Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Polyisobutylene plasticizer extraction
kazdo
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2019 at 18:44
Polyisobutylene plasticizer extraction

Hi, can I do the plasticizer extraction from these products?

Soudal butyrub

11b8145be285a17777ee4d809bfd4d09_XL.jpg - 760kB

Attachment: TDS_BUTYRUB_2017.pdf (223kB)
This file has been downloaded 418 times

Attachment: TDS - Soudal Butyrub Mastic.pdf (125kB)
This file has been downloaded 364 times

underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2019 at 04:29

You could tried it out. Use some benzene and try to extract whatever you can extract. Evaporate and check what you got. But if you want something with 100% results, here is what you have to get.

kazdo
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-6-2019 at 04:34

Ok, thanks a lot :) . I still have a question, did anyone try to buy pure polyisobutylene? e.g. from china alibaba?
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2019 at 07:56

Those tapes i mentioned will feet your needs 100%. The pib they got may be even better than pure pib for your purpose.

Here is a very good video from LL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euVUa7C5rAM

[Edited on 25-6-2019 by underground]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 29-6-2019 at 08:12

PIB from Scapa 2501 (+ 5W40) has better properties than plasticizer - binder in C4 at same content. At usual amateur temperatures of use...:cool:...LL

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 31-3-2023 at 05:37

i just wanted to bud in with something i have finally found the name of: TRANSFER TAPE
its essentially adhesive on a roll, but its not adhering to anything else but some type of waxed paper
of what i can find its seemingly some type of acrylic adhesive, it can be had on ebay and per weight of the roll its mostly just adhesive weight
ontop of that i would like to add castor oil is probably best bet to use along with PIB or whatever adhesive since its very thick

https://gyazo.com/513b594f8cb5ff9ae0c3bb19c7d7cc2e

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Raid
Hazard to Everyone

Mood: School

[*] posted on 2-4-2023 at 14:06

I have found that gasoline of just plane hexanes/heptane works well for extracting this.

dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-10-2023 at 11:02

I know this’d probably be better categorized in reagents acquisition, but since this topic is already dedicated to it, I’ll just add on.

I recently got my hands on some Oppanol N150 PIB (I believe it’s their highest MW currently produced) and I wouldn’t ever be able to use all of it on my own so if anyone wants some, I’d happily ship 500g-1kg samples (or less depending on what you want) per person to anyone in the US. I got the stuff for free so all I’d ask is for the $ to cover shipping.

If anyone in the EU wants in, I can try to figure out shipping but it’d be a little harder to manage.

There’s 10kg in total up for grabs.
fx-991ex
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-10-2023 at 12:26

I got myself some self fusing silicon tape, do you think its the same thing?
Didn't try to extract it yet.
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-10-2023 at 14:48

I don’t think so - definitely contains silicone/ silicone rubbers but I don’t know what the active agent for self-fusing would be. Rat glue is the most common source for low MW PIB that i know of.
EF2000
Hazard to Others

Mood: wrooom

[*] posted on 9-10-2023 at 22:30

Quote: Originally posted by fx-991ex  
I got myself some self fusing silicon tape, do you think its the same thing?
Didn't try to extract it yet.

If you can just dissolve it, you can use it without extracting anything. Silicone is a great binder. As seen in that table from article in CEJEM, it decreases sensitivity much more than polymethyl-methacrylate (PMMA usually, but "PA" in table).
I guess PIB is more on PMMA side, so why trying to replicate C-4 when you can make XTX 8004;)

Screenshot 2023-10-10 092112.png - 111kB

[Edited on 10-10-2023 by EF2000]
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2023 at 00:18

Silicone rubbers are nice for general pbx use, but xtx8004 doesn't remain moldable. Rather, it cures in a matter of days to a rubber. So, if you are specifically interested in moldable plastiques, you need something that doesn't cure. Reading the LASL entry, I'm struck by this passage:

Quote:

Charge radius affects the detonation velocity of 1.5-g/cm 3 XTX 8004 confined in polycarbonate plastic in a hemispherical configuration as follows.

I wonder how that test works. How do you even initiate a 1.5 mm diameter hemispherical (not cylindrical) charge without the detonator drowning out the effect of the charge? Also, even if you can do that, there is the question of stable propagation over longer distances.
EF2000
Hazard to Others

Mood: wrooom

[*] posted on 10-10-2023 at 11:06

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  
Silicone rubbers are nice for general pbx use, but xtx8004 doesn't remain moldable. Rather, it cures in a matter of days to a rubber. So, if you are specifically interested in moldable plastiques, you need something that doesn't cure.

Sure, but it can be made more moldable by adding silicon oil, can't it?

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  

I wonder how that test works. How do you even initiate a 1.5 mm diameter hemispherical (not cylindrical) charge without the detonator drowning out the effect of the charge? Also, even if you can do that, there is the question of stable propagation over longer distances.

It's even stranger with XTX 8003 (page 192). They somehow tested it down to 0.36 mm.

Alrigth, they explain the method in the second part of book, here. Basically they detonate a long "rate stick" from one end and register wave progress using probes (just like in your apparatus) or smear camera.
There's more details in the report ACR-221. The piece by Campbell and Engelke cited by LASL is on page 642.
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2023 at 22:07

It may be possible to retain the viscous nature of the composite by including a lot of oil to act as the plasticizer, but only experiment will tell if you also retain the coherency of the plastique. I have done some experiments with silicone based binder/plasticizer composites, and a lot of my formulations have been fine with regards to mechanical properties, but have suffered from poor shelf life, turning stiff and rubbery over the course of a few months.

Go To Top