Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Single component rocket fuels
aromaticfanatic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 10:46

Quote: Originally posted by Fulmen  
I seriously doubt it will work, for a couple of reasons.
Your first problem is that most plasticizers are based on oils and waxes, and these have a fairly low boiling point. So they tend to act as burn rate retarders. I know pyro's have used oil to tune burn rates rather than changing the composition, a few percent makes a huge difference. The second problem is that it will most likely suffer from erosive burn as the propellant is subjected to high temperatures and very high gas flow rates.

Yea but there are some explosives like TACP that work as rocket fuels instead of detonating (unless you put a cap in it of course). Darian Ballard showed his plastic rocket fuel and it worked VERY well and produced a lot of thrust. The issue of course is the whole high explosive aspect.

I was not aware that oil is used to fine tune pyrotechnics, that is pretty cool.

Another thing I want to mention is that my plastic ETN was slightly OB negative however, the oil seemed to be used as fuel when detonated. So the oil can burn and add to the power but the VoD does go down and depending on % composition of the plastic the OB can dip into the negatives very quickly.

In fact my first plasticizing attempts were pretty horrible and it reeked of solvent and was super sticky. When it detonated it looked like a diesel engine rolling coal haha. It still performed extremely well and I was surprised to find my steel plate had been blown in half and thrown quite a bit away, leaving a small crater. It was around 10 or 15 grams of the plastic but I was still impressed nonetheless.

Some have also mentioned APCP with a binder and plasticizer working well as a rocket fuel so I am looking into that as well. The binder and plasticizer is supposed to be burned as well adding more overall energy.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 2-11-2020 at 03:17

aromaticfanatic:

First of all, I recommend trying out the classic rocket engine on BP. It requires jigs and a press to achieve high density. The black powder has a theoretical density of about 2.15 g / cc. At a density below 1.75 g / cc, deflagration develops rapidly until the explosion.
At a density higher than 1.75 g / cc, ie strongly pressed, BP burns in regular layers without the development of deflagration. For rocket engines, a density of 1.8 - 1.9 g / cc is recommended...:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2020 at 13:51

If you wan't (almost) single component, I would suggest that you look up the Jetex model rocket motor. Low power and temperature, but also quite safe. Based on guanidine nitrate. For more reliable function I would add a little Al powder, but of course, then it wouldn't be single component.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top