Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Apples, Cider, Vinegar question
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-11-2018 at 04:52
Apples, Cider, Vinegar question

I fermented 6 kg apples in 10 litres of water using bakers yeast,
when fermentation was complete I added some vinegar 'mother' to the filtered liquid and gently aerated it.
Judging by smell there is a lot of acetic acid formed.

I used the pulp recovered from the above to start a new batch,
this time with added sugar (target=13%ABV) to increase the alchohol hence acetic acid concentration.
The fermentation started normally but soon began to smell of acetic acid.
The two fermentations are side by side so cross-contamination was anticipated, but not expected.

The 'used apples' plus sugar to ethanol fermentation stopped much too soon - two days.

Will fermentation proceed to acetic acid ?

Should I aerate the fermentation ?

Can I just combine the two fermentations and get concentrated vinegar after fermentation is complete ?

[Edited on 30-11-2018 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 30-11-2018 at 15:09

Production of alcohol via yeast + sugar requires anaerobic conditions, otherwise you just get CO2 and water and no alcohol.
You need alcohol to get acetic acid by the action of acetobacter + aeration.

So I doubt you can just combine the two and expect high conc vinegar - the process conditions would appear to be in opposition. It looks to me like you have to go through a two step process.

[Edited on 30-11-2018 by Twospoons]

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 05:12

I would use natural (like organic) apples as the pesticides residue on the skin of the apples may not be friendly to anything (including required bacteria).

Note, it may be cheaper with superior results just to buy apple cider vinegar commonly sold in grocery stores!
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 05:48

Pesticides don't influence fermentation as fruit sold for consumption contains so little antifungals it won't hurt bakers yeast. Actually, all antifungals are toxic to humans, so regulations on end product concentrations are strict, and definitly below active levels.

Besides that, why would his first fermentation work, but not his second if it was because of pesticides... Acetobacter is only inhibited by antibiotics, which are not used in agriculture.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 07:45

In particular, however, a copper based pesticide (for example, copper ammonium carbonate) is very toxic to many microorganism in small doses (see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22030247 and also https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC93308/).

However, copper is better tolerated by large living entities (like people but not perhaps your pet fish), so if a few apples have a small Cu residue not completely washed off, not a problem for people, but it could be an issue for bacteria.

The reason why the 2nd run could have failed is that the threshold for heavy metal toxicity may have been reached. A good clue, as whether this may be the case, would be if other runs are failing also.
-----------------------------

This sort of reminds me of the case of the fish tank that had a brass connector installed. When the tank wasn't cleaned for a period of time, then ammonia levels jumped from waste produced by the fish. The NH3 attacked the brass with the help of oxygen (from an air pump) forming a copper ammonium complex. Then, everything living, including plants, in the fish tank died. Attempts to clean the tank, so that new fish would live, prove futile.

[Edited on 2-12-2018 by AJKOER]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 08:07

The apples are from my garden, which is 'organic' as I like eating stuff as I wander around.

I must have inadvertantly transfered the acetic acid bacteria from the first fermentation of ethanol to acetic acid
to the second fermentation of sugars to ethanol, before the sugar was consumed.

Unless I learn something new,
I will combine the two fermentations, allowing filtered atmospheric air exchange, and check on it sometime next year.
There are acetic acid bacteria that can aerobically convert sugars to acetic acid so I hope some are present.

happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 12:00

It will certainly be vinegar in a year or so. The best tasting vinegars however take a little more care in preparing, especially during that first fermentation. If I were you though I would definitely try to accelerate the conversion of the sugar into alcohol, and strain everything through cloth if you haven't already. You don't want pulp in your mix or it will produce excessive acetone and fusels.

Be on the lookout for furry growth on the surface (you don't want that). If you do get growth, all is not lost. Just place the lot of it in a pot (or flask) with a lid and reflux briskly but not excessively (so as to minimize loss of etOH). Let cool (resist urge to lift lid) and place in clean container with at least 20% headspace and provision for clean aeration.

Also be aware that you will go through a phase where the malic acid is converted to lactic acid. This happens with wine vinegars also but is (for obvious reasons) especially noticeable when making apple cider vinegar. During this conversion you might get a waxy film on top (different from the slimy film of acetobacter colony biomass) and a strong smell of cheese. Don't think that your vinegar is ruined at this point, it is a natural part of the process.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 14:14
Thank You

I'll filter both batches asap.

Thanks for the 'cheese smell' warning
- I imagine I could throw it away as ruined.

" The best tasting vinegars however take a little more care in preparing, especially during that first fermentation."
... any recommended reading
...........................................................................................
@Twospoons: "- the process conditions would appear to be in opposition."
that's what I thought, and why I asked the question.
The second fermentation now has a gel-like layer on top which may allow the acetic acid bacteria to act aerobically at the surface while the yeast ferments sugar anaerobically lower down - maybe.

@AJKOER: I had a lot of apples this year but they do not store well so I decided to make cider vinegar
- and started immediately without any prior research.
IF I had performed even the briefest research,
I would have fermented the filtered juice of pressed apples,
rather than a watery slurry of diced apples.

[Edited on 2-12-2018 by Sulaiman]

Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 16:44

Frankly I think you should have stopped your fermentation at "cider". :D
I made a dry sparkling cider from my own apples and crab apples one year. Most enjoyable.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2018 at 15:54

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

... any recommended reading

Actually one of the best sources for a comprehensive and detailed outline of vinegar porduction can be found in the book "Industrial Fermentations" in the forum library. Page 292
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2018 at 17:21

Thanks for the reference - never noticed that book.
I've downloaded it and read a little ... lots more to read ... good book.

Go To Top