Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: handeling hydrazine
chemist1243
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-11-2019 at 18:36
handeling hydrazine

ive been searching about some methods of handeling hydrazine, but my results dont really give anything useful. i can store it in sulphate form, but once i freebase it, im not sure what i should do to stay safe.

i need to know things like: should i always keep it cool, or will heat decomepose it? how far will vapors travel? how should i handle any possible vapors? are there any products that might accidentally be produced during experiments, and how can i prevent the formation of said products? should i use gas mask and chemical resistant suit, or both, or one, or the other? is the risk worth the reward?

help anwering any of these questions would be very apreciatted.
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-11-2019 at 19:30

Your previous posts make it clear that you need considerably more experience and theoretical background before you should be messing around with hydrazine.

Do a few more experiments with things that aren't corrosive neurotoxins that will burst into flames if you spill them on wood or cloth first.

There are safer ways to make tryptamines, and more interesting ones too.

Not really my thing, but I had heard that 5-methoxy tryptamines kinda suck anyway.

BTW: Have you ever brominated safrole and then run an SN2 on it with piperidine in an autoclave?
Works better than chlorine + NaOH, I'll bet.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 20-11-2019 at 23:52

Pure hydrazine is very dangerous stuff and is unstable. It easily decomposes and forms gaseous products on decomposition, which may lead to rupture of its container.
Hydrazine hydrate on the other hand is quite stable. I have a bottle of pure N2H4.H2O. This compound is stable on storage (I have the material several years already and it is as good as when I purchased it and there is no pressure buildup at all). The pure hydrazone hydrate does fume faintly when in contact with air, these fumes are very toxic and also have long term effects (hydrazine is a carcinogen). For experiments I diluted 50 ml of my stock (200 ml) with 50 ml of distilled water and I use that as my working solution. This diluted solution does not release noticeable amounts of hydrazine vapor.

Hydrazine, however, remains a dangerous compound to work with and for someone who has little experience it definitely is not something to start with. Many reactions with it are violent and produce a lot of heat and in such reactions you also can get plumes of hydrazine vapor, which you certainly don't want to breathe. So, i agree with SWIM, don't mess around with this and first do some real chemistry and not only the druggie-things.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 21-11-2019 at 03:18

I agree with both SWIM and woelen.
But if you insist on using it make sure you have a full face respirator fitted with a Ammonia/Methylamine cartridge. You also need to make sure that you have everything you need in place to prevent skin contact.
Remember the PPE is the last line of defence. Much better safety procedures are to develop safe laboratory techniques, know the chemicals you are working with and fully understand what to expect with the reactions you are conducting, research research research!
Best of luck.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-11-2019 at 04:39

Though I agree with what other peoples said you shouldnt refrain from asking such questions from people with hands on experience.

To be honest, MSDS files usually dont mean jack shit until you experiment yourself.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
chemist1243
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-11-2019 at 11:12

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Pure hydrazine is very dangerous stuff and is unstable. It easily decomposes and forms gaseous products on decomposition, which may lead to rupture of its container.
Hydrazine hydrate on the other hand is quite stable. I have a bottle of pure N2H4.H2O. This compound is stable on storage (I have the material several years already and it is as good as when I purchased it and there is no pressure buildup at all). The pure hydrazone hydrate does fume faintly when in contact with air, these fumes are very toxic and also have long term effects (hydrazine is a carcinogen). For experiments I diluted 50 ml of my stock (200 ml) with 50 ml of distilled water and I use that as my working solution. This diluted solution does not release noticeable amounts of hydrazine vapor.

Hydrazine, however, remains a dangerous compound to work with and for someone who has little experience it definitely is not something to start with. Many reactions with it are violent and produce a lot of heat and in such reactions you also can get plumes of hydrazine vapor, which you certainly don't want to breathe. So, i agree with SWIM, don't mess around with this and first do some real chemistry and not only the druggie-things.

thats why im asking you....for help. plus, just because im working on tryptamines does not really infer that im just trying to get high off some chemicals and sleep suppliments i threw in a beaker. i genuinely think that there is use for tryptamines aside from drugs and psychedelics. ive been working on my skill in mechanisms for a while, as well as other topic, so that i can do these sorts of reactions. i dont plan to use hydrazine(or any chemical for that matter) until i know every detail about it. i have a general idea about the dangers of hydrazine, so this is one of the many ways that im gathering info and procedures about it. i aprecciate your suggestions.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 22-11-2019 at 02:25

I certainly didn't mean to be condecending nor do I think other members do (imho). The trouble with platforms like this is that you don't see the person or the experience of the person asking the question, just the question. Without context it can be very disturbing because we are talking about very dangerous chemicals and processes. My advice is take the good advice and not any offence and do good and safe chemistry!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-11-2019 at 07:34

Quote: Originally posted by chemist1243  

thats why im asking you....for help. plus, just because im working on tryptamines does not really infer that im just trying to get high off some chemicals and sleep suppliments i threw in a beaker. i genuinely think that there is use for tryptamines aside from drugs and psychedelics. ive been working on my skill in mechanisms for a while, as well as other topic, so that i can do these sorts of reactions. i dont plan to use hydrazine(or any chemical for that matter) until i know every detail about it. i have a general idea about the dangers of hydrazine, so this is one of the many ways that im gathering info and procedures about it. i aprecciate your suggestions.
That's also why I did give an answer , which tells something about the chemical. But given your post history, I also felt the need to add the last sentence to my post. I hope it did not offend you. My main goal with this post is to help you (and other) with first-hand experience about this chemical. I want to give realistic info. Not the "steer away from this at all cost, instant death in a bottle"-response, nor the "play around, have fun, yeah, you're safe"-response.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
chemist1243
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-11-2019 at 11:15

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
I certainly didn't mean to be condecending nor do I think other members do (imho). The trouble with platforms like this is that you don't see the person or the experience of the person asking the question, just the question. Without context it can be very disturbing because we are talking about very dangerous chemicals and processes. My advice is take the good advice and not any offence and do good and safe chemistry!

yeah, thats probably my best bet on here. thanks for the advice.
chemist1243
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-11-2019 at 11:21

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Quote: Originally posted by chemist1243  

That's also why I did give an answer , which tells something about the chemical. But given your post history, I also felt the need to add the last sentence to my post. I hope it did not offend you. My main goal with this post is to help you (and other) with first-hand experience about this chemical. I want to give realistic info. Not the "steer away from this at all cost, instant death in a bottle"-response, nor the "play around, have fun, yeah, you're safe"-response.

thank you! i probably just tend to take offence easily.

Go To Top