Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper Hydroxide
highpower48
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-7-2021 at 11:28
Copper Hydroxide

I was making some Copper Hydroxide using Nile Reds method. At 1st the wet in beaker participate was light blue/green. For some reason had a problem vacuum filtering. When i was done filtering and placed the participate on some paper towels to dry it turned a very dark green. It dried in a few days but developed a white color on some of the chunks. Now it is a very dark green with some white. The reaction was done at room temp. The copper sulfate pentahydrate was dissolved and then filtered to remove any impurity's. Distilled water was used. Any idea what has happened? Is this even Copper Hydroxide or something like copper oxide? Thanks

20210710_153635.jpg - 2MB
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 11-7-2021 at 17:17

Copper hydroxide prepared from sodium or potassium hydroxide is notorious for quickly decomposing into copper(II) oxide. AND that precipitate is highly gel-like and always difficult to filter. Using ammonia, like Nile Red did, does not form this same precipitate. Whether or not it is actually the same chemical compound, Cu(OH)2 or something else such as a basic sulfate, still doesn’t seem to be proven. I think you’d like reading the sciencemadness wiki to learn about compounds you want to prepare; it would’ve warned you in advance about some of these issues.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
12-7-2021 at 05:45
ChemTalk
Hazard to Self

Mood: colloidal

[*] posted on 16-7-2021 at 17:28

Like Amos said, you can get a couple different compounds when adding sodium or potassium hydroxide to copper sulfate, including some basic hydroxides. And they can turn in copper oxide. One I slowly added copper sulfate to sodium hydroxide and saw 4 distinct colors form.

What are you ultimately trying to form?

Go To Top