Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Help with CHP
Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-10-2023 at 14:20
Storage Stability

Not sure if there is another thread for this but I figured I would just document it in my original thread.

A sample of CHP and TACP that I made using this threads help is now over 4 years old. The CHP is only around 5 grams, completely with out the smell of ammonia now. Was stored in a normal prescription pill bottle (USA not sure if they are different else where). Showed no obvious signs of degrading and seemed to have the same energetic properties as the day it was made and tested. Was not able to test if the CHP was still able to detonate yet, I have a strong feeling it will. Will update when Im able to test.

TACP still had a slight smell of ammonia, much less then it started with. It was around 50 grams so I image it was able to hold the smell better. Same as the CHP it showed no signs of degrading and all the energetic properties you would expect.

ETN - Might as well document this as well. Small sample of ETN also around 4.5 years old. Still bright white, and burned as expected. Strange smell, sort of like a chlorine pool. Anyone else have experience with long stored ETN? Would love to hear if this is normal.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 24-10-2023 at 16:28

Quote: Originally posted by Brightthermite  
Not sure if there is another thread for this but I figured I would just document it in my original thread.

ETN - Might as well document this as well. Small sample of ETN also around 4.5 years old. Still bright white, and burned as expected. Strange smell, sort of like a chlorine pool. Anyone else have experience with long stored ETN? Would love to hear if this is normal.

ETN should not have an odour. Some people perceive NOx as a chlorine type odour. There is a decent chance that your ETN has somewhat decomposed.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-10-2023 at 17:37

Quote: Originally posted by Brightthermite  

A sample of CHP and TACP that I made using this threads help is now over 4 years old. The CHP is only around 5 grams, completely with out the smell of ammonia now. Was stored in a normal prescription pill bottle (USA not sure if they are different else where). Showed no obvious signs of degrading and seemed to have the same energetic properties as the day it was made and tested. Was not able to test if the CHP was still able to detonate yet, I have a strong feeling it will. Will update when Im able to test.

TACP still had a slight smell of ammonia, much less then it started with. It was around 50 grams so I image it was able to hold the smell better. Same as the CHP it showed no signs of degrading and all the energetic properties you would expect.

I can give you my experience. Im long term testing some samples now.

I have a sample of CHP from a while ago, probably over a year, maybe 2? (not sure). Sealed in jelly jar. It has no signs of decomposition and is stored in an area that goes from below freezing in winter to above 90F in summer.

I have a sample of ETN twice recrystallized from methanol stored in a washed out aspirin bottle. It was two years old and began to decompose releasing NO2 gas which could be seen in the bottle when the lid was removed. The smell is a chlorine smell but a little more sharp and pungent almost like a mineral acid or HCl. The material in the bottle was then covered with water and is continuing to store in a liquid slowly evaporating. I am monitoring its decomposition and H2O remediation. I also have a sample of PETN twice recrystallized from ethanol. It was made at the same time as the decomposed ETN. The PETN sample has no sign of decomposition.
Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-10-2023 at 19:14

Thanks for the information both of you. My ETN was twice recrystallized as well (with acetone). Sounds like it is either difficult to get all the acid out or I am not doing something totally correct. Hopefully I can get that sorted out.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top