Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Fitting a Ground Glass Joint to a Steel Plate
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-11-2018 at 14:46

^ If you sold those, I think you'd get some buyers here.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2018 at 14:50

Yes. I would like four of those in 24/29.

[Edited on 15-11-2018 by JJay]

Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-11-2018 at 23:04

I'd be in for two also 24/29. This is this perfect thing for a paint can attachment.
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-11-2018 at 23:11

Also I'm wondering why there isn't a "buy/sell" forum here? I'd rather deal with people here first before Ebay.
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 16-11-2018 at 01:09

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Rogers  
I'd be in for two also 24/29. This is this perfect thing for a paint can attachment.

Depends on what your intentions are regarding the reagents and temperatures used...you might not need to have it made from PTFE, but may get away with something much less expensive. Like PE PP or the like....
Or one could turn the main fitting body from a suitable metal and have a PTFE conical inlay or gasket sections to secure the glass fitting. Although this is much more work than just turning the lot out of the plastic material. Would be more durable in mechanical terms though...

Well, my lathe gave up the ghost lately so I can not physically machine anything until a replacement motor arrives. I feel totally disabled! It is frustrating to not be able to perform the simplest tasks that require getting material into suitable shape and dimensions.
In theory I can help you out if you are in dire need, but I'm not seeking to turn this into a career :D :D

In the long run one would be much better off getting a small lathe and acquiring basic machining skills to operate it than trying to order specialty fittings from someone else. It is wonderful how many options suddenly become available when you have the possibility to machine stuff. Even a half decent mini lathe shall do most of the work that we as amateur experimenters could require in terms of the equipment.

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 16-11-2018 at 04:45

Also I'm wondering why there isn't a "buy/sell" forum here? I'd rather deal with people here first before Ebay.

The subforum 'Reagents and Apparatus Acquisition' serves that purpose I think

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 16-11-2018 at 05:07

Quote: Originally posted by markx  

In the long run one would be much better off getting a small lathe and acquiring basic machining skills to operate it than trying to order specialty fittings from someone else. It is wonderful how many options suddenly become available when you have the possibility to machine stuff. Even a half decent mini lathe shall do most of the work that we as amateur experimenters could require in terms of the equipment.

That would be ideal only if you have the space, a lathe is really useful, but also a welder, an oxy-propane torch, glass blowing equipment and so on. Not everybody has the space or money, sometimes you just need 1 thing, and buying everything needed to build it it's not worth it. Trust me I'd love to make everything by myself, but I don't have the space to store everything.
You'll make a few bucks by selling your adapters, good for everyone:)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-11-2018 at 05:17

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  

The subforum 'Reagents and Apparatus Acquisition' serves that purpose I think

Oh, OK... Some forums get really cranky at people selling things. :P
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 16-11-2018 at 05:44

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  

That would be ideal only if you have the space, a lathe is really useful, but also a welder, an oxy-propane torch, glass blowing equipment and so on. Not everybody has the space or money, sometimes you just need 1 thing, and buying everything needed to build it it's not worth it. Trust me I'd love to make everything by myself, but I don't have the space to store everything.
You'll make a few bucks by selling your adapters, good for everyone:)

Ya...it's true, actually I am in need of more space too. I've been squatting with my workshop at my employers premises and it's ok, but I would really like to upgrade and have one in my own cave. Get a bigger lathe and a mill. But shiish the cost and hassle that comes with it all...considering the real estate prices lately I do not know wether to cry or throw up :D

I'll first try to get my machine running again and if there is still a fierce demand in the gadgets then the interested parties can send me a pm and we can perhaps work out an agreement, Ok?

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top