Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Introducing new member (Denmark)
Copenhagen1968
Harmless

cool.gif posted on 12-2-2020 at 03:08
Introducing new member (Denmark)

Hello,
I just joined this marvelous forum and I am wondering if there are other members in the Copenhagen/Roskilde area?

I would be really nice to have others to buy chemicals with and maybe just bounce off ideas with like-minded people interested in chemistry.
I have a company number and can buy chemicals, but it would be very good to have others to share the cost with.

My bio: I am a Chemical Engineer from Technical University Denmark (DTU) and also have a Master Brewer degree. Organic chemistry and microbiology (including fermentation) have my most interest but I am generally interested in any kind of chemistry.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 12-2-2020 at 04:01

Welcome!

Netherlands and Germany aren't too far away when it is possible to ship the chemical. If you have something to share, just let us know!

[Edited on 12-2-2020 by Tsjerk]
Copenhagen1968
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-2-2020 at 06:58

thanks Tsjerk
I will keep that in mind.
I dont know about the potential problems with regards to sending chemicals over national borders. Do you regard it as a non-issue?
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 12-2-2020 at 07:16

Within the Schengen area the regulations are as they are within borders. You can't send e.g. bromine, for obvious reasons, and no concentrated HF, but something like a simple salt shouldn't be a problem. A lot of chemicals are send via post despite the regulations, but if you want to stick to the law I would double check. I haven't found any specific list of what is aloud and what is not after a brief search, but I'm sure someone here could come up with a list.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-2-2020 at 13:42

woelen is in the Netherlands and there are one or two others as well. Not sure where though. (My geographic knowledge of the area is mostly limited to, "it's flat" and "don't ice skate on reclamed land".)
I am not aware of anyone in Denmark but there are probably some.

Welcome aboard.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 13-2-2020 at 00:32

I indeed live in the Netherlands. In the past, I actually lived in Denmark for a while (I worked in Høje-Tåstrup and lived in Lyngby, both are near Copenhagen). I had a good time over there, Denmark is a good country to live in, and Copenhagen is a nice city.

I have shipped chemicals through the EU (and a few times outside of the EU) and exchanged/shared some materials. But I only ship solids, which are not corrosive to their container. E.g. K2Cr2O7 is something which I could ship, but I definitely will not ship PCl5. I also once shipped ampouled chemicals, but those I packaged in a stable tube (metal or PVC) and I only ship small quantities (e.g. 10 ml or 20 ml).

Personally, I agree with Tsjerk, many chemicals can be shipped without a problem. Just use common sense, do not ship highly corrosive ones like Br2, PCl5 and certainly do not ship illegal compounds (e.g. drugs, explosives or specific drug-precursors).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 13-2-2020 at 07:49

Welcome on SM forum :).

Go To Top