Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Meat substitute (fungus/mycelium based)?
greenCaulerpa
Harmless

cool.gif posted on 21-3-2019 at 09:09
Meat substitute (fungus/mycelium based)?

Hello,
I recently began to read into meat substitutes for vegeterians and I have come across several pretty interesting concepts that just don‘t seem fully developed to mimick real meat, so I want to start an experiment on this topic (maybe in the easter holidays?). My plan looks as following: I have grown mycelial cultures several times and I know some of their of their unique properties that would make the usuable for meat substitute, especially their consistancy. I would want to grow a mycelium either on a highly concentrated agar plate or in liquid medium, I think bith would work, even though liquid medium would be preferable. The fungus I want to experiment with is Letinula edodes, after growing a big (has to weight several dozen grams) mycelium I plan to filter it, knead the filtrant with a traditional wheat flour protein to a dough and for flesh-y consistance crosslink my „veggie-steak“ with transglutamase (not sure if TG will be able to crosslink „mycoprotein“). For the umami taste I would dunk it in autolyzed yeast extract as the wort followed by roasting it to get a maillard reaction that gives it additional meaty taste. In theory the combination of crosslinked filamentous proteins with wheat protein should have a consistency similar to meat? Would this technically be possible or do I have some mistakes in my logic?

Sorry for asking such a dumb question, but normally all my experiments are solely based on biotechnology, microbiology or electrochemistry

Thanks a lot

Go To Top