Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Czech amateur chemist found dead in his home(lab)
michalJenco
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 09:27
Czech amateur chemist found dead in his home(lab)

Just wanted to let you all know what happened in Brno, Czech Republic yesterday.

Police discovered a dead 42yo man in his home after neighbors couldn't contact him for several days. The house was full of boxes of chemical bottles. Neighbors said he was a weirdo who liked chemical experiments. Around 80 people ended up evacuated from the neighboring homes for up to 24 hours, there was a big shitshow about it. Apparently they found 7kg of 'a very powerful explosive compound'as well. There is no cause of death yet but there was no explosion.

https://ct24.ceskatelevize.cz/domaci/2999687-v-brnenskem-byt...

Some photos of his bottles - https://brnenska.drbna.cz/krimi/16063-foto-v-byte-plnem-chem...

[Edited on 10-12-2019 by michalJenco]

[Edited on 10-12-2019 by michalJenco]
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 09:37

the fact that they don't say what explosive is makes me think that the probably found his bag of potassium nitrate fertilizer and automatically linked it to explosives

i can't read czech, did the guy die of hobby related reasons?

[Edited on 10-12-2019 by Ubya]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
michalJenco
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 09:42

Nobody explicitly said why he died, just that he was laying dead and all around chemicals. Could be poisoning, could be stroke or like that; but he was only 42 so I guess he messed up.

It is pretty reasonable to assume the explosive was Na/K nitrate :D Can't really imagine what else he could have had 7kg of :D
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 09:50

https://ct24.ceskatelevize.cz/domaci/2999687-v-brnenskem-byt...

Quote:

Police in Brno apartment found chemicals and dead man. Evacuated 25 people.
A dead man and a large amount of chemicals were found by police officers in an apartment in Šámalova Street in Brno, Židenice. Authorities closed the street and evacuated 25 people. Police and firefighters admit that they may not be able to return to their apartments by the end of Monday. The site was explored by a pyrotechnician, now there is also a chemical laboratory of South Moravian firefighters. The cause of the man's death is under investigation.
Malasek said the neighbors were worried about the man. "We opened the apartment, unfortunately the neighbor was found without signs of life, with the fact that there is a lot of chemicals in the apartment," said Malášek.

The police evaluate the information from the fireworkers on the spot. “It seems dangerous. Šámalova Street is closed for pedestrians and transport. A total of 25 people from the surrounding two houses were evacuated for security reasons, ”the spokesman said.

Šámalova Street in Brno is closed for pedestrians and cars. Police found a dead man in one of the apartments. There were several chemicals inside, so they called a fireworks. Firefighters evacuated 25 people from nearby houses.
The chemical laboratory of firefighters also arrived. "Our chemists are inside with fireworks to sort out substances that are dangerous and those that are not," described the spokesman for South Moravian firefighters Jaroslav Mikoska. He also said they had a bus for the locals, but it was still empty because the evacuees had broken up around.

However, Mikoska said the number of evacuees could rise further, for example because other residents of the evacuated houses would return from work. According to the police and firefighters, it is possible that they will not be able to return to their apartments by the end of Monday. “We are ready to have alternative accommodation for all. We find out various hostels or guest houses and hotels nearby, ”added Mikoška.

Rescuers did not have to treat anyone yet. “We have been asked by the Police of the Czech Republic to be able to provide first aid to emergency services in case of injury. We had the medical crew replaced by the traffic inspector, ”said South Moravian rescuer Michaela Bothová.

https://brnenska.drbna.cz/krimi/16063-foto-v-byte-plnem-chem...

Quote:

Fifty people who had to leave their homes tonight due to the chemicals found in one of their flats in Brno could go back today. Thirty people from the first wave of evacuation have not yet been affected. A spokesman for firefighters Jaroslav Mikoška told CTK today.

This afternoon, police in Šámalova Street in Brno are still completing the clearing of an apartment with a large amount of chemicals. Pyrotechnics and chemists work on site, transporting hazardous substances for disposal. Part of the street therefore remains closed to traffic and pedestrians.

On Monday, according to firefighters, about thirty people had to find their chemicals from their homes, another fifty at night today. "Some residents may already return. However, the extent of the initial evacuation remains, ie the house in which the intervention is taking place and two neighbors, people cannot return yet," Mikoska said.

Police investigate the case thoroughly, the cause of death does not yet know the man
Officers next to the apartment where they found a dead man on Monday and a large amount of chemicals are also searching the adjacent cellar. In the morning they expected to work on the site by noon, after which the evacuees could return home. However, there are still less hazardous substances to be removed and disposed of. "According to the latest assumptions, the work of police officers on the spot should last until the late afternoon," said police spokesman Bohumil Malášek.

On Monday after noon, the police closed off the street, assessed the situation as dangerous and immediately evacuated 25 people from nearby houses. Later, according to firefighters, another six. In the night of today, another 55 were added. Some people booked a night with relatives or acquaintances, 17 people according to firefighters used the hotel accommodation.

The police are investigating what was the cause of the death of the 42-year-old man.

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
michalJenco
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 10:24

Nobody explicitly said why he died, just that he was laying dead and all around chemicals. Could be poisoning, could be stroke or like that; but he was only 42 so I guess he messed up.

It is pretty reasonable to assume the explosive was Na/K nitrate :D Can't really imagine what else he could have had 7kg of :D
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 10:54

I wonder if he's one of us, given a few active members are actually in CZ...

michalJenco
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 11:50

I wonder that too. I will keep this thread updated if any new info appears.
G-Coupled
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 12:04

RIP - Interesting Czech dude. :(
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 04:43

I still remember Max Klemke's videos.
I hope that guy died of natural causes.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 10:25

in my opinion the evacuation was exaggerated, just chemiofobia.

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 13:35

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
in my opinion the evacuation was exaggerated, just chemiofobia.

Dunno.
It was an aparent, so high density housing.
I can see some sense in having an empty building while cleaning out a lab of unknown chems. If only to make it easier to cart boxes of stuff down the stairs without people coming the other way.

I think if he had been deceased for a few days then the immediate risk of explosion or gassing was probably gone. But if he was half way through a synth (quite likely) then that is not a guarantee.
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 04:44

Actually seems like a pretty reasonable response to me.
We can speculate what they may have found and how harmless it all might be but we don't actually know.
The guy died. That is a pretty good warning that I'd take serious too if I had to deal with this situation.

They called a pyrotechnician to the site and are actually sorting his chemicals instead of simply removing everything and blowing it up. Suggests he labeled his chemicals well and they have someone knowledgeable on the site that can recognize what is low-risk/harmless.

Could be worse.

[Edited on 12-12-2019 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
michalJenco
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 13:43

Although I'm sad for everyone being afraid of chemistry I agree it was an appropriate response, they found him dead in a lab. I'm just so curious about all the chemicals he had, so many boxes.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2019 at 03:47

Being a "pyrotechnician" or an EOD doesnt mean they know about chemistry.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-12-2019 at 05:41

Seems to be suicidium and found about 0,5 kg of picric acid and organic peroxides
https://ct24.ceskatelevize.cz/regiony/jihomoravsky-kraj/3003...

Very likely he suffered from mental disorder for a long time - some paranoid delusions (he was a weirdo, was afraid of being watched, told his friend that he had feeling of wire in his job)
https://ct24.ceskatelevize.cz/regiony/3006359-muz-kvuli-jeho...
Gargamel
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2020 at 13:13

I hope it wasn't Doc Liptakov.

Last login in September, last activity on the YT-channel in May. And some items in his videos suggest that he was not to far from Germany.
Brünn would fit.

I hope this is nonsense.

[Edited on 17-3-2020 by Gargamel]
anti
Harmless

Mood: Mood: Mood:

[*] posted on 17-3-2020 at 13:53

Gosh...
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-3-2020 at 17:55

Quote: Originally posted by michalJenco  

Heart attacks suck too.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2020 at 11:11

@Gargamel
Laboratory of Liptakov seems to be from Slovak republic and Brno is in Czech republic.
Moreover Laboratory of Liptakov seems not to be 42 years old.

Go To Top