Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mercury cleanup suggestions.
electrokinetic
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 16:32
Mercury cleanup suggestions.

The teacher who had my classroom before me had a somewhat lax attitude toward mercury. For example, as a class demonstration he would heat up mercuric oxide in a test tube at the front table so the students could see mercury forming on the sides. No fume hood, but at least he didn't have the students do it themselves as an activity. "Don't you worry about breathing in mercury vapor, Jim?" I'd ask him. "Oh, well, there isn't much and most of it goes up to the ceiling away from our faces...", he'd answer.

To the point at hand, turns out he would store the mercury in petri dishes that he would tape shut, and in cleaning out a storage cabinet I just accidentally knocked one and spilled some mercury. I'm unfortunately not 100% sure how much mercury there was, but the total amount I could find appeared to be less than what would be in a thermometer. Thankfully, the school is closed because of COVID-19, so no kids are being exposed.

I knew that zinc will form an amalgam with mercury and render it harmless, so I immediately sprinkled zinc dust over whatever Hg droplets I could see (it's the droplets I can't see that I'm really worried about).

But nothing appears to be happening. I've attached a picture of what some of it looks like.

What I wanted to ask the forum is if I need to wet the zinc, perhaps with not just water but some dilute acidic solution (like citric acid or vinegar). My understanding is that this is because the surfaces of the metals are dirty and don't allow good contact between the metals. Do you think this will work? Or just make a bigger mess?

Also—
    1. I know not to use a vacuum or a broom or it will get spread even more.
    2. I know that sulfur is not longer an option because of the zinc.
    3. I know that I'm going to have to use shaving cream or duct tape or something similarly sticky to get the very small particles that could be there but invisible.

Thanks you!

Mercury Droplets.JPG - 3MB
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 16:37

Usual procedure I have been taught is to take a 250-1L RB flask and equip it with a Torion adapter with side arm. Insert some smallish (1/4-3/8") tubing through the Torion and pull vacuum on the side arm. Run the tubing to the bottom of the flask. Use the tube to suck up the mercury droplets, this will get them all in once place where they can coalesce.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
electrokinetic
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 16:42

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
Usual procedure I have been taught is to take a 250-1L RB flask and equip it with a Torion adapter with side arm. Insert some smallish (1/4-3/8") tubing through the Torion and pull vacuum on the side arm. Run the tubing to the bottom of the flask. Use the tube to suck up the mercury droplets, this will get them all in once place where they can coalesce.

Thanks for the quick reply, but unfortunately I don't have a Torion adapter.

I should have mentioned, I think, that this is a middle school. I realize I said classroom and that could have been easily interpreted as a college—and hence better equipped—classroom.
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 16:45

Perhaps you worry too much?
electrokinetic
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 16:51

Quote: Originally posted by morganbw  
Perhaps you worry too much?

I was thinking perhaps I do. I remember breaking thermometers and playing with mercury when I was a kid. Now it's treated like radioactive waste.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 18:31

Metallic mercury is not soluble ionic mercury is not organic mercury.
The risk profiles are very different.

Under the circumstances I would be more than happy with liberally sprinkling zinc powder, leaving for a while and sweeping up.
It is likely that contamination of porous materials by your predecessor presents a greater risk than your spill.
electrokinetic
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 20:50

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Metallic mercury is not soluble ionic mercury is not organic mercury.
The risk profiles are very different.

Under the circumstances I would be more than happy with liberally sprinkling zinc powder, leaving for a while and sweeping up.
It is likely that contamination of porous materials by your predecessor presents a greater risk than your spill.

Thank you.
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2020 at 05:11

Pipettes or even eye droppers are good for picking up small globules of mercury.
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2020 at 16:42

When I tried to make zinc mercury amalgam I found that a little 5% HCl would clean the zinc so it would fuse with the mercury.
This was in a test tube though.

It might work on the floor but I've only tried it in vitro, not in pavimento laterem.

Go To Top