Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: some questions about triethyl phosphate
dioxine
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-3-2021 at 22:36
some questions about triethyl phosphate

Hello

Searching for some relatively safe alkylation reactions with vanillin because im a beginner.

Good way to methylate vanillin with trimethyl phosphate but its unavailable for me ( Russia, Moscow). But seems like triethyl phosphate readily available instead.

Two dumb questions i have(sorry for that):
Is it theoretically possible to ethylate vanillin with TEP?

There is not so much data about toxicity. And some publications says LD50 - 1,311 mg/kg which is extremely dangerous. Is it a mistake and should be 1311 mg/kg?

and i also have never had any experience with this substance. What its feels like? It says its irritating. Is it like choloracetone(for example, but i dont think so) or relatively safe? Can it damage eyes by fumes?
Questions are really stupid but that because of lack of experience.

Any advises please.
Thanks a lot.

[Edited on 1-4-2021 by dioxine]
Newton2.0
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-4-2021 at 04:26

This is why we need an international standard for separation of integers and decimals. We write "one-thousand three-hundred and thirteen" as "1, 311" but that is the same as writing "1.311" in the US, which is off by a factor of one thousand. Such an irresponsible notation.

TEP is much safer than TEPP, or tetraethyl pyrophosphate. Just make sure you have the correct one. You are unlikely to harm yourself with TEP. You are extremely at risk with TEPP.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 03:17

Hunh? In the USA, the number he reports is 1,311 mg... One thousand, three hundred, and eleven...
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 05:28

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
Hunh? In the USA, the number he reports is 1,311 mg... One thousand, three hundred, and eleven...

And if he was in France (for example) the number he reported would be one point three one one.

The problem is a lack of a standard about using "," or "." to indicate decimal points and the use of "," or a space to separate digits into groups of three.
dioxine
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-4-2021 at 16:21

Thanks
Will try to ethylate vanillin and report then.

Go To Top