Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mylar wrapping
TetraCo
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 01:03
Mylar wrapping

Lately, as I was wrapping christmas gifts, I was wondering how military-grade C-4 and other HE's are packaged prior to use. Several sources around the internet say that it is "packed in a Mylar-film container", but not much more.

In one publication, "Mechanical Properties Characterization and Accelerated Aging of Comp C-4 Explosive", they show an image which appears to come from one of the patents, showing the Mylar bag to have an opening at only one end, and using a clip seal. I can't imagine thermal sealing of the Mylar being used to create the bag, as this would require temperatures of around 250°C, and while I can't find much thermal data on C-4, I doubt this kind of temperature would be desired.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with how the Mylar bags are formed? And are they formed prior to placing the C-4 inside or is the bag assembled around it?

P.S. Due to the nature of this post, I felt like it was better here than in Miscellaneous section, but if I'm wrong I'll move it.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 10:02

First hit first search:
https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=210215

310 degrees Farhenheit is not that high, and sealing it at that temperature doesn't mean the C-4 reaches that temperature by far. The bag is closed and the air surrounding it gets hot enough to seal the plastic, making it shrink, and by the time it shrunk it rolls of the belt and the process is done.

Go To Top