Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: This is a lovely article on amateur chemistry.
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 15-1-2004 at 17:34
This is a lovely article on amateur chemistry.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/284/5411/55

and this is very unfortunate.

http://www.the-scientist.com/yr1996/july/let1_960722.html

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by Hermes_Trismegistus]

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 15-1-2004 at 20:34

Care to give us a synopsis on the second article? I'm not going to register to read one piece.
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 15-1-2004 at 21:51
Polverone........full article.

Letter

Amateur Science
By Forrest M. Mims III

Thank you for Bruce V. Bigelow's article on amateur science (The Scientist, June 10, 1996, page 1). Prior to this century, most science was conducted by people with little or no formal scientific training. Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, Charles Darwin, and Michael Faraday come to mind.

Even today, a Ph.D. is not a prerequisite for making discoveries and publishing one's findings in peer-reviewed literature. A classic example is Donald Parker, a Florida anesthesiologist who spends his evenings making extraordinary photographs of planets with a homemade telescope. Parker has discovered storms on Saturn.

I would like to clarify two matters. While it is correct that a government scientist ordered me not to visit Mauna Loa Observatory (MLO) in 1995, he changed his mind after I explained what I do and reminded him that MLO is on a public road, albeit a very remote one. The visits to MLO, which I have made annually since 1992, are to calibrate various instruments that I have designed for the Sun Photometer Atmospheric Network (SPAN) and for use by students.

I have just returned from this year's visit to MLO, where for the fourth year I took the class I teach at the University of the Nations in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, on a tour of MLO. These students come from all over the world, and they are always appreciative of MLO director Russ Schnell's highly informative lectures about the vital atmospheric monitoring programs at MLO.

Finally, I lost "The Amateur Scientist" column at Scientific American solely because my response to questions about Darwinism, abortion, and the Bible were considered potentially "embarrassing." The editor never questioned the quality of my science, and he was generous in his evaluation of the three columns he published (F.M. Mims III, Scientific American, 262:130-3, June 1990; 263:106-9, August 1990; 263:126-9, October 1990).

The editor's positive evaluation of my columns and his concerns about my personal religious beliefs were published in Harper's ("Science's Litmus Test," 282:28-32, March 1991) and here.

Aside from this unfortunate episode, the only obstacles I have faced in pursuing science are the same ones professionals deal with every day: revising papers to satisfy peer reviewers and lack of time and money. I have excellent relations with many university and government scientists, some of whom have coauthored papers with me.

In 1995, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration sent me to Brazil to make atmospheric and solar measurements during the burning season, and the Environmental Protection Agency placed one of its Brewer spectrophotometers at my site for a 62-day comparison with my instruments. And one of my ozone instruments was used during the historic circumnavigation of North America by a Canadian ice cutter in 1994. These and many other opportunities were unsolicited.

As for Scientific American, the magazine has a new editor, and I am happy to report that he published my letter (after peer review) on the possible impact on amphibians of the redistribution of solar ultraviolet radiation by haze (F.M. Mims III, "Vanishing Frogs," Scientific American, 273:10, September 1995). Eventually I hope to again contribute articles to its pages.

Forrest M. Mims III
433 Twin Oak Rd.
Seguin, Texas 78155
E-mail: fmims@aol.com

Go To Top