Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Laboratory Tips and Tricks
Sublimatus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2013 at 15:15

Pro Tip: Get yourself one of those cheap little toaster ovens.

They're great for drying salts, powders, and glassware.

The best part is that it will save you the wrath of the Mrs., girlfriend, or mother. Nothing gets you on the shit list like putting chemicals?! in the oven. No amount of smooth talk will convince her that your covered magnesium sulfate has not just contaminated every meal that will ever be cooked again with radioactive, spooky toxins.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2013 at 17:11

Quote: Originally posted by Sublimatus  

The best part is that it will save you the wrath of the Mrs., girlfriend, or mother. Nothing gets you on the shit list like putting chemicals?! in the oven. No amount of smooth talk will convince her that your covered magnesium sulfate has not just contaminated every meal that will ever be cooked again with radioactive, spooky toxins.

Amen to that! My little 20$ toaster oven had worked miracles and saved me from kitchen related wrath :)
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2015 at 13:44
Burger patty papers

Lots of grocery stores have these. Burger patty papers, pre-cut squares of wax paper, 1000 to a box for 2$. They're ideal for weighing chemicals, putting dirty scoops and spatulas on, covering various evaporating dishes etc. For the quantity and cost they are wonderful to have around to quickly grab when needed
image.jpg - 964kB

[Edited on 28-1-2015 by Mailinmypocket]

Note to self: Tare the damned flask.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 28-1-2015 at 14:11

Quote: Originally posted by Sublimatus  

Oh my god! Pretty much the exact response from my wife over drying magnesium sulfate in the oven.

I have also gotten speech that she will leave me if I blow myself up. I haven't touched any energetic materials whatsoever, but it is still a pain to have to explain myself and what I am doing.

A toaster oven sounds delightful.
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 11:50

1. Cover the openings of your clean glassware with parafilm or aluminum foil when not in use to stop dust from collecting in/on them

2. Having trouble getting that gunk out of your rbf? Add some fine sand and swirl with water.

3. Instead of buying overpriced cork rings for holding rbs, simply cut off an inch of appropriately sized pvc pipe.

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 13-9-2015 at 12:24

For RBFs i use a roll of masking tape.
< €1 and i get to use the tape as well.

The clingfilm idea is great.

Shame CHRIS25 doesn't visit here these days, he likes clingfilm.

Edit:

Toaster ovens are good for soldering up an all-Surface Mount PCB as well.

[Edited on 13-9-2015 by aga]

mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 20-6-2019 at 11:28

I came across this trick at work; I don't know how useful this is above the microliter scale, but it was too cute not to share.

A typical DNA extraction protocol includes a chloroform washing, in which the collected biojuices are mixed with chloroform (and usually phenol), which dissolves fats and proteins and such but leaves nucleic acids in the aqueous layer. As they are wont to do, the chloroform and water mixture form an emulsion, but a few minutes in the centrifuge break it easily.

The problem then is to collect the upper aqueous layer without the chloroform. We don't have tiny sep funnels, so this takes careful pipette work, and can lead to significant losses at a small scale.

But! We just started using a new protocol which involves something called "phase lock gel". This is basically just silicone grease, with a density intermediate to water and chloroform, and insoluble in both. A bit of this is added to the extraction mixture before centrifuging. When it pops out, the three substances have separated into layers: chloroform at the bottom, water at the top, and grease forming a convenient barrier between them. The upper layer can then be easily separated by pipette, or even just pouring!

Brand-name PLG costs $$$, but generic silicone grease can apparently be substituted. Here's some DIY tests with it:
https://bitesizebio.com/18944/diy-phase-separating-gel-clean...

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 26-8-2019 at 23:38

when youre trying to wash out solids from a beaker, instead of adding water and then turning it upside down, turn it 45* pointing downwards and with a spraybottle blow water into the beaker, the water coats the whole beaker, coalesces at some point, pulls everything out of the beaker.

to quickly dry up glassware acetone vapours can coalesce water, just opening a bottle of acetone and holding it to entrance you will see the water coalescing, acetone can then be used to fully dry it out, taking advantage of the high vapor pressure of acetone you can hold it under hot water

for drying out filtrate you fold the filte in half, dab it with paper. doing large scale stuff i used newspapers and basically this method, the paper helps to drag out the liquid over time

attaching a small computer fan to a beaker, preferably the fan pulls the air out of the beaker greatly enhances the evaporation rate, i removed i believe 230mL in an hour from a 1000mL beaker- for quicker evaporation you just increase surface area, glass pans that were originally meant for cooking food in oven works plenty fine.

now this is really just a ghetto filter, pressure filtration. ive thought about stepping this creation up a notch but it works well for small scale stuff. you just take a small plastic container, punch holes in bottom, throw in some wool, wetten it, put whatever you wanna filter into it after pressing cotton wool flat and then you with mouth pressure blow it through, you of course dont wanna use this device with toxic chemicals, but ive pulled half a litre of liquid through this very fast, within minutes.
bicycle pump might be used for this

for using butane as solvent, you just stuff it in freezer. comes out liquid

powdering viscous substances you stuff them in freezer, they become brittle. can be crushed with a steel rod with a twisting motion

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top