Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Inorganic acid/alcohol Ester Explorations
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

shocked.gif posted on 1-12-2003 at 23:16
Inorganic acid/alcohol Ester Explorations

In accordance with a number of other topics, I always wondered this one - hence explorations!

Ok, there are many versions of inorganic acid - organic alcohol esters. Examples are ethyl sulpates, or my all time favorite, boric acid tri methyl ester, B(OCH3)3
The latter gives a beautiful green flame when burned, and is easily prepared (mix boric acid and CH3OH, plus a little H2SO4, and set fire to it!)
So... what are the uses of those esters? Especially of the latter ones, they are so damn easy to prepare!!

One example has been given, see the thread on ethyl perchlorate. I am sure there are many other wicked uses to those esters, questions is, what are they?
I need your help on this!

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 2-12-2003 at 14:19
sodium borohydride

The methyl ester of boric acid is reacted with finely divided sodium hydride in a high-BP solvent to make sodium borohydride. It would almost be a worthy challenge for the ambitious home chemist, but I just can't see myself making my own sodium hydride, even if I prepared sodium metal (unless there are some sneaky easy routes to sodium hydride that don't involve hot sodium and hydrogen).
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 2-12-2003 at 20:43

Interesting! Sadly unrealistic for the average amateur chemist!
hmm, but what I was wondering was that whether alcoholesters of inorganic acis would be useful as an alcohol-ylating agent, or alkylating agent, for instance. I just cant imagine boric acid trimethy/ethyl/etc ester cant be used for anythikng but burning it!!

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)

Go To Top