Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Just bought an FTIR Spectrometer
Mancival
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-2-2021 at 13:37

Quote: Originally posted by nleslie321  
the bloke sold them as working but they are not working and not worth fixing sorry. Ive looked at it as i got a good ATR for 2k and ive spent 6500 US for a refurbed Nicolet Avatar that comes with a PC, software etc etc

I just wanted to publicly thank nleslie321 for recommending me Dr.Fuller from FTIR.com: I just purchased a preowned Avatar 360 from him and I'm now waiting for the goodies. Will report back.
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

Mood: just right

[*] posted on 17-3-2021 at 08:37

Quote: Originally posted by Brunton  
On the Omnic diagnostic section it has the laser symbol crossed out; I am guessing that it means the laser is bad.

Yeah The bloke is a lying POS I said to him there's no way these were working prior to shipping them. The lasers are like 17 yrs old so definitely not working and beam splitter was also buggered. Basically Not worth spending money on as they are a shitty IR spec to begin with but would of been ok for the cheap price if it was working. I ended up buying a Thermo Nicolet Avatar 360 that was freshly rebuilt with new laser, beamsplitter, detector, ZnSe windows and IR source for 6500. Its running better than original specifications. you can recoup your money by selling the Specac Golden Gate ATR as they are worth more than we paid for the ir300 with the ATR. Im keeping my ATR as I'm using it in my Avatar 360. I would only get one of the better popular models that have parts availability like Avatar, Magna or Nexus etc.
wxyz
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-3-2021 at 21:09

I also noticed that the laser beam is hitting the beam splitter toward the top, it is also hitting the corner cubes toward the top as well. Isn't it supposed to be hitting the corner cube in the center of the cubes? .

Usually the laser is aimed outside of the main IR path. With my MIDAC FTIR it is on the top just out of the way of the IR path. Makes it easier for the hardware to pick that signal off before it goes to the sample.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 26-4-2021 at 05:04

diagnostic section it has the laser symbol crossed out; I am guessing that it means the laser is bad.

lol you could not have expressed your utter disillusionment with the device any more succinctly.
I feel for you. It was exactly this thread that warned me off purchasing an ftir out of Sydney late last year. It came sans pc and as such one could assess anything, because you couldn’t power it up. It was cheap at 3k...if it worked. I wasn’t deluding myself as to the amount of learning needed for me to feel competent enough to assess a random ftirs soundness. I like using them...
So thanks again for the thread, I had driven from melb to Sydney to look at the unit. After 6hrs in this dudes garage trying to make a call on it this thread just kept haunting me. Without It I reckon I would bought it and I have little doubt it would never have run.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 00:51

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHIMADZU-FTIR-8400S-spectrophoto...
Mancival
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 14:09

I ended up buying an Avatar 360 and an ATR, both from ebay. I spent the last month to play with it, having zero experience on FTIR before. MANY subtleties to grasp...
Mancival
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 14:14

I’m now in the market for an Hplc, and like it was for the ftir I’ve no idea where to start. I hope, like I did for the ftir, I’ll find people in here with some experience to help me understand what to spend my money on.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
29-11-2023 at 20:50
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top