Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Non Newtonian mixtures using fumed silica
Yamato71
Hazard to Self

Mood: Resigned

[*] posted on 20-6-2019 at 16:12
Non Newtonian mixtures using fumed silica

This thread was split from the DIAMINOURONIUM (DI)NITRATE thread.

The project that resulted in my experimentation with fumed silica was the desire to find a more humane method of dispatching feral hogs. Like many shooters today, I have become a real fan of precharged pneumatic (PCP) airguns. The larger calibers (>.30 caliber) are referred as "big bore" airguns and are available in calibers up to 20mm. These weapons are not toys. My .457 caliber Air Force Texan will sling a 315 grain lead bullet at almost 900 fps and deliver twice the wallop of a .45 caliber pistol using 3000 psi of compressed air. Because no gunpowder is involved, most governments do not classify these as firearms. That is why my rifle sports an untaxed suppressor and I don't have to worry about a bunch of thugs in black ski masks kicking down my front door at 4 am to ask me about it.
Hunters, especially feral hog hunters, have jumped onto the suppressed airgun bandwagon recently. A properly suppressed PCP is so silent that the snap of the valve spring is about the only sound audible during firing. With a powder weapon, the hunter will get one shot as the report scatters the rest of the group. There is one disadvantage to using air instead of gunpowder however and that is knockdown power, or lack thereof. My rifle will easily drill completely through a hog, and that's a problem. Hypersonic bullets induce a shockwave in tissue that creates a wound cavity many times wider than the bullet itself. A large relatively slow bullet drills a channel not much wider than itself. Worse, once the bullet passes through the animal, it carries away energy that could have been expended within it. There are dozens of videos on YouTube posted by hog hunters showing pretty much the same scenario. The bullet strikes the hog in the shoulder and passes through. The hog will either bolt, or about half of the time will just stand there wondering what just happened. Blood will pour out of the wound while the wounded animal is still fully conscious and will be a few seconds before it begins to show signs of distress. It will stagger around in circles for up to a minute before slowly going to the ground and convulsing to death. The animals that choose to run must be tracked for up to half a mile by following the blood trail. This does not qualify as a humane death by any measure.
I found that there are hollow point versions of big bore airgun bullets available and these do help to dispatch prey more quickly, but the shock power of hypersonic projectiles is still missing. One online airgun bullet maker, mrhollowpoint.com sells a 315 grain .457 caliber soft lead hollow point bullet that made a perfect platform for my experiments. The cavity in the nose is .25 inch by .50 inch and is the perfect size to accept a common .27 caliber rimfire nail gun blank. The entire circumference of the rim rests on the rim of the bullet, so impacting anything firmer than snot at 900 fps will reliably fire the blank. Tests conducted by firing these at 12 inch lengths of 2"x4" wooden stud are impressive. A non augmented bullet will leave a ½' entry hole and will exit the wood through a ¾" exit hole, retaining a good portion of its impact velocity upon exit. A charged blank will make the same half inch entry hole, but will leave a conical void expanding from the point of detonation (about one inch inside) to the point of exit. The hole at that point is usually about 2 inches across. While this represents a marked improvement in knockdown performance, there was still room for improvement and that room was beneath the nailgun blank. With the blank fully seated, about half of the cavity volume remained. That volume was filled with various compounds such as PETN, picric acid, ammonium picrate, lead azide, azo-picrate clathrate and so on. Tests were even conducted with black powder, flash powder and inert gelled filler with widely variable results. Some of the materials were not reliably detonated (PETN, picric acid). The blanks had to be tin plated in some instances to avoid the formation of sensitive copper azides and picrates. Of all materials tested, a 10 grain charge of nitroglycerin gelled with 7% fumed silica offered the greatest performance and consistency. When a 2"x2" board was shot with a 10 grain load of azo-picrate clathrate, the exit hole spanned the back side from edge to edge. With 10 grains of NG/SiO2, the target board was simply rendered into splinters. Another test showed something amazing. A brand new 1 gallon metal paint can was laid on its side with its lid firmly attached and facing the shooter. The 10 grain NG/SiO2 bosted round was fired into the center of the lid at a range of 25 yards. The lid was found near the point of impact with the body of the can on the ground directly beneath the post on which it was placed. Remarkably, there was no penetration or denting on the can bottom. In the lid was a perfect ½" bullet hole with no distortion. The body of the can told the story. About 3-4 inches beyond the point of entry was a continuous ring of tiny sub millimeter holes caused by thousands of sand grain sized lead fragments. The bullet had passed through the lid, initiating the detonation sequence which shattered the bullet about 2 inches inside the can. The fragments retained their initial velocity, but the detonation imparted a large outward velocity vector several times greater than the muzzle velocity. This caused the fragments to spread out in a cone shaped pattern, piercing the can sides and leaving a circular pattern of tiny holes. From this test it is apparent that 100% of the bullet's kinetic energy will be expended within the body of the hog. Each of the thousands of fragments will create a separate wound channel. A hog on the receiving end of one of these would most likely drop into its shadow.
10 grains of explosive is well below the threshold of a "destructive device" as defined by he ATF.
I think I shall call these humane hunting bullets "SchweinFaust" or Hog Fist after the German anti tank weapon of WWII. Feral hogs are nature's tanks and they're doing billions of dollars of damage here in Texas and the nation.

[Edited on 21-6-2019 by Yamato71]
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 20-6-2019 at 17:31

You will have trouble if your explosive round gets classified as "armor piercing".

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-6-2019 at 01:58

I did something like that many years ago, on a much smaller scale. I loaded TATP into 4.5mm air rifle pellets and discovered that same effect of detonation shortly after penetration. I used it on a magpie, but even though I hit it quite nicely, and the pellet clearly detonated, the bird was not killed. I had to hunt it down and discovered that the pellet had hit the wing and detonated, but that meant that the fragments did not have enough penetrating ability to reach a vital organ.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-6-2019 at 04:56

Please use this literary device called: Paragraphs

Once this is don I will read and assist.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-6-2019 at 11:59

This is awesome. Sounds like a lot of fun....

I do agree you will want more then 2” of penetration. Honestly if I was a hog I would want a minute to consider the life I lived in the face of death and a chance to have the expirence every living thing deserves.... a few minutes to contemplate thier coming fate.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 08:50

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

Please use the literary device called: spelling.
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 12:46

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  

If you are going to be picky

Please use proper grammar: an independent clause before the colon.

[Edited on 23-6-2019 by twelti]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 12:52

Quote: Originally posted by twelti  
Quote: Originally posted by unionised  

If you are going to be picky

Please use proper grammar: an independent clause before the colon.

We heard you the first time.
I know it wasn't the right use of a colon.
I was parodying Xeon.
Perhaps I should have misused a capital S to make it clearer.
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 13:31

Not sure what the repeats are, but it seems to happen frequently on this server. It is not me. Anyway, just keeping it light!

Go To Top