Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Homemade carbon electrodes
Hexabromobenzene
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-2-2024 at 21:35

I conducted several more experiments with electrodes with saturated polyurethane varnishes and alkyd. After pyrolysis, all of them become and sound like ceramic with a weak blow. The impregnation of thermoreactive resin turns them into a semblance of glassy carbon. Theoretically, you can bake a mixture of coal with thermorectative resin without sugar. However, thermoreactive resins are prone to cracking when heated. It is probably better to bake carbon foam from coal powder and sugar, but only then soak it with thermoreactive resin. This resembles a reinforcement of epoxy fiberglass

The more affordable composition of sugar and phosphate ammonium was founded. This glue forms a crosslinked polymer and gives 2 times more carbon than with sugar pyrolysis

[Edited on 19-2-2024 by Hexabromobenzene]
Hexabromobenzene
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-4-2024 at 13:26

I found a cheaper and effective replacement of binder sugar for the production of carbon electrodes!
Sugar forms only 20% carbon for pyrolysis, which is very small. Also, carbon foam from sugar has small strength
I recently found information on sugar-amino adhesives. The simplest diammonium sugar phosphate 80 20. This glue, unlike sugar, forms a crosslinked polymer and gives up to 60% carbon for pyrolysis. However, a large amount of phosphorus will be a problem when baking the carbon electrode
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6960737/

More recently, I invented my binder for electrodes based on wheat flour:

150 grams of wheat flour, 200 ml of water and 30ml 15% hydrochloric acid is mixed and heats up in a boiling water bath 10 hours .Gluten reacts with sugar in an acidic medium with the formation of soluble amino products.
During pyrolysis, this glue behaves differently than sugar or molasses made of starch. First, the excess of glucose decomposes. Then there is a reaction between sugar and dissolved protein with the formation of a crosslinked polymer, which is charred (the smell differs from the smell of burnt sugar). The result is much more carbon than from the clean sugars and it has greater mechanical strength.

For the manufacture of carbon electrodes, I recommend using this glue. However, with it will not be possible to make a whole piece of carbon without pores. To do this, you need a polymer that is become solid at a ROOM TEMPERATURE to avoid the formation of gas bubbles.

[Edited on 8-4-2024 by Hexabromobenzene]
Hexabromobenzene
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-4-2024 at 20:07

I experienced another binder for carbon electrodes. This time from oatmeal.
900 grams of oatmeal 1.5 liters of water and 120 ml of 15% hydrochloric acid were mixed and heat about 1 day at 90-100 degrees. The resulting liquid smells like apples and cinnamon
During filtering, it was lost up to half the solution. This is probably due to cellulose . When using wheat flour, filtration is not required

The carbonization of this solution showed that it forms significant amounts of carbon (possibly more than from wheat flour) more strong than from sugar. Unlike the binder from wheat flour during carbonization, there was no smell of burnt sugar.
This means that all glucose reacted with proteins. Wheat flour contains 80% starch and 10% protein. Oatmeal contain 70% starch and 13% protein
Probably in oatmeal, the ratio of carbohydrates and proteins closer to the stichiometric

Definitely sugar-amine binder is better than sugar for the manufacture of carbon electrodes

[Edited on 20-4-2024 by Hexabromobenzene]

[Edited on 20-4-2024 by Hexabromobenzene]
Hexabromobenzene
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-4-2024 at 15:13

Another binder for carbon electrodes was prepared. Gluten was extracted from 1200 grams of wheat flour using water and added to 700 grams of flour. 1000 ml of water and 100 ml of 15% hydrochloric acid were added to the gluten and flour mixture
The mixture was also heated to 90-100 degrees for 1 day. When carbonation, there was no burnt sugar smell like a binder without gluten addition flour.
The carbon produced from this binder is different from the previous one. It is less foam-like and harder than the previous 2

Conclusion: for a more complete reaction with sugars in flour, 2-3 times more protein is required than what was initially in the flour.
Bran contains a suitable ratio of proteins and sugars. There are also a lot of pentoses, which quickly form addition products with amino acids
However, lignin and cellulose residues create problems during filtration

Many strong odors are observed during the preparation of binders. Sometimes it looks like cinnamon, sometimes like parquet varnish or chipboard glue.
These are probably reaction products of Maillard reaction and similar

[Edited on 21-4-2024 by Hexabromobenzene]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top