Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: judging the catalytic effect of H2SO4 in nitration vs its balance shifting action
John paul III
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-6-2019 at 11:49
judging the catalytic effect of H2SO4 in nitration vs its balance shifting action

H2SO4 is used in comparatively huge quantities during nitration. That is of course because it serves to bind up water taking advantage of le chatelier principle. I wondered why wouldn't it be replaced on industrial scale with bubbling of NO2 into the reaction mixture, since it would be twice as effective at shifting the balance toward products while being cheaper. Is it's catalytic effect really important in nitration? I'd like to compare reaction times for a typical nitration vs one where only a few drops of H2SO4 were added to serve only as catalyst. If you happen to know where to find a write up of the latter kind of reaction or have personally experimented with it i'd be very interested to read that
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-6-2019 at 10:47

H2SO4 in the mix with HNO3 creates a nitronuim ion (NO2+). This one is a more powerful nitrating agent than pure HNO3. And NO2 is not a good replacement. You have to use N2O5 instead.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.

Go To Top