Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can tests as crude det velocity calculators
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 31-5-2020 at 05:55
Can tests as crude det velocity calculators

Hi there. I'm making a video about an energetic, and during the video there's this clip here: https://youtu.be/erRyyYVcWN4

In the clip, I say that you can use the size of the exit holes as an estimation of the detonation velocity, because the smaller the holes, the more the aluminium is shattered, so the more brisant the explosive is - which i'm equating to high det velocity. Is this correct enough to say?

Crude but generally correct? Or do too many other factors come into consideration that you can't draw any correlations.
Thanks!
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2020 at 07:56

Exit holes show you have fragments. You're more likely to have fragments with a higher explosive.
You say it in another way but it's correct: a lower explosive bends out of the way and a higher explosive will cut.

Your MF can is a perfect example

You know you make me thirsty every time you use Strongbow cans ?

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
OneEyedPyro
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2020 at 15:53

High brisance and high VoD tend to go go hand in hand, there technically are higher VoD explosives with lower brisance and lower VoD with higher brisance but in general I'd say your assessment is correct.
Nonexistent
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 12:59

Enjoyed your new video Tdep, always great content and well produced, if I'm ever in SA, I'll buy you a beer (or a strongbow)

Go To Top