follows for the entire device. If expediency is the more important parameter than economy and efficient use of minimum amounts of energetic material, simply doubling amounts or even tripling what would be needed in a tuned and optimized system will get the job done. :D

Blowing the hell out of something isn't likely to be a job ruined like putting too much salt in a pot of chili .....So it is generally just fine if there is a bigger crater where the kitchen used to be, than was the minimized hole in the ground intended ....Hey a bonus is provided for a better outcome than an inadequate performance that would leave one wanting ....and asking is that all you've got?

Had a couple of past dates go that way ....
and had to send 'em back to school.
Hey they will get it right eventually and
maybe come back to see me when they
know how the story goes. Hot little lynxes
are all welcome and God bless 'em all :D
but no cold and dominating feminazi bitches need apply. :P

Thanks Rosco

wessonsmith - 4-7-2019 at 10:09

I appreciate the detailed response.

caterpillar - 7-7-2019 at 21:32

Look, guys, what I've found: https://miningandblasting.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/primar...

twelti - 7-7-2019 at 22:18

Quote: Originally posted by caterpillar  
Look, guys, what I've found: https://miningandblasting.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/primar...

I've see it. I always wondered about the "milk booster". Sounds like casein nitrate of some sort.

caterpillar - 8-7-2019 at 01:23

Quote: Originally posted by twelti  

I've see it. I always wondered about the "milk booster". Sounds like casein nitrate of some sort.

Maybe. But it is not what I would use. And Ag2C2. The typical CPOS- the Cheap Piece Of Shit. Weak and too sensitive. The double salt Ag2C2.AgNO3 is more powerful and less sensitive. And Cu2C2 is something beyond critic.

wessonsmith - 8-7-2019 at 04:16

Quote: Originally posted by caterpillar  

Ahh, the good ole days of HMTD and Acetone peroxide. :)

You can tell this was published in 1998. "The drawback to NITROMANNITE is that Mannose is not readily available." Before eBay, Amazon, and Alibaba:)

MineMan - 8-7-2019 at 07:49

I am thinking there must be some good primaries based on carbohydrazide...

Rosco Bodine - 13-9-2019 at 17:37

I think you are correct. I think it is also possible that the NCP can form compound salts like could happen for example if a solution of nickel perchlorate or copper perchlorate was gradually added to a solution of mixed carbohydrazide in solution along with glycine or betaine ...that the result might be a compound mixed salt having interesting properties. Copper perchlorate might function similarly.

Attachment: NCP India Patent.pdf (32kB)
This file has been downloaded 335 times

MineMan - 14-9-2019 at 13:08

I think you are correct. I think it is also possible that the NCP can form compound salts like could happen for example if a solution of nickel perchlorate or copper perchlorate was gradually added to a solution of mixed carbohydrazide in solution along with glycine or betaine ...that the result might be a compound mixed salt having interesting properties. Copper perchlorate might function similarly.

Nickel AminoGuanidine Perchlorate is simply made in a hot water solution... your suggesting the same can be made with carbohydrazide...

My recollection though is amminoguanidine is a more favorable molecule than carbohydrazide.....no?

Rosco Bodine - 14-9-2019 at 16:37

I have no information that compares the aminoguanidine complex to the carbohydrazide, so it is unknown what is better.

This topic goes back to 3 years ago when username who is tetrazole lover posted a bit for a short time at SM

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=68004&...

The formation of a monohydrate complex of Copper could possibly be avoided by the formation of a double salt between that glycine complex with another Copper complex perchlorate having aminoguanidine or carbohydrazide.

If the glycine complex which is cheap could be improved by appearing as the anhydrous form and combined with an even more energetic complex ...a very good synergistic material could result.

It looks favorable in terms of economy for the copper aminoguanidine perchlorate complex to be attempted to form a double or compound salt with copper glycine perchlorate, and if possible then the aminoguanidine complex should enhance and complement the copper glycine perchlorate to form a synergistic "mixed" composition, particularly if the water of monohydration is eliminated for the glycine complex portion of the compound salt.

[Edited on 9/15/2019 by Rosco Bodine]

But what do I know

franklyn - 18-9-2019 at 23:11

The Democrat primary is sidesplitting. :D

Rosco Bodine - 21-9-2019 at 17:11

It's not break time until I say it's break time ......soooo...

It's BREAK TIME !

Enjoy....a departure from the mundane, this lovely offering of the sublime......
valued for exquisite good taste, a free sample of class and culture,
from Russia with love ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TODTjWWkiY

[Edited on 9/22/2019 by Rosco Bodine]