Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anhydrous oxalic acid
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 13:39
Anhydrous oxalic acid

Hi.

I am making some anhydrous oxalic acid now. I read about this few threads on SM forum and I choose water bath method. I don't want directly heat oxalic acid because I am little bit scared about overheating and decomposition in to CO, CO2 and formic acid. And I don't have Dean-Stark trap, so heating on water bath seams like a good method.

I started with 70g of oxalic acid dihydrate. After cca 2 hours of heating is dehydratation on half a way - I have 60g of oxalic acid (anhydrous should weight 50g). But I am little bit afraid about sumblimation of oxalic acid. Water vapor are little bit irritating and when I attach nose close to jar, I smell oxalic acid (but I this stuff smell also at room temperature). Temperature of water bath is between 90-100°C, temperature of oxalic acid in a glass jar is between 80-85°C. Is there chance to get considerable losses due to sublimation? I also do it inside (with open window, but still...) and breathing oxalic acid isn't good thing.

[Edited on 5-7-2020 by Bedlasky]

Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 18:10

i found on the web that it starts subliming at 157°C, so you are probably safe with good ventilation

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 01:48

I don't know if dehydrating any compound on WATER bath is a good idea. After all hydrates come from more or less hygroscopic compounds and water vapors will do the reverse...
And the second thing 100C is quite low temp, the dehydration will be very slow.
It's better to crank up the heat and deal with some sublimation loss, oxalic acid is dirt cheap after all.
And as for breathing oxalic acid, come on just don't attach your nose to the jar, there are more dangerous things than oxalic acid to deal and it's not even a gas, which means it doesn't spread in the air, but just settles on things. Neither it is super toxic or super irritating. If your window is open then it should be enough. If not get your gasmask on, or even some coronavirus type material one, it should protect you from tiny sublimated crystalf of oxalic acid.
Here you have few, I think better procedures on orgsyn: http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV1P0421
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 02:01

I doubt whether the method with carbon tetrachloride is better than Bedlasky's method. CCl4 is not easy to obtain and it is very toxic. I have read that oxalic acid can fairly easily be dehydrated (with indeed some loss, which one takes for granted), by heating it in an oven at 110 C or so (keep it between 105 and 115 C, not higher, due to excessive losses, not lower, because of very slow dehydration).
After doing this, the oven must be heated empty to 200 C or so for a few tens of minutes to remove any traces of sublimed oxalic acid if you don't want any long-term slow corrosion in the oven.

Just try it with 20 grams or so and if this works satisfactorily, then you can scale up.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 02:38

I have used a microwave to dehydrate oxalic acid. Put the acid in a glass container (borosilicate or soda-lime, both work) and put something glass over the opening. Put the microwave to something approximately half power, the hydrated acid will absorb radiation and dehydrate. The anhydrous acid will desublime on the cooler glass above the level of the heated acid. Glass and dehydrated acid both don't absorb microwave radiation, allowing the to stay relatively cool. Just make sure not to overfill the vessel.
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 06:15

Thanks for all sugestions.

After 6 hours heating I had in jar 51g of oxalic acid. I stoped heating because 1g water shouldn't do too much issue.

Next time I'll try different method, because this one is slow.

Half of it I'll use in next days for preparation of dimethyl oxalate, second half I keep for the future synthesis of diethyl oxalate.

mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 08:13

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I doubt whether the method with carbon tetrachloride is better than Bedlasky's method. CCl4 is not easy to obtain and it is very toxic. I have read that oxalic acid can fairly easily be dehydrated (with indeed some loss, which one takes for granted), by heating it in an oven at 110 C or so (keep it between 105 and 115 C, not higher, due to excessive losses, not lower, because of very slow dehydration).
After doing this, the oven must be heated empty to 200 C or so for a few tens of minutes to remove any traces of sublimed oxalic acid if you don't want any long-term slow corrosion in the oven.

Just try it with 20 grams or so and if this works satisfactorily, then you can scale up.

There are few procedures described, CCl4 is indeed a weak one, but there with oven and the one with H2SO4 as well.

Go To Top