Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What's the reason for the high dermal absorption of DMSO?
Melliop
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2019 at 13:37
What's the reason for the high dermal absorption of DMSO?

DMSO is often the preferred carrier for topical application of other substances, like heparine.

hy is that the case?W
Assuming the molecule size and solubility to be the determining factors, it doesn't seem particularly different from other polar aprotic solvents.

Acetone probably being the most similar one, would on paper appear to be more prone to pass through the stratum corneum, due to its higher lipophilicity.

Is there another factor in the absorption of DMSO, or is it actually not much more easily absorbed, and just the preferred substance for topical application due to its low volatility and very low toxicity?

[Edited on 3-3-2019 by Melliop]
Swinfi2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Catalytic

[*] posted on 3-3-2019 at 15:07

If i remember correctly it has something to do with how the solvent interacts with your cell membranes and makes them especially leaky. Other solvents do similar similar things but generally are weaker and have less of this effect or are stronger and outright rupture and kill the cells.

But this is just from memory and you probably want to find some sources to be sure.
Melliop
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2019 at 16:17

Interesting!

One more thing I've found about small, polar molecules: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21626/
(Though I'm not quite sure why that wouldn't apply to water?)

So, it appears the permeation doesn't really depend on solubility for sufficiently small molecules. Is that correct?

Go To Top