Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper DMSO complex + photos
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2021 at 10:16
Copper DMSO complex + photos

Hi. Today i made copper DMSO complex. Where I read it was written that anhydrous copper chloride had to be dissolved in absolute ethanol and DMSO had to be added dropwise. But I dissolved it in isopropyl alcohol instead of ethanol.

At first it was yellow, but then it turned green (not because of the water, because I did not add a drop of water). Then I put a small amount in the water and it dissolved incredibly fast. It is a very interesting compound and at the same time cheap to make.

PicsArt_01-02-10.13.57.jpg - 101kB

In water.
PicsArt_01-02-10.04.56.jpg - 1MB
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 2-1-2021 at 10:53

What stoichiometry?

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2021 at 11:29

CuCl2 + 2DMSO = Cu(DMSO)2Cl2
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2021 at 11:37

Can it be used for something interesting?

DMSO is absorbed right through the skin, i wonder if it would do the same with this complex.
That might be real bad, but interesting to know.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2021 at 07:53

@Mateo_swe I also thought about such an issue. DMSO is known to be absorbed by the skin. It is a well-known fact that if we dissolve sodium cyanide in it and this concentrated solution gets on the human skin, then the person will definitely die (of course I mean the lethal dose). This compound decomposed instantly into copper chloride and DMSO upon reaction with water. I do not know exactly how effectively copper is absorbed by the skin. But, if we can form a cyanocomplex, a selenite or selenate complex with a smaller atom, then we might also call this compound a chemical weapon. If possible such a compound would be extremely dangerous.

[Edited on 15-1-2021 by vano]
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 15-1-2021 at 15:49

As far as I know these are inorganic salts with DMSO instead of hydration water, not coordination compounds. There are other analogues; if you are interested, vano, please DM me so I can put here a couple articles with their preparations tomorrow.

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 15-1-2021 at 18:29

Most transition metal hydrates are also coordination compounds, so I'd be surprised if the DMSO wasn't coordinated.

I doubt two molecules of DMSO per formula unit is going to cause the substance to go through the skin like a chemical weapon.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-1-2021 at 02:21

I agree that a lot of metals form a complex. I also think that copper chloride in this particular case is not absorbed by the skin, or in very small amounts. But other compounds may be found, such as samarium, which can bind much more DMSO. I would like to know more about such compounds. For example, if DMSO is substituted, then the compound will become much more poisonous, there are many compounds that are much better absorbed by the skin and at the same time increase the toxicity of other poisonous compounds even more. Substances like this can kill a person, but I certainly do not think it will ever be considered a weapon of mass destruction.

Go To Top