Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Improving the yield of chromyl chloride: various questions
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 12:01
Improving the yield of chromyl chloride: various questions

Folks,

I have been pondering over a way to improve the yield of chromyl chloride synthesised out of HCl gas (itself made by mixing concentrated sulphuric acid and table salt) and CrO₃. I tried it the usual way, i.e. mixing crushed NaCl and CrO₃ and then pouring concentrated sulphuric acid (c.s.a) on the resulting powder, but I got a bad yield (20%?). I think the culprit is the 95% sulphuric acid I have, which I suspect is not concentrated enough, and maybe my glassware wasn't dry enough either.

So I'm planning to redo the experiment this way: use my 95% c.s.a. to generate HCl gas. Feed the HCl gas to a round bottom flash and bubble it through a solution of CrO₃ dissolved in c.s.a. That way, the c.s.a should pull out the water produced as a by-product of the reaction CrO₃ + HCl → CrO₂Cl₂ + H₂O.

So, question 1: if the reaction produces, say, 1 mol of water, how many moles of c.s.a should I use to efficiently remove all water and avoid it interfering with the chromyl chloride?

Question 2: it is said that CrO₃ is soluble in c.s.a, but I didn't find any reference substantiating that claim, nor have I found any solubility data so far. Does anyone know how soluble is CrO₃ in c.s.a?

I was also wondering if I could use oleum. I'm about to order a special quartz test tube with a ground glass joint to pyrolyse copper sulphate into copper oxide and sulphur trioxide that I could then bubble into my c.s.a to get 100%+ concentration. That oleum could be mixed with the chromium trioxide to really pull out all the water.

Question 3: what kind of (flexible) tubing resists to SO₃? Silicone?

Also, question 4: should I distill the chromyl chloride as soon as it forms, or let the reaction proceed and only then distil CrO₂Cl₂ from the c.s.a?

Thanks a bunch!
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 13:25

You will probably be interest in this patent titled Process for producing chromyl chloride: https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/57/27/72/cb715e7... It talks about phase seperation of the chloride and the water sulphuric acid mixture and other info.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 15:40

If one looked at my scans they might find some educational material. The dry method variations in Brauer and Cumming do not use CrO3 directly; this might be important. Heating with any water would be bad, yes; they do not use 95% acid. Brauer also has the wet method with CrO3 but this is much less detailed than the Inorganic Syntheses preparation giving some 50-60% yield of pure product.

CrO3 precipitates readily from sulfuric acid at higher concentrations. Sometimes at lower concentrations the crystals are bigger and nicer.

[Edited on 3-9-2019 by S.C. Wack]

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2019 at 04:58

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
Brauer also has the wet method with CrO3 but this is much less detailed than the Inorganic Syntheses preparation giving some 50-60% yield of pure product.

Thanks! I didn't know I could find anything about chromyl chloride in Inorganic Syntheses. The method described therein seems simple and baffling: it uses CrO₃ in aqueous solution, whereas I always heard that chromyl chloride was destroyed by any water (that also what NileRed claims in his video). One must assume that around 0°C the hydrolysis is so slow that it doesn't impact the yield negatively…

Go To Top