Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A curious observation of super cooling and annealing
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-9-2020 at 03:36
A curious observation of super cooling and annealing

I am aware of super cooling and annealing in metals in particular steel. It is also easily observed in pet bottles.

I received a white fluorescent smoke dye that was a white powder with specks of red, a mixture confirming my thought that it would be a mixture of three fluorescent dyes. However the powder showed no fluorescent effect. When I heated to powder in a test tube it melted to a transparent slightly red liquid which did give of a whitish fluorescent smoke. I let the test tube cool and it remained a very viscous liquid. When I heated it again particularly on the walls of the test tube small crystals and white spots formed which eventually melted again to a reddish transparent liquid.

I cooled the test tube this time in cold water and again a viscous liquid formed. About an hour later it was still transparent. However I noticed that if the test tube was warmed by my hand white spots formed on the test tube walls and if left in my hand eventually the liquid solidified to a whitish mass.

I assume the liquid was super cooled and the heat of my hand was sufficient to raise its temperature to its annealing point so that the crystals of its ingredients were able to form and grow.

That raises the question, when trying to get a stubborn liquid to crystallize it may be better to keep its temperature closer to its melting point than putting it in the freezer.

Watching the glowing wisps of smoke rising from the test tube under a black light looked strange as did the glowing patches on my fingers though nothing could be seen when the room lights where turned on.

[Edited on 9/13/2020 by wg48temp9]

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2020 at 08:55

Interesting. I've noted some tendencies towards this with some ammonium nitrate that stubbornly refused to crystallise. Put it i the fridge. Nothing. Then I gave up on it and put it on a room temperature shelf instead and in not too long, voila.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-9-2020 at 02:14

Where as an almost pure substance can super cool from a liquid state once some crystals form all the rest of liquid crystallizes as happens with hypo or even a bottle of beer left in the freezer too long. As in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0fURJg-K0A

But my dye is a mixture so even if small crystals of one or more of the ingredients does form at low temperatures they can not grow very large because they are limited by diffusion. When the temperature is higher the diffusion is much faster this allows more of the compound that is crystallizing to diffuse to the crystal and allows the other compounds to diffuse out of the way.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.

Go To Top